2. Cruise Lines
  4. Costa neoClassica Review
  5. Costa neoClassica Cruise Reviews
1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: January 2014

Starting from Casablanca airport : 45min waiting for luggage, Costa staff difficult to find, minibus too small for passengers and luggage, waiting 35 min in a cold warehouse for the port customs, waiting 20 more min for the minibus to reach finally the ship 3 hrs and a half after landing.

Start at 9 pm for Madeira with a medium bad sea. The Classica is moving as if it was a big tempest. Many passengers were ill during the 36 hrs of crossing. The stabilizers were inoperant.

Madeira, and all the Canary islands are beautiful and the Costa excursions were quite interesting.

Agadir is not worth to visit.

Casablanca : t's the war with taxi drivers trying to get as much money from you as they can. It takes 30 min to get out of the port, the ship being far from everything. Hassan II mosque is beautiful, but quite shocking when you see the poverty all around.

Concerning the boat (except its bad sea stability): Rather good food, good service, poor activities, main room very noisy. The spa area is rather poor.

Awful disembarkation : appointment at 3 am for a plane leaving at 8.30 am. To save money, Costa gathered several planes leaving 2hr30 before ours. We consider this as inacceptable. The custom control in the port is as awful as for embarking. Casablanca obviously is not ready to receive cruises in correct conditions.

I would disadvise to embark in Casablanca and I would also diadvise to go on the Classica if your stomach is fragile.

I would advise to visit Canary and Madeira from Tenerife or Funchal.

1 Helpful Vote
Sail Date: October 2013

Just got back from Costa Classica Adriatic cruise (Oct.5 to Oct 12 2013).

The main points were:

1. Great Itinerary - Trieste (where we stayed for 2 days before cruise) has lots to see - great city

- Ancona looked ... Read More

Just got back from Costa Classica Adriatic cruise (Oct.5 to Oct 12 2013).

The main points were:

- Ancona looked interesting but poured down so we only walked around for 1 hour

- Dubrovnik - great walking tour of city walls - excellent

- Corfu Town - looked a bit run down in parts - interesting cricket square & old British

palace of Saint Michael

- Argostolion in Kefallonia - lovely walk along seafront by lagoon - beautiful

- Kotor (Montenegro) lovely small historic old town with (hard) walk to castle about 100

feet over town - great views

- Split - fabulous place - centered on ancient Roman palace of Diocletian + nice beach

nearby

All the above for £249 pp (+ £100 pp to go all-inclusive) - great value!

Ship specific - cabin great - restaurant dining very good - public lounges spacious & comfy.

Most staff pleasant but a few offhand.

Buffet cafeteria like canteen (but food very good)

Entertainment from v.good (ventriloquist) to poor (singing & dancing)

Reasonably well organised - but sometimes difficult when all announcements made in Italian, English, French, German and Spanish!

For me - a great way to get round to all the above places in comfort.( I can imagine some used to more de-luxe cruses might not think it's so great)

Sail Date: September 2013

We was really looking foward to the second part of our Holiday. The first week we stayed in Rhodes at a great Hotel and really enjoyed ourselves. The second week we stayed on the Costa Classica our first bad experience was the mandatory safety drill. To say it was a shambles would have been kind. We felt if in the event of abdoning ship we would have no idea what to do. The instruction where very sketchy and as the English where definately a minority on board there was next to no instructions in English.

Each port we visited there was no information for passengers going asdhore on their own. When I asked for information. I was told they had no Maps!! and we should either find tourist information or ask a taxi driver. The drinks where very expensive and a service charge of 15% was added to each bill. At the end of the cruise we had to pay £8.00 per person each day for staff Gratuities.

The entertainment was very amateurish on the evenings and on deck there was no where to get away from the constant noise and silly games. The cliental was mainly Italian,French and German and in all honesty I have never come acros a ruder set of travelling companions. We was pushed and shoved and the staff did nothing to control the flow of passengers. Getting off the ship was survival of the fittest.

