2. Cruise Lines

Poor English speaking staffs

Cabin carpet needs cleaning

Charged water at restaurant

Few choices of the food

Poor entertainment activities for kids, only 1 ping pong tables and 3 football tennis tables

Poor show arrangement

Messed up excursion

Worst disembark experience! Had to go back to port to pick up missing luggage. Unresponsive staffs!!!

Costa --- first time and last time!

Sail Date: August 2014

This was not my family’s first time on a cruise liner, however Costa surpassed our expectations.

Our trip immediately started on a good note. Even though we were quite skeptical for the embarkation procedure I have to say it was flawless. The staff was very helpful and midday sharp we boarded the ship, an hour before planned. As soon as we boarded the ship we were instructed that lunch was available at the Christopher Columbus restaurant. The food was excellent, both quality and quantity were present.

At two our rooms were ready. It is easy to note the cleanliness of the ship. The rooms are cleaned twice a day.

Before we boarded the ship we had decided to take the all-inclusive beverages packet. I must say that it was an excellent idea. The package has a vast variety of alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages.

Regarding the excursions the Costa crew is very organized and efficient. All our excursions were worth our money.

The entire staff on Costa Fortuna is very friendly and does their best to make sure you have the best holiday you can imagine.

Throughout the day there are different activities and they continue throughout the night; games, shows and music are never absent.

For our disembarkation we had decided to take a final excursion with Costa which ended at the airport. Again we were assisted and everything went according to plan.

All in all we had an amazing holiday on Costa Fortuna and we cannot wait to go back on one of their ships!!!!

Sail Date: March 2014

Our first time experience of cruising was not the best.

Very disappointed - in summary:

Our first time experience of cruising was not the best.

Very disappointed - in summary:

# playing pop music throughout the whole ship at 10am- even in the cabins! So if you've decided to sleep in or have a hangover and want peace and quiet, or even just having got your baby to sleep, you can't because you regaled, at significant volume by Eric Clapton and co! Why not just the public areas if you have to?

# endless ship announcements. Our 2pm siesta one afternoon, constantly interrupted by ship announcements over two hours culminating in 'BINGO BINGO' with all the joining details shouted in FOUR languages at which point I gave up and went for a coffee

# ONE English speaking tv channel out of thirty five!

# There's a reason the upfront cost seems very reasonable - everything else 'additional' is a rip off, e.g. Euro 20/ hour for the internet. The ship is aptly named, extras 'Cost a fortune' The spa was unusable due to extortionate pricing

# I only made one successful attempt at ordering room service, against countless attempts diverted to an ansaphone. Not once did I get to customer services from the room. When I complained, I was told 'we only have one phone'. That was it! Not interested.

#if you're into decor designed by a crack addict whilst concurrently experimenting with glue sniffing and heroin, this is the ship for you! It's so bad it's almost, almost I say, quirkily good - but not quite. Migraine sufferers are advised to avoid. It's now tired and very, very dated.

# no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, which is EXTREMELY annoying when you wake/ get back to your room and fancy a cuppa. You can't even use room service (see above) because no one picks up the phone.

# your allocated seat in the main restaurant is yours for the duration. There is no rotation, you're with the same people every night in the same restaurant - unless you take the daytime cafeteria buffet option. Maybe that's normal for a cruise, but we found if irritating.

# the rose wine served with our lunch would strip paint off of cars. It was beyond 'cheap'.

# evening show. Watching a juggler spinning plates and throwing bummer angus around, is something I was watching 40 years ago. A skilful guy definitely, but strictly very, very ho-hum entertainment.

Finishing on some good things:

We purchased the drinks package and list of cocktails included was very good

Asian bar staff by enlarge were very friendly. Our room 'concierge' was exceptionally friendly despite appearing to be on duty 24/7

Room (with balcony) was comfortable and the AC was good

Ship was clean

Gym was reasonable

Overall, we can see the potential of cruising, despite Costa's efforts, and will try again in about 10 years in a more up market company. In the end, you pay for what you get.

Sail Date: March 2014

It did not start well - an overnight flight from the UK which was very squashed and uncomfortable (Emirates. VERY disappointing) and then we were in the embarkation area by 9.30am and told we would not have a cabin until 20.00. We were ... Read More

It did not start well - an overnight flight from the UK which was very squashed and uncomfortable (Emirates. VERY disappointing) and then we were in the embarkation area by 9.30am and told we would not have a cabin until 20.00. We were appalled.

Luckily we managed to get a good armchair each and catch up on some sleep.

Then there was a mad surge forward around 3pm and it was utter chaos. We began to panic thinking we had come on the 'Ryanair' of cruises.

