Home > Cruise News Archive > Post-Robbery, Celebrity Cruises Shelves St. Kitts Excursion; Lines Cancel Port Calls
| Date Published: November 16, 2010 |
Latest Cruise News Headlines|
|Post-Robbery, Celebrity Cruises Shelves St. Kitts Excursion; Lines Cancel Port Calls|
Backstory: 17 Cruisers Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Kitts
(Updated 9:35 a.m. EST, November 16) -- Celebrity Cruises has acted swiftly following a robbery at gunpoint of 17 passengers on a ship-sponsored excursion in St. Kitts, canceling the tour in question indefinitely -- while two lines have gone a step further by canceling their next calls to the island.
Late Monday, Princess Cruises told Cruise Critic that "due to this incident, the Nov. 17 port call of Grand Princess has been canceled and replaced with St. John's, Antigua." Carnival Miracle, scheduled to stop in St. Kitts on Tuesday, followed suit later in the day, according to the St. Kitts-Nevis Observer newspaper. (It should be noted that in January, a Star Clipper passenger was murdered while ashore in Antigua and the line responded by canceling the rest of this season's calls.)
For its part, Celebrity is no longer offering its "Essential St. Kitts" shore excursion. The tour, which is sold in some form by every line that visits St. Kitts, provides an historical overview of the Southern Caribbean island, with one of the highlights being a stop at the 300-year-old Brimstone Hill Fortress. The 17 Celebrity Mercury passengers were on their way to the popular UNESCO site on Sunday morning when masked gunmen robbed them of their cell phones, jewelry and cash.
Somewhat confusingly, only Celebrity's "Essential St. Kitts" tour has been canceled. The line's "Caribbean Scenic Rail and Sail," which also incorporates a stop at the Brimstone Hill Fortress, is still available for purchase.
Cruise Critic has requested comment from NCL, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, British line P&O Cruises and luxury lines Windstar Cruises, Silversea and Seabourn, all of which will be calling in St. Kitts in the coming weeks. Those who responded said there were no changes to report in the wake of the incident, which left the 16 adults and one infant unharmed.
A statement issued by St. Kitts police on Sunday called the crime against tourists unprecedented. "Last year, over five hundred thousand cruise passengers safely disembarked in St. Kitts to enjoy the many attractions of our island," it read. "We deeply regret any type of incident that might tarnish our visitors' experience. As law enforcement authorities, we are committed to root out and expose the persons responsible." A spokesperson from the police department could not be reached for comment after several attempts by phone and e-mail.
Celebrity spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez told Cruise Critic that the authorities are responding by stepping up foot and mobile patrols in the island's most popular tourist areas, which include Black Rock, Brimestone Hill, Caribelle Batik and surroundings, Scenic Railway, Basseterre and the Frigate Bay beaches.
This latest Caribbean crime calls to mind the 18 Disney and Royal Caribbean passengers who were robbed last November in Nassau while on a ship-sponsored Segway tour. The lines reacted quickly, suspending sales of the tour indefinitely. At the time, NCL and Carnival also removed the tour from its rosters. A year later, Disney and Royal Caribbean still do not sell the excursion; Carnival and NCL offer Segway tours in Nassau, but the tours take place in the Nassau Botanical Gardens instead of original "Earth Village" location.
--by Dan Askin, Associate Editor
Discuss this story.
Backstory: 17 Celebrity Passengers Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Kitts
| Cruise News Headlines