Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Roatan Gumbalina Park Excursion Reviews

Roatan Gumbalina Park cruise excursion
Overall Rating
At Gumbalimba Park you will find many things to spark your curiosity and love the outdoors. Stroll nature trails or walk across the pond via a rope bridge and interact with the parrots and macaws in the Bird Sanctuary.
Member Image OhSoBucco3925
May 2015
A twenty minute drive through abject poverty led us to this lovely place. There is a little beach and pool which we did not mess with. Know going in that you will have to shell out 5 bucks cash for a locker, since they don't allow bags in the monkey area. Apparently the monkeys have figured out how to get into bags. The monkeys were the highlight of the experience, but the rest was neat too. Don't plan on eating anything while on this trip, since the only place to do so is a little overpriced burger stand at the park.
Read OhSoBucco3925's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image msdickey0421
Apr 2015
We loved our visit to Gumbalina Park. We held the monkeys and birds. Gained valuable information about this reserve. Beautiful island. Loved the bus ride. The driver and park worker gave us great information about the island.
Read msdickey0421's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image popeyeal
Apr 2015
If you do nothing else on this tour, interact with the monkeys. We couldn't stop laughing as they climbed all over us. They were playful and gentle. They will try to unbutton things. They licked my head. Their tongues and touch were very soft. The monkeys, Macaws, Iguanas and other birds and animals were free roaming. The Rope bridge was a challenge but fun.
Read popeyeal's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Member Image artmanr
Mar 2015
I was not feeling all that well on this day. So, I didn't do much but take the bus to Gumbalina and then lounge on the beach. My wife and kids took the nature tour and saw exotic birds and monkeys. They said it was really great. The photos of them were pretty cool. Monkeys on their arms. Birds too. They said they would do it again. I wish I was feeling better and would have done the walking tour too. But, lounging on the beach was pretty good too.
Read artmanr's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image AZGANG
Mar 2015
My daughter and I loved the animals, but it was very hot and there is a lot of walking. Bring water and if you can't walk, pay the extra for the train. We did and ended up getting a private tour from Christopher.
Read AZGANG's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Rick&Deanna

******** THIS IS A MUST DO **********

Roaton Honduras is a very beautiful place that like most port countries are very poverty stricken. We took the ship booked tour of Gumbalimba park. DO NOT miss this tour. It was so informative and amazing. It was not only our favorite excursion we have ever taken, it was also our kids and my mother in laws favorite. You get some great one on one activity with Iguanas, Macaws, and White faced cappuchion Monkeys. What a cool thing to do!

Read Rick&Deanna's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Timogin
Feb 2015

After we walked out of the fenced gated guarded carnival compound we entered a gauntlet of tour operators who were very hungry for business. a very pushy woman names Ivy approached me and asked " what I want to do today". Mike the 4 wheeler guy had given a name and I told her I was already on the hunt for someone else. It had no sooner left my lips when 7 of the 8 people Ivy excluded sais "oh no she is the best" pointing to Ivy and "she is better than us even" one guy said. So being pointed by majority rule to "the best" I entered negotiations with my newly found guide Ivy.
I will just say this about Ivy... She can come stay with me and my family any time she wants to visit. She was a singularly kind and generous person who, even without the excursion would have been worth the money just to meet her. She offered to take us to her house and cook dinner for us.. and stay!!! What a beautiful and kind sprit she has!

Read Timogin's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Provider: Ivy
Member Image Timogin
Feb 2015

In Rotan they funnel you threw a gauntlet of Caravel owned shops. Watch out the prices are jacked up. just out side the gauntlet is a nice 4 wheeler tour for $50 per and $80 for a double. If you tell the guy its way to much he will come down to $35 for one (Firm) and $60 for double riders. The guy was great and the hour trip turned to 2 hours long after I tipped the money I negotiated him down to back to him and he took us to see his green sea turtles and I actually got to pet and feed them.

Read Timogin's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Provider: I called him Mike and he answered.
Member Image rosa@rose
Feb 2015

Beautiful park, excellent and knowledgeable guide . The beach so-so.