The only saving grace of this cruise was the food was good in the evening restuarant. But daytime again survival of the fittest.

If I never had another holiday there is no way I would sail with Costa again

Sail Date: July 2013

My first gripe was that Costa never provided any information on times or venue to embark in Trieste, Italy. There was no boarding pass provided or facility on the website to print one either.

On boarding, I asked the customer ... Read More

On boarding, I asked the customer service officer about wifi availability and pricing on this cruise and was advised that the wifi service was very expensive and not very effective. Why do they offer it and advertise that it is available? One whole week without the option to use wifi was a major disappointment...

This cruise was basically an excuse for rowdy families with badly behaved kids to run riot uncontrollably on board the 'Crapica' boat. Kids played soccer in the Observation Deck (which is a bar) and were not told to stop while we were trying to watch the stunning coastal depart from Montenegro. They bounced and jumped around on furniture in the bars until all hours of the night with no regard for anyone else. There was just no discipline instilled anywhere on this liner! As a parent of 2 girls, I just don't comprehend this sort of behaviour?

The gym was a madhouse at times too, as unsupervised kids were also occupying training machines (while mucking around) and prevented adults from using them. Rules and regulations were not adhered to in this case as it stated that children must be supervised by an adult and also no more than 20 minutes was allowed per machine. My partner nearly got in a fight with one guy ( a sexist) who was the only one waiting to use the machines as it was morning and he complained that I (a female) was on a treadmill for 40 minutes when some other guys had been on treadmills for over an hour. Might I add there was no gym instructor around at this time to settle the matter and on other occasions when we used the gym there was no instructor either?

Another major problem with this boat which houses 1300 people was that the dining areas were not large enough to cater for this number of people. There were 2 seatings at dinner in the formal dining room, a 6:30 pm one and another at 8:45 pm which is awfully late to be eating dinner. The food was generally lousy in the dining room except on gala evenings where the quality was better, but still not great! The buffet area also could not seat enough people as some lunches you could not even get in the door (especially on the day they offered fresh, local mussels and prawns). The buffet was like a battle zone as if nobody had ever eaten before and the noise level was unbearable. Decorum was lacking and if you didn't get a seat there then you had to go to the formal dining room and have a really inferior meal there!

The accommodation wasn't bad as the rooms were of reasonable size, but the walls were paper thin and you could hear every movement or noise next door or in the hallways. Only soap and toilet paper were provided, no shampoo or shower caps as you get in hotels?/

We pre-booked some English speaking tours for our port stopovers but they were cancelled only the evening prior to the tours as there weren't enough English speakers on board the ship. Another disappointment and surely the tour dept would have known this earlier on?? As it turned out we tended to book tours and excursions once we landed in the ports at the local tourist info centres and travel agents and they were enjoyable. The schedule for each day was given the night prior, including info about the next port of call. No map was given or information about what sites of interest there were in these ports (not good as we could not do the excursions offered by Costa) and got off the boat with no idea and had to go looking for what to do there??

The day we landed in Kotor we were instructed prior that we would need to queue and wait to get off the boat as there would be a 'Tender boat' to take us to shore. This whole procedure was a waste of time as it took well over 2 hours. We were required to obtain a number and sit around and wait until the number was called before we could go to shore by the 'Tender boat"? Once the number was called our group got off the boat and we found that there was NO "tender boat' and we were actually docked ashore!!!!! If there wasn't one why did they still carry on with this silly, deceptive procedure??? We were lied to and made to sit around for nothing???

Overall the cruise was very downmarket and we had no idea when we made our booking, although the price seemed very reasonable, I suppose we should have realised this? The only thing going for this liner was the ports of call which we made the absolute most of, apart from Ancona (not much there) and Corfu (nothing there either as no options were provided by the locals for excursions seeing as no English speaking excursions were provided by Costa). Kotor, Montenegro, Kefalonia, Greece, Dubrovnik and Split, Croatia were stunning ports of call and if it wasn't for this cruise we would not have had the opportunity to visit this part of the world. In hindsight, we should have taken a more classy cruise which disembarked from Venice to visit the Dalmation Coast.

