Edinburgh City Tour Excursion Reviews

Edinburgh City Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Gain a unique perspective of Scotland's capital on a fun-filled city tour. Your breath will be taken away as you unfold the incredibly rich and abundant culture of majestic Edinburgh.
Member Image girls5
1 review
Aug 2014

Edinburgh: Tender port and we waited an hour to get a tender back to the ship and it was 1 1/2 hours before the final tender departed from shore!!! Long, long wait. Also that is because the tide is in and they can't dock but 1 or 2 tenders at that time of day. We had a tour with Tours by Locals, the gentleman is retiring. He picked us up at port. I think I would take the transportation into Edinburgh and do the Castle with the audio tour and then walk the Royal Mile and perhaps see Holyroodhouse. You can do all this on your own. Go to the Scotch Whisky place by the Castle and do tastings. Our guide also took us to Rosslyn Chapel which was interesting. The ship docked at South Queensferry and there were a few shops there.

Read girls5's full Ruby Princess cruise review
Provider: Tours with Locals
Member Image 2410redman
Aug 2013

Typical bus tour of a city. It would be ideal to get the first glance from the bus and then come back to see certain attractions in depth, but there is not usually enough time to do that.

Read 2410redman's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image gunn3rs3
Aug 2013

Good trip, knowledge of guide was good.

Read gunn3rs3's full Thomson Spirit cruise review
Provider: Thomson Cruises
Member Image Rosethorn40
Aug 2013

We were going to the Tattoo that evening (Through the ship), but wanted to explore the city on our own during the day. We took the shuttle from the pier to the train station (16 pp roundtrip), and from there bought round trip tickets to Edinburgh. I have no idea how much they cost. I gave up trying to convert US dollars into pounds and euro at this point. I know we were traveling off peak, which makes a huge difference in price. Anyway when the train arrived it was packed, so we rode the entire way standing up, but it was only about 20 minutes as we had gotten on an express train. Once we arrived we made our way to the hop on/off tour buses, which were across the street from main entrence of the train station. The price was 16 pounds pp. This time, since we were at stop one, we rode the entire circuit to hear the tour, and then rode again, this time getting off where we wanted. Our first stop was to see the statue of Greyfriers Bobby, then we stopped in at Greyfriers Bobby Pub and tried haggis. So what did I think of haggis? It was okay. If I was at a dinner party and it was served I would eat it, but if at a restaurant and there were other choices I would probably go with something else. We then popped into the National Museum, which is free, to see the exhibit of Mary, Queen of Scots, which is not free (9 pounds pp). After that we got back on the bus and went down the Royal Mile to Hollyrood Palace. To just see the palace is 11 pounds, to see the palace and The Queen’s Gallery was 15.5 pounds. Time was running short (We had a train to catch) so we opted for the palace only. It’s beautiful. I especially like Mary, Queen of Scots bedroom. Then it was back to the train station, where a very helpful attendant got us on the right train back. Soon we were back on the ship, having time for a quick bite before it was off to the Tattoo.

Read Rosethorn40's full Ocean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image Naomi2
Aug 2012
We took the Hop on Hop on bus which was the best of the bunch as we had a hilarious guide who kept us all interested and laughing at the funny bits of Edinburgh history.
Read Naomi2's full Prinsendam cruise review