Skagway Dog Sledding Excursion Reviews

Skagway Dog Sledding cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Dog sledding isn't just for the freezing Alaskan winter! Let a team of strong huskies pull you through Skagway's trails and countryside.
Member Image tbrugger7
Jul 2014

On our way up to the train depot our tour made a stop at the dog musher camp. The man giving the tour has run the Iditarod race 7 times and shows all of his equipment and explains everything vividly- he is wonderful at his job! He had our small group quite captivated. Our 5 year old is extremely afraid of dogs so we worried about this part of our tour but it went very well actually. When you are introduced to the dogs they are behind a gated area and she was able to stand WAY back, while everyone else could go up to them fence and love on the dogs as much as they wanted. They hooked up a 6 dog team and showed us how they run with a sled and how excited the dogs get when they realize they have been picked to GO. Then comes the best part- you get to hold and love the puppies! Even our very scared daughter got in on the action - of course the 12 day old puppies were the thing;) If he hadn't counted them out exactly I'm sure a few would have gone home with the guests, including us, as they were so sweet and cuddly. Wonderful Experience- A MUST DO!

Read tbrugger7's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Member Image cameocameo
Jun 2014

We could not afford the glacier dog sled excursion so we settled for the MUSHERS camp excursion. Well we were surprised at how awesome it was. I highly recommend it

Read cameocameo's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image DebbraLee
Jun 2014

Great experience - Guide, Autumn was delightful and the dogs were everything we expected. Puppies too! Note, we happened to see two Grizzly bears outside the camp!

Read DebbraLee's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image Travelgoer
Jun 2014

We booked independently with Chilkoot Tours: Yukon Rail & Bus Tour w/dog sled ride. It's always best to take the train up and bus ride down. We went into Yukon Territory and transferred to a SMALL 20 passenger mini van to Caribou Crossing for lunch and the Dogsled ride (we could have opted out for this which is optional). Great BBQ lunch, beautiful scenery and lots of photo stops up there and on way down mountain. On the train we passed 3 bears alongside the train and 2 caribou. The captain told us we were very lucky to see them.

Read Travelgoer's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Chilkoot Tours
Member Image Catlulu123
Aug 2013

My mother loved holding the puppies and my daughter stoled all of our gold!

Read Catlulu123's full Golden Princess cruise review
Member Image Grammieof7
Aug 2013

Loved hearing about the Idiotrod Racing from a real racer and and having interaction with his sled team. The dogs are truly excited to run and then being able to hold the 6 week old puppies was the best! So wanted to sneak one home!

Read Grammieof7's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image Tarheelmama
Aug 2013

Presentation from 4 time Ididirod competitor was extremely interesting.

Read Tarheelmama's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image CruiseGuy95
Jul 2013

Musher dogs followed by playtime with puppies? What's not to like?

Read CruiseGuy95's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image lifesabeachum
Jul 2013

We enjoyed the less expensive Summer Mush Camp experience. You don't really get to "mush" per se - the dogs just run you around for about 30 minutes in large group in a modified golf cart. But...the ride up in the Unimog was unexpectedly interesting and so was the shuttle ride up to the camp. Our mushers were very knowledgeable and courteous and I saw no signs that any of the dogs were in distressed, abused or in bad condition. Yes - each dog's quarters are basic - no frills and not ideal. With that said, they seemed happy and healthy and ready to run. They are working dogs. Best of all - we got to HOLD A PUPPY. Now, if you are expecting top notch purebred Huskies and experienced Iditarod racers, then this isn't for you. But we enjoyed it.

Read lifesabeachum's full Volendam cruise review
Member Image Imkat
Jun 2013

This was by far the best excursion. We are dog lovers and this was definitely the type of excursion we like. I just wish the sledding had been on the snow. It was a very hot day and I was worried about the dogs and the heat, although the trainers were exceptionally good with the dogs.

Read Imkat's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image nmbell
Jun 2013

This was a 3 and half hour tour- included a bus ride, then when we got to the dog camp we transferred onto another military type vehicle that took us 800 feet up the mountain to the dog area. We got on the "sleds" (converted golf carts) - and spent no more than 3 minutes sledding. Disappointing - would have liked to at least had a 10 or 15 minute run with the dogs.

