We had 30 cruises with Princess but decided to go on a Celebrity cruise because it included 3 days in Israel. We expected a high quality cruise similar to Princess or possibly an improvement. Although the itinerary was good, the ... Read More
We had 30 cruises with Princess but decided to go on a Celebrity cruise because it included 3 days in Israel. We expected a high quality cruise similar to Princess or possibly an improvement. Although the itinerary was good, the Celebrity Cruise was terrible. Here are a few of the problems:
- We were at sea 2 days before arriving at Israel and all passengers wanted to learn about Israel (culture, religious history and conflicts, sights to visit, creation of country, government, etc,) but Celebrity did not have a single presentation on Israel prior to arriving there. This is complelely unacceptable and all passengers were disappointed and angry about this Celebrity failure.
- The entertainment was a almost non-existent, but what they had was very poor. They had 3 production shows in their theatre but they were a joke: no themes, low quality performers, street acrobats, very disjointed and mostly dark and depressing. Whereas Princess shows are fabulous! We tried to find a place to dance but when we went to a night club venue (twice) after the theatre shows, all they had was a DJ playing music videos, there was no dancing. Most passengers were like us, we walked in found nothing going on and walked out. Many bar tenders and waiters were standing around. Celebrity did have a small dance floor near the elevators, but it only held 20 people on a ship with 3000 passengers. This was the only live entertainment on the ship!!!! We feel that Celebrity is just a very, very cheap and they don't want to spend money on entertainment. On Princess they have live entertainment in the Wheelhouse Bar, the Explorers Lounge, the Club Fusion, the piano bars, and the beautiful Atrium. Plus they always have a classical string instrument group that plays both in Atrium and in a separate classical lounge at night. Princess even has afternoon tea dances, which we love; jugglers and acrobats in the Atrium, etc. We have never had such a terribly entertainment on a cruise!
- The dining room food was poorly prepared and tasteless. We like to eat fish on cruises but we were unable to eat most Celebrity fish. They could only prepare salmon, so we had to eat it nearly every night. The salads has absolutely no taste. When we complained about the food, they recommended we go to one of their premium dining rooms where they charge $45 per person.
- The room steward was completely incompetent and made so many mistakes we had to have her changed (the first time we've ever had to do this in 40 cruises). She would never have ice available and even forgot to leave the empty ice bucket. She kept resetting the temperature adjustment to the max maximum temperature so the shower was scalding hot when we got in.
Apparently Celebrity doesn't train their employees on how to clean a room. And, please note we had an upgraded Concierge Balcony Cabin.
- The cabins were extremely small with very little storage space for clothes. The worst storages situation we've ever had on a cruise.
- They gave us several bottles of Champagne because of their service failures but when we asked if we could trade the Champagne for Diet Cokes they refused to permit this change.
= We complained about the cruise after we returned but Celebrity Customer Service said that we received the same cruise as all the other passengers, so we didn't deserve any compensation or future cruise discount. Read Less