St. Thomas Scuba - beginner Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > St. Thomas Shore Excursions > Scuba - beginner

An excursion geared for beginner scuba divers -- plunge into St. Thomas’ waters to visit gardens or coral and schools or unique marine life.

lawrencedavis007

1 review

they took us to buck Island to dive a small reef and ship wreck. it was amazing how pretty it was even though we could not complete the dive because our ear's would not adjust the the depth. we snorkeled most of the way. the crew was great and let my wife drive the boat some of the way back. we do recommend under water safari's

loveandcruises

My husband went scuba diving for the very first time and loved it. The emphasis was on safety. All equipment and instruction were provided. The cost was $109. My husband had a terrific time.

cynergi

1 review

We went to Coki Beach to learn PADI (scuba) diving - it was fabulous. Great beach for the others in your party to hang out on, and the dive center was well equipped and affordable. The cab ride was around $9 per person from the cruise port each way. You could rent snorkel gear for $10. 2 beach lounges w/umbrella was $20 for the day. They sell soda/snacks/lunch and gift shop items on the beach. The water is perfect, no rocks - calm (it's an inlet) and gorgeous. IT was pretty crowded but fun and casual. Loved the COKI Beach dive shop personnel - super friendly and accommodating. Coral World is adjacent but we didn't go there.
Magen's Bay- awesome! Really cheap cab ride ($7 or so) to a national park with a protected inlet again for swimming. You can rent a chair and even get a slice of pizza. Great vibe, gorgeous calm waters to swim in - we even saw sea turtles there.

robergee

1 review

As for the SCUBA diving, it was very fantastic!!!! We had a crash course and then, went on a boat where they split the group into 4 groups of 4-5 people. An instructor then takes specificaly care of his group and make sure they are set to go. In our group, a girl couldn't ajust her hears while going down and the trainer had to take care of her for around 10 minutes. During this period, her boyfriend, my wife and myself were 20-30 feets under and were panicking a bit... you know, first time you breath with a tank is not obvious for the first couple of minutes. I don't think the trainer should have left us by ourself at this time and luckily, my wife and I managed our feelings and we finally ended up having one of our best excursion of our life! Sometimes, you have to go beyond your comfort zone and this is what made this experience exceptionnal. I invite everyone to try this excusion but just make sure you don't loose your trainer if you are with someone having issues... On the other side, I understand that he did his best to have everyone on board but it could have become a nightmare if either my wife or myselft wouldn't have been able to stay in the bottom for 10 minutes wainting by ourselves...

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

hscohn

They got my son certified with the beginner PADI Scuba Diver in only 1 day. Really terrific service.

Caribbeancruisern

1 review

My son did this and loved it!

jdelta

1 review

Coki Beach Dive Centre was incredible! I can say how professional this company was. We felt totally safe. As for value for the money, I don't think it could have been any better. We were picked up right at the gangway and driven directly to Coki beach. The dry land instruction and shallow water famil lasted for about 40 minutes total. They we spent 30-40 minutes exploring the reef in goroups of our max (for safety). The coral and sealife were amazing! Book early!

ellegirl727

1 review

the instructor is super uptight she will not let you leave if you do not check off the medical condition waiver all in the box that your ok and nothing is wrong with you. but that because scuba is really hard. i have never done scuba before. the snorkel and goggle they give you are really cheap and not sure if they are sanitized. if you have your own goggle but if the instructor since it is not the right material she will not let you go scuba with the group. the water kept going inside the goggles and it was really dangerous for me. i liked the private residential beach they took us to.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

hyker1

I took my first scuba-dive, and it was a fairly good experience. We dove near a wreak in about 38 feet of water. Saw lots of lovely coral, sponges, and tropical fish. After a short scuba experience, I snorkeled. Really beautiful cove and lots of sea life. I saw a good-sized barracuda and a tuna. My dive course was very straight-forward, informative, and well-organized. The gear was in excellent condition, and I felt very safe. We dove in groups of three and our instructor, though a no-nonsense sort of guy, was also VERY into safety and precautions. I very much appreciated that, since this was my first experience. I highly recommend this diving experience to anyone who's adventurous and would like to try diving. As a result, I may take a class now and try to get some more experience towards certification. :) Good-times!

Chris711SF

1 review

I had been told that St. Thomas was boring, but I actually found it beautiful and the snorkeling was good. (I was supposed to scuba, but couldn't deal with it.) It's cheesy, but we actually enjoyed our drinks and Mexican food at Senor Frog's!

Izlander

St Thomas is a favorite of mine, we went to Cokie Beach and did the beginners scuba diving, well started to I chickened out but my daughter went and had a ball, I ended up snorkeling and it was a really great snorkeling area, lots of fish that you can hand feed. Had a really good time there.

skachelmeyer

1 review

Husband and Son used Blue Island Divers for our dive trip and they were great. Excellent service and top notch divers. Daughter and I took at taxi to Sapphire Beach. Despite the rain we had a great time there, the snorkeling was awesome. Then we took a cab into town for shopping. Only issue is with the cabs. We understand that they want to be full and can appreciate that but it is very anoying that when grab a cab, the driver spends 20 mins on the way back to the ship driving slowly trying to get more customers instead of driving you back to your cab.