Read nmbell's full Star Princess cruise review
Member Image NH Cruiser56
Jun 2013

A bus ride through Skagway then to base camp. A ride up 800' in a Unimog and the dogs were waiting for us to go for a ride. Plenty of time for pictures and to pat the dogs. Back down to base camp for a demonstration and the highlight of the tour, the puppies

Read NH Cruiser56's full Carnival Miracle cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Lines
Member Image cmu_2012
Jun 2013

Excursion was canceled due to weather.

Read cmu_2012's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Parasols
Sep 2012
We pre-registered on line with Frontier Excursions for a guided van ride up to Carcross (you go through BC and into the Yukon Territory to get there). They charge just under $100pp, includes a BBQ lunch. You get to see sled dogs - lots of them. You can ride a dog sled here for about $37.75 for 15 minutes and a little more for a half hour. There is a coffee shop, museum and gift store here as well. Take this excursion- you will see many beautiful sites. Many people opt for a train ride - from what I have heard, it is a waste of money. You never get off the train, and it only goes a third of the way as this guided van tour will take you. If you decide to take this Frontier Excursions tour, make sure you bring your passport. They take you around Skagway as well.
Read Parasols's full Golden Princess cruise review
Provider: Frontier Excursions
Member Image Thoth
Sep 2012
the dog sledding in the Yukon was part of the White Pass Train tour. The dog sled was a lot of fun.
Read Thoth's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image usermom
Aug 2012
We loved the dog sled ride and the education we received about these dogs. This was an awesome excursion.
Read usermom's full Zuiderdam cruise review
Provider: Chilkoot Charters and Tours
Member Image Kirby420
Jul 2012
Bus to mountain camp. Explanation of sledding and dogs. Sled on wheels pulled around a wooded trail by team of about 16 dogs. Then get to see puppies. Was interesting. Sledding was amazing.
Read Kirby420's full Statendam cruise review
Member Image davidmarq
Jul 2012
Puppies Puppies Puppies a great fun for all.
Read davidmarq's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Surgenber
Jul 2012
We took a helicopter flight seeing tour/dog-sledding excursion through Princess. It was amazing, even in the foggy weather up on the glacier. We took a snow-cat up to the dog camp, since it was so foggy. The excursion was what my husband was most looking forward to and he was not disappointed, but it was way too short! We walked around town, did some shopping, and then headed back to the ship.
Read Surgenber's full Coral Princess cruise review
Member Image MirandaM in CA
Jun 2012
This was my third visit to this particular sled dog camp. I go every time I am cruising in Alaska. As a dog fanatic, it is a wonderful experience. My husband is not as much of a dog nut, but he had a great time. This may not be as ideal as taking a helicopter to a glacier to sled with dogs on snow, but it was about 1/3 the price. You will get to meet real mushers who compete in races like the Iditarod. You will be pulled on 15 minute "cart" ride by 16 very happy sled dogs who are a bit warm because they are accustomed to running at temperatures below freezing. One of the mushers will show you all the sled gear and talk about taking care of the dogs on the trail. You will also get time to cuddle sled dog puppies. The cuddling is part of their training. Sled dogs must tolerate being handled by dozens of strangers at the various racing check points. The intense contact with new people while they are puppies socializes so that they are comfortable with strangers. I love this excursion.
Read MirandaM in CA's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Member Image jt1120
Jun 2012
Those little dogs can move! This was just fun!
Read jt1120's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Member Image brock!1
Jun 2012
Not what we expected. Not the typical dogs seen on Alaskan dog sleds.
Read brock!1's full Volendam cruise review
Member Image 21mel
Jun 2012
Our glacier landing and dog sledding tour was cancelled. My one complaint is that you don't know things are cancelled till you go to check in. We had 2 excursions planned, went to check in at 10:00 and found the weather was to bad to land on the glacier. Because of the departure times we now had to choose between a different dog sledding or the White pass Summit that we had already booked. Princess has a tour coordinator hanging out there and he was wonderful helping us. We were not charged for the White Pass tour. Soooo, the dog sledding was a blast. Great guides and mushers, tons of puppies to hold and cuddle. Free hot chocolate also :). All in all, we had a really good time. Nice thing about having only 1 excursion is we got to walk around Skagway, shop and drink Spruce Tip beer at the Brewing Company. This was my favorite town and I could have stayed there another day! The ship actually has a presentation on how to shop in Skagway, it's very informative. I guess I'll have to go back someday and do the other excursions :). Oh, and pay the $2 for the town shuttle, well worth it in the rain.
