Ocho Rios Beach Break Excursion Reviews

Ocho Rios Beach Break cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Enjoy a day filled of sand, pools, and local food such as jerk chicken, while on a private beach break excursion in Ocho Rios.
Member Image polkadots
Nov 2014

We participated in the River Tubing Adventure + VIP Beach Club. Only two true negatives here. One, the river tubing is 45 minutes away from the port, and after that you drive back to the port plus 10-15 more minutes to get to the beach club. Couldn't they have picked a river closer to their beach club, or vice versa? Two, after getting our river tubes/helmets/life jackets we walked 5-10 minutes through woods to the mouth of the river. During this time a large number of mosquitoes feasted on our blood, leaving us with itchy bites for the rest of our trip. It did not say anywhere in the excursion details that insect repellent might be useful. Otherwise the river tubing was enjoyable: a guide supervised our trip down the river and pushed us through some "rapids." At the end of the river we were gathered onto a bunch of rafts hitched onto a motorboat and pulled with the rest of our group over to a small beach where our van awaited to drive us back to the Beach Club. At the Beach Club our tubing group had its own little section of the beach where our leader waited on us, bringing us a selection of drink options and a meal, course by course. The meal was a set menu and it was brought out at regular intervals during our 2.5 hours on the beach, meaning whatever you were doing had to stop to go back and eat. The Beach Club did try to upsell massages and drinks in keepsake glasses, but mostly was quiet and peaceful.

Read polkadots's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image dobo62
Jun 2014

Excursion guides were very nice and did a good job. The food and drinks were plentiful but had to wait for drinks on occasion so we just went to the bar ourselves.

Read dobo62's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image cruisegirl67
Jan 2014

Bamboo Beach...it was okay..Beach was small, sand was hard to walk in, and drinks were so-so!! We booked through Carnival to play it safe in Jamaica. I had been there twice before and it's not my favorite. The beach girls was nice and came around many times with Rum Punch & Beer. You got to experience some Jamaican food and the Jerk Chicken was good. We had a massage on beach that I thought was pricey compared to Cozumel. 30 minutes for $40....It was a deep tissue massage though!! We had one in Progresso, Mexico for $10. The bus was nice that took us to the beach and Carima and Sasha were great tour girls. We had a nice day in the 80's at the beach!! We didn't do any shopping other than right at the port. There was a few vendors set up there but I have never bought much there! We know Cozumel is our shopping port.

Read cruisegirl67's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Ottawaclown
Nov 2013

The excursion was Dunn's River Falls with shopping and beach break at Bamboo Beach Club. We started off on a bus ride to Dunn's River Falls with our wonderful tour guides Deandra and Kemone who I believe work with the Bamboo Beach Club. Our guides gave us some directions and information about Jamaica on our way to the falls. Once we got there they organized us and off we went. The falls were amazing and a must see even if you just walk along side of them. My wife completed the walk up even though she was terrified. A good tip when they take through the market after the falls on your way to your bus listen to what your guides tell you and there won't be any problem. I had read a lot of bad reviews about how aggressive they were but I actually didn't find it bad at all. I simply didn't take anything that was offered to me, didn't get into any conversation and tried to avoid eye contact if possible. A couple of time I gave them a firm NO as we were instructed since if you give them a firm NO they will not bother you.
After the falls we were off to do some shopping which was right outside of the port. There is only a few shops which are your typical port shops. Nothing exciting but I didn't care I wanted to get to the beach. The stop was for only 20 minutes which was more then enough and didn't hear any complaints from anyone.
We were then off to Bamboo Beach Club. At first glance not what I was expecting but after a few rum punches and beers everything was good. Things to remember here the put you with your group if you want to wander off let your guides know where you are so they can find you for drinks and food. If you wander off and don't tell them don't complain they didn't server you anything. We received plenty to drink and eat. The Jamaica food was amazing. We then got treated to some dancing by all the tour guides from each groups as well as some authenticate Jamaican style dancing with dancers that are part of the club. As we were leaving we were greeted with another big tray of drinks for the road. This tour was worth every penny. The only thing I can say is the down fall is there are so many people to tip. (Tour guides, bus driver (although I think we were the only ones to tip him), the people helping you up the falls, the guy taking the video tape as you are going up the falls) Tip bring extra money for all the tipping.

Read Ottawaclown's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image tricat3
Sep 2013

In Ochos Rios, Jamaica, we chose only to go to a beach excursion instead of doing Dunn's Falls due to time again. Although there were excursions that offered both the Falls and a beach in one trip, some of the fellow cruise members we spoke to afterwards said they were only at the beach for a little over an hour and didn't have time to relax. I think this is partly due to the short port of call Carnival had at Jamaica. Another issue is that even though you may have left early to arrive for your excursion, the locals that take you out are on a different mental schedule. We left 20 minutes late for our excursion for reasons unknown or explained to us.

