Key West Ernest Hemingway House & Tour Excursion Reviews

Key West Ernest Hemingway House & Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Journey inside Ernest Hemingway’s book-filled writing studio on a tour of his home and property.
Member Image F18Pilot
Oct 2014

Tickets were purchased at kiosk and were the same price as advertised on line. The tour was very interesting. The house was gorgeous with an in-ground pool! Tour guide was very good. The kids were fascinated with the polydactyl (six-toed) cats! There were 52 at the time and they lounge everywhere. All are named after famous people because Hemingway did.

Read F18Pilot's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Provider: Kiosk
Member Image shiner6
Dec 2013

Liked the tour-The narrator helped immensely.

Read shiner6's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Trolley Tour
Member Image candle in the wind
Dec 2013

Well worth the visit. Tour guide at house very engaging.

Read candle in the wind's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Excellent guide! Recommended.
Read da_p-potts's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image kneedoc
Feb 2013

Informative and enjoyable. Lots of walking.

Read kneedoc's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image celtic1950
Jan 2013
Lovely home and lovely gardens. The tour guide was funny and informative!
Read celtic1950's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image robint1956
Jul 2012
Interesting and fun for a short while.
Read robint1956's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image deserttreehouse
May 2012
This tour is completely on foot throughout a large area of town, so pls be aware that you should be in pretty fair shape to take this walking tour. The tour guides at the house will give you more info about Mr. Hemingway than you ever wanted to know ;) Key West is super muggy with beautiful flowers. The tour ends at Sloppy Joe's, where the staff, entertainment, food, and beer are a blessing, indeed. We enjoyed the tour and recommend it. Tip: I would make an effort to get to a beach, as well, if I had it to do over again.
Read deserttreehouse's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image justice4nathan
Apr 2012
Great excursion, a lot of history and great sights along the way! Requires a little walking so make sure you wear comfortable shoes.
Read justice4nathan's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image LandlockedCruiser01
Apr 2012
I originally scheduled a Hemingway Museum and Sloppy Joes excursion, but it was canceled. I planned to stay on the ship at first, but a fellow passenger convinced me to go into town and walk around. So I did. Imagination docks at Outer Mole, a US Navy port, so you have to take a shuttle into town. The shuttle drops you off at a downtown area. A worker at a boat rental place was nice enough to give me a map of old Key West and mark it up with places I asked him about. STREETS OF KEY WEST Think of the town as Old West meets Caribbean. There are a lot of old buildings with quirky architecture and many eclectic shops. Many of them are tourist-oriented, but not in an in-your-face touristy kind of way. For example, there's a Walgreen's store situated in a former theater building. Store workers are very nice and helpful to tourists, and there are even tourist information booths along Duval Street, which is where I spent most of my time. Make sure to try the chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick; I wish I could remember where I bought it. The pie was creamy and flavorful, and the chocolate was really good, nothing like the Hershey kind. It rained the day I was there, but that did not stop me or most other ship passengers. It was fun to watch many people walk around in Carnival ponchos around the streets. HEMINGWAY HOME AND MUSEUM This was the house where Ernest Hemingway actually lived with one of his wives. The building has Southern Colonial or New Orleans architecture style, with ground-to-roof columns and wraparound porches. Inside, there are rooms looking just as they did in the late 1800's. There's also a swimming pool commissioned by Hemingway himself, the first one in Key West. There are cats virtually everywhere: under bushes, on benches, and one was even sleeping on top of an HP printer. You're allowed to pet the cats but not pick them up. SLOPPY JOES This old bar is very mellow and laid back, and so are its workers. There are bands playing country music, but there was still a lot of people there. Various country's flags hang on the ceiling. During the worst part of the rain, I took cover in this bar, and I'm glad I did. I loved the atmosphere.
Read LandlockedCruiser01's full Carnival Imagination cruise review
Provider: Self-toured
Member Image pal6123
Mar 2012
We did a hop on/hop off trolley tour and bought our tickets at the Hemingway house. $12 each and was interesting. Found out I don't like the man very much, but good house.
Read pal6123's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image Dolfan2681
Feb 2012
We walked in on our own but didn't do the tour. Explored the grounds ourselves and met lots of friendly kitties. The property was well maintained and the staff were very nice and knowledgeable. Bring your camera and don't be shy!
Read Dolfan2681's full Carnival Valor cruise review