Celebrity Summit Cruise Review
2,435 Reviews

A Wonderful Summit Experience!

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by reginab1979

• Sail Date: May 2012
  • Destination: Bermuda

We just returned from our May 13th cruise to Bermuda. It was our 7th Celebrity cruise and our 4th Summit cruise. This was our first experience on Aqua Class. Based on many of the previous reviews I was frankly a little hesitant about the experience. But I can assure you that this cruise was one of our very favorites.

Embarkation was the quickest we've ever experienced. We arrived at the Bayonne Terminal at 10:30 am, dropped off our luggage, parked the car and within 20 minutes we were sitting at the Sunset Bar with a drink in hand. Amazing!

Our cabin was 1106 which was one of the new cabins on the 11th floor. Our stateroom attendant was Belinda who was just fabulous. She's had other wonderful reviews here and she deserves them! We really enjoyed the 11th floor because it seems a bit more private and secluded. There is also easy access by stairway to the Sunset Bar (one of our favorite places on the ship). Each day we had 2 or more bottles of Evian water provided for free. The veranda was clean and I never noticed soot coming from the smoke stacks as other people have noted.

Our dining each day was in Blu as opposed to the MDR. For us, the "jury is still out" concerning Blu. The service in Blu is exceptional. However I'm not really convinced that the food is all that terrific. We did find out that if there is anything on the MDR menu you can order it in Blu and it will be provided for you there. My husband, who is a very picky eater, did not really enjoy the Blu menu too much. The waiter noticed that he was not finishing his meals and immediately informed the maitre'd who questioned my husband. He informed my husband that they would actually cook something special for him. Amazing. We really enjoyed breakfast each day in Blu. Especially enjoyed the smoothies.

We also thought that the food at the buffet was outstanding and was far better than we remembered from previous cruises. If you cannot find something there to eat at lunchtime then you just aren't looking hard enough. A couple nights, (when we really weren't that hungry) we ate dinner at the buffet and enjoyed the pasta and Indian food offerings. It was also very good.

Overall the service and cleanliness of Summit is incredible. Whether at the pool or at a bar there are plenty of waiters ready to take your order or clear away a tray. Everyone you meet is pleasant and wonderful to the passengers. They are cleaning that ship non-stop.

We thought that the entertainment at the shows had also improved since our last cruise on Summit. The Cruise Director was very nice and imho does not deserve the negative reviews that she often receives here. Our favorite show was Sirens.

As I stated before our favorite bar is the Sunset Bar on deck 10 aft. One of the regular servers there is Patrick who knows how to take care of the passengers. We also enjoyed the Martini Bar. Igor is just incredible at making Martini Flights. (Have your camera ready for this one!). Cellar Masters is just so-so. We much rather have Cellar Masters on the S-class ships because it a separate room and not a walk though area.

We took the ferry to St. George and Hamilton while we were in Bermuda and especially enjoyed St. George. Watch that sun in Bermuda! You can get seriously burned even if it's overcast. Also, a warning please be VERY careful if you plan on renting a scooter at the Dockyard. A man from our cruise was killed, and his wife was hospitalized in critical condition on a scooter accident. It can be very dangerous.

We did have one problem on our cruise concerning our room. On our first night at sea we had a horrible sewer smell coming from the bathroom. It became so bad that it kept us up most of the night. The next morning I went to Kevin the Concierge and informed him of the problem. With 1 hour our cabin was inundated with "white shirts", plumbers and officers who were determined to fix the problem. Both Kevin and the head Maintenance Officer were so apologetic that we had to deal with one night of the sewer smell in our room. I know that I've read about these problems before on Summit but they dealt with it immediately and fixed it. This small incident did not ruin our cruise. In fact the care which the crew dealt with the situation increased our respect and admiration for Celebrity. My advice to you is if this happens in your cabin go to Guest Services or the Concierge and get it fixed.

Disembarkation was just as painless as embarkation. My husband said that we wait in line longer at Wal-Mart than we did going through Customs.

In conclusion this was a fabulous cruise and one that we enjoyed immensely. We're already booked on our next Summit cruise and can't wait to step back on her again.

reginab1979's Full Rating Summary