Our first cruise on Celebrity AND our first Transatlantic : Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by SuzieQ1944
Overall Member Rating
Our first cruise on Celebrity AND our first Transatlantic
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Rather than go into a lengthy description about Celebrity/Silhouette, here are my major comments:
- There is still a language barrier - the staff who work on ships are, of course, from all over the world. However, we were misinformed several times and because we have traveled a considerable amount, we knew to ask more than once. I always keep asking, until I find someone who speaks fluent English.
- The Silhouette is beautiful; new, clean, lovely. The specialty restaurants are great (we tried 3). Of course, this is optional/extra, but since it was our anniversary, we treated ourselves.
- There is also much talk about 'nickel & diming" More customers. Sorry to say that we agree about this. To pay $3.50 for a small bottle of water PLUS a gratuity fee, is ridiculous! On Royal Caribbean at least we received 'one' free bottle.
- The tours sponsored by the cruise line were pretty good (not cheap). However, it is a coin toss as to whether or not you will get a good guide (it ended up 50/50 for us).
- As far as transatlantic cruising - I don't think this is for us. The first 2-3 days at sea were not very pleasant - for us, really rough. We actually stayed in our room the second evening at sea. It was so rough that they postponed the first big show! It's just too "iffy" for us and was a kind of waste of time just getting to our destination. I realize many people don't feel this way, but I would prefer to just fly to where we can get the ship and sail from that port.
Oh, one more thing - as we departed from Rome (to come home), this is the busiest, most disorganized airport we have ever been to. We were there also last year, but this year, it was just horrible! We flew on Delta/AlItalia; total chaos, very very long lines, and just not a pleasant way to end a trip. Less
Cabin review: C21656 Concierge Class
Great location on the 11th floor. Wonderful balcony, quiet area, fantastic service (including room service). Although we have heard complaints about the storage area above the bed, we did not find it to be a problem; it was large, easy to access. The bathroom was wonderful! Larger shower, much more room, lovely amenities.Read All Concierge Class (C2) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
La Sagrada Familia
Florence Walking Tour
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Silhouette Review >>
Value for Money
Locations good, Ship experienc...
An enjoyable first time cruise
Wonderful First Time Celebrity...
Great vacation on the Adriatic...
Great itinerary, short stays