According to Cuba Cruise Corp. owner Sam Blyth, who yesterday announced the "indefinite postponement" of his company’s cruises to Cuba, says that all passengers booked on voyages -- which were slated to begin Saturday, November 18 -- will receive prompt, full refunds.
The Toronto-based Blyth says his staff is contacting cruise passengers by telephone and a letter that will explain, in more detail, the reasons behind the sudden cancellation of the voyages. The company had received a bomb threat -- made over Cuba Cruise Corp.’s toll-free reservation line by a Spanish speaking person -- earlier this week. It was a threat that Blyth says was “significantly specific” enough to warrant the shutdown.
Passengers who still want to travel to Cuba have other options. They may transfer their booking (Blyth’s company will handle the details) to the Italian-based Valtur Prima, a ship that is marketed to European passengers whose countries have no travel embargoes against Cuba. The Valtur Prima sails seven-day itineraries from Montego Bay, Jamaica; besides the Cuban Havana and Isle of Youth, the ship also calls at Georgetown, Grand Cayman, and Calica (Mayan Riviera), Mexico.
For more information, call Cuba Cruise Corp. at 800-387-1387.