2. Cruise Lines
  4. Costa Serena Review
  5. Costa Serena Cruise Reviews
1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: March 2015

We arrived early hours into Dubai in the early hours of the morning, and got a taxi to the ship – approx. £12. So Easy.

Check in for the ship was really smooth and quick. A representative at the terminal greeted us, asked us to take a seat and helped us fill in our embarkation forms. He took our labels and put them on the cases, these were then taking from us and appeared outside our cabin shortly after. After a quick embarkation photograph we boarded. They kept our passports and advised these would be available for collection in Abu Dhabi. Our Key cards were in our cabin waiting for us.

We were advised that they had kept the buffet open until 5am for guests arriving through the night. Check in at been open from approx. 3pm the previous day – and closed at 8am for a 10.30am sailing. We had chosen to arrive later due to our holiday restrictions. The food was just snacks, burgers/sandwichs/pizza which was fine, we had eaten all day anyway this was possibly just a combination of curiosity and greed.

I am a massive Celebrity Cruises fan so I was apprehensive about my soon to be Costa Experience. When we went to the restaurant, I noticed the décor was very ‘bold’ and ‘Italian’. Being tired, I withheld any judgement until the following morning. I never feel like you make a correct assumption about a place when you arrive in the early hours…. Tired and ready for bed.

We opted for the Inside Premium Cabin on Deck 7 – more so because I like to choose our dining times, we prefer late sitting. Also, this was an extra holiday that we squeezed in so we were budgeting. I haven’t done an Inside cabin before – again apprehensive. Although, we were tired first impressions exceeded my expectations. The cabin was spacious, the bed was huge and comfortable and superclean. I would say dated, but I am spoiled by the likes of Celebrity. I was more than happy with our selection and my husband felt the same. We climbed into bed and drifted off. Wondering what the Costa Serena held for us… We didn’t know it at the time… we were in for a treat.

Despite our assumptions of the Inside cabin (we like an oceanview normally) being dark and claustrophobic, with no natural light, we found we woke up easily after a great nights sleep in such a comfortable bed and it was completely the opposite of what we thought it would be. Now time to explore. We grabbed our towels and headed out.

Personally, I find the first day of the cruise, when everyone is doing the same rather tedious. We went for breakfast and it was so busy. I did the usual ‘have we done the right thing?’ quietly to myself. Breakfast was great, no complaints, other than it was so busy with other guests. As I have cruised before I know that the first day is so busy – everyone is on ship so it’s expected. I was already starting to see the excellent levels of service from the staff.

We headed outside to find a sunbed, again when everyone is on-board doing the same thing it can prove to be difficult – however, we did find two in a nice spot. We always got a bed no problem for the rest of the cruise. There were towels provided for pool use, these are in your cabin. They try to deter sunbed reserving by charging if towels are mot returned to the cabin.

We were approached (almost immediately) by a lovely member of the bar service team who took our order. In no time at all we were relaxed, drink in hand and got out our ‘whats on today’ (or whatever you like to call it) and were scanning through the delights on offer. There was so much, it soon came apparent that we were NEVER going to be bored.

We aren’t ones for joining in with the entertainment but we love people watching. I tend to find us Brits are quite reserved, but with our fellow international passengers on-board – there is ever a dull moment. The entertainment team work so hard to keep everyone happy. The ship had a buzz, and by the end of our first drink… we did too.

We had purchased the drinks package for £144pp, the drinks were around 5 euros for a beer and little bit more for cocktails so I would highly recommend the packages even if you don’t drink alcohol. Water was by the glass on the package, but you could buy bottled water for a very small charge. I was happy with the quality of the drinks and the service was impeccable. We rarely waited for the service to our beds or at the bar areas.

The décor is quite unusual. Costa Serena ‘Land of the Gods’ is how it sounds – lots of pictures of gods and goddesses everywhere. The atrium has these ‘gods’ looking down on you, we had a bit of a laugh about it initially but actually it’s not as offensive on the eyes as it sounds. It is very clean and there is lots going on. It actually reminded us of a themed hotel in Las Vegas, and we loved Vegas.

We had a great first day relaxing into our first Costa Experience and met some lovely people.

Evening Meal

We had requested the late sitting for evening meal. We were allocated 9pm in the Vesta restaurant Aft of the ship. We were on the upper tier and had a table for two.. surprisingly. I am not sure if this is due to the different languages on-board and mixing the tables up may have been a problem with conversing, but we were really happy. Our waiter introduced himself and his ‘second in command’ and we felt spoiled rotten with the service. My wine and water were constantly topped up. They do only serve beer and wine in the restaurant so if you prefer something from the bar, then you would need to take this in with you.