Sail Date: March 2013
Upon boarding the Classica I was pleasently surprised. I was expecting a ship in rougher shape after reading all the reviews. We were assigned cabin 6004 from our inside guarantee and I will say that the front cabins Certainly, 6000, 6001, 6002, 6003 and 6004 must be the worst cabins on the ship. Every morning when docking it sounded like a jackhammer was going off in the cabin. Avoid these cabins like the plague. I complained to the desk and we were moved on the third night to a nice oceanview cabin 6050. It was a very nice upgrade and made up for the shocking waking call the two nights before. The ship had quite a large number of empty cabins. There was quite a mix of passengers on the boat, about a dozen kids or so, a decent mix of under 30, mostly in the 30-50 range with a fewer older passengers as well. Many spoke english, but I heard a lot of different languages onboard. The cruise director's linguistic ability was amazing. If you want a sim card for your phone, get it at the airport. We spent quite a bit of time tracking one down afterwords. They are quite expensive compared to most contries, at 50 Dirhams... 1 GB of data was 100 Dirhams with varying other levels available. We were here for 10 days, so having it was very helpful and worth it to us. Also, I missed the first safety drill, by accident, and I might suggest this as the second drill at 6pm was much quicker than the first one. My fiance is gluten free and the breads and gluten free choices were excellent. An assistant Matrade was at our table every night to make sure the gluten free options she had were not messed up. The desserts were good, but after the first couple nights, it was always the same cake for the Gluten Free. The normal people food in the dining room was the one negative on the ship. The first 5 meals were lackluster. It is not that they were terrible, just could have been much better. Tough meats were the norm with the exception of the last two nights, where a nice steak and really delicious chicken were served. The pasta was decent most nights, with the pesto standing above all the rest. The buffet was average to below average. The soft serve ice cream they serve is the best soft serve I've ever had. They should make it available more however. The shows were a big highlight of the cruise. The dancers were very good, and the illusionist that they had one night was absolutely stellar, the best show I've seen on a cruise ship for sure, and close to the top show I've seen anywhere. Incredibly impressive. We did all the ports on our own. In Muscat, Oman, we took a taxi to the Palace and walked around, and then headed back to the ship. You could not get inside the palace, but it was a really pretty walk around the area. On walking back, we saw kayaks going out and very much wish we had rented kayaks for the day instead. Khasab, Oman was my favorite. No need for the ships excursion here, get off the boat, turn right without going outside the port and walk to the dhows. Negotiate. We paid 125 durhams each for a three hour cruise. It was worth every penny but was had by some for 20 Euro. We were the second ship out of the port, which was very helpful as we saw a ton of dolphins cruising along the boat. The swim stop was good, but I'd recommend having your own snorkel gear, as our boat didn't have any onboard. Afterwords we took the provided shuttle into town and went to the castle, which I would highly recommend. It was very well done, and for 1 Omani Rial per person (about US$2.50) it was highly worth it. In Abu Dhabi (which we stayed in for two days pre cruise) we took the bus to Ferrari World (The same bus will take you to Ferrari world and you can shuttle to Yas Waterworld which I would highly recommend. Get off the boat and look for the bus stop for bus 56 (2 Dirhams per person). Tell the driver where you are going and he will stop in a bit where you can transfer to bus 190 which takes you there(4 Dirhams per person). You can normally buy buy one get one free coupons for Ferrari World and Yas Waterworld on Ebay for around US$10 each, which I would recommend, or buy the full Entertainer book, but it's quite a bit pricier for the entire book. In Fujarah, we walked along the beach that was to the right of where the cruise ship docked. It was a bit of a walk, but a nice lazy cheap day. Back in Dubai we headed to Taste of Dubai. It was alright, but I wouldn't head back. As a note, from the cruise port, there is a 25 Dirham fee just to get in a taxi... whoops, should have waited for the free mall shuttles and taken the metro from there. A full day metro pass can be purchased for 14 Dirham, which is a good value and