Regal Princess, which debuted in spring 2014, combines sophistication in design with a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. If you're weighing your cruise ship choices and not sure where to start, we've got 10 reasons you might consider Regal Princess.
Regal Princess might just be the perfect ship for you if:
1. You like to walk on the edge.
Regal Princess has a glass-bottomed walkway that projects over the side of the ship on the pool deck. The line calls this the SeaWalk, and it's a great spot to visit if you want take on your fear of heights. Take a moment to snap a picture of the view straight down from 16 decks high.
2. You've been looking for an excellent buffet.The buffet on Regal Princess -- collectively comprising Horizon Court, the more casual Horizon Bistro and over-the-top sweet spot, The Pastry Shop -- is enormous, and the selection is incredible. The food tastes fresh and offers variety for any diet -- vegetarian, gluten-free, low-sodium, etc.
3. Chocolate is your thing.
Princess partnered with chocolatier Norman Love, and his dessert creations are available on menus throughout the ship. (My favorite is his incredible take on tiramisu.) Not enough chocolate? You can get achocolate massagein the ship's Lotus Spa.
4. You are a movie buff.Princess invented Movies Under The Stars, and on Regal Princess, you can chill under the stars watching movie classics as well as newly released options. Bonus: You'll get cushy loungers (with pillows!), blankets and popcorn. Even better, if you miss a showing on the big screen you can still catch the movie on demand in your room -- at no extra cost.
5. You're a fan of the fountain show at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
While not as big as the show at the Bellagio, the fountain show on Regal Princess is still something to behold. Combining lights, sprays, music and a big-screen backdrop, each themed show (the songs of Michael Jackson, for example) runs about five minutes and will bring a smile to your face. The shows change throughout the cruise, so you can come back again and again.
6. Good pizza makes you happy.
It doesn't get much better than Alfredo's, the pizzeria on Regal Princess. Available from lunchtime to late -- and requiring no extra fee -- Alfredo's offers unique options, like a shrimp and mussel pizza, as well as classic standards, like veggie. Crusts are thin and crisp, ingredients are fresh and servings are ample.
7. You want an atrium with some va-va-voom.
On Regal Princess, plenty of action takes place in the atrium, from live music to acrobatics to Champagne toasts and balloon drops. The atrium is the perfect backdrop, with lots of marble, glass and gold. Four spiral staircases and incredible lighting add wow to the space.
8. You loved "Moulin Rouge" or "Big Fish."
Fans of the movies -- and their fantastical yet romantic world -- will be drawn to "Fiera," Regal Princess' production show that combines modern music, dancing and technology with breathtaking results.
9. You like to be part of the entertainment.
Sure, you can sit and watch a show passively, but with Princess Live TV studio, you can be part of the action -- and actually show up on TV the next morning. On Regal Princess, many of the game shows take place in Princess Live, and most involve audience participation, though you're more than welcome to watch as a bystander. The ship also puts on passenger talent contests and fashion shows.
10. You dreamed of sailing on "The Love Boat."
A staple of TV in the '70s and '80s,The Love Boat takes place on a Princess ship. The line continues to play up the relationship with the show, and as part of Princess' 50th anniversary celebration in 2015, passengers on Regal Princess can slip on their leisure suits and platform shoes and celebrate at the ship's Love Boat Disco Party. The music is strictly 70s, and stars from the classic TV show dance along with you on the big-screen poolside.