2. Cruise Lines
  3. Celebrity Century Review
  4. Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews
Sail Date: December 2014

Just returned from a 12 night S Pacific on Century and as you will know, the ship is into its last few months with Celebrity. Century has been kept in good overall condition but is in need of some attention. I had a Sky Suite on the 12th floor with Butler service provided by Elmer, a real professional and genuinely nice person.

Check in at Sydney could not have been easier, 10 minutes from curb side to boarding the ship. There were 4 separate channels depending on your cabin type for check in and all were empty at 1130am. Staterooms were ready at 1pm and the bags arrived shortly thereafter.

The Sky Suite was excellent with a large room and a huge balcony and a bathroom with a Jacuzzi. The main dining room food was up to Celebrities normal high standards and delivered by the fabulous group of waiters that perform at the highest levels 3 times a day. People have commented about the cost of drinks but I would suggest that the vast majority of passengers on this ship, myself included were on a drinks package where it no longer matters. I didn't see value in paying more for a premium drinks package and found the wines/beers/cocktails available to be perfectly adequate.

I particularly enjoyed a latte and pastries for breakfast at the Cove Café and found the staff here to be superbly attentive and helpful as everywhere else on this ship.

The entertainment was of a high standard and the cruise director did a fine job, not overpowering that I have found on other ships and lines. The shows were of a good standard and a couple were really excellent. High marks for the bar staff throughout the ship and some great conversations with many of them.

The educational sessions were excellent and I enjoyed Don Enright's talks about marine life in the area.

I found the itinerary, Isle of Pines, 2 stops in Fiji, Mystery Island and Noumea to be relaxing, there isn't much to do so read 2 good books and came back relaxed.

My 1 gripe was the early arrival in Sydney when we had been assured we would pass the Opera House around 6am was very disappointed to find us already docked at 515am. Disembarkation was as easy as the embarkation and off the ship and on my way in 15 minutes.

Sail Date: December 2014

Well just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Century and i am so glad I didn't pay too much attention to the negative critics because we had an absolute ball.

The embarkation went quikly and smoothly with a warm and ... Read More

The embarkation went quikly and smoothly with a warm and friendly welcome both on land (Sydney) and on Ship with a refreshing drink.

The crew cannot be faulted in any way always there and ready to attend to all our needs. Food to die for fresh and must go to grand restaurant you will feel like a king/queen.

Our cabin was an inside quad (two bunks and a double, just ask for the two beds to be joined) on deck 8 midship (room 8067), perfect location close to restaurants, theatre and other lounges, we never heard a sound and slept like babies.

The house band rocks as all entertainers.. the pool area is kept clean and there is always a spot in the sun or shade without having to fight for it.

The port stops (Neumea, Mystery Island, Suva, Loutoka and Isle of Pines) were great the weather only turned on one stop but still managed to get off for a wonder, Neumea is not that exciting on sundays and holiday everything shuts. We never book excursions with the cruise as it is dear and there are local tours as soon as you get off the ship you can bargain for and are the same exoerience. The islands do take AUD but bring small change for Isle of Pines, Fiji and Mystery Island as they tend to not always have change.

Celebrity only deals in USD so be prepared .. they do take AUD but when you cash in your credit at the end of the cruise (if dealing with cash) you might be left with a couple of USD in your poket.

Teens club was great, my teen boys had a ball and have made great friendships....

All in all the best cruise we have been on and all thanks to the high standard of service and friendliness of crew.

Comprehensive Guide on board the “Celebrity Century”

Joined the Ship in Sydney Circular Quay for a 12 nights South Pacific Cruise, the embarkation was straightforward, register the credit card at the terminal and received a Celebrity Sea Pass Account for the onboard expenses then cleared the customs and you are on board. My cabin was on the sport deck level 12 and nothing to complain about, the cabin is good for 2 people but would be crowded with 4. The room service is done twice daily and the cabin crew will leave you with the “Celebrity Today” for the next day schedule activities” and other events like Art Auction time, wine tasting, hands on cooking class, seminars, line dancing class, general trivia’s etc. The daily activities are full on and you can choose your favourite interest such as playing the ping-pong, golf putting or swimming pool volleyball participate along with the ship’s crew or with other guests or just watching the band playing your favourite tunes.