an easy way to see many of the sites of Dubai. The cruise terminal in Dubai is nice, but the supposed Free Wifi didn't work and was very disappointing. We had an early flight the next day and left the ship about 3:30 am. There were plenty of taxi's available even at that time. Our Taxi fare from the airport to the ship was 60 Dirhams and back to the airport was about 70 Dirhams. Most likely could have saved a bit taking the metro but was not sure of the operational times and didn't want to carry the bags. All in all, I'd highly recommend the cruise. At US$616 for a weeks cruise for two people with all taxes and fee, and the what translated to 72 Euro shipboard credit as a CCL Shareholder, it was a very good value. Tips are 7 Euro per person per day on this itinerary. Drinks are expensive at around 5 Euro per beer, so if you are a heavy drinker, the drinks package at 19 Euro per person per day would be a good value. I was not a fan of the Carlsberg draft they had on the ship, however I like it out of the bottle, so not quite sure what to make of that. As a side note, for the point junkies that may be reading this, the Casino charged no fee to get chips from your costa card, that will eventually end up on your credit card, which allowed us to get Euro's that we needed for later in our trip, and get some extra miles to boot! Read Less
Sail Date: October 2012
Saw this fantastic itinery advertised through Planet Cruise for 7 days in Adratic with a stop every day.We have been on a variety of ships from the huge Royal Caribbean to Smaller yacht style.. I was naturally sceptical firstly because of the price ( so Cheap) and secondly the mediocre reviews. I had nothing to worry about .My husband and I are in our early 40's and we brought my parents in law who are very young at heart. As it was cruise only we flew from Stansted to Trieste with Ryanair ( a 2 hour flight) my main concern was connections as the ship departs at 6pm and you have to be there by 5pm... the flight arrived right on time at 2.35 ( their time). the journey to Trieste Port is approx 15 - 20 mins in a taxi which you can get right outside no need to pre book, it was €65 and as there was 4 of us it was reasonable enough. There is a bus service which departs from the airport and it Will leave you to the central bus station ( port 10/15 mins walk from there) but might be a bit of a panic if you have any time constraints.Please be aware that Trieste airport is Very small and literally only a couple of food outlets and one duty free so not one to be enjoying for hours on your return. Right the ship...yes it is old fashioned but still feels and looks great. The cabins were the biggest we have ever experienced and great size bathroom, porthole window was huge and flat screen Tv but only one movie channel which is in English on channel 7 ...oh news channel also. We were on Level 7 which was perfect for bars and dining. We booked the drinks package in advance worked out at about £100 per person for the week and as we enjoy our beer and wine on holidays it was well worth it. Bottles of water are included on it during the day as well as soft drinks juices and you can get your wine by the glass at dinner .( However I did notice that they were offering same package on board for €16pp per day for the week if booked on the first day of cruise)...well everything you need really.You need to check your card to make sure it has the AI symbol for your drinks otherwise you will be charged...ours didnt but this was quickly rectified by the reception. We gave tips early adn frequently here and there to barstaff ( just a couple of euro at a time ) and found they interacted more and quicker with us as a result. By the way there is a flat service charge at the end of the cruise and maybe this is why I didnt see anyone tipping ...still for the great job they do its worth giving a bit extra to individuals. There really only is 2 places to dine( apart from the casual pizza area)..the formal ding room in the evening which was fab ..theres about 8 courses in the evening( pasta and soup) and the standard was very high..