APT Cruises partners with AmaWaterways to provide perks-laden full-ship charters of Ama's ships.
The rivers of the world are fast becoming hotspots for travelers. European river cruising has boomed in the last decade, and cruise lines are expanding to more exotic and interesting parts of the globe every year. So whether you'd like to sail gently along as medieval castles float by your balcony or you prefer the hustle and bustle of a trip through an Asian metropolis, we can help you find your perfect river cruise. Take a look at where you can go by riverboat.
River Cruise Basics
River cruises are an increasingly popular option for travelers. Get the inside scoop to find out why and what to expect.
Choose a Europe River Cruise
With so many itineraries offered, choosing a river cruise can be overwhelming. Here are our tips to help you pick your perfect cruise.
New River Cruise Ships on Order
Here's what's on deck for new river cruise ships making a splash in 2016.
98% Loved It
96% Loved It
96% Loved It
96% Loved It
Popular River Cruise Lines
AmaWaterways' fleet of ships sail Europe's largest rivers as well as in Africa, Asia and Russia.
Avalon operates 15 ships in Europe and eight more in the Galapagos, Mekong Delta, China and Egypt.
CroisiEurope's focus is providing a good value-for-money cruise experience that is decidedly French.
All-inclusive, Scenic offers unlimited drinks and butler service for all guests in Europe.
Uniworld's cuisine and service are on a par with ocean-going luxury vessels, and the decor dazzles.
Viking's Longship-class ships are identical and make for a consistently good cruise experience.
Abercrombie & Kent tours offer high-end cruises on chartered river and canal boats.
Amadeus offers a moderately priced, a la carte cruising experience, and touts its food and wine.
American Cruise Lines' fleet of seven ships sail great American waterways including the Mississippi.
American Queen Steamboat Company harks back to the glory days of Big Muddy riverboat cruising.
Aqua Expeditions specializes in eco-friendly Amazon cruises on a small, luxurious ship.
Blount offers simple, comfortable cruises on its two American, shallow-draft coastal cruise vessels.
Grand Circle offers a mostly American clientele cruises emphasizing other cultures and traditions.
Pandaw's ships all boast promenade decks and ply rivers in the remotest reaches of Southeast Asia.
St. Lawrence Cruise Lines cruises between Canada and New York State, catering to senior travellers.
Tauck is an upscale and all-inclusive river cruise line with a relaxed, elegant vibe.
Travelmarvel ships offer a high standard you would expect from an APT-owned river cruise line.
Vantage specializes in river cruises, land tours, and small-ship voyages for travelers 55 plus.
Victoria Cruises, operating solely on China's Yangtze River, caters heavily to Western tastes.
Popular River Destinations
River Cruise Planning
- 11 Reasons to Take Luxury River Cruises
- 5 Awesome Danube River Cruise Ports You've Never Heard Of
- 5 Perfect Souvenirs from a Europe Christmas Markets Cruise
- 5 Tips for a Paris River Cruise
- 5 Tips for a Venice River Cruise
- 5 Tips for an Amsterdam River Cruise
- 6 Surprising Reasons to Take a Pacific Northwest River Cruise
- 6 Things You Must Know About River Cruising in Africa
- 7 Cool Reasons to Take Mississippi Riverboat Cruises
- 8 Essential Reasons to Take a European River Cruise
- 8 Reasons to Take a Christmas Markets Cruise
- A Guide to Accessible River Cruises
- A River Cruise with a Butler: We Try It on Uniworld and Scenic
- American vs. European River Cruises
- Avalon vs. Viking
- Best (and Wurst) of the Rhine River Christmas Markets
- Best Family River Cruises
- Best River Cruise Cabins
- Biking Along the Danube: We Try It on Avalon Passion
- Bordeaux River Cruise Tips
- Canal Cruise Tips
- Columbia and Snake River Cruise Tips
- Come Aboard My Hudson River Cruise on American Spirit
- Come Aboard My Nile River Cruise on Uniworld's River Tosca
- Come Aboard My Rhine River Cruise on Avalon Creativity
- Cruise Line Tipping Policies: River and Barge Lines
- Cruising Eastern Europe on the Danube River
- Danube River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Danube River Cruise Tips
- Douro River Cruise Tips
- East Asia Cruise Tips
- Elbe River Cruise Tips
- Emerald Waterways vs. Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- Emerald Waterways vs. Viking River Cruises
- European Christmas Market Cruises: Beyond the Danube and Rhine
- First River Cruise? Here Are 11 Things Ocean Cruisers Need to Know
- French River Cruise Tips
- Grand Circle vs. Vantage River Cruises
- How to Choose a Europe River Cruise
- How Wind and Water Levels Could Ruin Your River Cruise
- Irrawaddy River Cruise Tips
- Letter From ... an Egypt in Flux
- Loire River Cruise Tips
- Main River Cruise Tips
- Mekong River Cruise Tips
- Meuse River Cruise Tips