Read rosa@rose's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image simjabo72
Jan 2015

We had booked the beach break but on the recommendation of the cruise staff we changed it to the Gumbilina Preservation Park. This was such a great day. A short bus ride through town (a great exposure to local culture and living conditions) the park is immaculate and beautiful. We weren't told to take swimmers/ towels and it was a shame as there was a beach and pool available for us to use. We got to hang out with Macaws and have monkeys climb all over us. Great excursion for kids. Its educational and fun. Food was available and they cater for people with mobility issues. Buses depart at intervals in the afternoon so you can stay as long as you want!

Read simjabo72's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Mompugz
Dec 2014

The park was nice and they seem to have a good handle on the salespeople in that area, which was an improvement over the docks.

Read Mompugz's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image Ms.Albuquerque
Dec 2014

This park is so beautiful with waterfalls and lush vegetation. The monkeys would come out of the trees and sit on your shoulder or head…but only if you wanted them to. The guides were very good about knowing who wanted to handle them. The monkeys were friendly, well cared for and we were told they received annual vaccines so I feel they were safe to be around.

Read Ms.Albuquerque's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Member Image egalfanatic
Dec 2014

we did our Snuba here at the park and afterwards the kids stayed behind to do the monkeys and tour the grounds. i cant really say to much about this part ads i headed back to the ship but the kids had a blast and said it was really cool to have the macaws and monkeys sit on them.

Read egalfanatic's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image dileep
Dec 2014

Roatan is an Island that we docked at along with a Carnival ship in port. Our excursion started after noon and it took about an hour to get to Gumbalimba Park. The parakeets were interesting and made form great photos. The monkeys were cute and tamer than we expected. The iquana and hummingbirds were added attractions. The roads to the park had many potholes. A short (4 hours) and easy excursion.

video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxHdyibcWNY

Read dileep's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image MonSchnu
Nov 2014

This was taken only after we got off the ship and it was pouring and all tours were cancelled except this one (had booked private island original one was cancelled before the ship even left home port-boooked a second one and it ended up getting cancelled a well) and ziplining (no thanks). I was glad this was the alternate to the cancelled excursion. We drove across the island. It needs to be cleaned up. We got to the park and you have the feeling of being in the rainforest. It's nice at this park and just a nice place to appreciate nature and the beauty of the island. You also get to hold monkeys, which was the highlight of this excursion for me.

Read MonSchnu's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image lesbob423
Nov 2014

A lot of fun. Tour guide Rudolph Green Washington was articulate, informative, and attentive. You'll love the flora and wildlife.

Read lesbob423's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image PacificMountain2012
Oct 2014

Gumbalina Park is nice place to spend a few hours. First its a beautiful botanic garden and that really lets you see the plant life in Roatan and get a real feel for how dense it can be. You also get a glimpse at the wildlife in Roatan, including iguanas, birds of all type, including parrots, and monkeys. There is an opportunity to have a parrot sit on you, as well as a monkey, neither are to be missed. We really enjoyed our time here.

Read PacificMountain2012's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image kctravelguru
Sep 2014

Getting to the park is kind of an experience, as it is on the other side of the island. You will get to see a lot of armed security guards carrying AK-47's, but the driver was nice, and the guide was very funny.

Once you get to the park you will enjoy yourself a lot. The monkey island is a great hands on experience, the holding of the Macaws is great as well. Don't "chicken out" by missing the Pirate Bridge, it is a very neat experience.

Once the tour is over you have several hours to enjoy the rest that the park has to offer. They have a small zip line, boats, sand beach, snack bar, and shopping.

They will take a lot of photos of you while you are on your tour, and you can buy a disk of it. They took about 32 photos of me, and the disk cost me 12 dollars, which is a HUGE bargain!

Read kctravelguru's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image spencerterry
Jun 2014

By far one of the best memories of our cruise. Playing with monkey's, chilling with iguana's, large parrots on our shoulders, butterfly exhibits, and great narrated tour....this is grand.

