Orion Expedition Cruises
Orion Expedition Cruises Highlights
- Line's one ship, Orion, circles Australian year-round
- Expeditions to Tasmania, Papua New Guinea, Great Barrier Reef
- Stresses comfort, with delectable cuisine and luxurious cabins
- Line added second ship -- based in South East Asia -- in 2011
- Orion Expedition News: Update: Cruise Ship Passengers Compensated for Rescue of Stranded Yachtsman -- Video and Photos
Orion Expedition Cruises Fleet (1)
The 100-passenger Orion II joined the Orion fleet in May 2011, after $19 million of refurbishments. However, after a series of incidents including technical problems, and an episode in September 2011 when the 20-year-old vessel ran aground in Borneo, Orion has decided to return it in mid-November 2012. Orion owner Serina Bratton has said she will make an announcement regarding a replacement vessel joining the fleet "very soon".
Life onboard is casual. Sport jackets with or without ties are rare to nonexistent. The key players in the ship's staff are the expedition team, including one or more accredited experts in the sciences, history or culture, who provide background lectures, briefings, daily recaps and lead exploration trips ashore.
Dining is buffet for breakfast and lunch, and a la carte dinners served open seating. Entertainment is limited to one or two musicians.