Cozumel Tulum Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Tulum cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Experience the ruins of the walled city of Tulum, which rise above the Caribbean Sea. Explore the archeological monuments of this ceremonial center, which were left as a reminder of this ancient Mayan culture.
Member Image Kearhartkbds
Mar 2017
Ship to tender ...tender was rocking, waters very rough/choppy few threw up ride was very rough. Bus ride to Tulum was very nice A/C bus. Tulum is breathtaking. Ride back /snacks/water provided. Tender on way back was rough seemed got easier with rough waters.
Read Kearhartkbds's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Member Image seadog007
Mar 2017
The ruins themselves were amazing. It was too hot, bring an umbrella. Our guide gave up halfway through the tour, it would have been nice to have been guided the entire grounds because we missed out on a lot of historical information. No complaints though, everyone was baking.
Read seadog007's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image jhgramma
Mar 2017
The tour guide was amazing. Best guide we have ever had on a tour. Was so knowledgeable about the ruins. Beware of the ferry ride from Cozumel to the main line though. Very rough ride. They even handed us sea sick pills before we left!! I laughed, but you won't believe how many got sick on that ferry ride.
Read jhgramma's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ctbednar
Feb 2017
Tulum itself is very nice, but this really is a tourist trap. Tour guide sold things on the bus from the port to Tulum and back. Also told you which shops to shop at. Huge flea market where the buses park at Tulum. Would never go back with tour, only alone.
Read ctbednar's full Carnival Pride cruise review
Member Image mrrastos
Feb 2017
We didn't see much of Cozumel because we went to the mainland to see the Tulum ruins. If you get seasick easily I wouldn't recommend the ferry to the mainland. The ride can get pretty rough. I am a commercial fisherman so it didn't bother me at all, but my wife and I were looking around and some of our fellow passengers and quite a few looked a little green. It takes more time to get to Tulum than you what time you have to spend there. The ruins are worth seeing, but for me were not really the highlight of the trip. I had never been to Mexico before, and on the way back form the ruins to the tour bus there is a restaurant called Frosty's that is recommended by the tour operator, who warned us that some of the other restaurants nearby overcharged and took advantage of people. I had some tacos and a very good margarita. This is also a very good place to get some bottled water. It was 37C in the shade. My wife unfortunately didn't eat anything. She was nervous to be in Mexico because she pays too much attention to the news, but her fears were unfounded. I would highly recommend booking this excursion with the cruise line because of the tight timeline. If the tour is delayed at least the ship will wait for you.
Read mrrastos's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image asclavijo
Feb 2017
Made our way, via Taxi, to the water taxi location ($18 for 6 of us one way). Took the water taxi to Mexico and then had a private driver take us to Tulum and Snorkeling. Great experience!
Read asclavijo's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Private tours by Johann & Sandra
Member Image ThatGirlKay
Jan 2017
GABRIEL was wonderful. The tour was amazing!
Read ThatGirlKay's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Snixies
Jan 2017
Our first Mayan ruins stop - enjoyed it and simply magnificent location with out of this world views, but very crowded and not as impressive as other sites we went on to see
Read Snixies's full Thomson Dream cruise review
Provider: Thomson Cruises
Member Image Moiralouise
Jan 2017
A very long day (8-5pm.) First a 40 min or so ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a 45 min or so bus ride. We chose this tour for the location on the beach and 2 hours free time to do our own thing. Our guide was a great disappointment, telling us about all the other spectacular places e.g. Chichen Itza and other places around the world. Spent most of the time talking under the shade of a tree. Had one and a half hours free time instead of 2 and most of the ruins still to explore by the time he had finished telling us about "our fathers who came from the stars." Didn't feel we learnt much about Mayan culture at all. Would not have had much time for a swim even if the beach had been open, as there was a lot to see, plus a 10-15 min walk back to the bus and still had to grab lunch. Then a 45 min drive back to Playa del Carmen, with some walking around and then 40 min free time. Now our towels were locked on the bus so once again we couldn't swim. Would much rather have gone straight back to Cozumel to at least have a bit of time there. We arrived just in time for the ship to leave - I think they were waiting for us as there were no cloths to wipe our faces this time.
Read Moiralouise's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image Hot Momma Brew
Jan 2017
Private van to tender which transported us to Tulum. Private chartered bus met the ship tender. Full lunch (sandwiches, water and chips) provided. Wonderful local tour guides who were bilingual. Best tour experience (bus trip was under an hour).
Read Hot Momma Brew's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Provider: Ecological Tours & Services
Member Image travelsande
Dec 2016
A little too much standing in the heat while the guide gave us information about the ruins. Enjoyed the free time to walk around and see the pretty beach below the ruins. Not enough time to walk down the stairs to the beach with all the crowds. Takes at least 1/2 hour for the ferry from Cozumel, another 1/2 hour for the bus ride to the ruins. Another 40 minutes near the Playa Del Carmen bus station by the beach. We made the last ferry back to Cozumel at 6:30, so the ship had to wait for us as it was to have left the port at 7pm.
Read travelsande's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image Emmia
Dec 2016
Tulum Express. The ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen was really choppy - fortunately we didn't get sea-sick. The tour guide who took us to the bus and stayed with us at Tulum and back to Playa del Carmen and got us back on the ferry was more than excellent. He was full of information and very helpful to every person on the tour. I highly recommend this if you are a history buff. It was great.
