I planned our first long trip away from our son to come on this cruise with My husband. I had heard many horror stories recently, even from my own parents, who had just gotten off a 10 day Carnival Cruise in April and had air in their ... Read More
I planned our first long trip away from our son to come on this cruise with My husband. I had heard many horror stories recently, even from my own parents, who had just gotten off a 10 day Carnival Cruise in April and had air in their cabin only ONE DAY - Carnival refused to move them, fix it or anything else. I thought this cruise was short enough to be good and have great service. I must say, this was NOT the case. Overall, this was not only the worst cruise I have personally ever taken, it shows me that the Carnival line itself is one I never want to cruise with. My mother in law is a cruise travel agent, and I have already made it abundantly clear that this year, for all three annual family cruises, she will have to put us on different cruise lines, because Carnival is just not happening again.
1. the quality of food was terrible- I understand, mass produced food is usually mediocre at best, but the problem is, On day 4, My steak was actually spoiled. I asked for a new piece, and when that piece was spoiled too, I went up to the lido deck and just got grilled veggies and put them on a bun.
2. The service was terrible. Each night, we would order dessert at our table for dinner, along with coffee. 1 night we got coffee AFTER finishing dessert, 2 nights we never got it at all and by day 4 we knew better then to even try and order- so we opted to go up ourselves to 9 and get them. On the last day, we could not stomach the dining room again and just ate up at the lido deck- where i got pizza and my husband got the same.
3. The room steward was not only not attentive, he could not understand ONE word I said and vice versa. I asked for numerous things while there, never once did it actually get done- these were small things, I asked for ice, never got it, i asked for directions, not correct, i asked for guidance on something within the ship, he told me to go to guest services. On day one of the cruise, my steward came and introduced himself. I tipped him $20.00 up front and expected good service, as I have done this countless times on other cruises- this is unfortunately NOT what happened and instead I felt like I was treated worse.
4.The ship offered very little variety of anything- the deck constantly had RAP music, as did most other bars on the ship- there was a blues type bar that had a great guy singing on the first night. we sat in there and enjoyed it so much. the next evening we went back, expecting something similiar, but instead there was karaoke. In fact, there was karaoke the rest of the cruise each night in that bar. We were unable to find anything worth while except the last night's comedy show as far as entertainment.
5. I am not a big stickler for decor or anything of the sort, but if you are, you will have issue with this very old, dingy decor.
6. They took out the sushi bar, but still have it on the map. no biggie, except every person working on the ship directed us toward different places they "thought it was" and come to find out (only after going to guest services.... it does not exist anymore) Generally the staff seemed like it was their first day on the ship. The same thing pretty much happened with table tennis. it was supposed to be up top by the golf, but it was not. Guest services was confused and said they did not have table tennis, but it was on the information i received about the ship when I booked. They also had a table tennis tournament, but I was told that was a portable table that was not available to play on during regular cruising time.
7. The pools constantly stated on the TV "information screen" that they were 85 degrees, indicating they were heated. They were not. They were ice cold the entire trip, while the hot tubs were probably more like 85 degrees, and not that hot at all.
8. Overcharges; Watch your bill. My husband and I went to the play room to have some friendly games a couple nights in the evening- one night we were charged for 7 games, when we only played 4, the next day, we were charged for 3 when we only played 2. We also were told they would give us a free phone call to shore when they messed up our cabin debarkation time. I had a car service scheduled and they would not accept it as proof of needing early debarkation, instead they offered a free phone call to try and change my car service- i couldnt, so i had to pay an extra 150.00 for him to wait for those extra 2 hours. - but my phone call was also not free and I was charged almost 6.00
9. Information in general.- there was no information really provided - for instance, the soda program, we knew nothing about it because no one mentioned it. I would have gladly purchased it, but once we found out on day 4 about it, we were not allowed to purchase it. This leads in to the cost of everything being extremely inflated with little to no specials. I am a cruising pro- usually around 6 a year, as my mother in law is a cruise travel agent- and i have never been on a ship where they charge as much for each thing and never offer specials. They had some spa specials, but if you didnt read the information packet, you never knew, which was fine, but just like the soda package, information should have both been announced and available in different parts of the ship.
10. Layout- This ship's layout is messed up. it is confusing and you can be lost within seconds. there are also no clear signs to lead you where you need to be.
11. Fitness room only open until 10pm ???? I just do not know what to say about this. it is ridiculous!
Overall, this ship was a giant waste of money. We paid for the balcony room, but have had more space on the quick 2 day cruise we take out of PB. In fact, we enjoyed that cruise much more thoroughly a couple months ago, and would be more willing to go on that 3 times in a row before I ever stepped foot on Carnival again. I have already started working on our March cruise with my mother in law, as well as our April and July ones, and I am relieved that everyone has agreed we will not be going with Carnival.