I must say the wine wasn’t the best, My husband said he would never of guessed as I still had three glasses topped up – his point being it can’t have been that bad. We had to laugh again when I asked for a wine list and our waiter said in the friendliest way ever ‘I tell you the wine list… white, red or rose!!!!!’ and giggled his head off. Unless you have purchased a wine package this seems to be the only options, I actually didn’t mind it too much, it certainly didn’t ruin the dining experience.

The menu was six courses each evening, on the first night we ordered just three however, spent the rest of the holiday taking five. The portions were small but really tasty. If you have holidayed in Italy then the food standards were very similar. I didn’t have a bad meal once on the cruise. Typically the menu offered a selection of each course, For example I chose:

FISH BROTH

SEAFOOD RAVILOI

SALAD SELECTION

CRUSTED HAKE WIH VEGETABLES

CHEESE SELECTION (don’t get over excited about this, it was bruschetta with 3 pieces of cheese and a chutney of some kind)

TIRAMASU

They tended to have fish/meat/vegetarian options each evening and they also offered 2 simple choices which were the same every evening ‘chicken and veg’ or ‘spaghetti bolognese’.

We met a lady on the cruise who was in the Ceres restaurant and she was lactose intolerant, she told us that every evening they highlight the menu what she could have or made her special alternatives. As with all cruises if you have any requests, you just have to ask. Nothing is too much trouble I have found.

The service was fantastic in the restaurant and when we talked to people they said the same.

Gala Evening - The main differences from other evenings were the menu was a scroll which the waiters opened for you, and you got a complimentary glass of fizz after your meal.

Now something I have never experienced on a cruise, but had been told about by one of my colleagues before we travelled, was the little surprises which Costa likes to deliver when you don’t expect it. I don’t want to spoil it but let’s just say our waiters served us up more than just great food and attention in the restaurant.

Dress Code

Dress code is suggested on this cruise but not enforced. I personally like to dress for my evening meal. I tend to wear a dress most evening and cocktail dress for gala nights, my husband wore a dark suit for gala nights and trousers/chinos with a nice polo shirt or shirt on normal nights. If you don’t like to dress up then smart casual was fine. I sometimes thought the attire was too casual, one lady had hotpants, heels and a vest top – whilst she looked stunning, I think this has more to do with the difference in fashion from the different nationalities but I always felt comfortable in my choice.

Bars/Lounges/Entertainment

There are an abundance of meetings places and ongoing entertainment on-board Costa. Most nights we had a pre dinner drink in Apollo and watched the live music and guests dancing. After dinner we looked at what was going on and made our way to the bar which most appealed.

Shows – we were dining at 9pm so the shows were on for us at 7pm. Part of our holiday tends to be coming in after our excursions/day in Port reflecting on what we had done and having a cocktail to unwind and get ready at leisure. We missed the main show every night but made the effort to attend the ‘non-professional’ show one night as it was on slightly later. For a non professional show, of which Costa had handpicked some hidden talent from them service team, I have to say that I was moved to tears a couple of times due to the quality of the singers that Costa had produced, which took me by surprise. The show was fantastic – I have never seen such a high level of talent on any cruise and I have to say it rivalled some professional artists I have seen. Just ‘WOW’. The times of the shows just didn’t suit us but it didn’t ruin our overall holiday enjoyment, there were so many alternatives that fitted in with the way we holiday, that we didn’t know what we were missing… we were having too much of a good time.

Every evening we walked through the Chocolate Bar which was always busy – it had live music and a chocolate fountain/chocolate shop and bar. We didn’t sample it because we always seemed to go through it on the way to dinner, but it looked so fun and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

We did go to the nightclub a couple of times for a bit of a dance, as we had met some people. The main difference I found with Costa compared with other Cruise Lines was it kept going into the early hours, without imposing on other guests who don’t want the noise or want an early night. I tend to find that other cruises seem to slow down to stop around midnight.

White Party – They converted the main pool areas into an open air party over 3 levels. This was absolutely bouncing. White attire is optional but many people took part and it looked great. They fired off white confetti cannon’s and I felt it could rival a party in Ibiza. Infact a couple of people we met did actually say ‘ I feel like I am in Ibiza’, I was really impressed. There were all ages enjoying it. Again, I feel the international clientele we shared our cruise with played a big party in the fun atmosphere on board. They had a large screen which showed the guests dancing and also the ice sculpted reruns which we had missed. It certainly was a party atmosphere. Everyone seemed to be having so much fun. The entertainment team mingled with the crowds and professional dancers strutted their stuff. There were other things going on elsewhere on the ship, but we soaked up the party atmosphere.