However, somehow our chairs were near the front and we slipped into the queue and the embarkation was then painless and quite efficient although I would not have been able to stand for several hours as the people at the back must have done.

We went on board and ate on Deck 9 at the lido grill and all was well. I went off to locate our cabin and was told we could not have it until 20.00 (it was 16.00 then and I had a dreadful headache and this seemed totally unreasonable)

I spoke to the steward and explained I felt unwell and needed to lie down and amazingly he said we could have the cabin at 18.00 and sure enough we did.

After that it was pretty much perfect. We had balcony cabin 8439 at the back of the ship and it was fine. The air conditioning was a little noisy but the main problem was a 'squeaky wardrobe' when the ship was in motion overnight. This really was irritating.

Cabin steward Joe anticipated our every need and was faultless, absolutely SUPERB.

We ate on the early sitting in the Michelangelo restaurant for 6 nights and at the buffet on deck 9 for one.

We didn't care for the pushing and shoving in the self service and greedy people in shorts and singlets piling it high.

We didn't go to any of the entertainment as not our thing - we sat on our balcony and read. Bliss. We retired early as all the trips started early.

The trips were superb, really enjoyed them all, excellent guides.

We did Niswa and Jabrin Castle, Mystical Muscat (LOVED Muscat) Khasab and surroundings, Abu Dhabi and Dubai city tours. All brilliant.

We thought the ship was great, we have no complaints about the decor and I especially liked the rear sundeck on deck 9 and the adults only pool which I mostly had to myself every day for half an hour or so.

We have confidently recommended Costa cruises to our friends (and everyone sneered when we were going because of what happened to the Concordia) and we will certainly travel with them again if they go where we wish to travel.

Sail Date: February 2014

We arrived at the port at 1230 to find that the earliest time boarding could take place was 1500 and we were told that we were lucky as we were really not due to board until 2000!! The conditions at the embarkation point were very poor and most people were standing for over 2 hours as there were very few seats. It was a total ‘free for all’ when boarding commenced. No order or priority on arrival time. I have never experienced anything like it. When we did get on board we were told that NO cabins would be ready before 2000. I have never know this on any other ship. Usually availability of staterooms is phased and announced. It seems ridiculous for everyone to have to wait until 2000. Some people had been travelling all night and had been at the port since very early in the morning. The weather was good to sit on deck but there were no towels for the sunbeds as these are supplied in the staterooms so the waiting was not comfortable. Food was available in the buffet and it was adequate.

We had booked first sitting for dinner as we had been told sittings were 1900 or 2100. However, it turns out the sittings are 1800 and 2030 which makes a big difference. We were lucky to be able to change to 2nd sitting as 1800 is really too early. The ship is looking dated and in need of refurbishment but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with it. The food wasn’t fantastic but again nothing wrong with it. The crew were all delightful, friendly, helpful and professional. We did not experience any language problems. The ship was clean and our suite was spacious and well equipped. We may have been lucky having a suite as we met 2 ladies who had a dreadful time in an inside cabin and were totally frustrated by the lack of response from customer service. The 4 trips we went on were well organised, interesting and value for money. The evening theatre entertainment was superb. The drinks package was very good value although it could be made more clear that bottles of water are not included and they are expensive. We were able to obtain drinks easily whenever we wanted them.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Costa Fortuna, the only downside really being that the ship is old and it shows but having cruised with Cunard, NCL and Princess (which were all much more modern ships and the food was better) I would certainly cruise with Costa again and I am at a loss to understand some of the adverse comments about the Fortuna on the reviews.

Sail Date: February 2014

firstly let me say that i wrote a very bad review once before about costa and their attitudes so i can only blame myself.

we arrived in dubai at 8am and went straight to the ship , we were told that we could not get on the ship until 3pm...not a problem as my wife told me that the shops were open .we reurned at 1.30 pm as by this time we were physicly exhausted with the hope that we might get on early , no was the answer, they would not issue boarding cards until exactly 3pm .as most people will realise by 3pm there were over 250 people involved in a bun fight to get to the front of the line.my wife protested three times that we could get our cards and then wait until time to board but was told with some glee that this was the system that was used and that it worked great for them .about 8 of them were standing about for over an hour drinking the free tea and coffee.

when we finaly got on the ship we were not allowed into our cabin , we were sent to the buffet on deck 9 which was virtually empty of food , then on asking were told we would not get in the cabin until 8pm .

ship.....................9 out of ten

food.....................5 out of ten

tour costs.............0 out of ten

waiting staff.........10 out of ten

cabin ...................9 out of ten

cleanliness ...........8 out of ten

entertainment........2 out of ten

in conclusion the ports of call were excellent and overall the ship very good but the entertainment was not bad it was truly terrible with an act called " the broken band " on all the time in the main bar .

