Nassau Scuba Diving Excursion Reviews

Nassau Scuba Diving cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Take to the blue waters of Nassau on an instructed scuba tour. Explore this amazing aquatic world -- it has all the makings for an exciting day!
Member Image jimalyson1@gmail.com
Aug 2016
We took the $189 a person Discover SCUBA Diving at Stuart’s Cove Diving in Nassau and that was… Um?... Stupid? The low point of the trip. Stuart’s Cove has a worldwide reputation of being a great dive center and it just isn’t. My wife and I are both experienced SCUBA divers and wanted to get the kids into the water to see if they like the Caribbean SCUBA experience before we blew a few mortgage payments to get them certified. The trip left WAY too late in the day (at 11:30) and when we got there, nothing, and I mean nothing was set up to train the eleven of us from The Gem and a five or so people from The Norwegian Sky. We watched a video made by PADI (The Professional Association of Dive Instructors) and then went into the pool for some basic skills. Our instructor, Brian was REALLY good at what he did, but no one at all was there to help him in any way at any time. People who arrived at the same time we did from a different cruise ship weren’t told that they had to watch the video, so that slowed us down. We had to climb down into a long rigid inflatable boat that should have already been filled with our equipment, but wasn’t, so that slowed us down. We used this boat to ride out to a pontoon boat of a kind that you more normally see at dive shops, then weren’t told that weren’t diving, but we could snorkel, so that slowed us down. Then, on the LONG boat trip from where we couldn’t SCUBA to where we could, no one changed the air cylinders from the divers who had just dived, so that slowed us down. Then, one of the brain trust realized that we were all from a cruise ship and that we actually have to be back our boats at a definite time! Then we finally got into our equipment (remember; none of these people (other than me and the missus) had EVER SCUBA dived before) at about the time that we all should have been getting back on the ship. Then, we did a ten to fifteen minute dive (which should have lasted a half hour) then raced back to Stuart’s Cove, raced back to the bus, and raced back to the port. Then, we raced back on foot to the ship. I’m not lying when I tell you that one second after we got on, they pulled the small, portable aluminum gangplank up directly behind me, and we were underway before we got to the room. The moral of this tragic tale? Don’t ever use Stuart’s Cove Diving for anything (Stuart, who was walking around, looking a bit tipsy and not getting out of the divers way, seemed to be more than a bit of an A hole, in my opinion.) But what Norwegian Cruise Lines says is true; if you book through the cruise line, even though it may be more expensive, they will not sail without you. And they don’t. If they had, we would have been stuck in Nassau, Bahamas, with the sun setting, in wet clothes, with no passports or credit cards and with $97 in damp bills. And we got fifty percent of the trip’s cost back immediately.
Read jimalyson1@gmail.com's full Norwegian Gem cruise review
Member Image dsa181920
Jul 2016
We have been to Nassau many times and it is not our favorite port. I opted to stay on the ship with my son and mother. My husband took my daughter on the Discover Scuba excursion. They had a great time and it was an opportunity for my daughter to see if she would like to learn how to scuba dive. This excursion was about five hours so they did not return to the ship until about a half hour before final boarding.
Read dsa181920's full Norwegian Escape cruise review
Member Image parkeramjc
Jul 2016
The 2 tank dive crew were amazing. My wife and older child did the dive and were waited on hand and foot. They could not have been more accommodating. I highly recommend if you dive take the 2 tank dive.
Read parkeramjc's full Norwegian Sky cruise review
Member Image Katmac1957
Jun 2016
Stewart Cove was the dive center used and they did a great job. A comfortable mini bus picked us up and everybody there was great.
Read Katmac1957's full Norwegian Escape cruise review
Member Image Mctiff24
Apr 2016
IT had been awhile since I have dived and they took care of us well. Only about 6 of us on the excursion. Saw big turtle, sharks, coral, fish etc. Great time!
Read Mctiff24's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image Cruising Cindy Lou
Sep 2015
Dive Master did not go down and stay with divers. He told them to buddy up and stay in the area. Going down deep is dangerous and he should have been with the divers.
Read Cruising Cindy Lou's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image cardbucfan
Aug 2015
Long drive to other side of Nassau to get to Stuart's Cove. Equipment that was issued was faulty (DS20's depth gauge didn't work which made the other equipment suspect) and the dive master was very disengaged. We had to swim HARD like he had an agenda. It felt like a forced march. The coral was bleached and not very healthy looking.
Read cardbucfan's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image BonesDoc
Mar 2015

Rough seas, should have been cancelled, but Stuart cove's was not about the coustomer but the dollar.

Read BonesDoc's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image getcluedin
Mar 2015

My husband did the scuba diving through Disney and thank God it was through them because they did not make the all aboard time but lots of crew members were with him. It made me nervous when they called me at the pool looking for him. Yikes! If you get off the boat for a long excursion make sure it is through Disney.