Would I choose Costa Again?

Overall, knowing what we paid for this cruise - the quality of holiday we got for our money was fantastic. Everything was as advertised, and mostly exceeded our expectations. This was a fun and value for money cruise, with service we could not fault.

I find the negative reviews I read on Cruise Critic unfair, I think my husband took them almost personally.

I would without doubt choose Costa again.

Sail Date: February 2015
Overall very good experience, tasty food, a-la-carte portions were small, but very tasty. We purchased all inclusive drinks package, which was good value for money. Very good entertainment, piano bar- fab! I personally have been sawn into pieces on the stage by the Italian magician ! Portrait photos were very good quality and prices have been reduced from our last cruise with Costa 3 years ago. My daughter enjoyed kinds club, I used spa, which was a bit overpriced and the state of the art gym. I wish we purchased cruise and stay as 1,5 days were not enough to explore Dubai. Read Less
Sail Date: February 2015

We had a great time - much better than expected. We had a balcony cabin this time which we loved. Bigger than many other ships. Similar formula to most other cruises except for no casual evening buffet. We had opted for late sitting so didn't really notice it. We also arrived from an overnight flight and just changed at the airport and got a taxi to port and dropped our bags off then taxi into Dubai. I noticed lots of people sitting in terminal building and some asking to get on at that time!!! They seemed a bit annoyed that they had to wait until 3pm, but no other cruise would let you on at this time so why would Costa?We returned about 6'ish and got straight on with no queues. We sat around for a short time as everyone was told that cabin entry would be 8.30pm. We thought this quite odd that they would all be ready at the same time so went and had a look and ours was ready and I'm sure others would have been too. Food the first night was awful but perfect after that so no complaints. We did take our travel kettle etc with us so that also made a difference. No problem taking water on board from ports. Great time for a great price - would now go with Costa again. Ports were easy but been to all before so Muscat was new for us and we had a fantastic beach day at Shangri-La resort with lunch. Beautiful place and would love to return. The souqs were good if you want souvenirs. Biggest tip for anyone going to Dubai would be to get around using the metro. Its a really cheap way to see the sights. You can download a map of the metro stations and just get a taxi to the nearest stop. You can also get a separate mono rail to Atlantis which has wonderful panoramic views. Dubai is getting a bit more expensive all round but the quality is always there and always so much to see. Our last night was spent at Meydan Racecourse which has the wow factor and only costs a few pounds each for an upgraded seat.

1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: January 2015

We have just returned from a lovely holiday on the Costa Serena visiting, Dubai, Muscat, Khasab and Abu Dhabi. We have travelled on Costa before so were prepared for the typical Italian style. Checking in could have been an issue if you just had just flew in early in the morning as access to cabins was not until the evening. We were staying in Dubai before so arrived about 5pm which was perfect and the checking in process efficient. We found everything clean and comfortable but the ship's decor is looking a little tired. The food was very good. We didn't always get what we thought we might but it was never bad but we are adventurous. There was no shortage of sun loungers on deck but that didn't stop the inevitable "reserving with towels". Pool towels were provided and changed in the room. The optional drinks package was worth taking out to make the stay "all inclusive". Sadly Costa no longer include bottles of mineral water and there was a silly situation of people taking several glasses of water to their cabins to drink. The water provided in the cabin was charged separately at a ridiculous price. Also we discovered too late that a kettle and tea and coffee facilities are not provided in the cabin either. Another annoyance was that there was only one electrical power point. We were juggling with charging, phones, tablets and camera batteries. A hair dryer was provided separately. Entertainment was excellent and we liked the way that both early diners and late diners are able to watch the shows as there are two every night, except one when it was the Captain's Cocktail party, but the timings were arranged around that. The Samsara spa was lovely, using Elemis products but it is a bit expensive. We counted approx 15 nationalities of guests on the ship and announcements were made in Italian, English, French, German and Spanish. We only took one excursion arranged by the ship and it was very good. Other guests spoke highly of their excursions too and they were well arranged. Costa also had city Big Bus services meet the ship in Dubai and Anu Dhabi. All in all a good trip.

Sail Date: January 2015

This was our first cruise. I booked this cruise as a Christmas present for my wife via a local travel agent. I originally booked a Junior Suite, but the we got upgraded to an Owner Suite.

We flew Palanga Lithuania to Copenhagen, ... Read More

We flew Palanga Lithuania to Copenhagen, wondered around in the cold and had a good meal before catching the SAS overnight to Dubai. SAS, even in economy provide much more leg room than Airbaltic, the only other option from here. Add to that the free meal, drinks and entertainment, well worth the little extra it costs for SAS.

