Costa Maya Snorkeling Excursion Reviews

Costa Maya Snorkeling cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Dive deep into Costa Maya's deep blue waters, a perfect excursion for both beginners and experts. You'll see beautiful coral formations and check out tropical fish.
Member Image Landsharks
Oct 2016
Lots of fish and under water activity close to the beach
Read Landsharks's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Mom of 6
Sep 2016
We hated it. Hour long bus ride there and back, only 45 minutes snorkel "tour" that we could have given ourselves in an area that had a hazardous chain link fence, and cement pillars that the waves pushed me into. I sustained cuts and bruises. After the 45 minutes were up we had to turn in our equipment or pay $10 more apiece. The open bar was poor. The bar tender gave my 12 year old an alcoholic drink when he asked for lemonade. My 15 year old son's shoes were stolen, I think by the snorkel guide, and the management was not helpful or sympathetic. The bus ride home with a bunch of drunks was unpleasant and unsafe. The bus driver did not insist on a drunk lewd dancer sitting down when she was up in his face while driving, endangering the whole bus. It was our worst day, and I regretted my teen boys experiencing it.
Read Mom of 6's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image suzierocks
Sep 2016
Power snorkeled. Fun once we got the hang of it.
Read suzierocks's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Tiffany1129
Jun 2016
Staff and trip were great. The water at this location is a little rougher than we expected so had to make good effort to swim and deal with the waves. Had we to do it again, would probably snorkel in Cayman or Cozumel.
Read Tiffany1129's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ctroutte
Jun 2016
Had a good time. Not many fish at this stop. Port was very nice.
Read ctroutte's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image jpezz333@aol.com
Jun 2016
Booked with RC because this port has a tendency to get rough seas and is often missed by the ship because they can't dock. We did a catamaran snorkel tour. It was a pleasant surprise. We thoroughly enjoyed it. When you visit Costa Maya, you must get out of the port village and go visit the nearby village of Mahahual. It is very cool and the beach is great.
Read jpezz333@aol.com's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image berdeau
May 2016
Free snorkeling at the beach (brought my own gear)
Read berdeau's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Provider: Krazy Lobster
Member Image lohengrin2000
May 2016
The village near Costa Maya has beautiful, uncrowded beaches and a lot to do.
Read lohengrin2000's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Nataliemyers
Apr 2016
We did power snorkel. Worth every penny! Lots to see and great day at the beach.
Read Nataliemyers's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image Bookwizerd
Mar 2016
The guys took this excursion and claimed to have a great time. It was wavy but they were in the water and didn't have any issues. Saw fish, shells and even money. Lol
Read Bookwizerd's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image shakerattlenroll
Nov 2015
Did not like this one so much. The beach destination was changed due to a lot of seaweed on the beach. Supposed to have wifi, but it was iffy. Snorkeling was off a dock and you couldn't see anything. Open bar and pay for food. Water too choppy. Didn't stay the 5 hours, came back to port. Waste of money.
Read shakerattlenroll's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image AZGANG
Mar 2015
My daughter tried to take a snorkeling tour, but the weather was very bad and they cancelled all the water activities. My only problem with it was she got up at 6:30 AM for nothing and had to walk a quarter mile down the pier only to be told it was cancelled. I think that decision should have been made before she left the ship. It was clearly very rough.
Read AZGANG's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image rosa@rose
Feb 2015

They took us to an 'amusement park' type of beach. The beach was so-so, the snorkeling so-so. They took us to a site a 'future' coral reefs. They were some marine life, but mainly cars, helicopter and debris from an old pier. My husband cut himself badly on the leg on the debris.

However, our guides were pleasant and very helpful. The beach lounge chairs were clean and some under nice shaded area.

Read rosa@rose's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image SWuycheck
Jan 2015

I had a great time. My partner isn't as strong a swimmer and he found it a little too much. The seas were a little rough. I would not do the snorting again. Would probably get a taxi to one of the beaches past the light house and enjoy the beautiful beaches and cheap food/drinks!

Read SWuycheck's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Member Image jesterjax
Dec 2014

Snorkeling on the Mayan Wind. 10 min. ride to catamaran. Scenic 45 min cruise out and back. The Great Maya Reef was the best snorkeling every. 45 minuets snorkeling, great living coral heads, tubes, fans and tons of beautiful fish. Friendly staff and open bar after swim. Noticed that a ships officer inspected the boat before leaving, verifying radios, safety equipment,etc.. Well worth the cost and would do this again in a heartbeat. Bring an underwater camera as there is much to see and film.

Read jesterjax's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image CruisrIm
Nov 2014

Nice and safe not a lot to see but still decent for right off the beach and free

Read CruisrIm's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image metooo
Apr 2014

area was ok water was not the best for snorkling. shopping good.

