My friend won a FREE Holland America cruise and took me with her to the Eastern Caribbean! She had cruised the Western Caribbean in November and won the cruise at that time. I had never given cruising much thought as it seemed confining and pretty much all about eating. Boy was I wrong! I absolutely loved cruising. The attention to detail was amazing and the service crew that I interacted with were wonderful. Yes, there was TONS of food but the menus were creative - I don't think I ever had the same thing twice. There were countless things to do on the ship - food and computer classes, swimming, gambling, and entertainment in several areas. We especially enjoyed listening to the violin group and the gentleman at the piano bar. I never saw any rowdy behavior. It was truly the most relaxed I have been in a long time. I enjoyed our stops at the ports (never long enough!) but was surprised at how ready I was to return to the "mothership" at the end of the day. We had an interior cabin (it was free after all!) and I was surprised at how comfortable and roomy it was. I've had the same size hotel room in London. The bathroom was really nice, plenty of room even when we were both at the sink. The closets easily housed all our stuff (2 carry-ons, 2 large suitcases) and there was room to store the suitcases too. I was impressed at how well thought out everything was, from the disease prevention measures when we first boarded to the removal of luggage the night before our return. Well done. I could not have had a better experience.

Reluctant Cruiser

Shay's Sister’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Interior Stateroom
Cabin J 7096
This is next to the steward supply closet but I never heard any noise at all. I also never heard anyone talking outside in the hallway, kind of amazing really. There was a surprising amount of closet room and bathroom space. We had the room set up with 2 twin beds and it really was comfy. We were also very close to an elevator that went right up to the Lido food area and pool. The location was really ideal. The stewards took great care of us and replaced towels daily, which was nice. It would have been wonderful to have an ocean view but honestly, we just weren't in the room all that much. Perhaps we would have spent more time there if we'd had a balcony, who knows. I can honestly say that the lack of a window wasn't a problem.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Semi-Sub Expedition
    Very enjoyable, we saw lots of beautiful fish and underwater landscapes. The sub is located about 10 minutes away from where we docked so a small boat transports everyone over. This could be a problem for the easily sea-sick. A transfer is made from the transport boat to the dock/sub and this could be a concern for anyone with mobility issues. I was worried that I might have an issue with being on a sub but for anyone who's ever been on the submarine ride at Disneyland... this is very similar.
    View All 17 Semi-Sub Expedition Reviews
  • Half Moon Cay
    This was breathtakingly beautiful. We mostly swam and laid on the beach. The water was crystal clear and we could see brightly colored fish. I wish we had rented a clam shell (only $15, well worth it) as there was not a lot of shade available. Still, I had to be dragged back to the Eurodam at the end of a wonderful day.
    View All 958 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan
    I loved the architecture in San Juan, it was charming. There was some kind of court case being settled so there was more congestion that there would usually be. We had a wonderful meal (sorry, for the life of me I can't remember where) and then we hired a local cab driver to take us around. He was fluent in English and gave us an amazing amount of information during the 1 hour we were with him.
    View All 3,096 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    I have to give this a poor review for the following reason: our bus driver made several racist & bigoted comments. I could not WAIT to be away from him. When he wasn't discussing the Japanese and the French (he's not a fan) we enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Once he dropped us off at Blackbeard's castle we had a much better time but his comments really were off-putting.
    View All 85 City Tour Reviews