We arrived 06.30 hours in Dubai, fairly quick immigration although my wife's Lithuanian passport (despite Visa) meant an eye scan and a lot of tutting.

We had booked a car through Alma to take us to Metropolitan Deira hotel for breakfast and a quick sleep. That hotel was not the best, breakfast very simple, hotel room smelt of cigarette smoke and it was noisey. Having said that we ere so tired we slept well.

At 14.00 caught a taxi to the Cruise Terminal. As it was our first cruise we did not know the format and got in the wrong queue, probably as a result of still being a little tired and not seeing signs. They were there for Owner suites, we just did not see them until too late.

The Andromeda suite was just fantastic..much larger than we thought it would be, extremely comfortable and tastefully decorated. We couldnt stop smiling.The Went to the Wind Jammer for late lunch..buffet style but of surprisingly good quality for mass feeding.

First dinner was a mess..a lot of confusion on tables, ours had other people sitting at it and it took the head waiter half an hour to sort it out, depsite his assurances that it would take only a couple of minutes. One man was getting really angry with the mess and was escorted away by security, but frankly he deserved it, he was pushing staff around.Once we sat, our waiter Ivan and his assistant gave us wonderful service and again a surprisingly good quality meal with lots of choice. I really was surprised, feeding 1000+ people in a sitting is a tough job to do well.

Second day in Fujeirah, as with many we did not get off, not a lot to see there according to all reports. Spent the day sunning ourselves, relaxing and finding our way around this wonderful piece of engineering. Brilliance really is a phenominal ship. This evening we found out that our gold cards entitled us to free drinks in the concierge club..given the price of wine in the bars, that was a real bonus! And everyone in the club so friendly and relaxed..in fact same applied to whole ship.

3rd/4th Day in Muscat Oman..a wonderful town with friendly people. We took shuttle bus to Port gates and had decided to walk into town as lots of taxi drivers being quite pushy for their services..however once we got past that a very pleasant and friendly, not pushy at all young man approached us and in very reasonable terms offered us the two hour drive around to all the sites. We agreed USD60 for this service. His name is Hamed zizo105h@live.com and would recommend him thoroughly. He took us everywhere in town and out, to the palaces, Mosques, out to the magnificent 5 star hotel along the beach and then out to the hotels where beaches were. He stopped everywhere for photo opportunities and worked hard to tell us all details..but he applied no pressure to do anything, just what ever we wantd to do..we were impressed. Once Hamed took us back we walked down the Corniche near the port. That was not so impressive, but the souk was interesting. The cafes were a little grubby but staff and the fresh juices were pleasant enough.

5th Day Abu Dhabi--a mini Dubai, with lots of impressive things to be seen and obviously it will become bigger as lots of construction going on. We went to the USD3bn hotel where all the Sultans/Sheiks of UAE stay, very impressive, the Marina mall, and a few other places in downtown area...really enjoyed it and would go back for closer exploration.

6/7th Days..Back to Dubai..a city we love. Lots has been written here on Dubai and I dont need to add a lot. After the cruise we had an extra 2 nights at Atlantis the Palm, and what a real treat that was too! Highly recommend it, so much to see and do there that you wont want to go into town. SLightly spolied by a sand storm but not so bad that we could venture onto the beach.

As for Brilliance of the Seas..following summary

Accomodation-Fantastic

Service-very good, from the lads who did the room (and amused us greatly with their towel sculptures) to our waiters in the restaurant, to The Concierge club staff, to the bar staff and entertainment staff. All very service orientated, except for the head waiter (of entire restaurant) who ran around a lot making lots of noise but didnt seem to achieve much. Thankfully Ivan and his assistant more than made up for that.

Route-very interesting, but maybe another day in Abu Dhabi rather than Fujeirah would be more interesting.

Entertainment-Generally very good, we enjoyed it.We did try a murder mystery dinner in Portofino restaurant one night..that cost more and was not very good, the only disappointing meal.

Food- excellent considering the numbers they have to cook for

Overall experience..fantastic

Drawback-the only thing that really irritated me was the tipping system. Not only is 15% added to every bar bill for service (including the mini-bar) but then you are expected to tip the waiters, room staff and all others at the end of the week..double tipping and at not small percentages! I had no qualms about tipping the staff who looked after us well at the end of the week, but 15% on each bar bill is way over the top and unecessary. And beware, prices shown on the menu are before the service charge, so a USD40 bottle of wine actually costs USD46.

If Royal Carribean could get that right, they would have a real winner, but for us, it was excellent and much better than we had dreamed. We will definitely go again.

