• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

sunshine221
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Mar 2012
Cabin: Extended Balcony

This was our eighth cruise, our seventh on Carnival. We selected this cruise because it goes to some different ports than we've seen before and we really wanted to go to Aruba because many friends have gone there.

I think because of the different itinerary and perhaps because it was 8 days it was not the first cruise for most people on board and also it was not their first Carnival Cruise. There were many Platinum Status customers on-board.

It was not a "wild" group but it wasn't totally "quiet" either.

Extended Balcony

Cabin 8K

Typical cabin interior - fine for our needs. Extended balcony was nice but not necessarily worth extra cost to us.

Port Reviews

La Romana (Casa de Campo)

I heard a fair amount of negative publicity about this port so we stuck to a sightseeing tour. We were driven though a tourist compound, we had a nice boat ride on the river. There was not a lot of wildlife to be seen and then we went to the Altos de Chavon art village. This appeared to be an artist village built for tourists. I wasn't impressed. I'd rather not come back to this port but if I do I think I'll try to go see the fishing village.

We had a pleasant time on this excursion but I felt it wasn't "the real Dominican Republic" -- I'm pretty sure we were on private property the whole trip. The boat ride was nice but there was not a lot of wildlife. We thought we were going to have about 1 ½ hours at the village but the driver gave us 2 ½ and most of us were bored. The art village had virtually no activity. Some in our group tried to get lunch and left without getting their food. We were there from about 11:30 to 2 -- one store closed for lunch about the time we got there and said he was reopening around 2?? If you want to sightsee this is fine but next time I would pick a different excursion.

1 Helpful Vote