Your meals would be probably included in your fare and you can dine at the “Grand Restaurant” with a la carte menu or you may eat all you can at the Buffet Restaurant on the 11th floor. I personally prefer the Buffet as you have lots of variety of dishes Indian, Chinese, cakes & ice cream. The Grand Restaurant would be popular if you want to mingle with other guests on large tables or you can have a romantic dinner for two, your choice.

I had a galley tour with the ship’s officers and was amazed to see the amount of people preparing the food for the full ship’s complements. We (20 selected guests) also did a Bridge Tour, as a Deck Officer myself I was disappointed with this one as the security went a bit overboard with their checks and metal detectors and we were told that it would be possible to visit the bridge with the condition of staying to the portside only to avoid interfering with the ship’s equipments as the Security staffs watched on; therefore it was not a proper Bridge Tour as such.

On boarding the ship there were photographers requesting if we want our picture taken with the large Ship’s background as souvenirs. They would not let us use our own cameras with the ship’s background and this is how they make their profit, for US25 a photograph, you are the judge. These photographers were also present at dinning tables and also at the beaches {Isle of Pines & Mystery Island} and ashore on the wharfs, I guess you must be prepared to say “No Thank You”; it’s your choice.

It was the South Pacific trip and all the islands and ports were interesting, well organised by the cruise company and I would give a 9+. If you want to swim don’t forget your snorkel gears, drinking water and suntan lotion, as the sun can be ferocious at the beaches.

On your cabin TV, the cruise director shall keep you posted with the daily activities; inform guests with the cruise update, watch the cable news /movies, even requesting cabin service and also most important you can keep a tab with your onboard expenses, if any discrepancies found, the front desk is available 24/7.

There is a Casino on board “Fortunes” with lots of poker machines and table games, the dealers were not so friendly looking serious at all times, they don’t say much to guests and my tip quite frankly, stay away; again your choice.

There is a fitness centre with all sorts of equipments & fitness classes are available.

There are also some health & wellbeing salons with quite expensive treatments.

There has been 3 formal dress nights on this trip and to my observation at such times the guests seems to socialise and drink a little bit more around the ship and also showing off their best attire of the evening and it’s also an opportunity for the photographers taking care of business looking for their souvenir photos taken.

On arrival date the disembarkation was smooth and again well organised by the ship’s crew, and don’t forget to have your last meal {breakfast} before leaving. Bon Voyage

Comprehensive Guide on board the “Celebrity Century”

Your meals would be probably included in your fare and you can dine at the “Grand Restaurant” with a la carte menu or you may eat all you can at the Buffet Restaurant on the 11th floor. I personally prefer the Buffet as you have lots of variety of dishes Indian, Chinese, cakes & ice cream. The Grand Restaurant would be popular if you want to mingle with other guests on large tables or you can have a romantic dinner (no fancy food) for two, your choice.

There are also some health & wellbeing salons with quite expensive treatments.

Hi

Hi

We have just returned from 12 nights 19/11-1/12 2014 Prior to the holiday I found it very difficult to find information on cost of alcoholic drinks on the boat My friend and I had previously cruised on the Celebrity Silhouette through the Mediterranean Sept/Oct 2013 and were very impressed with the cruise line compared with other options out of Sydney. I mainly drink Prosecco and on the European cruise this drink was $7 US a glass although it was of little consequence as I had the premium drink package. On this cruise the same drink was $10.50 US almost $13 AUD. I purchased the classic drink package however we met many people who had the package gratuities and $300 credit on board included in the fare.

Also be aware if you book early as we purchased our holiday in June 2014 and Celebrity took the total cost of the cruise of $4500 overdrawing my friends account . When I demanded that they should reverse the transaction they agreed but it did not happen despite several emails of demand. In general the food and staff were excellent although the ship was a little tired Can't help but wonder whether for the ship's last voyages Australian's have been taken advantage of.