(we had a couple of surprise entertainment evenings but I'll not spoil the surprise)...if you fancy something different to eat they do their utmost to oblige...we went every evening and found the 9pm sitting suited us best as the day's itinery is so full. During the day its mostly the buffet...now the decor is not brill here and the layout a bit over the place but the selection more than adequate. The bars are all really good. We favoured sitting outside on the deck and in the central bar after dinner where you are entertained by the rest of the european passengers actively demonstrating their dancing finesse...Come Dancing wouldnt have a look in !. As it was mostly Italian, German, Spanish etc theres not a great deal of English ...this we really enjoyed as it felt more authentic but all information and shore plans are delivered to your cabin in english. We didnt go on any of the tours, and neither did they try force them (on the contrary) as most of the Ports were walk off..only one tender and that was to Kefalonika. I usd the Gym which was great and theres a fab spa there which my mother in law used and loved. The Steam room is huge and I recommend. Theres a library ( limited opening times) and internet area. We did not make it to any of the shows due to our didning time but this didnt bother us. The highlight of this cruise I think was cruising through the Fjord like waterways to kotor montenegro...sipping a glass of wine and just taking in the view was incredible. Late september early October the temperatures were in the high 20's so perfect!. All the ports we arrived at had so much to offer and I think adequate time was given to each. Ports visted: Trieste Ancona Dubrovnik Corfu Kefalonika Kotor Split All in all this is not a formal ship, its very easy going and very european, if you feel like dressing up no probs if you dont again no probs ...it was great to just sit back and people watch..you have to compensate for the sometimes brusque over animated nature of some of the passengers but this is all part of the experience. Theres more than enough loungers and space on deck, a couple of pools and jacuzzis on deck...it never was overcrowded....just to finish by saying LOVED every minute of it and would highly recommend...but dont expect the world and you wont be dissappointed...go for the atmosphere and the wonderful places you'll visit ...everything else is a bonus ! Read Less
Sail Date: September 2012
It is nice to cruise on a medium size ship that "only" accommodates about 1,600 passengers instead of the 3,500+ on the new mega ships. We were looking forward to this cruise and the ports. We embarked at Trieste (near Venice) and took a 7 day cruise of the Adriatic sea. The Classica is a nice ship with a relatively convenient layout. The rooms were very spacious compared to many of the cruise ships that I have been on. Unfortunately, the electrical outlets did not work in our cabin and it took some time to get them turned on. The shower had horrible pressure and was more of drizzle than a shower. The bed was comfortable and our room steward was efficient. I was not impressed with the food, even in the main dining room. I was expecting an Italian ship to have great pasta dishes but they were all rather ordinary and none of them were cooked al dente. Fortunately, none of the food was bad and I would give all of the food quality a solid 3 rating. The main dining room service was excellent but slow. Should it really take 2 hours to eat dinner when most of the dishes are precooked? If you want to eat a quick dinner you are out of luck because the self-service buffet is closed during the two main dinner sessions. Apparently on Costa, the fancy midnight buffet is a casualty of the weak economy. There is no midnight buffet, just a few little snack areas that are set-up in or near the public areas. The little pizzeria on the ship was therefore swamped with late night snackers and it took 40 minutes to get a pizza. My biggest food and drink complaint was the method Costa apparently is using to maximize it's profit from drink packages. While waiting to embark, you will be visited by one of the bar staff who will show you the monetary wisdom of buying an inclusive drink package. There are many to choose from. I bought one that included all drinks except for the premium brands. Perhaps part of the plan to limit the number of drinks you order is to make certain that all of the bars are understaffed. I have read this same complaint in other reviews of Costa. Passengers are all crowded around the bar because the number of barroom waiters is so small. In the main Piazza Navona bar, I decided to do a little test and sat in a centrally located chair and waited to see how long before a waiter would appear to take my drink order. After an hour of waiting, I finally decided to join the crowd of passengers elbowing their way to the front of the bar to get drinks directly from the bartenders. It was this way the entire cruise and in both of the main bar venues. You can not have 4 waiters trying to service 400 passengers! Of course, I finally added 2 + 2 and determined that this was Costa's way of serving the least number of drinks after charging $140 for an "unlimited" drink package. So