the food is far from the normal standards on a cruise liner but is liveable with as you can get a good meal when you are onshore.

the staff on costa seem to be there for a party as they are not helpfull if you have any problems , be warned if you need to use there internet it is a nightmare and very expensive.

finally on retuning from an onshore excursion when going though the security my wife tripped over a rug that is there just as you step onto the ship,she twisted her ankle badly and was crying in pain.

the secuirty staff that were there rushed to her aid and were excellent.the doctor was phoned to come to see her...some 15 minuted later we were still waiting and i phoned the doctor direct and was a bit shocked to be told that it would be 85 euros for him to come and look. after agreeing we waited another 15 minutes still no doctor so we returned to our cabin. after about 2 hours my wife went to the customer service to try to get a bandage...surprise surprise no bandages. She was then assisted to see the nurse who put a bandage on her ankle and advised that on this occasion they would not charge, and again they asked when and where the incident happened. Obviously the first call was not logged

if you would like to try cruising please please do not try Costa, the staff's grasp of English is not good, the ship we were on had a large Chinese contingent who seemed to be more important than any english speaking guests, the entertainment was mostly in Italian with very little effort made for English speaking passengers, to the extent that one of the tours, two of the English guests were sent on a boat where they were the only non Chinese tourists and the tour guide did not speak English, a waste of money and time.

Sail Date: February 2014

My wife and I sailed on Costa Fortuna around the UAE and Oman in febuary for 7 nights. For the price we paid the cruise represented very good value and I would definately use this company again.

We have sailed with Celebrity ... Read More

We have sailed with Celebrity twice and Thomson once previously. Costa are not as polished as the former but are better than Thomsons and this is of course reflected in the amounts charged for the Cruise experience.

On all the cruises we have met people who complain at every instance and this is very common. In our experience you sometimes have to take the rough with the smooth.Many of my work collegues have started cruising recently and more are going year on year.Costa had a very european atmosphere in the deck areas a beatifully designed ship and super dance/ballroom area.

Pros: great value drinks package(109£). Mens sauna/steam room.Good pizza availalable all day. Good buffet selection but never saw a grape or strawberry all week -a first on a cruise ship. Very clean in dining areas. Lots of supervision . Embarkation day very well managed -best by far-.

Highly polished shows -very strong singers combined with high standards of professional dancers and great choreography. The Radio dance show was of an exceptional standard but should have been staged on a Formal night(tuesday). Didnt see the Staff show(never do).Very talented solo artist on another night.English speaking hostess excellent.

Cons: constantly watched in the bars.Dont select the cheese/biscuits option-you get cheese currants and bread! times must be hard....

Sail Date: February 2014

This was my first cruise, and would have been my last , but as my wife has cruised several times before she was able to assure me that this wasn't typical!!!

It didn't start well when despite having enquired when booking that we could settle dining times on arrival , we were allocated 6-00pm , there are only two times this or 8-30pm, we meet the Maitre the next day who rather off hand said if we had paid more for our cabin maybe we could have picked a dining time, I persisted and on day 3 we got the later dining sitting.

However the trip got worse as we were in cabin 6420 which seemed at first OK it smelt rather damp but the worst thing was that it was directly over a lounge/ disco on deck 5, the noise was so loud that it vibrated the floor.Despite calls to Customer services with no answer, I then went at midnight to the Customer Services Desk, and complained and was meet with a "lack of interest at best" darn right rudeness at worst, the best they could promise was that it might stop at 12-30/1-00am!! which have to say it did at last! next day we asked to move our cabin , we were told the ship was full, this turned out to be untrue, we were also told we get lots of complaints "about noise on this ship".

With exception of Laura the English hostess all the European staff we unhelpful and in some circumstances rude. On the contrary the Asian and Oriental staff we helpful and courteous.

On deck on a sunny day you couldn't find a sun bed after 10-00am, and there was pretty little room to move around.

At no time were we encouraged to use the hand gel dispensers, that were available sometimes, and not at all on some restaurant entrances, we did not see any one cleaning handrails etc. throughout the entire trip.

The Costa crew give you the impression that they really don't care

On the 7 day cruise we spent about 40% of the time was cruising, on two occasions the ship was moored up for 36 hours in ports, clearly Costa make a lot of money on the day trips.

The TV was appalling if you were English speaking as the only channel BBC news disappeared for 3 days,, and we were told that they had to run a safety film, this didn't stop 3- Italian, I- Russian,2- German, 1-Chinese,1-French Channels. Needless to say all the Brits, Americans,Canadians and the Scandinavians were really hacked off.

From discussions around with lots of other guests who had cruised many times before this was the very worst they had experienced.

