Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

St. Thomas Underwater Scooter Excursion Reviews

St. Thomas Underwater Scooter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
View the splendors of the sea -- no diving experience necessary -- on a underwater scooter excursion as you enjoy the stunning colorful sigh and tropical reefs of St. Thomas.
Member Image Cuizer2
Apr 2015
The ride on the BOSS unit lasts about 45 minutes at depth of about ten feet (three meters). It is like riding a very slow moving motorcycle (it only moves at about two miles per hour) with the helmet at a fixed height. It drives like a car (you turn a wheel) not like a motorcycle (where you push the right handle bar away from you to make a left turn). You have to keep your right thumb on the power button to move and to turn. It has two speeds, slow and stop. It is powered by a battery in the lower housing and of course there is air coming into the helmet so you don’t have to hold your breath the entire 45 minutes. The unit is designed to sink. However, there is a button (which we are not supposed to touch) which adds air to a swim bladder and the unit rises (just like a submarine). You have to hold your breath a few seconds to get into the unit, then they let it sink. It can’t sink more than ten feet because it is attached by a rope to a flotation buoy. Once it reaches the end of its rope that is it. There are about two BOSS units per safety diver. The safety diver will take your underwater camera and take pictures of you. They also sell under water cameras on the ship. However, they are limited to 27 photographs. I took over 150 pictures underwater, so you’ll have to decide if it is worth getting your own underwater camera or purchasing a single use underwater camera. Full review for photographs
Read Cuizer2's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image WEGL81
Apr 2015
Overall the excursion was enjoyable but moreso for the snorkeling than the 15 minutes spent in the underwater scooter. DW had an issue with fogging in her scooter and spent most of the time splashing water on the inside so that she could see. It was good to do this once but would not do again due to the high expense and short time actually spent on the scooter.
Read WEGL81's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image NancyOu
Mar 2015
I've written a review on TripAdvisor for BOSS, and will say something similar here. Not being a good swimmer, and a bit afraid of the water, I found this tour to be an interesting adventure. It will not seem like one to my sons who are avid divers, but for me it was all new and the crew of BOSS really made me feel safe. However since it was a first time for me and since I was not completely relaxed, I think I missed seeing everything I could have seen. Maybe a few more minutes underwater might have been good. I will try it again and be more relaxed next time.
Read NancyOu's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image jjaly
Mar 2015

I would have given this excursion a 5 but I was on a scooter that was in very slow motion. So slow that the divers had to push me and another young girl along to keep up. It was really a neat thing to do and we got to see a bit of a ship wreckage and alot of fish. I really enjoyed doing that. After we finished with the scooter we had about an hour to snorkel. I love snorkeling. I saw quite a few fish and a decent size sea turtle. I thought it was well worth the money to do this excursion. The captain was a very funny guy and had a great sense of humor. The other divers were very helpful and friendly.

The excursion was not until 12:30, so we had time to go and do some shopping in St. Thomas. I enjoyed the shopping there. Lots of tents and stores. I found that if you are not looking to buy jewelry, it's best to stay away from that area. They are soooo pushy trying to get you into a store for a free charm.

Read jjaly's full Norwegian Gem cruise review
Member Image NWTraveler58
Feb 2015

I gave 5 star for the professionalism. Due to weather condition, our boat was turned around on the way to the dive site. The crew were very professional and easy going. Even though my cousin and I were really looking forward to do the BOSS experience, we were glad the crew took safety seriously. We went to the Maegan's Beach instead and it was gorgeous, although frequent strong wind was not exactly what I anticipated. The shops in the downtown shopping area are mostly identical to St. Maarten. We were not interested in jewelry nor electronics but if you are interested there seems to be good deals as both ports are duty free. One thing I did buy was a box of Belgian chocolate (16 pieces for $26) which I am sure would be very yummy if it was not forgotten in the stateroom refrigerator! If you love chocolate, St. Thomas seems to have better selections. The staff at the chocolate factory was nice. We had lunch at Go-Go Pasta in one of the alleys and the food was good and very reasonable. I would recommend their pesto penne.

Read NWTraveler58's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image pollyyyz
Dec 2014

This tour was amazing. The captain and the crew are amazing and your safety comes first. I am not a strong swimmer and they made me feel comfortable and made it super easy for me. They brought the unit right next to the ship in order for me to get on and off and they even encouraged me to try snorkelling which I loved. This crew is professional and genuinely want everyone to be safe and have a good experience.

