APT Cruises partners with AmaWaterways to provide perks-laden full-ship charters of Ama's ships.
The rivers of the world are fast becoming hotspots for travelers. European river cruising has boomed in the last decade, and cruise lines are expanding to more exotic and interesting parts of the globe every year. So whether you'd like to sail gently along as medieval castles float by your balcony or you prefer the hustle and bustle of a trip through an Asian metropolis, we can help you find your perfect river cruise. Take a look at where you can go by riverboat.
River Cruise Basics
River cruises are an increasingly popular option for travelers. Get the inside scoop to find out why and what to expect.
Choose a Europe River Cruise
With so many itineraries offered, choosing a river cruise can be overwhelming. Here are our tips to help you pick your perfect cruise.
New River Cruise Ships on Order
Here's what's on deck for new river cruise ships making a splash in 2016.
98% Loved It
98% Loved It
91% Loved It
85% Loved It
Popular River Cruise Lines
AmaWaterways' fleet of ships sail Europe's largest rivers as well as in Africa, Asia and Russia.
Avalon operates 15 ships in Europe and eight more in the Galapagos, Mekong Delta, China and Egypt.
CroisiEurope's focus is providing a good value-for-money cruise experience that is decidedly French.
All-inclusive, Scenic offers unlimited drinks and butler service for all guests in Europe.
Uniworld's cuisine and service are on a par with ocean-going luxury vessels, and the decor dazzles.
Viking's Longship-class ships are identical and make for a consistently good cruise experience.
Abercrombie & Kent tours offer high-end cruises on chartered river and canal boats.
Amadeus offers a moderately priced, a la carte cruising experience, and touts its food and wine.
American Cruise Lines' fleet of seven ships sail great American waterways including the Mississippi.
American Queen Steamboat Company harks back to the glory days of Big Muddy riverboat cruising.
Aqua Expeditions specializes in eco-friendly Amazon cruises on a small, luxurious ship.
Blount offers simple, comfortable cruises on its two American, shallow-draft coastal cruise vessels.
Grand Circle offers a mostly American clientele cruises emphasizing other cultures and traditions.
Pandaw's ships all boast promenade decks and ply rivers in the remotest reaches of Southeast Asia.
St. Lawrence Cruise Lines cruises between Canada and New York State, catering to senior travellers.
Tauck is an upscale and all-inclusive river cruise line with a relaxed, elegant vibe.
Travelmarvel ships offer a high standard you would expect from an APT-owned river cruise line.
Vantage specializes in river cruises, land tours, and small-ship voyages for travelers 55 plus.
Victoria Cruises, operating solely on China's Yangtze River, caters heavily to Western tastes.
Popular River Destinations
River Cruise Planning
- 11 Reasons to Take Luxury River Cruises
- 5 Awesome Danube River Cruise Ports You've Never Heard Of
- 5 Perfect Souvenirs from a Europe Christmas Markets Cruise
- 5 Tips for a Paris River Cruise
- 5 Tips for a Venice River Cruise
- 5 Tips for an Amsterdam River Cruise
- 6 Great Mississippi River Downtowns
- 6 Surprising Reasons to Take a Pacific Northwest River Cruise
- 6 Things You Must Know About River Cruising in Africa
- 7 Cool Reasons to Take Mississippi Riverboat Cruises
- 7 Ways to Find Europe Along the Mississippi
- 8 Essential Reasons to Take a European River Cruise
- 8 Reasons to Take a Christmas Markets Cruise
- A Guide to Accessible River Cruises
- A River Cruise with a Butler: We Try It on Uniworld and Scenic
- A Truffle, Wine and Cheese Cruise Excursion: We Try It With Viking River Cruises
- AmaWaterways vs. Viking River Cruises
- American vs. European River Cruises
- Avalon vs. Viking
- Best (and Wurst) of the Rhine River Christmas Markets
- Best Family River Cruises
- Best River Cruise Cabins
- Biking Along the Danube: We Try It on Avalon Passion
- Bordeaux River Cruise Tips
- Canal Cruise Tips
- Columbia and Snake River Cruise Tips
- Come Aboard My Hudson River Cruise on American Spirit
- Come Aboard My Nile River Cruise on Uniworld's River Tosca
- Come Aboard My Rhine River Cruise on Avalon Creativity
- Cruise Line Tipping Policies: River and Barge Lines
- Cruising Eastern Europe on the Danube River
- Danube River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Danube River Cruise Tips
- Douro River Cruise Tips
- East Asia Cruise Tips
- Elbe River Cruise Tips
- Emerald Waterways vs. Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- Emerald Waterways vs. Viking River Cruises
- European Christmas Market Cruises: Beyond the Danube and Rhine
- First River Cruise? Here Are 11 Things Ocean Cruisers Need to Know
- French River Cruise Tips
- Grand Circle vs. Vantage River Cruises
- How to Choose a Europe River Cruise
- How Wind and Water Levels Could Ruin Your River Cruise
- Irrawaddy River Cruise Tips
- Letter From ... an Egypt in Flux
- Loire River Cruise Tips
- Main River Cruise Tips
- Mekong River Cruise Tips
- Meuse River Cruise Tips
- Mississippi River Cruise Tips
