(2:59 p.m. EDT) -- Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas will sail a whopper of a journey when it spends 53 nights at sea between its first homeport of New York City and Shanghai, its new homeport. Called the Quantum Global Odyssey, the journey will be split into five legs with the first departing New York on May 2, 2015.
Cruisers may book the entire sailing or one (or more) of the following segments:
* An 11-night transatlantic crossing from Cape Liberty, New Jersey, to Barcelona, stopping at Ponta Delgada, Azores, and Cartagena and Palma de Mallorca in Spain
* A 16-night Suez Canal journey from Barcelona to Dubai, calling on Rome and Naples in Italy; Athens, Greece; and Aqaba, Jordan.
* A 14-night India and Southeast Asia itinerary from Dubai to Singapore, which features overnights in Dubai; Cochin, India; and Singapore. It also stops in Muscat, Oman, and Penang, Malaysia.
* A three-night Malaysia sailing, departing roundtrip from Singapore, calling on Kuala Lumpur.
* A nine-night Exotic Asia cruise from Singapore to Shanghai with calls on Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; and Xiamen, China, with an overnight in Hong Kong.
Quantum of the Seas is the first ship in the much-anticipated Quantum Class. It will introduce innovations like a skydiving simulator, the North Star -- a jewel-shaped glass capsule that extends 300 feet above the ship for 360-degree sea views -- the Seaplex sports and entertainment complex and Dynamic Dining, a concept that dispatches with the traditional main dining room in favor of multiple, more flexible options.
--By Dori Saltzman, News Editor