Read tricat3's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image Jarnocan
Mar 2013
This was at the end, just under an hour and due to time we did not go to the wonderful Bamboo beach that Peat Taylor normally takes his guests too but it was fine for a short break. I think it was Mahogany. The host there were very nice, food smelled good and beer was cold. There are a couple small-not so much pressure, shops but do NOT accept the first price, unless you are rich.
Read Jarnocan's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Provider: Peat Taylor
Member Image Kemery
Feb 2013
We did the Paradise beach break. At first we were disappointed because the water is very rocky. Almost impossible to get into the water unless you have water shoes, and that's all we really wanted to do. You're taken to this beach along with about 15 others in a small shuttle van. You have your "host" or "guide" who is assigned to your group for the day. When you arrive you are shown where your group should sit. They want you to sit all together. They will start to serve you beverages and small appetizers which were all pretty good. At first we were really disappointed we did the excursion because we really wanted to get into the water and we were upset we paid $60 each to not be able to do that comfortably. But then we noticed a clearing about a football field way down the beach. NOBODY was down on this end of the beach. We walked down there and the water was PERFECT. So we would go swim in that area and then come back to our chairs for some cocktails every now and then. Just need to keep an eye on the guide and make sure you know when they are going to leave. Only complaint is on the way back they said we were going to do some shopping. Huh? Nobody thought shopping was part of the tour. So we stopped at one place and they said we would stay there for 20 minutes. Only one couple went into one store and then came back. Nobody else wanted to shop and just wanted to go back to the ship. The driver and tour guide kept telling us they would take us back. The ship was just a couple blocks away, but they they would NOT let us walk back. Just as we pulled out, they took a turn away from the ship and went to another shopping area!!!! Everyone was NOT happy. It started to get a little ugly. They finally reluctantly gave in and took us back to the ship. Again, this was NOT part of the excursion details. But that's Jamaica for you.
Read Kemery's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Mahtomedi
Feb 2013
Loved the beach. We were given beach chairs to use. They also brought around Rum Punch, lemonade and water. I felt they were too slow in serving us. They also served us food, but the same thing-very slow in serving. I would rather they had a buffet and we could eat when we wanted to. Also the food portions were small. Loved the beach, not the food so much.
Read Mahtomedi's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image demophon
Aug 2012
We decided that we didn't want to do much for our excursion in Ocho Rios so we chose the Paradise Beach Club excursion. Since the announcement was made that excursions would get off the ship first, we chose the early start time for our excursion. The website lists that the excursion lasts 3 hours, but it actually goes as long as you would like. There was some confusion at the meeting point on the pier, but once that was sorted our the excursion staff was very professional and we enjoyed our time with them. The shuttle ride over to the beach was very quick and we were escorted into a gated portion of the beach and then walked a little ways to an area where some beach chairs had been laid out and a couple of tents were setup to serve food and drinks. The food was just BBQ fare, but the jerk chicken was delicious. I attempted to get my $50 in just the chicken. The beach itself was nice and the water seemed clean. We were directly across from the ship which provided a nice photo op. If I find myself on Ocho Rios again, I would not object to repeating this excursion.
Read demophon's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image umari
May 2012
Excellent and safe transportation from the port to the resort. No hassles from the vendors. Friendly service at the resort. Quick check-in process. Would recommend this to anyone. Great job jamaicaforaday.com...
Read umari's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Provider: jamaicaforaday.com
Member Image Maggs07
May 2012
We booked a day pass at an all inclusive resort, Jewell Dunns River Falls. It was amazing! The bus was right there to meet us and it only took about 5-10 minutes to reach the resort. it was adults only so that was nice for us. All drinks and food are included, the jerk chicken was delicious and the drinks were tasty. Service was great and the staff was so friendly! The beach is small but private and there are several pools with swim up bars. Really great day!
Read Maggs07's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Provider: Jamaica For a Day
Member Image cakes58
Apr 2012
The beach was a little rough walking on the sand.. They served you everything and gave drinks coming... It was nice to sit and relax, not bad for the price, $49.99
Read cakes58's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image olie20
Mar 2012
Beach was ok but the service stunk, rum punch was not great. Food was limited and not really good.
Read olie20's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image lovesthebeachmom
Feb 2012
Don't know the name of the beach we visited. Did not stay as the beach smelled like exhaust and water felt greasy.
Read lovesthebeachmom's full Costa Atlantica cruise review
Provider: jaital
Member Image appeals2me
Feb 2012
We loved Jamaica and would like to go back sometime to explore that island more. The Jamaican people were extremely friendly. We enjoyed the Bamboo Beach Club very much. Our three year old went with us and while we were initially concerned about safety issues, we were quickly relieved to find that safety was not an issue at all. The beach at the Bamboo Beach Club was beautiful and our son had a blast playing in the waves. The drinks and food were included in the price, as well as entertainment. We thought it was a good value. We also visited Margaritaville which was a lot of fun. We had to walk a short distance back to the port and some locals did approach us about buying things. We simply said "no thanks" and it was not a problem.
Read appeals2me's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image Mr and Mrs C
Jan 2012
We also stopped at Great Stir up Cay, no spot for that port so I will stick it here. It was a nice beach day, the kids did the hippo slide ($20 for the day). We also went snorkeling with our own equipment, you do need to rent life vests ($5 for the day), we saw lots of fish, some large ones came quite close, and we realized later why. As we swam out we saw people feeding them out of their hands, looked like a granola bar. I wished we had remembered the under water camera, could have got some great shots. Also ran into some small jelly fish that left their mark on us. We went to the medical centre, and got some vinegar, and cream, apparently they are irritating, but harmless. We had a great lunch including some delicious ribs and corn on the cob. Tendering was fast and easy.
Read Mr and Mrs C's full Norwegian Sun cruise review