- Moselle River Cruise Tips
- Murray River Cruise Tips
- New River Cruise Ships in 2015
- New River Cruise Ships on Order
- Newest River Cruise Ships in 2016
- Ohio River Cruise Tips
- Po River Cruise Tips
- Postcards from a Po River Cruise in Italy
- Postcards from an Elbe River Cruise
- Postcards from My Russia River Cruise
- Rhine River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Rhine River Cruise Tips
- Rhine River vs. Danube River Cruises
- Rhone River Cruise Tips
- River Cruise Basics
- River Cruise Prices: A Primer for the First Timer
- River Cruising Trends: Europe
- Russian River Cruise Tips
- Scenic vs. Viking River Cruises
- Seine River Cruise Tips
- Slideshow: Creating a New Cruise Itinerary
- Slideshow: Emerald Waterways' Emerald Sky, Before & After
- Slideshow: River Cruise Queens of the Mississippi
- Slideshow: Viking River Highclere Castle/Downton Abbey Tour
- Thames River Cruise Tips
- The 15 Best Small Cruise Ship Lines
- Tibet Cruise Tour Tips
- Tips for Choosing an Asia River Cruise
- Tips for Tasting: Cruising Along Kentucky's Bourbon Trail
- Top 7 Tips for Cruising with an Elderly Parent
- Tulip River Cruise Tips
- U.S. River Cruises: 9 Things to Know
- Uniworld vs. Scenic
- Upper Mississippi River vs. Lower Mississippi River Cruises
- Viking River Cruises vs. CroisiEurope and A-Rosa
- Viking River Cruises vs. Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- Viking vs. Uniworld
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Cabins
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Docking Locations
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Families and Children
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Low River Water Levels, High River Water Levels and Weather Issues
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: Shore Excursions
- What to Expect on a River Cruise: What's Included in My Cruise Fare?
- What to Expect on Vantage River Cruises
- What to Expect: Dining on a River Cruise
- Where to Find the Mississippi River Blues
- Why AmaWaterways Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why CroisiEurope Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Emerald Waterways Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Go There: 8 Reasons to Cruise Along the Douro River
- Why Scenic Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Uniworld Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Vantage Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Why Viking River Cruises Is the River Cruise Line for You
- Wine Sailings on Pacific Northwest River Cruises
- Yangtze River Cruise Prices: How to Find a Good Deal
- Yangtze River Cruise Tips
River Cruise Reviews
07/16Our Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Bucharest was fantastic in every way. I had been reluctant to go on any form of cruise previously and had finally agreed to try this one. I would go on another one in a heartbeat! We chose this cruise both ... Read more
07/16We were looking for a cruise departing near our home, and were also interested in American Cruise Line since we thought we should see some of the USA now, having cruised in the Caribbean and Europe, and we wanted to experience small ship cruising. ... Read more
We Were Hesitant to Cruise - Now We're Hooked! email@example.com/16This was our very first cruise, and I had always wanted to visit Budapest, the birthplace of both sets of my grandparents. Everything about the cruise was wonderful- delicious food, informative tours, excellent staff, comfortable amenities, easy ... Read more
Excellent Family Cruise Experience firstname.lastname@example.org/16We just returned from an amazing trip on the River Empress on one of its designated family cruises. It was beyond any of our expectations. There were 13 people in our party of extended family members (including 5 children ranging from 3-17). ... Read more
First Cruise with Emerald Graham595907/16My wife and I chose a river cruise from Amsterdam to basle with emerald a first river cruise for us and I would highly recommend it guests were a mixture of people from uk Australia and Canada in the main and everybody we talked to were really ... Read more
Great first cruise experience! molisa101107/16Booked this cruise with my daughter as a college graduation present and it was a gift to us both. This was our first cruise and, although I don't have another experience to compare it to, it was a wonderful experience. This cruise line really ... Read more
Boring and not for the active traveler. Portugaltraveler07/16We took the Torgil for a cruise on the Douro. I commend the staff who executed the Viking program with professionalism and efficiency. I also will say that the cabin was quite nice although I would have liked the bird poop and other dirt to have ... Read more
River Cruise Forum Threads
- Russian rivers question claret300
- And the journey has begun! Rebel54
- informal dining on river cruises? holidaydiva
- Gunmen rob tourists on Amazon riverboat cruise G.M.T.
- Double Docking flynnsky
- Security on River Cruises anyone concerned? amd1234
- Salzburg or CeskyKrumlov??? mmsoko
- Feeling aprehensive ubsueg