The food was average, breakfast at the two main locations was a second rate buffet, water service with coffee does not make up for congealed and overdone food!

Evening dinner was served by diligent really helpful staff, but they broke the rules to serve coffee to finish with, as this was not normally available at your table|!!!

Wi Fi if you can get it to work cost 40 euros an hour and its very slow!!!

I can find very little to recommend this cruise at all, Costa really need to up there game I know of at least 6 couples who left saying never again!!!

Sail Date: January 2014

Crowded is the first word that comes to mind when I think of the cruise I just took on the Costa Fortuna. In my opinion, the distribution of passengers is not well organized. Most of the guests end up eating meals in the same restaurant--The Columbo, I think it was called--if they don't want to change out of their bathing suits and eat in the formal dining rooms. The queues at the buffets are so irritating.

And the food aboard the Costa Fortuna is the cheapest products the company can get away with. There's s reason why half the food ends up in the rubbish bin. It's just not very good.

The food is also not great in the formal dining rooms: soup that tastes like baby food, risotto that looks like a bloop of baby poo (ungarnished and bland), and prosciutto that actually isn't proscuitto, 'gelato' that had nothing in common with traditional Italian gelato except perhaps the temperature. I'm not a fan of Italian food, and my experience aboard the Costa Fortuna didn't do anything to change my mind. Italian food is simply boring.

The staff:

I have sailed with The Pacific Princess (16 days to the Holy Land) and twice aboard AIDA ships (Canary Islands, Black Sea), and I can say, with very few exceptions, that the staff aboard the Costa Fortuna were unfriendly and seemlingy unacquainted with the concept of hospitality. There are swarms of waiters trying to make money off you while there are precious few Customer Service staff to help you when you have a problem. I actually called the Customer Service number from our cabin and let it ring for 20 minutes once just to see if anyone would pick up the phone. No one did.

Hygeine:

Again, Costa Cruises puts more energy and staff into making money off the guests than they do in providing a quaility experience. The toilets always smelled terrible and indeed were not very clean. Although there are hand sanitizers positioned at the buffets, almost no one used them. In contrast to other cruises I've been on, I don't believe guests were even urged to use them.

A few hours before we left the ship, I returned to our cabin from breakfast to find that housekeeping had already made up our bed for the next guests. All of our things were heaped up on the sofa next to the bed. And this was three hours before we had to vacate the cabin. When I complained about this, the Customer Service staff member told me I didn't need to worry about it. I told her it wasn't about me; it was about the next guest. I wouldn't want to be that next guest. A room should never be prepared for the next guest until the previous guest has left it. That's why you find dirty underwear between your sheets. The Customer Service staff member seemed uninterested and uncomprehending of this basic level of hygeine.

Drink Packages:

Apparently--but I may be mistaken about this since I didn't book the cruise--you are offered only one Drinks package when you book the cruise, and everyone in your cabin must buy it (if you buy it, which we didn't). Once on board, you are suddenly told about a host of less expensive options. We chose the four bottles of wine and seven bottles of water package, and the juice package for our non-alcohol-drinking cabinmate.

All in all, unless I got an incredible deal, I wouldn't book another Costa cruise. Too many people, boring food, surly staff, poor hygeine. Too many cons, not enough pros here.

Sail Date: January 2014

After reading all the reviews we were a little worried about the ship but have to say what a great week we had. I went with a girl friend, we try to go to places our husband's don't want to come along to! We had a cabin with balcony 9226, quite enough space for us both after all you are only in there for sleeping! Although the ship was full, we found people seem to disburse themselves around the ship. Most like us did day trips so were on and off the ship at different times.

The cruise took us to Muscat, Khasab, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. We decided just to do the morning tours to give us a feel of the area in each stop. The guides were all most informative and learnt loads

We ate at the 9pm seating. There are two formal restaurants both serving the same food, with sittings of either 6.30 or 9pm and a pizza restaurant which only served pizza. On other cruises I have been on another choice was a buffet restaurant which was much more informal and sometimes a nicer option. With the formal dining most dressed up with two evenings being even more sparkly ! Food was a five course meal with different choices, apart from one dinner could not fault the food. We paid for the drinks package when we booked and certainly felt we drank our quota which was a good deal, ask for this when you book as you do not seem to get an option later on.

Breakfast was buffet type serving hot and cold, lunch was the same. Afternoon tea with cakes 4pm to 5pm, so you do not come home thin !

The staff were excellent, so very helpful and always happy. One impressive thing was there was a lifeboat drill for us all to see one morning, with every lifeboat being let down and driven around and then returning to the ship.

We would not hesitate to return to another Costa cruise it was all great fun and the sun shone throughout!

Costa Fortuna Ratings