3. Celebrity Summit

I don't have the time to do lots of details. We chose this cruise based on timing (final spring break for my college senior) and itinerary (wanted to get back to Dominica).

We had a good time in the ports arranging our own tours. Dominica was as special as I remembered, but we enjoyed all the ports. Still, this being about the 4th Carribean cruise, I am a bit burned out on the area.

Our earlier cuises--mid-late 90s to roughly 2003 were all Carnival or RCI. When we took an Alaskan cruise with Celebrity we felt it was a definite step up. But this cruise did not seem much different from the Carnival/RCI level. If I never hear HOT HOT HOT again it won't be too soon, so at least we were spared that kind of experience. But the vibe, the food, the service and about everything else didn't seem special. We did opt for open dining vs. assigned seating for convenience. That shouldn't have been an issue, but our waiters were just so-so. Honestly, the food did not seem a wit better than our last Caribbean cruise which was on Carnival.

We have done a couple of European cruises on RCI and 2 river cruises with Dielmann and Viking since our Alaskan cruise, so maybe we have experienced some upgrading there and it is not proper to compare that with the Summit Caribbean experience, I just don't know.

I get the impression that there is a trend to make Celebrity (and other similar lines?) a Cunard experiece--upper and lower class treatment. Many reviewers on Cruise Critic who had the Aqua Class experience and the fee-for-dining restaurants seemed to have had a much better experience. Do you think there has been a change in that direction?

I think we are ready for the next step up (Azamara or Oceania) or two (Regent, etc.).

Is it me?

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by buffaloaded

buffaloaded’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Inside Stateroom 9
Cabin 09 2107

We had an inside cabin on the second floor. AHAA you say, no wonder you weren't crazy about it. But we were not in the cabins much except to sleep and dress for meals. The kicker was that we had 3 in there, and the room had to be totally rearranged (and I mean drastically--by the head housekeeper himself) so we had more than a narrow space to get to the bathroom at night without killing ourselves. I think our cabin number was 2107. If I am wrong, it is only on the last digit. Knowing we had 3, maybe they should have found a different room for us.

Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins