Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Edinburgh Edinburgh Castle Excursion Reviews

Edinburgh Edinburgh Castle cruise excursion
Overall Rating
The famous Edinburgh Castle is an essential visit for anyone with an interest in the remarkable history of Scotland.
Member Image kwebster58
Jul 2015
In Edinburgh, we did a Castle and City drive. This was on a most Popular and World Heritage Site, so I knew this would be enjoyable, and less expensive as well because of the trip only being 4.5 hours.
Read kwebster58's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image BTuttle
Jun 2015
We did the excursion to the castle and it was quite nice. Then we had lunch in the area and walked down to the Queen's residence. All very lovely.
Read BTuttle's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image Ref4e
Jun 2015
Just took a quick look at the outside and walked the Miracle Mile down to Holyrood Castle
Read Ref4e's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: RobHallBespokeTours@yahoo.co.uk
Member Image bobby3334
May 2015
It was Saturday and it was so crowded for the coaches and visiting the castle it was almost impossible to move. It looked like the entire 3,600 people on the ship had descended at once on the royal mile and castle. However, it was crowded by people of every country. We were the only ship in the city to my knowledge. A local said that the two previous Saturdays hardly anyone was there so I don't know where they came from. The guide was the worst possible. It seemed like she had never given a tour before and fortunately she said she was not allowed to guide in the castle. So without so much as a map or a pamphlet we set off on our own for two hours. With long lines I was able to see the crown jewels which compare very unfavorably to the crown jewels in London (sorry Scotland) and the oldest part - the chapel used by Mary Queen of Scots. Strangely this was the two hours that the sun came out and no rain. There were great views and I had a coffee and a piece of cake for $12 while I was viewing. The guide refused to talk about or answer questions about religion or politics (which everything is about in Scotland) but did tell us that John Knox was buried under a car park when I asked (he founded the Prebysterians) When I asked where Mary Queen of Scots (beheaded by Queen Elizabeth) was buried she refused to answer (it is in Westminister Abbey in London I found later) and said if I wanted to discuss religion or politics she would have to talk to me after the tour. Strange response from a tour guide...in a city where everyone is about religion and politics. She did not speak about much of anything which probably was a blessing. The castle and history are very interesting themselves but the tour guide contracted by the ship was the worst ever.
Read bobby3334's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image Jagracin
Apr 2015
16 of us thoroughly enjoyed the day. Our driver - Graham, was very accommodating and informative. I put together the group so we could see both the castle and Rosslyn Chapel. We had @ 4 hours for the castle and shopping (weather encouraged shopping and lunch activities) but due to the small group got to the castle early and ahead of the masses. can't recommend Timberbush enough - they were great.
Read Jagracin's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: Timberbush tours
Member Image girls5
Aug 2014

I bought the tickets for the Castle and Audio Guide before we left the U.S.A. The Castle was wonderful!! Probably allow about 2 hours.

Read girls5's full Ruby Princess cruise review
Provider: Tours with Locals
Member Image clearanceshopper
Aug 2013

Large, very old castle perched high on a hill. Also included city tour.

Read clearanceshopper's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image elaan
Jul 2013

The city tour was interesting, but the portion at Edinburgh Castle was completely rushed with little time to explore. I'd suggest going on your own to the castle.

Read elaan's full Azamara Quest cruise review
Provider: Azamara Club Cruises
Member Image Naomi2
Aug 2012
Not only is this a fascinating castle, but it has museums in it detailing Scottish military history, the royal jewels, etc. We heard the cannon go off at 1 PM and were taken around by a guide who explained it all to us (free). A good time was had by all.
Read Naomi2's full Prinsendam cruise review