When Britannia debuts in February 2015, it will be by far the biggest ship in the P&O Cruises' fleet, coming in at 141,000 tons and carrying 3,611 passengers: some 25,000-tones larger than P&O's previous biggest ship, Azura.
It will also be the biggest ship ever built specifically for the U.K. market.
The ship takes the most popular features of the rest of the fleet -- Olly Smith's The Glass House, Atul Kochar's Sindhu restaurant, The Crow's Nest Bar -- and adds them to some brand new features.
The line has also enlisted the help of a number of celebrity chefs including James Martin to create the first cookery school onboard a British ship, The Cookery Club. Martin will be joined by P&O regulars Marco Pierre White, Atul Kochar and wine guru Olly Smith, as well as Eric "Cake Boy" Lanlard, as part of Britannia's "Food Heroes".
• Purpose-built single cabins with balconies
• Three tier feature atrium with a Star Burst sculpture, Eric Lanlard patisserie, a charcuterie and gelateria
• Oasis Spa and open deck Retreat
• Sports Arena
• Four swimming pools including a Serenity “quiet zone” pool and bar
• The Limelight Club -- a combined entertainment and dining venue in the tradition of the supper club
• 936-seat state of the art theatre with LED screen
• The Crystal Room –- dedicated to all types of dance
• A dedicated supervised children's club for ages 2-17 including a dedicated teens' area.
The ship will also feature The Studio -- multi-purpose “TV studio” for guest speakers, talks, demonstrations, cinema screenings, radio plays or game shows -- the same as on Princess Cruises' Royal Princess.
For the first time a British design company, Richmond, is overseeing the whole of the design of the ship's interiors to incorporate P&O's 175 years of history, and using modern design touches to try and bring in new-to-cruise passengers.
Richmond has worked on a number of great British hotels, including The Langham, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, Intercontinental Hotel London, and Four Seasons Hampshire; as well as international hotels including Four Seasons Mauritius and Sandy Lane Barbados.
Britannia will sail out of the UK to the Mediterranean, Canary Islands, Norway, the Baltic and spend winter in the Caribbean. Tickets go on sale on Thursday March 27, 2014.