folks, sharpen your elbowing skills if you want to get served more than one drink every 90 minutes. I can't say enough about the excellent itinerary and this was the highlight of the tour. A different and very interesting port each day. There was no pressure to buy any of the ship excursions. One of our dining room friends were forced to accept two refunds for excursions they had pre-paid because there were no English speaking guides available or not enough English speaking tour buyers. My only wish would have been more than 4 hours in Kotor and I think if Costa would allow the captain to increase his speed from Kefalonika by 2 knots, we would have had more time to enjoy this fiord and port experience. For a relatively small ship, the entertainment staff was top notch. There were 6 female dancers, 2 male dancers, a male singer and a female magician/acrobat. Their dance routines were all sharp and in sync. The male singer had good range, projection and personality. The acrobat & magic lady was also very good. A small staff but certainly high quality. My only suggestion would be a female singer to balance out the male singer. I would prefer to write a glowing review with no complaints but I really can't do that with Costa. My BIGGEST COMPLAINT is about the expensive and horrible Internet service. I own a business and I need to stay in contact with my office at least 2 hours each day. Costa advertises that it has Wi-Fi service in all of their cabins. The price is $24 Euros for 3 hours which works to about $10 per hour. I understand that getting Internet service through satellite at sea is more expensive than on land. However, the signal strength in my cabin and the cabin of our dining partners was only 1 bar (poor) and after connecting, the connection would have to be refreshed often. For any 10 minute period of usage, I actually had about 3 minutes of actual packet traffic. I was a computer network manager for 8 years and I understand the traffic problems when there is a poor signal. Technically, the network knows that you are logged in but very few packets are being transferred. The only way to get a decent amount of Internet traffic was to take my notebook to the Internet section of the ship's library where there was always good signal strength (4 bars). If my cabin had even 2 or 3 signal strength bars I would not be writing this complaint. To add insult to expensive injury when I complained to the "Customer No-service" staff they told me there was no problem. They got a report from their IT people in Genoa that my cabin had good Internet service, that I was using the service and that no refund or adjustment was warranted. The woman actually looked me in the eye and said, "there is no problem with your Internet service and there is nothing to complain about"! This woman obviously has no clue about signal strength and packet traffic and was counting on an aggregate data report from some IT guy 500 miles away! IF there was no problem, why was I forced to go to the library every time I wanted decent Internet service! She just looked at me with an arrogant look on her face!! So, I kept paying $10 per hour, going to the library and doing my work. The final injury was when I paid for a 3rd block of 3 hour service knowing that we would be waiting several hours on the ship to disembark. I paid the night before we returned, used about 30 minutes of time before bed and planned to use the other 2.5 hours after breakfast while waiting for our group to be called to disembark. When I tried to login that morning I found out that my user account was no longer active because all transactions had been cancelled at 01:00 when all Costa Cards were terminated. So, I paid an extra $30 for 30 minutes of Internet access. Except for the Somalia pirates, the Costa Internet service is the biggest rip-off on the high seas. What is even worse is they don't care. This is the single biggest reason why I will never take another Costa cruise again - a condescending, arrogant attitude that I don't know what I am talking about from people who are not qualified to even make that judgement. Read Less
Sail Date: September 2012