A SIDE NOTE: After our tour, our guide mentioned the beach as the ocean was right there. I noticed a small shack with scuba gear and ran over asking if we could snorkel, and inquired on prices. Since the groups had already left for the boat, they gave us a killer deal of $15/person which included a guide for 1.5 hours!!!!! We jumped at the chance and had an excellent guide who gave us a quick run down of do's and don'ts and off we go. Often we were able to see beautiful fish, wildlife and coral. Wonderful experience. I'd certainly go again.

Read spencerterry's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image snowgirl42
Feb 2014

saw spider monkeys but all the archeology was reproductions

Read snowgirl42's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image cb1968
Feb 2014

Over priced for what you get. Actual time with animals about 15 minutes.

Read cb1968's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image optiman32
Feb 2014

Very nice excursion combines zip line and Gumbalina park visit. The Macaws and Monkeys are great fun.

Read optiman32's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image harlingencruiser
Feb 2014

Gumbalimba Park consisted of five macaws that were let out of their cages across the trail and sat in the trees. You had to take off all your accessories to see the monkeys, there were 10 monkeys with a handler who threw a peanut on your shoulder and then the monkey jumped on your shoulder and you could take a picture. So much for the birds and monkeys. The cave was a manmade cave with a cannon in it. There was a lot of walking.

Read harlingencruiser's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image JustBeachy88
Jan 2014

It was a rainy/windy day. We were suppose to do the park and Tabyanna Beach but the beach excursion portion was cancelled. NCL refunded that portion no problem. Tour guide was very informative and knowledgable. Park was a cool experience...loved the monkeys!

Read JustBeachy88's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image phantompilot
Jan 2014

Gumbalina Park was great! Our day started with a short bus ride across the second highest point on the island, which gave spectacular views of the island. The walk through the park was about 2 miles and we had the chance to see and handle a few of the animals. The monkeys were crowd favorites, climbing on heads and running down backs. If animals are not your thing, or you'd prefer to view them from a distance, you can opt out of holding them. Well worth the money but I would not suggest doing this tour when the weather is hot.

Read phantompilot's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image remy1979
Dec 2013

Fantastic!! Would highly recommend. Driver, Palacio, got us through to the preserve without incident. Tour Guide, Teddy, was great! Really had a lot of knowledge and good jokes. The Gumbalimba Preserve itself is beatiful and the monkeys were adorable. Kids absolutely LOVED IT and so did we!!

Read remy1979's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image PoorBuoy
Dec 2013

We went to Gumbalimba Park while my daughters had the beach day. The park was good. The birds were beautiful and a monkey stole my glasses. The guide had to offer the monkey an orange to get him to give them back. The guide was local and could knowledgeably talk about the island. It is about a 20 minute ride to the park from the ship, but I enjoyed getting to see and hear about the island. The food service at the park was slow and was hamburgers and hot dogs. We were happy when the manager apologized for the slow service and gave us a free employee lunch of spare ribs, rice and beans, and breadfruit. I wish that was on the menu.

Read PoorBuoy's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image hubb56
Sep 2013

You get to hold and play with the monkeys. It is amazing. Put away your glasses....They will sneak them off your head....It was an amazing part of our trip.

Read hubb56's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Provider: Victor Bodden Tour
Member Image multiglot
Sep 2013

Roatan is a very nice place. The people are friendly and accommodating. Although the island is not "rich" in material things, the life style is pleasant and seems happy. I particularly noticed small businesses, set up in portable shelters. People working hard to better their financial position. This is admirable. We took a tour of Gumbalimba park.In spite of the rain, it was a very nice tour. The monkeys were cute. The macaws were beautiful. The park was very nice. The pirate exhibit was historically informative (but not real professional). The beach was pretty much rained out. Suitable for mobile seniors and kids in strollers ( we did it like that.). For the mobility impaired, there is a golf cart tour, $5 per head, with your own guide. The food and souvenirs in the kiosk aren't exorbitantly priced. All in all, worthwhile.

Read multiglot's full Carnival Magic cruise review