| Date Published: July 13, 2013 |
More current news for Royal Caribbean International:|
Royal Caribbean Delays Roll Out of Dynamic Dining to More Cruise Ships
Royal Caribbean International Profile and Reviews
Latest Cruise News Headlines
|Royal Caribbean Bumps Passengers From Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Twice|
(2:45 a.m. EDT) -- A number of passengers due to set sail on Grandeur of the Seas' first cruise since a fire disabled the ship in late May had already been re-accommodated, it has been revealed.
As many as 26 passengers had been scheduled to sail in the six-week period the ship was out of service following the fire on Deck 3, which swept through its mooring section destroying cabins and public rooms while it was moored in The Bahamas.
After being booked to travel on yesterday's (July 12) sailing, they were then 'bumped' again to a later sailing date. According to Royal Caribbean, unfinished repairs are to blame for shunting passengers to a later cruise to make space for workers to stay onboard and complete the repairs.
The twice-bumped passengers have received an "additional" but unspecified amount of compensation, on top of the full refund they had already received.
Harry Liu, a spokesman for Royal Caribbean, said: "Guests who were re-accommodated twice received a full refund and our customer service representatives worked with the guests individually to tailor additional compensation for their inconvenience.
"We are very sorry to have inconvenienced these guests a second time and we sincerely appreciate their understanding that we want to complete the final repairs as quickly as possible for all of Grandeur of the Seas' guests on all sailings.
"All the staterooms that we tried to re-accommodate are in a general location where workers' traffic most minimally affected guests currently on board."
Royal Caribbean has stated that passengers in 67 staterooms -- not 78 as previously reported -- were bumped from the July 12 sailing. Customers were offered a full refund and a 25 percent credit on a future cruise, according to Mr Liu.
Several areas of the ship were affected by the fire that broke out in the early morning hours of May 27, 2013. No serious injuries occurred in the blaze, but passengers were mustered and eventually flown back to the U.S. from Freeport, The Bahamas, where the ship went immediately into dry dock.
It has still not been announced what caused the fire on Grandeur of the Seas, but the Bahamas Maritime Authority is currently drafting a final report on the incident. The report is subject to follow-up review by parties listed as "substantially interested states" by the International Maritime Organization.
Grandeur of the Seas was on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, when the fire broke out.
Cruise Critic Managing Editor Colleen McDaniel is currently onboard the Grandeur for a one-night cruise for media and travel industry professionals.
She reports that while repair work is still ongoing and visible in some areas -- the "most obvious work," she says, is aft starboard on Deck Three, near rooms 3634-3659 -- the halls do not smell like smoke.
She's been told that in addition to the 67 staterooms that were vacated for the July 12 cruise, the Diamond Club Lounge and South Pacific Lounge will be also be closed.
Mr Liu meanwhile said that he expects "all work" on the ship to be completed by the July 19 cruise.
For more live updates on Colleen's trip, follow @CruiseCritic on Twitter.
--Adam Coulter, U.K. Production Editor
| Cruise News Headlines
More Royal Caribbean International News
Royal Caribbean International Reviews
Royal Caribbean International Deals