Hi, Some ports aren't listed where we stopped but we embarked at Trieste which incidentally is an easy bus trip from the airport. Then Ancona, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Cefalonia, Kotor and Split which was cancelled, then back to Trieste. Highs £189 for 7 nights- amazing. Although flights,luggage, petrol, parking, drinks packages etc bring it up to around £550 each, still not bad but there are some very good offers for all inclusives in the med! Itinery - Italy , croatia, montenegro, greek islands Food - Wasn't the best but certainly wasn't the worst. I have paid alot more and had worse food. All inclusive drinks package - Fantastic value at around £15 a day, covers house wine, beer, water, hot drinks, soft drinks, loads of cocktails. On Atlantica they would give us bottles of half decent wine with dinner but here they insisted on glasses which took ages to come and once or twice were undrinkable so take one in with you from the bar. Staff - Very nice and happy in their work, much better than on another costa ship we went on "Atlantica". Upgrade - Yes we even got an outside cabin! Lows Decor of ship is very very plain and quite basic. Cabin shook like an earthquake every morning when ship docked, was quite funny really. Also there was a sewer smell sometimes in our corridor and cabin although they did look into it and it went. Choice of restaurants - well there isn't any! Entertainment - Very Italian focused and i would imagine pretty boring for most english guests unless you like silly games, Playing cards and dancing. Thank god for the drinks package! Dance shows were ok. No cinema or evening quizzes or even karaoke. Swimmimg pools looked quite dirty and were freezing although i know the adriatic can be. Jacuzzis were too cold and not powerful at all although gym was good for this ship. Highlight of the trip was split and we couldn't dock in case we got stuck in port cause they were expecting a storm although we were told port was shut? Wonder if a more modern equipped, larger ship would have made it? No alternative was offered just straight back to Trieste. Announcements in 5 languages are VERY annoying, although i suppose it can't be helped. So, all in all not sure if it was value for money or not, as it was cheap. I would go back with costa but on a bigger ship with more facilities. Read Less
Sail Date: August 2012
After spending a lovely day in Trieste, we boarded the ship at around 1435 hours. Embarkation was straight forward and we were in our cabin within 15 minutes of dropping our luggage at the embarkation point. Embarkation numbers were given, but never used and we moved quickly through the security and immigration process. Once onboard the ship, we were greeted by a steward who pointed us in the direction to our cabin. Stewards were about the ship to assist as required with directions. Our cabin, 7057, was ready with ships cards, door cards laid out on the bed. The cabin was quite large and the toilet was one of the largest I have seen in my 14 cruises. Even though I had pre-registered online for the free flow drink package "extra all-inclusive bevarage package", for my spouse and I, the cards were not annotated with this, so I had to make a trip to the front desk to have our ships cards reprinted. This just makes things easier for the staff. Even though you are on a free flow of wine, beer, water and cocktails, the staff still require you to sign for your drinks. Sort of a waste of paper for a cruise line that prides themselves of being environmentally friendly. We then rested in our cabin for a few hours until life boat drill at 1745 hours. After listening to this in Italian, English, French and Spanish, we were cleared to go. Dinner was at 2130 hrs. Our waiter showed up promptly and greeted us. As mentioned earlier, I have cruised 14 times, so I noticed right away that the menu was slightly more limited in choice for each of the many courses. 2 choice of starters, 1 soup, 2 pasta, 4 main courses. The food arrived promptly and was hot and fresh. Woke up in Ancona, Italy and headed off to breakfast in the Tivoli restaurant. Have to say I was not impressed with the service here. We were ushered to a table at the aft corner of the ship. Ordered a cappuccino and bottle of water. The water arrived and sat on the service area counter for the longest time. I eventually had to get it myself as no waiter was around. After finishing my oatmeal, no one even thought of clearing the bowl and they allowed each plate or bowl from each course of the breakfast to pile up on the table. Head off the ship for a great Sunday in Ancona. Back on the ship for dinner and enjoyed a nice meal. Once again, everything was served fresh and hot. Now on to Dubrovnic! Woke and headed up to the Piazza Navona for coffee. Decided to opt for the Trattoria for breakfast on deck 10. Not too crowded at breakfast time with 2 egg stations whipping up omelletes and fried eggs. Standard fare of pork sausage, bacon and ham. This never changed for the whole week. It was certainly faster serving ourselves than in the Tivoli restaurant. Beautiful town and we really enjoyed the port. Found the main dining room dinner to be consistent for the whole week. Mostly had a positive experience. I came on the ship with an open mind and I feel that the crew did the best they could with this aging cruise ship. The trattoria food service area is not user friendly and on certain days was overcrowded. More thought could be given to keeping the Tivoli open a little longer for lunch to offset the crush in the self service restaurant. I found the staff in the self service restaurant was extremely slow at clearing tables, especially on the aft, outside deck. They seemed to lack any enthusiasm and would walk by tables full of dirty dishes while people searched for a place to sit and eat. Read Less