Sail Date: January 2015

easy going,slick and fun.

check in and check out easiest every been on any cruise. Mix of clientele from all different countries ( so no british sunbed wars like on P and O or drunks )

all inclusive was the better option ... Read More

easy going,slick and fun.

all inclusive was the better option as was expensive.

First day on ship let them down as buffet tea on deck hot dogs and beefburgers not great but redeemed themselves post this.

You can stay on ship till your flight is ready for to leave never had this before always kicked of in the morning.

emirates' are not what expected and are really lovely

negative - mandatory gratuities

Sail Date: January 2015

the embarkation was the nightmare we were warned about but when we finally got our cabin we really enjoyed the cruise.the ship was great,the cabin was great the itinerary was great and the crew were great.....for the most part.the only issue we had with the whole cruise was that the breakfast service was shocking.it was so bad that after 2 days we started eating breakfast in the buffet restaurant which had almost the same choices as the ceres.the all in drinks package was a bargain.the food was really good too.

Entertainment was a mixed bag but luca in the in the piano bar next to the casino was really good.

If this company has made the cutbacks that previous reviewers have stated then all i can say is that this must have been an amazing deal before hand.

Sail Date: December 2014
First cruise I’d ever been on and found it positively delightful. This was a dream, as it’s Italian so enjoyed the relaxing feel. Had the best time. Beautiful ship with stunning Venusian designs on lifts. Impressive throughout. The best pina~colada ever. I had them every single night and nobody has been able to get them right since off the ship!They put some ice cream in them and they are irresistible. I love Italian food and there were plenty of pasta, pizzas and lots of healthy salads so I enjoyed the food as plenty of variety. I also love cappuccinos and my cigarettes so was able to feel at home. Had the best highlighting for my hair too so a bonus and plenty of beauty treatments onboard at good prices and I took home lots of products. Highly recommend the facials as well as hairdressers. Fabulous cabins,we had a twin room which was fully stocked with everything we needed so you don’t really need to take much with you .Exceptional cleaning and very hard working, friendly staff. I love gambling and plenty of slot machines to choose from in casino. This company really know how to look after they're customers and I met some great people. At Christmas we all had a gift in our rooms and there was a beautiful chocolate fountain in one of the many stunning bars.I just didn’t want to get off the ship at the end of it and would love to go on the other costas . Cofu and Rome were lovely and they have coaches to take you there and pick you up and plenty of day trips that are simply exceptional. Everything and I mean everything about it made it the most wonderful experience of my life and we even met four people onboard who we are still friends with and meet up and send Christmas cards too. This cruise ship is luxurious and everything,all details are catered for, so you can just enjoy the best cruising experience of your life. Read Less
Sail Date: December 2014

We flew to Milan and spent a night there before joining a coach to Savona to board the Costa Serena. Quaotic lack of organisations on at Milan airport with a total lack of proper organisation and little better when boarding. However we are both wheelchair boarding passengers and this was arranged reasonably well. Cabins were more than adequate, clean and comfortable with excellent steward care

Food was excellent in both the dining room and the buffet always a good selection with some superb pasta dishes, always a highlight with Costa. Lunchtime buffets offered a good selection of meats and fish with giant shrimp a regular and very popular offering. Water service was excellent with our waiter Andrew always remembering individual lies and dislikes. Gala nights really were gala offerings.

Entertainment wasn't very good but considering the number of nationalities on board the ship obviously the choices available to the organisers were greatly reduced as with quizzes questions had to be asked in several languages

Excursions were expensive and somewhat erratic in the organisation, sometimes nearly an hour late leaving another time leaving slightly early before all guests booked had arrived. Staff did their best to smooth things out,offering alternative outings where possible but it was still rather irritating.

Cost Serena is an older ship and her deck plans leave quite a lot to be desired as it is sometimes necessary to go up to deck 5 and walk the length of ship to use a second lift back to deck 3.

Overall it was a very enjoyable cruise and excellent value for the amount it cost. The itinerary was excellent and allowed us to see something of the very different culture of the Middle East and the Gulf States

All crew (with the exception of one singularly grumpy reception desk attendant who seemed to delight in being unhelpful and earned herself a nickname throughout the ship) were friendly and helpful towards two golden?oldies and we enjoyed ourselves a lot but really do wish Costa would stop their greedy system of taking relatively large amounts from passengers daily on the pretence of them being tips when a quick chat to crew tells a very different story of reduced wages and minimal tips. A truly unfair system makes cruisers think we have to pay the crews wages as well as for our holiday!

Costa Serena Ratings