Update, 9:30 a.m. EST: Celebrity's spokesperson Cynthia Martinez tells us that fire rescue services went onboard to check out the engine room, and found no traces of carbon monoxide at that point. They cleared the ship yesterday afternoon. The crew rejoined the ship yesterday, too.
(8:30 a.m. EST) -- It has been reported that a number of crew from Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Mercury have been treated for exposure to carbon monoxide.
An article in the Baltimore Sun reported that seven crew members were treated for sickness after the ship docked in Baltimore on Saturday. The paper also said that fire crews and a hazmat team attended the scene.
Baltimore's WBAL TV said that crew members were performing a welding operation in the ship's engine room and after the work was done, the crew reported respiratory problems and other medical issues. The Web site said the crew were walking and talking when they were taken to hospital.
Cruise Critic members who disembarked the ship on Saturday, said that although the vessel was delayed getting into port (due to winds and rough seas), they were unaware of the incident.
Member franma said: "We were on that cruise and knew nothing of that until I just read it here. As was said, it did get pretty rough Friday night, and the captain said because of that he had to slow down and we lost time."
Celebrity Mercury is now repositioning from Baltimore to depart on its first 11-night Eastern Caribbean cruise from Charleston on Monday.
--by Kelly Ranson, U.K. Editor
Fan Cruise Critic on Facebook!
Follow Cruise Critic on Twitter!
Your Ultimate Cruise Guide
- Find A Cruise
- Cruises to
- All Destinations
- Alaska Cruises
- Australia & New Zealand
- Bahamas Cruises
- Canada & New England
- Caribbean Cruises
- Caribbean - Eastern
- Caribbean - Southern
- Caribbean - Western
- Europe Cruises
- Europe - Baltic Sea
- Europe - British Isles & Western
- Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
- Europe - Western Mediterranean
- Mexican Riviera
- Panama Canal
- How to Cruise
Cruise Ship Crew Reportedly Treated for Carbon Monoxide Exposure
February 14, 2010