Read getcluedin's full Disney Dream cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image Sophieni209
Feb 2015

Never again. What they don't tell you is that the wetsuit is extra (water temp 24 deg when I was there). The bus ride is fairly scary and takes about 40 minutes from the quay to the dive shop. I felt like a processed piece of meat. Dive company is Stuart Cove - my advice is book ahead with any other dive company and I am sure you will get a better deal. $165 for 2 short dives is a total rip-off!

Read Sophieni209's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image LivingLifetotheFullest
Dec 2014

Nassau - Four family members had the best scuba experience (through NCL) My brother who has snorkeled 300 times, rated this as one of the best he has ever done.They did two dives and were impressed by not only what they saw, but by the professionalism of the master divers.
Three of us chose to walk from the Ship to the Straw Market and then down to Junkaroo Beach and the Fish Fry. As you walk away from the pier, you will be hounded by locals trying to convince to take their tours etc. The straw market is about 50 or more little booths with basically the same thing. The Beach is nothing special.... but is was an easy walk and free. The Fish Fry is a street with several restaurants specializing in seafood.... mostly conch fritters and conch salad. We had both at Twin Brothers and it was excellent. The greeting of the NCL staff as we came back to the Ship was fun and energetic. People going back to the ship next to ours were intrigued and wanted to join our party.

Read LivingLifetotheFullest's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image F18Pilot
Oct 2014

. Carnival offered a 2 tank excursion through Stuart Cove’s Diving. Once again the dive shop is located on the other side of the island, so it was a good 35-40 min drive on a small bus. The facilities are very nice and they offer snorkeling and one-man “sub” dives. However, the cruise only had 12 spots for the dive and there were 14 of us on a VERY small boat. It was extremely cramped and crowded and we all complained. We had to get ready for dives in shifts of 3-4 due to no room for the tanks or BCs. There were no buckets for masks or camera equipment (don’t know where they would have put them). There really wasn’t enough room to sit, so several of us leaned or perched somewhere and tried not to fall off. There were 2 dive masters, but only one got in the water to keep track of everyone. Dive master, Nicholas, was very good and led us around on some nice dives. We dove the “Twin Sisters” which are two ships sunk together. Nicholas led us through one of the ships, open and easy, not a real shipwreck. Lots of reef sharks and large turtles were sighted. The second dive was the site of the James Bond Wrecks. These are the underwater sets for “Thunderball” and “Never Say Never Again.” The Vulcan Bomber, a steel frame with aircraft parts to create the illusion in “Thunderball,” is sitting in about 40 feet of water and is covered with coral, etc. Very nice with lots of marine life. Not far away, lies the landing craft from “Never Say Never Again” which sits in about 20 feet of water. The shallow dive gives you lots of bottom time to explore. Great vis and very large turtle (6-7 feet) spotted just taking a nap! Aside, from the great dive sites, the trip back to the shop was thankfully short. The trip back to the ship from the dive shop was not. We waited for an hour for people not on our cruise to make the return trip and subsequently made several stops to hotels to drop people off. So glad they could waste our time in port! The return easily ate up about 1 ½ hours of port time just waiting around. The only good thing was that it was a ship sponsored excursion, so we were guaranteed not to be left behind. I was not happy with the excursion company for their lack of planning. The boat was too small and on the brink of unsafe with 14 passengers, 2 dive operators and dive gear. The return trip on their van was excruciatingly long. We waited at the dive shop for an hour then another hour to drive and drop people off before returning to the ship.

Read F18Pilot's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image FL Hawk
Oct 2014

Nice, but would have preferred to have spent more time in a single location rather than moving the whole time.

Read FL Hawk's full Enchantment of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image WaterlooCruiser
Apr 2014

Booked with the cruise line because of the tight time lines but there were people on our bus who had booked directly with Stuart's Cove. Not sure how much of a price difference. Only complaint is that description of rental equipment according to NCL included a wetsuit which was not - $12 extra

Enjoyed the dive. 15 on our boat - but still good.

Read WaterlooCruiser's full Norwegian Breakaway cruise review
Member Image WaterlooCruiser
Apr 2014

Enjoyed the dive. 15 on our boat - but still good.

Read WaterlooCruiser's full Norwegian Breakaway cruise review
Member Image yamanx
Nov 2013

So much fun!!!!!!! This made our entire cruise worth it! You feel so safe doing it because they take you out in shallow water and have you go over emergency procedures that you learned in a class just 20 minute before. Only go to 25ft of water which was more than enough. I would recommend this to any and all of my friends!

Read yamanx's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Patthecruiser
Nov 2012
The vendor the ship used was very poor. The dive master could have cared less about the group and did not have safety in mind at all. They could have cared less also if they go us back to the ship on time (ropes were pulled from the dock) and we were the last ones to get on the boat.
Read Patthecruiser's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review