Read metooo's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image lpavlak
Feb 2014

Probably would not go snorkeling in this area again. Very few fish and really no color on any of the reefs.

Read lpavlak's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image det810
Dec 2013

We didn't know this going in, but Costa Maya is basically a port designed by cruise companies. There isn't much to see beyond the port. We chose a power snorkel excursion and it was the worst excursion we've ever been on. After riding for an hour on a bus, we arrived at a beach that used to be a dolphin sanctuary before it was ruined by a hurricane. We were briefed on the power snorkeling equipment and then were told to follow the guide through the water. Twenty minutes later, we were out of the water and all we saw under there were concrete slabs and wood poles. Not my idea of a good time.

When we returned from snorkeling, we made the mistake of having lunch at Senor Frogs. The prices are 3x the amount of a normal restaurant and we ended up paying $90 for a two-person lunch! This didn't even include alcohol. Do yourself a favor and just eat lunch on the boat.

Read det810's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image jandb6266
Oct 2013

I did not snorkel but my kids did and loved it

Read jandb6266's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image grandmaR
Jun 2013

My problem was getting to the tour which involved walking down a long pier in the heat and across the shopping area to a parking lot. I thought if my granddaughter could push the wheelchair to where there was a free shuttle that I could probably walk from the end of the shuttle to the bus. But the shuttle had just left when we got there so the man who was in charge of leading the tour just pushed the wheelchair himself to the shopping area and then took it back. The bus took us to the dock for the glass bottomed boat and snorkel tour. I had a hard time walking down the dock and had to stop several times and rest, but I got there eventually. First we went over the reef in the glass bottomed boat. Then they showed us how to put on and use the snorkels. My granddaughter did really well for her first time. I was having a problem staying with the group because there was some current. I saw two squid swimming along the sea floor. Eventually I just hung on to the boogie board with my granddaughter and let Diego the guide tow us. They brought the vans for the ride back to the port out on the pier so I didn't have to walk far to get on. Then when we got back to the port, Diego got the EMTs to put me in a wheelchair and take me all the way back to the ship. My granddaughter was thrilled that she didn't have to push. They also brought us in the far gangway and we were the only ones coming in there. Then the gangway people gave us the wheelchair and pushed me back to the room. This was a very successful excursion.

Read grandmaR's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image NGAMTNS2CSEA
Mar 2013
wonderful, interested crew took us to a beautiful reef. advanced snorkelers get in first so more water time and into deeper water. some current but easy trip.
Read NGAMTNS2CSEA's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image getupgo
Feb 2013
WE went to town and found the vendor on the beach with skiffs. It was a 10 minute boat ride out to the reef and an hour in the water. The reef was pretty but not many fish. $15 each.
Read getupgo's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Provider: Banana Tours
Member Image HACKT
Dec 2012
Costa Maya: Sunny weather but windy. Seas were rough which made it hard on water excursions. We took a ship excursion to drive small boats and go snorkeling. Had a 30 min bus ride to beach. Boats were fun but bumpy, snorkeling took some work due to current. Costa Maya would have been more fun on a calmer day. The excursion included a beach break with free drinks so that helped.
Read HACKT's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image hyker1
Nov 2012
I really liked Costa Maya. There's really not much there, but I found it to be a friendly place with very beautiful water and a lovely beach club. We went on a power-boat/snorkel combo. They bused us to a very nice, new Beach Club where we were immediately fitted with equipment. You get to keep your snorkel, which makes for a fun souvenir. They also had an "open bar" policy, meaning unlimited drinks... whatever you wanted. Food was extra, and the nachos were only mid-grade. Not worth the $8 we were charged. I won't mention how many Pina Coladas I had, but let's just say I got my money's worth and didn't need any on board the ship! The power-boat ride was really fun! It's a fifteen to twenty minute jaunt to the little floating dock they snorkle from and they cowboy in a zig-zag pattern so everyone gets a fun ride. My husband loved it, and I laughed the whole way. Totally awesome! Once at the floating dock, we brought the boats up and started the snorkel. Not the best snorkel I've ever done as far as seeing sea life, but there were some really lovely conchs and sand-dollars. I highly recommend this shore excursion. Someone else on cruise critic mentioned that bugs were bad on this trip. Be sure to take bug dope for the beach. There are some awful flies there. My bites itched for a week and I had huge welts. They also sell some nice crafts and jewelry at the Beach Club. Mexico's a great place to buy silver. I purchased a lovely pendant and chain for a very reasonable price. You can bargain with them... it's expected.
Read hyker1's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review