Read pollyyyz's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image argunnoe
Dec 2014

The crew was rude, the constant smoking was disgusting with no place to get away from it. The "BOSS" underwater scooter type excursion was about 15-20 minutes long - saw nothing, was corralled and led around with pictures taken and then back to the surface. More snorkeling than anything but in an area where nothing was seen but a few fish. Cookies and water were the SNACKs that were available. Needless to say most were starving by the time we got off the boat. My husband and I had packed sandwiches from the breakfast bar and so we had food. Would never recommend nor go again. Waste of money, boring, saw nothing - crew was too rude for the entire lengthy trip.

Read argunnoe's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image GoBlue45
Apr 2014

This excursion was definitely out of our comfort zone but boy did we enjoy it! The boat crew was very funny and the scooter or underwater (BOSS) was cool and easy to maneuver. Your head is in a bubble like helmet and in air (as opposed to in water) and they pipe in air to the helmet. We saw a ship wreck and a lot of colorful fish. Fun time!! We then

Read GoBlue45's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image kmw.smith
Jan 2014

The other excursion we did was to take a BOSS underwater scooter on St Thomas's! Safety was the big thing and the organisers were great at giving instruction on the dos and don'ts. The divers followed every inch of the way and the whole experience as great. We were in the first group and that meant that we had time to get in some snorkelling - something else I'd never done but always wanted to! All in all an excellent experience!

Read kmw.smith's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Jillakins
Jun 2013

Underwater Boss was enjoyed by all that went on this. They were allowed 25 minutes on the scoters and then snorkeling.

Read Jillakins's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Nipigongirl
Dec 2012
This was the St. Thomas excursion BOSS Underwater Adventure (STB8). This for me was like someone who is afraid of flying trying to get over their fear by taking a flight. I hate fish. Hate them around me, near me, touching me. So, to please my 13 year old daughter we booked this Underwater Scooter excursion. This was one of the best excursions that we went on. The crew meet us right on the pier and we had a bit of a walk to get to the excursion boat. The crew on the boat were friendly, entertaining, and funny. The number of people on this excursion was about 20 people and there were people from other ships. It was a short boat ride to the location where we were going to snorkel and ride the scooters. We were split into two groups. One group did the scooter ride and the others went snorkeling until it was their turn to ride the scooter. I quickly got over my fear of the fish when I mentioned this to one of the crew and he said there was nothing that would hurt me. So, I went in the water and the crew member threw fish feed in the water and I was swarmed with fish. Terrified at first, but then laughed so hard realizing that there wasn't anything to fear. I don't think this excursion is for someone who has experience diving or snorkeling as I didn't see too much while we snorkeled (except for the fish that were there because of the food they were throwing from the boat). The scooter ride was fun but I didn't see much while down there because I was afraid of running into someone. But it was still fun and we ended up with some great pictures. The scooters are down about 8 feet and I had an underwater camera with me but decided to buy a disposable one for $20 that they had for sale on the boat. At first they stated we would be going down 20 feet and I knew that my camera was probably only good for 10 feet. Then after we were done I realized they probably over stated the depth in hopes of selling the overpriced disposable under water cameras. Got me hook, line, and sinker. But that was o.k. because it was all worth it. I would definitely do this excursion again but next time I will use my own camera (the crew take your pictures while you are on the scooters).
Read Nipigongirl's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image wkasmarzyk
Apr 2012
St. Thomas-GORGEOUS......our excursion was the BOSS tour, the underwater scooter. This was super fun to do and we are so glad we did it-but once is enough. You are underwater for about 30 min, which by then the novelty has worn off. We did some snorkeling while we waited for the other people on the tour. It wasn't the best snorkeling, but I did see a Barracuda which was cool. After the tour I did some shopping. The Mall right outside of the ship is very touristy, but people are nice. I also went to the higher end area, but it is pretty $$$
Read wkasmarzyk's full Celebrity Eclipse cruise review
Member Image paramedic268
Mar 2012
If there is one tour to take, this is it. Great crew, with lots of SCUBA divers for safety. They don't sell any pictures so you can get an underwater camera before you leave, or for $20.00 they will sell you a camera. The divers take your pictures, and they do a great job.
Read paramedic268's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image bs4u2c
Feb 2012
Must do at least once! Great Crew, fun time!!
Read bs4u2c's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image bs4u2c
Feb 2012
Must do at least once! Great Crew, fun time!!
Read bs4u2c's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review