Morel

Sail Date: November 2014

Overall we made the best holiday we could and did enjoy ourselves but i have never seen so many old people in the one spot! we were assured by out TA that even though it wasn't a party ship it wouldn't be all old people.

ship ... Read More

ship was very tired, i would compare it to the p and o ships, quite disappointing to be sitting round the pool and other areas on sun lounges i would personally have thrown out if they were mine, they were very grotty! the bed was so hard we had to get a mattress topper which didn't really do much and i was on pain killers for my back most of the cruise and found the only solace a bit of a nana nap on the lounges during the day i was that sleep deprived!

the chairs in lounges were wobbly, some of the tall swing chairs on the back deck god knows how they were even still secured to the floor they were that bad, the seating in the theatre was all falling apart literally and there were rows where the strips of lighting were ripped out and hanging at the back of the seating.

the head guy in the restaurant put undue pressure on us almost every night to score his section a 10 at the end of the cruise via the survey.

all other staff were excellent, food was of a nice quality although buffet food quite often cold and the morning hash browns inedible.

room service breakie was the highlight of the holiday excellent!.

tender service was very slow at several ports and took ages to get off the boat. usa $ on board only which was a big surprise and some pretty peeved off people using the atm to have usa$ spit out, all usa plugs so we had to go and hire adapters to plug anything in...it is an aussie cruise you'd think they would supply them (as my other usa boat in aussie did last time i sailed) so usa for all the prices then 15% grats then 18% tax made it bloody expensive and the little luxury extras i intended on getting i just couldn't justify.

first time on celebrity and def the last. oh and did i mention when i pulled back the stained bed linen (yes stained in several places including a dinner plate size stain on the white doona itself) the mattress was also stained and had about 5 holes in it.....pretty crap really....oh and they completely smashed my hard case suitcase between taking it off the ship and us getting it on disembarkation sigh.....was that bad we had to buy another at the airport to be able to get home...celebrity says not there prob and claim on insurance.

Sail Date: November 2014

First time on Celebrity Cruises was a great experience. Back to back cruises - Melbourne, Adelaide and Port Lincoln 8 nights followed by 12 night Isle of Pines, Lautoka, Suva, Mystery Island and then Noumea.

The ship has been ... Read More

The ship has been sold off and leaves service in April, so I am happy we had a chance to cruise with the great team on board from the Captain Theo and Cruise Director John Grantham down to the cabin crew they were all fantastic.

This was our first 5 star rated cruise line and we could to tell that you were given just that little extra in most things from food selection to entertainment.

8 night cruise was great - good to see some of Australia instead of islands for a change, but 12 night island cruise was also fun.

Food - Pizza's were lovely ( not like rubbish on Carnival ) , Sushi from Islands Café, Wraps and Burgers, lists goes on, Stir Fry with your own selections and Pasta Dishes cooked on the spot for you. Ice Cream choices abundant with tea and coffee or even hot chocolate milk. All free.

Drinks - This was a disappointment - all charges in American Dollars so add 20% for Australian Prices. Coffee ( small ) was $6 that was biggest rip off, beers were from $6.50 to $9, Wine was from $8.50 - $12.50 a glass, Soft drinks $3.50. Even the duty free was based on Noumea prices, eg Jack Daniels $35, Jim Bean $25, Bundaberg $30 all 1 litre. and all in American Dollars.

Laundries - none - most Australian hate that, and one small bag wash is $45.

No big screen on deck also so no nights under the stars shows. Too many smoking area's.

Entertainment - Two house bands over the two trips - both were excellent.

Guest Lecturers on sea days were also excellent, but clashed with trivia most of the time.

Dance troop only do 3 shows but they were excellent also and guest artists also very good.

Gratuities - being Australian we opted out no problems and just tipped when we wanted.

Ports - always found we could just get off the ship and either get onto private tours or use public transport etc to get around and explore both in Australia and on the islands, saving hundreds of dollars. Can use Australian dollars almost anywhere on the islands.

Overall the ship experiences were positive, but were disappointed in the prices for drinks, especially for a coffee ( drank coffee off the ship at half price ).

One last items - Crew were everywhere around food making sure you sanitized your hands - great job not like Carnival where it's up to you to find sanitizer. Also first ship where they get your food onto plate, separating you from the food - another great job.

Sail Date: November 2014

I must say, that I had considered not writing a review of our cruise on the Celebrity Century, due to the fact that she was being sold off, and reviews at this time may be regarded as superfluous!! Well we enjoyed our cruise so much that I felt it would be appropriate to write a short review anyway, on this lovely old ship that had become a favorite with us.

Very little had changed on board since our last cruise on her in January 2012. This is what made her special to us, as it was like transporting yourself a couple of decades back to the cruising world of the mid 90's, and taking on a bit of nostalgia! These are lovely old ships that may lack some of the latest wow factor and bells and whistles but make up for it with a fine service, beautiful food and a crew that you don't want to leave behind on disembarkation! She has been beautifully maintained and the old adage of, "you can do as much, or as little, as you want on board of a day" still stood true!! Sure, I heard an odd complaint about the on board activities, but it was only about 1 or 2, and really, you would have to be hard to please if you couldn't occupy your day with the many activities offered.

