Subscribe today
Get Cruise Critic in your inbox
Cruise News
Home > Cruise News Archive > Trial or Not for Concordia Disaster? Judge Will Decide
Date Published: October 21, 2012
Costa Cruises Profile and Reviews
Latest Cruise News Headlines
Trial or Not for Concordia Disaster? Judge Will Decide
(5:30 p.m. EDT) -- With a pretrial hearing complete, it's up to an Italian judge to decide whether to move forward with a trial regarding the Costa Concordia disaster.

Expert witnesses and Concordia captain Francesco Schettino were among those who spoke last week at the hearing, which concluded October 19 in Grosseto, Italy. All spoke about the January 13 accident in which Concordia struck a rock in waters off the coast of the small Italian island of Giglio, causing the ship to sink and killing 32 people onboard.

Schettino has repeatedly said he accepts some -- but not all -- of the blame for the incident, while Costa Crociere, the company that operates the ship, has said all responsibility falls solely on the captain's shoulders.

Schettino is accused of causing a shipwreck, abandoning ship before all passengers debarked and 32 counts of manslaughter. Eight others, including crewmembers and Costa's crisis coordinator, also are under investigation. None have been charged.

A judge will weigh the evidence to decide whether there is enough to move forward with a trial. Prosecutors said they plan to conclude the investigation by the end of the year, according to Reuters.

--by Colleen McDaniel, Managing Editor



Cruise News Headlines
More Costa Cruises News
Costa Cruises Reviews

About UsAdvertisingEditorial DisclaimerPress
PrivacySite MapStoreSubscribe
X

Thank You For Signing Up!

Please Note: To ensure delivery of your free e-letters, please add news@cruisecritic.com to your address book.

We're committed to protecting your privacy and will not rent or sell your e-mail address. By proceeding, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.