Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

St. Thomas Turtle Swim Excursion Reviews

St. Thomas Turtle Swim cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Plunge into the waters of St. Thomas with these pleasant reptiles on an exciting turtle swim excursion. These ecotherms may be cold-blooded, but they are sure to warm your heart!
Member Image Hoppy cruiser
Jun 2015
Fun crew and great time snorkeling. Saw plenty of beautiful fish and turtles. Loved sailing on a pirate ship!
Read Hoppy cruiser's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ddc1523
May 2015
Nice older sailboat. The captain was very knowledgeable and funny. Had never snorkeled before and he made it very easy. His first mate took extra time with my wife and daughter to make sure they were comfortable in the water. Nice smaller group (maybe 14). Saw many many turtles and sea rays
Read ddc1523's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Provider: Fury Charters
Member Image kibbles37
Apr 2015
This was a great excursion. It was with "The Cat". It was about a 30 minute ride on a Catamaran to Turtle Cove. We then snorkeled in about 20 feet of clear water. We saw a number of turtles. When the came to the surface to get air, they would swim right at us and then move around us. I got great photos. Our guides stressed not disturbing the turtles before we got in the water. They had a good focus on safety and took care of us. No alcohol was served until AFTER we finished snorkeling. I will do this excursion again.
Read kibbles37's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image beachmonkey
Apr 2015
The crew was a lot of fun, educated everyone about the safe use of equipment, plus some information about the turtles. The crew of the Cat were great. Seeing the turtles was a terrific choice. They are amazing to watch and there is also additional sea life that you can observe.
Read beachmonkey's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image gecoffie
Apr 2015
This was great. Our 22 year old daughter had always dreamed of swimming with turtles and we brought our snorkeling gear and made it a reality. There was also fish and coral area to view but this was great. After snorkel you head to honeymoon beach for an hour which was just relaxing. After the beach we were headed back where the crew had mixed drinks and sodas for everyone. What a great time. Would do it again.
Read gecoffie's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image eculmone
Mar 2015
Captain Nautica Captain Rick really knows the area and gave us good service. My daughter thought it was really fun and a great experience. Afterwards we had time to walk around the port and bought a drink and some art. Beer is cheaper in St. Marteen but fun
Read eculmone's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image JSi
Mar 2015
We got to port late, but were thankfully still able to take this excursion as planned. Finding the location was chaos due to the late arrival, as the whole ship was trying to get to port at the same time. The was about a thirty minute wait on the dock for our boat to arrive once we found our group, standing in the sun, so be sure your sunblock is on before you head out that day. It was a rough ride going over (no one actually got sick, but I think several of us were pretty close). The boat ride took a long time, maybe because of the sea conditions, but still, 40-ish minutes each way seemed like a long time for about 30 minutes of snorkeling. Perhaps it felt like it took longer because the ride was so rough. We did sea tons of turtles though, which was amazing. The water was cloudy, probably, again, just because the sea was rough, and also because it rained a bit on and off that afternoon during our excursion. If you're prone to sea sickness, take a dramamine or have your patch on, because I felt pretty horrible and didn't get as much of the (delicious, well mixed, highly potent) rum punch as i would have liked out of self preservation. The crew on the excursion, Gabriel, Chris, and Captain Mark, were all great. We had a really nice time, and would definitely do it again (but next time well dosed with dramamine).
Read JSi's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image nuzzi34
Mar 2015

We were on The Cat which took us out to Turtle Cove. The excursion was very crowded but we saw some turtles up close (one even surfaced right in front of my face!). I would recommended this for a once in a lifetime experience.

Read nuzzi34's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image cookroberts
Feb 2015

Always a great time! Pirate Ship Blackbeard's Revenge. In St. Thomas, we always book a Bones tour. Our son LOVED it! The sea was rocky for the hour out to the site (nobody's fault!). We had the option of the a.m. or p.m. tour and picked the p.m. It was a GREAT idea! The sun was setting on the way back and we got to see the cruise ship all lit up from our pirate ship.... stunning and beautiful.

Read cookroberts's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image primadonut
Jan 2015

Turtles were cool, snorkeling coral after was a bit lame but we had rough water. went on a pirate ship: the Doubloon. Great ship, nice staff, good rum punch. a bit of a sales pitch for shirts and tips at the end but it was still a good time.

Magen's Bay in the morning was phenomenal.

Read primadonut's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image emartini
Jan 2015

My favorite port was St. Thomas because it was really easy to get on and off the ship. We took an excursion on the Cat (Catamaran) to Turtle Cove and saw tons of turtles and other fish. When we got back, we took a short 5-10 cab ride to Frenchman's Reef (Marriott Resort) and hung out on their beautiful beach for the rest of the day.

Read emartini's full Norwegian Gem cruise review
Member Image cruznbuddies
Oct 2014

Good value for money, great catamaran, excellent time.

Read cruznbuddies's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Kao2293
Sep 2014

Turtle Cove Swim and Snorkel. Great excursion and worth the money. Catamaran was a very short walk (parked right next to our ship). Great crew and trusted them with my life (lol). Awesome scenery on the ride over. All of the guys were so informative too. Any question they new the answer to. Had plenty of time in the water, did not feel rushed. Saw some awesome fish and lots of turtles. One swam right up next to me for air I could have hugged it! Definitely recommend this tour. This is a good first time snorkel tour too, very laid back and calm.