- Mississippi River Cruise Tips
- Moselle River Cruise Tips
- Murray River Cruise Tips
- New River Cruise Ships in 2015
- New River Cruise Ships on Order
- Newest River Cruise Ships in 2016
- Ohio River Cruise Tips
- Po River Cruise Tips
- Postcards from a Po River Cruise in Italy
- Postcards from an Elbe River Cruise
- Postcards from My Russia River Cruise
- Rhine River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Rhine River Cruise Tips
- Rhine River vs. Danube River Cruises
- Rhone River Cruise Tips
- River Cruise Basics
- River Cruise Prices: A Primer for the First Timer
- River Cruising Trends: Europe
- Russian River Cruise Tips
- Scenic vs. Viking River Cruises
- Seine River Cruise Tips
- Slideshow: Creating a New Cruise Itinerary
- Slideshow: Emerald Waterways' Emerald Sky, Before & After
- Slideshow: River Cruise Queens of the Mississippi
- Slideshow: Viking River Highclere Castle/Downton Abbey Tour
- Thames River Cruise Tips
- The 15 Best Small Cruise Ship Lines
- Tibet Cruise Tour Tips
- Tips for Choosing an Asia River Cruise
- Top 7 Tips for Cruising with an Elderly Parent
- Tulip River Cruise Tips
- U.S. River Cruises: 9 Things to Know
- Uniworld vs. Scenic
- Upper Mississippi River vs. Lower Mississippi River Cruises
- Viking River Cruises vs. CroisiEurope and A-Rosa
- Viking River Cruises vs. Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- Viking vs. Uniworld
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Cabins
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Docking Locations
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Low River Water Levels, High River Water Levels and Weather Issues
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Shore Excursions
- What to Expect on Vantage River Cruises
- What to Expect: Dining on a River Cruise
- Why AmaWaterways Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why CroisiEurope Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Emerald Waterways Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Go There: 8 Reasons to Cruise Along the Douro River
- Why Scenic Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Uniworld Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Vantage Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Viking River Cruises Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Wine Sailings on Pacific Northwest River Cruises
- Yangtze River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Yangtze River Cruise Tips
River Cruise Reviews
Viking River Cruise, Europe 2016. Shantzyboy06/16We have friends who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this summer and wanted us to join them on this river cruise. We have done 6 ocean cruises but this was the first river cruise. It was great to be able to see shoreline all of the ... Read more
Fantastic ruth090406/16Due to swollen rivers at the start of our trip we were not able to get on our ship from the original starting point, we had to be bussed further down the river to where the boat was moored. Had no problem with this as we would not have travelled ... Read more
05/16We've been on river cruises with a different but well known company previously and were planning to book with them again. However, luckily for us we were tempted to try "the new kid on the block" Emerald Waterways when we realised that we ... Read more
Best Cruise Experience Frances88805/16This was an outstanding cruise. The ship was beautiful and well maintained. Embarkation/disembarkation went very smoothly. The cabin, dining and service were all above expectations. Best of all, the crew was very friendly and helpful. It ... Read more
05/16We chose Emerald because of the ship design, traveling schedule, all tips being covered (very convenient) and overall price. We loved the ship and crew, enjoyed very good meals which featured menu options from the area we were traveling through and ... Read more
Down the Rhine & Danube email@example.com/16We are retired & have cruised with many lines, many times. The Scenic Experience is complete - air, transfers, alcohol(even in the room refrigerators), gratuities, excursions, whisperers, personalized GPS, & motorized bikes anytime. Nikola, ... Read more
Quality all the way sigmatrain05/16Our Golden Wedding anniversary treat did not get off to a good start! Due to (apparently regular) delays at Amsterdam airport our flights to and from this hub (hub - hub) to Basel were delayed but at least we eventually arrived. But our luggage ... Read more
River Cruise Forum Threads
- Cuckoo clocks ubsueg
- So sad, we should be in Nuremberg today... AAAMomOfOne
- Uniworld River Beatrice, 4/10/16 Budapest to Passau jpalbny
- Rhine water levels 2016 and similar topics notamermaid
- River cruise out of Gretna (near New Orleans) HCTiger9704
- Viking Elegant Elbe 9/30/16 worldtraveler1234
- Uniworld Egypt pinotlover
- All Things Avalon FuelScience