Barbados Snorkeling Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Barbados Shore Excursions > Snorkeling

Barbados’ colorful coral reefs and marine life make it a prime destination for snorkeling. You don’t have to stray too far from shore to see starfish, sea turtles and more.

hillorie_m

1 review

Again, a great and perfect day. The catamaran took us out to where the sea turtles live. I saw a few sea turtles. Then a huge storm blew in so we had to move. They knew exactly how long we could stay in that area before the storm reached us; they knew exactly what they were doing on the water! Next, they took us to a shipwreck. My kids absolutely LOVED snorkeling by the shipwreck. We had to go there due to the severe storm in the turtle area. The weather was obviously out of the control of the guides, although that did not prevent the Disney clients from being extremely obnoxious about it. Then they served us a hot lunch buffet that was very good; better than the food onboard the ship actually. Lastly we went to an area that had 20+ feet depth that was the most magical and clear blue water we saw anywhere. The water in Barbados is like a movie or a dream! At this location there were many huge starfish that you could see through the crystal blue water. We finished our time by sailing and have desert. It was a memorable day!

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

slabeaume

This is a port we've been to before, but that time I didn't think there was snorkling from the shore so I went on a photography tour. Although the port is nothing to look at, I was very impressed with Barbados---especially the scenery on the East coast. This time, I read there was good snorkeling from the shore at Folkestone Marine Park. So we walked off the ship about 8:30 and were on our way to the taxi line when one of them came up to us. RT to Folkestone (about 30 minutes north) was about $27@. He offered a tour for $100 including dropping us off and picking us back up later from Folkestone. We didn't have $100 cash, so offered him $80. He accepted and we were off on our private tour. It was a nice but short tour. I had hoped to see the Scottish area again and Bathsheba, but he stayed strictly on the northwest side. Guess I can't blame him for the price we paid the the cost of gas (I think it was about $2.50/liter). We still saw some pretty sights! It was about 10 when we got to Folkestone Marine Park. We asked him to come back for us about 2. They had recently renovated the area around the park---new lockers, store, rock wall by the beach and a new concrete walkway along the beach. Hardly anyone there, lifeguard, lots of shade, beautiful water!---it was fantastic! After a couple hours of snorkeling, we got out. I would have gone back in, but didn't want to be soaked when the taxi driver came back. So I took a walk along the new walkway. A short ways to the left was a cute beachfront Italian restaurant. I can't believe there weren't more people at Folkestone Park and surrounding area! It's a definite Gem! When I got back from my walk, our driver was there.

wmfisher

we coudn't book Harrison caves and instead decided to go to a beach and snorkel. Not too manny reefs
but it was great to just be in the warm water and sun

sippin_pisco

1 review

this was the most disappointing, as there were no turtles! the guides tried with bait and with banging a buoy, but no turtles! we only saw one swimming alongside the boat as we sailed to another location. Then we tried there, nada, then we could swim to a beach, but it was kind of mangy.....then we had rum punch, so that as always, perks you up a bit. There were nice folks on the cruise, and nice staff - but all in all, this was my least favorite island and least favorite excursion...however the family disagrees with me....!

richnjca

Catamaran "Elegance" - The excursion is every bit as the name implies - Elegant! We did the lunch cruise. We were picked up right by our cruise ship and taken straight away to Elegance. The boat is a wonderfully nice cat and would never be crowded even with the max they take on of only 14 passengers on board. I observed some of their "competition" sailing about, and those boats seemed like a mob scene. This is a great trip to take to get away from the still more crowded cruise trip excursions or to take as part of your on land vacation on Barbados. Crew tends to your every needs. Lunch was wonderful and you are never without a beverage if that is what you want. Of course, the whole object of the trip is snorkeling and that was great. We saw turtles, ship wrecks and great reefs and fish. Someone from Elegance is in the water to help those who need it. I know a lot of cruise ship passengers are concerned about getting back to the ship on time and hence take the cruise ship excursion as some sort of insurance. Coming from off of a ship, the duration of this lunch trip is perfect. No rush to get back to the ship. Timing allowed plenty of time to get back, shower and relax a bit before dinner. We've done lots of snorkeling around the world and let me say that in Barbados - this is the trip to take regardless of your age.

gcwest

1 review

Only got to see half of what we paid for.

Provider: Carnival Cruise Lines

Ystone

2 snorkel spots: turtles up close (3) and shipwreck site with lots of different fish species. Final stop was at a beach but anchor spot was far enough offshore that one had to swim to the beach not allowing one to take anything with such as a towel. Most stayed on the boat or swam near it not going to the beach itself.

SouthLyonCruiser

We booked this trip through a web site called shoretrips.com. Finding the operator at the port was a bit of a problem and took inquiring of about six people before we were steered to the proper people. The excursion was called Sea Turtle Snorkel Plus Lunch. We were escorted to the snorkel sites by Catamaran and the trip itself was well worth the expense. The crew was wonderful and the beverages, including beer and rum punch was included. The crew would even stop and as you if you wanted a refill when they noticed that your cup was empty. The first stop was at a site that had plenty of sea turtles that would come right up to you and let you touch them. What a great experience. The second stop was at a shipwreck site. The one wreck that I went to was clearly visible and I was able to take plenty of photos. One of the snorkelers ever dove down and swam through the wreck.

rjc1117

One of the best tours we have been on. 2 snorkeling stops and a beach stop. Crew as great. Good time for all

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

TxnAquarian

We did a catamaran sail and snorkel excursion. It was a lovely day spent out on the boat, but the snorkeling left a lot to be desired. We made 2 snorkeling stops - one to see a coral reef and the other to see turtles. It was nice, but the water wasn't very clear and the scenery wasn't that interesting. The boat also made a stop at a beach for an hour. The crew was wonderful and it was fun just to be out in the sun.