Read Kao2293's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image getagrippe
Jul 2014

I have never snorkeled before and I had no idea what to expect. They boat you out to a cove where the water is very very clear and it's only 20 feet. You have the choice whether to walk in or jump off the boat. They teach you how to put on your mask and use the snorkel. There were kids 4 years old that were snorkeling up to 80 years old. I recommend it for families that want to snorkel but aren't sure if they will like it. I ended up loving it and i'm 18 years old! I know I wouldn't have loved it as much if we didn't have such a helpful crew. They were so caring, and really wanted our experience to be a great one. They showed us where the turtles, fish, and other sea creatures were. They were super helpful, and they made me feel comfortable. We saw a lot of turtles and fish, and they were so willing to come up to us humans. It's a great experience, and I would do it again.

Read getagrippe's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image mneely72
Apr 2014

This excursion was a blast. The crew on the Castaway Girl was awesome. We took a catamaran out to snorkel and swim with the turtles. Highly suggest this trip. Don't be turned off by 75-80 people getting on the catamaran there will be room on the bow once you do the safety briefing. It was a wonderful experience!!!

Read mneely72's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Member Image jjconvert39
Mar 2014

counter. No foot stool needed.
St. Thomas - Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel
We did this tour on March 31, 2014 with our kids, ages 4 1/2 & 7. I researched a lot to do with families and this seemed to fit. The boat is docked near the cruise ship so it was a quick walk. We were not a full tour so there was plenty of space on the boat. We sailed out to the turtle location and Brennan, Heather and Brittany went over the safety rules and instructions. Captain Chris was taking care of the boat. They had kid size masks and flippers or you can bring your own. They also had pool noodles if your kids wanted to use those as well. The kids did fine floating around in the water. They were afraid to put their faces in the water to see but a turtle did come to the surface for air so they got to see one. I personally saw 2 large turtles. Not sure about the others. There was also a lot of fish, and of course, coral to see. Since our group was not large, they also took us to a ship wreck right around the corner. That was very neat. The guides were also in the water with us to help look for things to point them out. Brennan gave us some info on the ship wreck. My older son did not want to snorkel at the shipwreck so he stayed on the boat with a few others and he was fine. Back on board we were served unlimited pop, rum punch or water and they had snacks,. It was a nice relaxing ride back to the ship. Overall, the 4 crew members were great. There was no speakers on the boat so no music, but the quietness was nice and made it more relaxing. Once back home I asked my younger son what his favorite was and he said the turtles.

Read jjconvert39's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image Nursetammy
Jan 2014

We booked the Sea Blaster swim with the turtles. The boat was ok but the name sea blaster should have been our first clue. They tell us to put all our things in a large plastic bag and then They haul butt to the turtle cove and completely drown you in the process- I thought my husband was gonna freeze to death. You have to put your face mask on to keep wAter off your eyes and forget not swallowing salt water - You can't help but swallow several cups of it as you try to keep from drowning on the trip out. Saw a few turtles and a few fish.

Read Nursetammy's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image matthewthamm
Nov 2013

The snorkeling with turtles on the Black Beards Revenge was fantastic. Snorkeling with turtles was on my wife's bucket list. Got that one marked off!! Great crew! Jim, Val and Kip do a great job. Val is very knowledgeable about the island and the wildlife.
Be careful of the after-swim Pain Killers :-).
The boat was well maintained. The equipment provided looked good also. We didn't use it as we had our own. The crew did provide a rinse for our equipment after the snorkel (soap and fresh water).
We took this tour at 8:30. We were able to walk around the town or tour the ship afterwards. We did the ship and a nap :-)

Read matthewthamm's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image yamanx
Nov 2013

We did the power snorkeling with the turtles and it was one of the best times of my life! The people running the excursion were absolutely FANTASTIC and could not have asked for anything better.

Read yamanx's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image attyCarol
Jan 2013

My teens were amazed with the experience of snorkeling and swimming with the turtles. I just think it is a bit pricey for the price we paid. Also, my daughter had to bring her own snorkel instead of using the same mouth piece used by everybody else, unfortunately, she left it and nobody from their crew returned it, unlike at St. Maarten, where the scuba instructor gave me back the snorkel left by one of the girls.

Read attyCarol's full Norwegian Gem cruise review
Member Image chesapeake_traveler
Dec 2012
Snorkeling and Turtle Swim was on the same excursion. It was great. Also, loved the rum punch.
Read chesapeake_traveler's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image mansellcat
Dec 2012
Black Beards Revenge, the best adventure I have ever done. Staff are fantastic, made the adventure so much fun, dancing, music, punch and great attitudes and professional. Didn't like the shopping in St.Thomas, vendors are too pushy, have too many people outside their stores begging people to come inside.
Read mansellcat's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image 3cansup
Dec 2012
The Cat was the catamaran tour we were on for the turtle swim. The crew was fun! We even saw several turtles!
Read 3cansup's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image lhdive
Nov 2012
Great excursion. The crew on the sail boat really like their jobs and it shows. Would recommend to anybody
Read lhdive's full Adventure of the Seas cruise review