Athens (Piraeus) The Plaka Walking Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Athens (Piraeus) Shore Excursions > The Plaka Walking Tour

Known as the "Neighborhood of the Gods," Plaka is the oldest in all of Athens. In addition to its substantial history, expect to find a wide variety of museums in the area.

bhturtle

1 review

Lots of fun. I wish we had had lots more time.

bjrose

Not to our liking. The tour guide didn't interest us at all. The climbing at the Acropolis with all the construction going on was a nightmare. It seemed very disorganized and hard to hear the lady. The city was in turmoil with strikers shutting down the streets. We didn't feel welcome there at all. The Plaka is not like it used to be. Overpriced items and shopkeepers not as friendly as I had remembered from the 90's. We ate in a Taverna recommended by the guide, and I personally got food poisoning. I returned to the ship with great pain and new what it was from the moment I ate the late lunch. I had to rest that whole evening in bed to recover.

Provider: Princess Cruises

Mrs.JSparrow

1 review

Bus took us to bottom of acroplis but the tour guide spent so much time talking no one had time to walk around, then bus took us to Plaka, again after walking thru santorini and mykonos the shopping was the same with narrow streets filled with shops and restaurants. I would recommend take the Acroplis tour instead.

loveandcruises

Would have rather toured the Acropolis.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

JLU917

1 review

Plaka was included as part of our all-day excursion. Coming at the end of the day, after we had climbed up to the Acropolis, it was nice to take our time and walk around, find an Internet cafe, have a cup of Greek coffee, and do some shopping.

HickoryShampoo

1 review

After seeing what we'd seen of Athens, no one wanted to get off the bus! Just take us back to the ship.

vs8864

Intersting shops and restaurants. Nice area of Athens.

Katie Starlight

1 review

The Acropolis is Fabulous. It winds up the hill so it is gradual. My mom is in her late 70's and did it just fine. We got to stop at the Olympic Stadium also and took some funny picture there of us being goofy and pretending to throw discus. The Plaka shopping district is filled with little shops and we also enjoyed a lunch nearby. The guide recommended the lunch and it was quite good. We then wandered the Plakka on our own. I thought that our guide walked a little too fast while we were in the city and some people had a problem keeping up. Be sure to read the description for activity level.

kct76

1 review

The Akropolis is out of control busy, but that isn't the cruise lines fault, and it is STILL worth seeing. Athens is so big and busy that it is worth taking an excursion. I would get worried about getting lost otherwise.

Provider: Princess Cruises

jsgoodrich

1 review

We really just walked to Plaka and our guide told us when to meet the bus

2PATBOUNCE

1 review

He drove around the city, pointing things out, then dropped us off at the Plaka for independent shopping and lunch while he took a group to the Acropolis. The bus was clean and pleasant, the tour guide quite knowledgeable.

World Gallery

We booked with Context Travel. We did the Acropolis, New Acropolis Museum and Plaka. These places we visted were excellent but our guide was average. Would not use a Context Travel guide again for Athens but would highly recommend these places. It was just the right amount of places to try and cover with one day in Athens. We prefered this instead of running all over Athens trying to see everything.

CruiseNovice10

1 review

Booked a private taxi tour. Got to see exactly what we wanted and escape the heat to an a/c van. Driver was funny and knowledgeable. Acropolis was wonderful. Plaka interesting. Convenient and cost effective for 5.

LaughCali

1 review

We walked, ate and shopped at Plaka

Provider: MSC Cruises

explore4ever

Great place for souvenirs.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Rio Brewster

1 review

Not much of a tour, but it was nice to just kick back and experience Athens.

Provider: Costa Cruises