Costa Maya Snorkeling Excursion Reviews

Costa Maya Snorkeling cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Dive deep into Costa Maya's deep blue waters, a perfect excursion for both beginners and experts. You'll see beautiful coral formations and check out tropical fish.
Member Image florida cruzer
Feb 2017
We did the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel in Costa Maya, which was fabulous. Do not expect a fancy catamaran here. It is not a real big one; there is no downstairs, but it does the trick. There is ample shade and the guys are great. The sail to the reef took about 45 minutes, but it was a very pleasant ride as we had perfect weather. When at the reef, we went with the guide Luis, as they had broken us into two groups: one for novices and one for experienced snorkelers. Luis took us for an hour snorkel around the reef and it was awesome. He was terrific, showing us various sea critters and giving us fair warning when we had to navigate through some more shallow areas. After the snorkeling, it was free beer (no rum punch) and a quicker sail back to an area where we picked up a taxi. I would definitely do it again; the guys were very friendly and helpful and the snorkeling experience - although there is definitely a lot of dead coral there - was wonderful.
Read florida cruzer's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image rbazor
Feb 2017
I highly recommend Herbert, check out his website. He does all kinds of tours at great prices. We did the snorkel hopping,and it was the best snorkeling we have ever done. Better than the Bahamas or Hawaii.
Read rbazor's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Provider: Roatan Ocean Adventures
Member Image bb656
Dec 2016
really liked the beach club and the Mahahaul area. Snorkeling was just okay.
Read bb656's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image Bucket Listers
Dec 2016
Catamaran Cruise and Snorkel - Well organized, a group of about 30 pax.  The embarkation is a short 15 min bus ride from the ship.  We had a very windy day with high sea state, so it was a rough but safe transfer to the reef, and the visibility was reduced due to wave action.  About 45 mins in the water, all safely supervised, with good equipment (you get our own snorkel to use and keep), followed by some cervesas for the sail back to the port.
Read Bucket Listers's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image antiqfreq
Nov 2016
Lovely reef
Read antiqfreq's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image MADDS
Nov 2016
The tour operators were very good and did a great job looking and assisting everyone.
Read MADDS's full Seven Seas Mariner cruise review
Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Member Image Landsharks
Oct 2016
Lots of fish and under water activity close to the beach
Read Landsharks's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Mom of 6
Sep 2016
We hated it. Hour long bus ride there and back, only 45 minutes snorkel "tour" that we could have given ourselves in an area that had a hazardous chain link fence, and cement pillars that the waves pushed me into. I sustained cuts and bruises. After the 45 minutes were up we had to turn in our equipment or pay $10 more apiece. The open bar was poor. The bar tender gave my 12 year old an alcoholic drink when he asked for lemonade. My 15 year old son's shoes were stolen, I think by the snorkel guide, and the management was not helpful or sympathetic. The bus ride home with a bunch of drunks was unpleasant and unsafe. The bus driver did not insist on a drunk lewd dancer sitting down when she was up in his face while driving, endangering the whole bus. It was our worst day, and I regretted my teen boys experiencing it.
Read Mom of 6's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image suzierocks
Sep 2016
Power snorkeled. Fun once we got the hang of it.
Read suzierocks's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image momat40
Aug 2016
My kids and I went snorkeling and my parents relaxed at same Jungle Beach
Read momat40's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Tiffany1129
Jun 2016
Staff and trip were great. The water at this location is a little rougher than we expected so had to make good effort to swim and deal with the waves. Had we to do it again, would probably snorkel in Cayman or Cozumel.
Read Tiffany1129's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ctroutte
Jun 2016
Had a good time. Not many fish at this stop. Port was very nice.
Read ctroutte's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image jpezz333@aol.com
Jun 2016
Booked with RC because this port has a tendency to get rough seas and is often missed by the ship because they can't dock. We did a catamaran snorkel tour. It was a pleasant surprise. We thoroughly enjoyed it. When you visit Costa Maya, you must get out of the port village and go visit the nearby village of Mahahual. It is very cool and the beach is great.
Read jpezz333@aol.com's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image berdeau
May 2016
Free snorkeling at the beach (brought my own gear)
Read berdeau's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Provider: Krazy Lobster
Member Image lohengrin2000
May 2016
The village near Costa Maya has beautiful, uncrowded beaches and a lot to do.
Read lohengrin2000's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Nataliemyers
Apr 2016
We did power snorkel. Worth every penny! Lots to see and great day at the beach.
Read Nataliemyers's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image Bookwizerd
Mar 2016
The guys took this excursion and claimed to have a great time. It was wavy but they were in the water and didn't have any issues. Saw fish, shells and even money. Lol
Read Bookwizerd's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image shakerattlenroll
Nov 2015
Did not like this one so much. The beach destination was changed due to a lot of seaweed on the beach. Supposed to have wifi, but it was iffy. Snorkeling was off a dock and you couldn't see anything. Open bar and pay for food. Water too choppy. Didn't stay the 5 hours, came back to port. Waste of money.
Read shakerattlenroll's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image AZGANG
Mar 2015
My daughter tried to take a snorkeling tour, but the weather was very bad and they cancelled all the water activities. My only problem with it was she got up at 6:30 AM for nothing and had to walk a quarter mile down the pier only to be told it was cancelled. I think that decision should have been made before she left the ship. It was clearly very rough.
Read AZGANG's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image rosa@rose
Feb 2015

They took us to an 'amusement park' type of beach. The beach was so-so, the snorkeling so-so. They took us to a site a 'future' coral reefs. They were some marine life, but mainly cars, helicopter and debris from an old pier. My husband cut himself badly on the leg on the debris.

However, our guides were pleasant and very helpful. The beach lounge chairs were clean and some under nice shaded area.

Read rosa@rose's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image SWuycheck
Jan 2015

I had a great time. My partner isn't as strong a swimmer and he found it a little too much. The seas were a little rough. I would not do the snorting again. Would probably get a taxi to one of the beaches past the light house and enjoy the beautiful beaches and cheap food/drinks!

Read SWuycheck's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image jesterjax
Not Rated
Dec 2014

Snorkeling on the Mayan Wind. 10 min. ride to catamaran. Scenic 45 min cruise out and back. The Great Maya Reef was the best snorkeling every. 45 minuets snorkeling, great living coral heads, tubes, fans and tons of beautiful fish. Friendly staff and open bar after swim. Noticed that a ships officer inspected the boat before leaving, verifying radios, safety equipment,etc.. Well worth the cost and would do this again in a heartbeat. Bring an underwater camera as there is much to see and film.

Read jesterjax's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image CruisrIm
Nov 2014

Nice and safe not a lot to see but still decent for right off the beach and free

Read CruisrIm's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image metooo
Apr 2014

area was ok water was not the best for snorkling. shopping good.

Read metooo's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image lpavlak
Feb 2014

Probably would not go snorkeling in this area again. Very few fish and really no color on any of the reefs.

Read lpavlak's full Norwegian Epic cruise review