• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

DebiOliva
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Apr 2012
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

My daughter {22 years old} had been begging me to go on a cruise during her vacation time, which was also spring break. We live in Florida and cruise often on Royal Caribbean. I had checked the itinerary of the RC lines and none were going to decent beach destinations so I chose to try Celebrity since I had been told to try it since I loved RC so much as it was their "5 star line". I also had heard that Celebrity food was so much better than RC.

This cruise was a total joke from the beginning. First, I am Diamond Plus with RC and was told I would get the same perks as on RC. NOT! Even though I was labeled as Captains Club Elite, the only recognition I received was 2 red roses delivered to my room on the second day of the cruise. {I thought this was nice}. We were invited to have free drinks from 5pm to 8pm nightly in the Michaels Club but, we had dinner at 6pm and found it hard to attend when we needed to be dressed for dinner. They did not allow you to take the drinks. You had to sit and drink them there. And, by the time dinner was over, so was the event. So, this was useless. There is no reason to have the priority tender, embarkation or debarkation as there were no lines to begin with. The special robes that (on RC) are given to just loyalty patrons were given to everyone on board this ship.

Now, for the cruise itself. When boarding the ship, the crew was not friendly at all. There were no smiles, no welcome aboard, they just stood there. I even said hello to a couple and all I got back was hi. They did give you mimosas upon boarding though. But, this would have been so much nicer had they been standing at the gang plank with smiles and maybe a reggae band. But, they handed it out in the hallway when you got on the ship and most people missed out because it was kinda hidden. I noticed right away the rust and dirtiness of the ship. The windows instantly caught my attention with all the salt spray that had not been cleaned off. The drapes were dirty, so dirty in fact that you could see the dirt from the outside of the windows! The fabrics on the chairs were all worn. Some with holes in them. I seriously could not believe that RC could call this ship their 5 star line. I had already knew that this ship was scheduled for dry dock, but I had been on several of RC ships that were also scheduled for dry dock and none of them looked no where near as bad as this ship did. This ship doesn't need dry dock, it needs a complete over haul. We could not get into our staterooms until 2pm (RC has you in your stateroom by 1pm at the latest) so, we went to the dining room to use my so called "Captains Club" perks and get a table by a window. When I arrived and asked about this, they looked at me like a deer caught in headlights. After about an hour, I did get this finally arranged. Then off to the Ocean Cafe. THIS was a COMPLETE joke. IF you are a coffee drinker, don't take a cruise on this ship. Unfortunately, I am and found this out the hard way. Even though there are 3 drink stations in this cafe. Only one always had coffee cups. AND, because of this, the coffee was always out. So, you had to go to one coffee station get your cup then go to the back of the cafe to get your coffee. I thought well maybe since this is the first day, maybe it will get better tomorrow. NOT! This was the whole cruise. The food was "ok" but it was the same foods every single day. There was only 1 person maintaining each station so you waited in line for a long time for each peice of food. They serve you on this ship, you cannot go and get your own food. I thought this was a bad decision on Celebritys part. They do have ice cream on this ship but, again they serve you and again only one person their to dip the ice cream for you and that was always a huge line. AND the person doing it had no clue as to how to put soft serve on a cone. I wish I had taken a picture of this because this was hillarious. One string of soft serve which you could eat in two licks. SERIOUSLY!

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

Cabin 2C

Larger balcony than most. Quiet location. Abundance of storage. Nasty floors on balcony and bathroom.

Port Reviews

Falmouth

It rained a lot at this port. BUT Royal Caribbean did an excellent job making this port. It is beautiful. Just wish they had made a beach on it so you didn't have to leave the port. Beware, beyond the gates of this port is a scarey venture. I would not even consider walking beyond the gates. If you do leave the gate, make sure you do it on an excursion.

Also, when at this port be aware that if you get your picture made with any locals or men walking on stilts they will expect a donation. (The men on stilts are inside the port gates and hit you the minute you enter this port.)

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

Of all the ports of call in the Caribbean, this has to be the best by far! The island is not poverty stricken. People don't come up to you and ask for money. The island has the best beaches in the world. The water is crystal blue and the sand is as white as sugar. You are tendered to the port and it is surrounded by very nice shops and tons of things to do within walking distance.

I recommend taking a taxi to the "Reef Cafe". It is a part of seven mile beach with a beautiful tiki bar, swimming pool with cabanas, and the most beautiful beach on earth. It only costs 5 dollars a person to take a taxi to it and 5 dollars back. No entry fee. They rent chairs, floats, snorkels, waverunners, kayaks, etc there.

Find a Celebrity Millennium Cruise from $288