Provider: Crystal Cruises

merinski

We went to meet for our snorkel with Turtles tour. When we got there we had to wait for a long time to get bused to the catamaran. Then we got on the catamaran & we waited & waited again, because they had to put alot of credit cards through. They really should say cash only. So we didn't have as long as we should have because of the wait. If you want a tour that goes out further & to see lots of turtles.This one is not the one for you. We could still see the cruise ship. We went to Carlyle beach. Our Driver was Sheldon, he was quite rude.However the young guy who went in the water with us was really nice.There were only 2 turtles & they were shy, so it wasn't as good as last year as they didn't take us out of the first bay. The second place was 2 ship wrecks.Close to the first place. That was better. Colorful fish! We then got to sail. We saw flying fish & we went fast & people got wet, it was fun that part. It rained a little, but not bad, it was still warm. So disappointed in Stiletto Catamaran Tour. It was New Years Day & I don't think they wanted to work.

terrytallent1

Water was more clear than other islands

Ardie12

1 review

I only gave this a 5+ because it doesn't go higher. Controlled chaos, just perfect. Great food, great crew, wonderfully responsive tour operator, and a class act all the way. We swam with turtles, snorkeled with fishies, and had a wonderful rum punch. I found this on Trip Advisor, and saw a few recommendations on here. It was hands down the best cruise excursion I've ever taken. Small, intimate, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

HonkyTonkAngel

We booked a private snorkeling tour (just me and my husband) and snorkeled at a shipwreck and with giant sea turtles!! IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Lunch on the beach included flying fish sandwiches and local beer.

MizzouCardsPT

1 review

Awesome experience with the Five Star Catamaran Sail and Snorkel with the Turtles booked through Carnival Cruise Lines. We had about 8-10 turtles swimming around us and we were allowed 45 minutes to swim with them. They also took us to a coral reef and we could snorkel there or lay on the beach. They served us lunch on board with an open bar after snorkeling was over. Then we took a 45 minute narrated tour back to the boat. I would do this excursion again!

Provider: Carnival Cruise Lines

mrgrape

Clear calm waters.

sanwt77

1 review

Great lunch on board. Swimming with the sea turtles was a real highlight. The shipwreck was well, just a shipwreck. Not a lot of fish.

Provider: Holland America Line

Julie Hobbs

1 review

A local taxi driver took us to Paynes Bay and left us in the capable hands of JC. We had beach beds with an unspoilt view of this beautiful caribbean bay - our favourite. JC arranged for a local boat to pull in and take about ten people out to snorkel with the turtles which we absolutely loved - what a brilliant experience. We were then taken to swim over the shipwreck. Funky beach bar serving drinks and snacks. We didn't want to leave this beach.

barbpretz

1 review

Based on the many positive reviews on CruiseCritic, we booked the Snorkeling with Turtles Tour through Silver Moon before our cruise. We booked the 24-person tour. I loved the boat and the crew - they definitely went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. It was a beautiful day and it was very relaxing to sail around, enjoying the sunshine, the good music, and the unlimited free drinks (alcoholic or otherwise). The lunch was excellent - I had really wanted to try flying fish. The crew pointed out various sights on shore along the way. The snorkeling itself was just as advertised: we snorkeled at one site where we saw turtles and at another site with 2 shipwrecks. Personally, I enjoyed relaxing on the boat more than the snorkeling. I'm used to much more private snorkeling, where there are just a few people at a coral reef with the leisure to just float around and spot a wide variety of fish and sea creatures. This felt very different: there were several other boats at each location, so there were clumps of people snorkeling close to each other to see the sites. It was cool to see the turtles and the shipwrecks, but there were so many people around that you had to be careful not to kick the turtles or other people. The turtles and shipwrecks were cool to see, but there was not a wide variety of fish or other sea creatures and it was not at all private. So, it was exactly what we were expecting and Silver Moon did a great job. As far as I was concerned, it was well worth it for relaxing on the boat - for snorkeling itself, I'd rather go with more of a wilderness/private feel.

celebritysailor12345

1 review

it was amazing! We saw many different kinds of colorful fish,we saw sea turtles close enough to touch,and we even spotted multiple sunken ships that were just very interesting.

kjcombs89

1 review

We had a great time in Barbados! The ship pulls in to an industrial pier, and you have to ride a shuttle to get to pretty much everything. We took a snorkel and turtle swim tour, which was lots of fun! This tour took us out to a shipwreck, which was fascinating, and then to a second location where we swam with beautiful sea turtles. Swimming with the turtles was more like "floating" with turtles, as there were so many people trying to swim in a very small area where they were throwing out food to attact the turtles. It was amazing to get to see those though!

Rum punch was flowing and abundant, but we had learned our lesson on a previous snorkel tour!

The boat ride was fun, the tour operators were happy and friendly as well as the shuttle drivers. The shuttle busses however, were SMALL! Talk about cramming like sardines! Imagine 50 people in a bus that might comfortably seat 30! We all made it in one piece though.

One note: Don't buy the cool palm frond creations from the locals. You won't be allowed to take them back on the ship. And if you do somehow make it on the ship with something plant based, you will not be able to get it through customs at the airport. :( We learned that lesson the hard way.

celebritycruiser123

Beautiful! In addition to the self-planned snorkeling adventure,we also went on the Celebrity Cruised Recommendation of a wonderful jeep tour of the island.Barbados was out favorite island,it was filled with rich history,beautiful wildlife,nice weather,and multiple beaches.On our snorkeling experience,we saw many colorful big fish,fascinating sunken ships,and sea turtles close enough to touch,in addition we saw wild monkeys,and met extremely nice people.