Sail Date: June 2012
We took the 7 night Costa Classica cruise ex Trieste from June 30Th 2012.Despite reading bad reviews of 36% rating, we braved the booking, primarily for the interesting itinerary-Trieste,Ancona,Dubrovnik,Corfu,Argostoli,Kotor & Split & secondly for the pricing.Had we taken surface transportation,airport transfers,3+ star hotels with a continental breakfast, soup and sandwich for lunch & a 3course meal for dinner at a water front restaurant & seen 2 or 3 shows,the cost would have far outweighed what we spent on this cruise by 40%. Family of 4,age group between 52-60 years,booked one suite on the 9Th floor Portifino deck & one inside cabin 5th floor Pisa deck.We got a good idea of the cabin quality & service levels from both ends of the Costa product. Classica was a medium sized ship.Clean, well designed, with just the perfect balance of lounges,casino, spa,shops,swimming pool& restaurants etc for such a port intensive route.We would not have justified the time spent at the port visa vis on the ship had the ship offered more than what it did. The food served is excellent- variety of spread for breakfast, lunch, high tea & dinner.High tea with sandwiches & cakes were a bonus.The continuous flow of pizzas from an an Italian liner was expected.Had read that the quantity in the sit down meals was small.True.But if one ate all that was on the menu as in a starter,soup,salad,pasta,main dish & dessert,one could barely complain of quantity.We were stuffed to the hilt.The quality of fish,beef,vegetables,salads & desserts at the dining was excellent.European menus served in style not clumps of meat and unhealthy french fries galore. The service levels is & the human touch made the Costa experience a ++.Free cake given on birthdays and wedding anniversaries of cruisers & a special invitation for a glass of champagne for honeymooners or wedding anniversary celebrants at sundown with the captain hosting a small ceremony of re-affirming of wedding vows made it a very special experience of our group members who were celebrating their 23rd wedding anniversary. The children are well taken care of with a lot of creative activity,small parties of juices & small eats while the parents are busy on shore excursions or the casino etc. The entertainment on board are a tad boring but we were too tired after our shore excursions to even attend more than 2 programs on board. The all inclusive drinks package is reasonable.We opted for single drinks as 2 were teetotalers. The price was equivalent to the rates applicable to a good water front restaurant ashore, so why complain of the rates on board, which had the ambiance plus live music & the Mediterranean as the backdrop. The guests of all nationalities made the atmosphere vibrant and less formal. On the negatives- 1)the inside cabins are tad weary in appearance.Large in size but the linen,upholstery,shower curtains & TV are age old.Clean but faded.There was a sticky tape stuck on the water sprinkler in cabin #5121!The adjoining cabin was not so badly off & the ones with the windows were bright and looked airy.2)Shore excursion knowledge was not in depth.I had done a fair bit of homework on Trip Advisor & Google, so it was not such an issue.All the ports can be seen on your own or through local agents without booking the ship's shore trips.3)The 24 hours coffee in the coffee urns were not fresh after mid morning, it was better to use the Nescafe sachets or drink tea.4)A ship's naturalist or commentator,like in the Alaska cruises would have been good, to explain the different land formations & coastal weathered features we were passing. Over all,considering the horrific reviews I had read, the Costa experience was very good.We opted to cruise as an alternate mode of convenient travel to the far flung ports,like Kotor,Dubrovnik,Corfu etc, all in one trip and for that purpose cruising on Costa Classica served more than its purpose, in terms of convenience, quality of boarding & lodging & conveyance. Read Less
Costa neoClassica Ratings