We had one of the best Cruise Directors at sea on our cruise to the South Pacific, including Fiji. John Grantham is such a great guy and does an excellent job, compared to some of the dead wood that we have en-counted occasionally. If you ever sail with him you can't help but look forward to his presentations!! "If you planned on skipping a show, let me say........TOMORROW NIGHT, IS NOT THE NIGHT TO DO IT!!!"

For my wife, Carolyn, and myself, one of the most enjoyable things we en-counted, was meeting up with our Assistant Waiter from the 2012 cruise, only this time he was Assistant Maitre d'. Danilo from Serbia had looked after us so well in 2012 at our dining table and we had so much fun. We can remember him being in such a hurry to leave the ship when we arrived back in Sydney. He was travelling home to Serbia to ask his Girlfriend to marry him, and at that time he had not broached her with the proposition!!! We were so hoping for him that he would receive a positive response!! Well he was back at sea with the same charming attitude we remembered, and his wife was working on board with him!!! What a fairytale ending for Danilo!!!

There is probably not a lot more that needs to be said, other than, we met some wonderful people and had a great time for 12 nights. If you are booked on the Century for one of her last cruises, I'm sure you should have a wonderful cruise! There again, over the years, we have never had a bad cruise!!! Maybe it is what we decide to make of our adventure!!! Happy Sailing!!!

Phil

Sail Date: November 2014

we boarded at sydney on 11th nov 2014 we sailed to melbourn,adleide , port lincoln and back to sydney it was an beautiful experience on board we were in cabin no 4139 our state room attendant was Vital and assistant was alvito both were very caring towards us who made us feel at home, chief assistant housekeeper Mr cipriano made it an point to see that we were comfortable above all good service.for our dinning .we were in select dinning table no.36 our waiter was mr Alexio Borges an down to earth human being along with his assistant gave us an excelent service .since we being indians my mother was not comfertable with the menu so i requested the manager if he can atleast serve us the main course in indian style he just told me that if i want indian menu then better i should go to deck 11 in main dinning i felt insulted by this his name was Ismail so boycotted the select dinning although we had paid the waiter charges as chief chef mr nelson mascarenhas came to know about this he made it an point that we are back in select dinning n attended to us personallyover all it was an wonderfull expirience would like to cruise again thx

Sail Date: November 2014

While we enjoyed the overall cruise, we were disappointed in some of features of the cruise:

1) While it has been 10 years since our last Celebrity cruise, we do not believe the food (both the selection and quality) at dinner was up to the standard of previous cruises. We did eat in the Murano Specialty restaurant one night which was very good. The message here is that one has to pay extra to get a better quality dinner.

2) While times have changed, we found that here was no escaping unruly children and screaming babies. Other than the Hemisphere Lounge, which had a sign that no one under 18 was permitted (even then only after 11:30 PM), children and babies were everywhere including lounges and bars. At times, we felt like were on a Disney ship.

3) Celebrity’s policy is that a dress code is in place, would be enforced, and that no baseball caps, shorts or flip-flops were permitted in the restaurant or lounges in the evening. We found no evidence of any enforcement of a dress code. A prime example was on one of the formal nights, 4 people came into the Martini Bar around 10:30 PM in shorts and flip-flops and were served. We understand not everyone will wear formal dress on formal night, but shorts and flip-flops in the Martini Bar certainly do not our expectation of enforcing a dress code.

4) Lastly, and maybe most importantly, we were extremely disappointed with our experience with ChoiceAir. We found the website guarantee of the lowest airfare (within 24 hours) and the promise of “110% of the difference to be spent on board” to be misleading, unethical and, in our opinion, bordering on fraud. It was our experience that ChoiceAir and Celebrity had no intention of honoring this policy. First ChoiceAir made an error in the booking, requiring a re-booking, then they claimed that the guarantee did not apply because of a “technicality.” We found ChoiceAir very unresponsive to e-mails and phone calls. When we finally were able to speak to someone, the response was a very curt “you do not apply because of technicality.” No further explanation; end of conversation. We experienced the same response and treatment with Celebrity officials in Miami, FL.

Given the above experiences it is very unlikely that we will book our future cruises with Celebrity.

Celebrity Century Ratings