Amsterdam City Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Amsterdam Shore Excursions > City Tour

A city tour is the perfect way to explore Amsterdam. From its famous canals to beautiful architecture and renowned museums, there is much to see in this storied city.

caripito

1 review

Lots of fun, good guide. Hard for me to keep up. Wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

Provider: AmaWaterways

baitang@gmail.com

1 review

This tour is a must for those who have never before visited Amsterdam. Although I have been to the city several times in the past, I still appreciated the points made by the tour guide about the history and development of the city, why certain forms of architecture prevail, the commercial value of the city's canals, and the individual touches that owners gave their houses. The tour essentially is a history of Amsterdam and the Dutch state, as well as its evolution from a Catholic to a Protestant country.

rrgator

1 review

The last stop on the cruise was Amsterdam, where we had booked a 2-day extension. In hindsight, we should have planned a pre-cruise extension and left immediately after the cruise to fly home. I woke up on Saturday in Amsterdam with one of the worst hangovers I have had in a long time, on top of a lack of sleep catching up with me. Needless to say, we had a great time at the Captain's dinner and the last night in the bar the previous night. We were taken to our hotel, the Radisson Blu, and while waiting for our rooms, we were taken on a two hour walking tour. The tour was great and the guide was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, especially after the tour during the rest of the day and the next day. However, nursing a hangover and needing some sleep, a walking tour was not the best way to recover, especially as the weather had turned cold. We made it through the tour and back to the hotel, where we got into our room around 2:30 pm, and were able to get some much needed rest, before tackling the crazy city of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is nice, but honestly, don't think we will be going back, other than using the airport. Amsterdam is noted for the red-light district and the availability of marijuana. And yes, there is a lot of both. However, once you've seen the red light district, you don't need to see it again. And even though marijuana is not legal in Amsterdam, a huge misconception, it is, in the words or our tour guide, "tolerated". Also, after the cruise is over, being as tired as we were, it would have been better to have gone straight to the airport, got on the plane, and slept on the way home. Oh well, you live and learn. Even though a pre-cruise extension would have worked for us, a post-cruise extension may work better for others. Some people may also want to extend the cruise at both ends; nothing wrong with that approach either. We did get to tour the Heineken factory. It was great and we picked up some presents for my son and son-in-laws there. We also did one of the get on/get off buses, which gave us a chance to see all of Amsterdam, from a distance. Also, the Radisson Blu is a very nice hotel, very well located. Our room was great. Good choice by Viking.

The airport in Amsterdam is great. Very organized and easy to get around in. Line to check in Monday morning (12/30) was extremely long, but it moved fast as they had plenty of people working the counter. I think we only stood in line for 30-45 minutes. As we kept getting closer to our gate, I kept waiting for the security lines, but they never appeared. It turns out that the security checkpoint is at the individual gate. Once we got to the gate we went to a little stand where we showed our passports and tickets and were asked the usual questions, did you pack your own luggage, has it been in your possession the whole time, etc. We then went through the scanners. Pretty easy for the most part. My wife got a pretty thorough hand search, but that seems to happen to her every time she flies. Also, the other thing that I liked about flying into Europe was once we got through customs in Frankfurt, we were done until we left Amsterdam. Because of the European Union, they have removed border checks for passports, so once you get into a country you can to everywhere else without having to be checked. Made for traveling through 4 different countries very easy.

As I said, we really enjoyed the cruise. It was pretty much what I expected based on the research I had done before we left. Let me take the opportunity, before I forget, to thank everyone who participates on these boards, allowing folks like me and my wife, to do a lot of research before any of our trips. There are a lot of issues with the internet, but the Cruise Critic website and the message boards are part of what is great about the it.

ScubagirlVA

1 review

We had an excellent walking tour of the City

lanzie99

Walking tour was nice, got to see the homes, churches and flower market area. Be aware of the "killer bikes". Lots and lots of city traffic.

Jdrumsdad

1 review

A little too long. It lasted almost 3 hours without a break. Close to 10K walk was too long though informative. Several of the group kept asking about restrooms and we were told that it would come up soon, but never happened until end of the tour.

jflk01

1 review

The city bus tour was extensive and the guide was very knowledgeable and helpful with any questions we had about the city

Provider: AmaWaterways

tannerm

1 review

Nice walking tour of city with English speaking guide, learned interesting information and saw key sites.

travela lot

1 review

Got our bearings for Amsterdam on our won.

stella767

1 review

short excursion that included a boat trip, very interesting, the guide's excursion extremely knowledgeable, drop off at the airport. Good value for $75

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

ronbetty2001

1 review

Rebecca De Rooy gave our tour of Amsterdam and did a wonderful job. We toured the city by Canal Cruise, then did a driving/walking tour. She provided a lot of information and was very warm and engaging. We did not stop at Anne Frank's house as the lines were long and she said the tour was of just the small attic were she hid and wasn't worth the long wait to get in. We did a tour of the Rembrandt's house which was nice. The city is very clean and very pretty. The Red Light District we did the first night on our own was really cool and fun, we also felt pretty safe for a seedy area.

Provider: Independent Operator

Csbjim

1 review

Great way to acclimate one to the city.

jimlaneart

Amsterdam--My wife went to Keukenhof and shot a boatload of tulip pictures that will knock your eyes out. See them on YouTube at: http://youtu.be/lsmGz3glfpg I chose to visit a Dutch village recreation, a cheese factory, and the van Gogh Museum. No video at the van Gogh, the the rest of the day can be seen on YouTube at: http://youtu.be/XqcfYeAcY_o

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

EuroTravelogue

1 review

Canal-boat cruise through Amsterdam followed by tours through Jewish Quarter. Enriching!

56schiff

The city tour is the best for the 1st time visitor to Amsterdam, it covers a good part of the city by bus and boat on the canals through the city. Recommended also the Anne Frank House, Diamond Factory and Rembrandt House - depending how much time you have. Once you have done the guided city tour you can easily walk from the ship to the heart of Amsterdam.

pubadviser

1 review

Especially enjoyed the canal boat ride

pubadviser

1 review

Evening walking tour with a very knowledgeable guide

Provider: Independent Operator