Viking Odin Cruise Review

Celebrating with Viking River Cruises onboard Viking Odin

Viking Odin Cruise Review by EuroTravelogue

• Sail Date: Mar 2012
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

From the moment I boarded the Viking Odin, my home for the inaugural cruise, I knew I was in for a special treat. From the friendly and courteous staff, some of whom I had grown quite attached to by the end of my cruise; to the amenities on board and in the cabins; to the unforgettable excursions; and yes, the glorious food--the scrumptious, delicious, gourmet food we delighted in each night. Plus, there many magical moments on board from sailing through locks and under bridges to cruising the rivers past idyllic landscapes, fascinating architecture and enchanting villages. I am still reeling from the entire experience and urge all who seek a leisurely and convenient way to see the sites of Europe, to see out Viking River Cruises for an unforgettable vacation that will create memories to last a lifetime!

Our first port-of-call was Volendam where upon arrival, we embarked on a journey through Edam--home of that most scrumptious cheese; Marken--a quaint seaside village on the shores of the Ijsselmeer and then back to Volendam for a stroll through narrow streets lined with quaint and uniquely Dutch architecture.

The next week, we awoke to the enchanting site of windmills barely visible in the misty horizon--Kinderdijk--where we learned about the miller's heritage and the workings of the windmills. We even climbed to the top of one of them. After lunch, we sailed to Rotterdam for a tour of the Hague to see the Queen's palace grounds and office, the Peace Palace and the Mauritshuis Musuem--home to "Girl with Pearl Earring" among other famous works of art.

Not only does Viking River Cruises operate world-class ships with exceptional guest service, they provide enriching and cultural experiences for all who sail from the accommodations and spectacular ships to the epicurean delights and immersive guided tours through the various ports of call. Above all that, I think what I enjoyed the most is the intimate setting on board these river-going vessels. To sum it all up, this will not be the last time I experience Viking River Cruises--they have a new fan for life!

EuroTravelogue's Full Rating Summary

Cabin DEL 221

Loved my cabin 221, with private veranda and refrigerator!! Plus, they offered 110 or 220 current for electrical devices. Cabin, bedding and service were exceptional!

Edam Walking Tour

Historic walk to through town followed by cheese tasting.

View All 13 Edam Walking Tour Reviews
Marken Walking Tour

Enchanting seaside village.

View All 11 Marken Walking Tour Reviews
City Tour

Canal-boat cruise through Amsterdam followed by tours through Jewish Quarter. Enriching!

View All 148 City Tour Reviews
Volendam Walking Tour

Wonderful seaside village with historic architecture.

View All 17 Volendam Walking Tour Reviews
The Hague

Fascinating journey through city.

View All 11 The Hague Reviews
Windmills of Kinderdijk

Nothing like Kinderdijk in the world...the windmills were fascinating.

View All 23 Windmills of Kinderdijk Reviews