Read Emmia's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image weetzie00
Dec 2016
The ruins itself was beautiful and a great historical site to visit. However, our tour guide (provided through NCL's excursion) seemed to be in a rush and the older members of our group were left behind. He said he'd wait but didn't. He made no attempt to cater to them and I missed out on half of the tour trying to help the slower half of the group. We had over an hour of free time, so I don't understand why he did that. He seemed knowledgeable, I wish I had heard it all.
Read weetzie00's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Kingofcool1947
Dec 2016
A long day, by ferry boat, then bus ride to Mayan ruins at Tulum. Excellent tour of the ruins, then beach time and buffet lunch at a private beach resort. Angel the tour guide was excellent. Well worth the cost of the tour, since Tulum is quite a distance travel from Cozumel.
Read Kingofcool1947's full Regal Princess cruise review
Member Image leathgirl
A MUST SEE. Worth the long day X7
Read leathgirl's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Member Image adjensen
Dec 2016
Once in a lifetime will be enough -- 45 minutes on ferry, 45 minutes on bus, 45 minutes to get to ruins and be led around, an hour on your own (including on your own to find food -- no lunch or drinks included) and then the bus and ferry back. If you're into Mayan history and ruins (I am) it's worth it, otherwise, probably not.
Read adjensen's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image CruisinRanee
Dec 2016
Our guide was fun and interesting. He made the ruins come alive.
Read CruisinRanee's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image PNFL
Nov 2016
Very nice excursion but it is a very long day.
Read PNFL's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Happy_Traveler_2008
Nov 2016
We took the RCL Tulum and Beach Break excursion yesterday and loved it. Boarded the ferry at 8 am and it was a 45 minute ride. Since it was a bit choppy, several passengers got sick towards the end of the ride. Crew was ready with barf bags and trash can. Even offered rubbing alcohol cotton ball to help alleviate the nausea. Eat light breakfast if you are concerned. But since lunch is at 2 pm, be prepared. There was 15 minute walk from ferry to bus parking lot with a break to take pictures. Bus ride takes about an hour but we stopped for 25 minutes for toilet break and shopping at a local arts and crafts shop. We arrived at Tulum at 11:15. Walk to entrance was another 10 minutes. Guide gave a 45 minute talk and we had about 90 minutes free time to explore. Tulum is bigger than I thought with many interesting buildings to see. The surrounding view of the Caribbean Sea is beautiful! Well worth the long ferry and bus ride to get there. Very little shade there so bring sun protection, sun umbrella and water. Guide did give us one free water. We left at 1:30 to go to Los Lirios for buffet lunch and beach break. Got there at 2 pm. Grab food quickly since they didn't refill items. Was able to use the cabanas and loungers on the beach for free. Beach is long and beautiful but pretty windy. Saw several people parasailing. We left at 4 pm and arrived back at the ship at 6:15.
Read Happy_Traveler_2008's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image oldpsych
Nov 2016
Tulum was a great experience and in a beautiful setting.
Read oldpsych's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image wesmooore8
Oct 2016
Awesome. My wife and I left the group for a bit because we wanted to explore the ruins on our own. There is not a lot of time after the guided tour for personal exploring. It was very good overall. The area was beautiful and the trip there and back was filled with information and it made the time pass quickly. I would highly recommend this excursion.
Read wesmooore8's full Empress of the Seas cruise review
Member Image 1sg
Oct 2016
Hot. Great tour guide, Angel. He was funny, entertaining and educational. Time went quick. I loved hearing about the Mayans and seeing there culture in Tulum
Read 1sg's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image cghouston
Oct 2016
Did the Tulum Temples & Mayan Village with Lunch - our guide Martin was great - the ruins of Tulum are beautiful. We also enjoyed the Mayan village and lunch of traditional Mayan dishes
Read cghouston's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image MountainWestWoman
Oct 2016
In Cozumel we went to Tulum ruins and a cenote. We took a taxi van (about $16 for 6 of us) 7 minutes (they are waiting outside the port and easy to find) to the ferry to Playa del Carmen (mainland) about 45 mins. My husband and I had already been to Tulum on a Carnival tour a few years before but wanted to take our kids to also see some other sites while in Playa in a short amount of time, which can't be done on the cruise tour. I saw great reviews online about hiring the Genchi family as a private driver and I am so glad we did! We had such a wonderful experience with Emi that I would recommend her without hesitation and use her again in a heartbeat. She is very professional but also super sweet and fun to talk to. She told us just what she would be wearing and she spotted us right off the ferry from Cozumel. She helped us exchange some pesos which we needed for the sites we would visit. We learned alot about the area travelling with her and she made sure we knew exactly where to go at Tulum and where to find her after we explored. She gave us suggestions but really let us direct the experience. The van was clean and very cool on a hot day and the rates were incredible for our own private experience (so different and much better than taking a tour with the cruiseship on a bus.) After Tulum, which is an unforgettable experience, she drove us to a cenote and helped us buy our tickets. Our children absolutely loved the cenote and jumping of a 10 foot cliff into the clear water below. When it was time to go, my 6 and 8 year old both hugged Emi because they felt so much kindness and love from her. She knows the area and tourism very well and we felt very safe and educated with her around, plus she watched the time and got us back to the ferry in plenty of time. The day couldn't have gone better.
Read MountainWestWoman's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image nwskeptic
Aug 2016
Tulum was great...our tour guide...well, he was enthusiastic, but spent so much time talking about stuff that we knew about (like the sun changing positions based on the dates) it was apparent he knew not very much about the Mayans. The ruins were great but would have appreciated a better guide.
Read nwskeptic's full Carnival Dream cruise review