Read 21mel's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image speller63
Jun 2012
Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Experience (SK36) -- met us at the dock and took us on a nice van ride to the camp. Too die for scenery. Then up the mountain further to ride on a sled with wheels pulled by 16 dogs. Very fun. Then back to the camp to learn more about mushing and hold some puppies. Very good excursion. Would have liked to do the train ride, but can't do everything.
Read speller63's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Member Image beechbum530
May 2012
The best trip of the cruise do not miss.
Read beechbum530's full Radiance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image hawaiijos
May 2012
Most amazing excursion of the trip. Met Matt who ran the Iditarod 7 times and learned all about the history and the race. Also got to meet his dogs and puppies. Super fun.
Read hawaiijos's full Sea Princess cruise review
Provider: Yukon Gold Rush Camp
Member Image cdin0303
May 2012
A good excursion overall. Our Musher was a native Alaskan using his own dogs and clearly new a lot on the subject. In fact, his grandfather was Joe Redington Sr the so-called "Father of the Iditarod". We learned a lot of interesting information, saw some great scenery, and my young (3&5) children loved playing with the puppies. I do have one big problem with the excursion and it is the reason why I gave it a 3 rather then something higher. The actual sledding experience was extremely short. It was over in about 10 minutes and half of that time was spent letting the dogs "rest." Given that we were the first excursion of the day my guess is that the rests were designed more to drag out the experienced rather then rest the dogs.
Read cdin0303's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image cruzin_ga_gal
May 2012
The description on line matched the tour, so we got what we paid for, but the dogs seemed lacking in enthusiasm and I wondered if they were as well taken care of as the mushers stated.
Read cruzin_ga_gal's full Radiance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Staffieri
Aug 2011
We book the Dog Musher Camp with Alaska Excursions for the last week in August 2011. it was me, my mom age 62, Son age 13, and Daughter just turned 5. This was a great experience and everyone was so helpful and professional. We booked over the phone I wanted an earlier time and we the trip got closer about a month away they called and were able to give me the earlier time. Great customer service!! One of the reason they did not get 5 star is it advertised as a Dog Musher camp and you do much more. So it makes you feel like you need more time with the dogs, which I'm sure everyone does. I think it should be called Skagway's views and Dog Musher Camp. Here our day.. They picked us up right at the Disney boat. Very easy. Beautiful coach bus for about 20 with BIG windows. As they drive you, they point out sites, give history, and we saw eagles, and otters. when you arrive there you first go over a creek with many Salmon. I wished our driver knew more about the salmon. They were all over. Then you take a four wheel truck vehicle up the mountain. Crazy fun ride. Again you are seeing so many beautiful things. They it a ride with the dogs. Its like a wheel wagon. And the dogs are excited!!! It is fast. You will want to do it again. You meet the dogs and then back down to base camp. Here there is a small shop. they give you hot chocolate and cookies and you get to play with the puppies. I think because we book direct through them we had plenty of time at base camp and playing with the puppies. They talk with you a lot and teach you about dog sledding. On the way back you stop again for a short hike over looking the mountain and lake. Just BEAUTIFUL!!! I only again gave this four because I thought it would be a lot more time sledding. I think if you know the whole plan then its an amazing adventure. I would do it again. telling my group it is a tour of Skagway with dogs. Talking with people who paid WAY more to do this in the snow I think we made the better choice. We instead choose to do a glacier adventure in Juneuo.
Read Staffieri's full Disney Wonder cruise review