Ocho Rios Jamaica for a Day Excursion Reviews

Ocho Rios Jamaica for a Day cruise excursion
Overall Rating
You're in store for a fantastic get-away when you visit the Ocho Rios port on a Jamaica for a Day excursion. With beautiful views and delicious food, you may not want to leave!
Member Image laur2121212
Apr 2015
This was My Jamaican Home for the Day. Awesome!!! Short bus ride, nice driver and tour guide, Wonderful beach, only the 8 of us tourists and 5 staff. Perfect weather, nice villa to duck in to use clean bathroom, veranda was nice, comfy, and staff was awesome! Jerk chicken or fish with coleslaw and beans and rice for lunch and any drink you wished served to you icy cold and in the water if you wished! Nice excursion!
Read laur2121212's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image BeachinBeauty
Mar 2015
If I could rate this excursion higher, I would! We booked independently through Resort for a Day. We paid $90 per adult to be brought to an all inclusive, 18+ resort in Ocho Rios. The resort was called the Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort. The $90/pp. rate included transfer from the cruise ship to the resort, use of beach and pool chairs and towels, all you can eat food from their venues and unlimited drinks, both alcoholic and otherwise. After the day was over, we were returned to the shopping center nearest the port. The shuttle was very, extremely nice. The driver, courteous. He told us a bit about Jamaica on the way. The resort was a well-kept paradise. It felt like I was in a movie. There were two large pools. I didn't even notice the second pool until it was almost time to go, though. We stayed in the one with the swim up bar. I'm not sure if they both had one, or not. I ordered Bob Marleys (a MUST try!) all day The restroom was clean. I will note that we experienced on and off rainshowers and whatever tile they use becomes very slippery when wet. I almost fell multiple times walking in flip flops. I really felt like a princess here. There were two ladies selling goods on the beach and we kind of got caught off guard. Ended up spending $100 in a short amount of time. Next time I will know to avoid walking onto the beach on that side, or just don't bring my purse! I'm not good at saying no :) Bottom line, if you don't have kids, do this. If you do have kids, they have a similar resort through the same company that does allow children but offers the same perks (food and alcohol included).
Read BeachinBeauty's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Jamaica Tours
Member Image
Mar 2015
We went through Resort for a Day and found the all-inclusive Jewel Runaway Bay Beach Resort. What an amazing place! It seriously rained - and I mean RAINED - the entire time we were in Jamaica. The weather had us dock at Ocho Rios, not Falmouth, but the company found us and took us over to the beach. This was an all-inclusive day, and the bars were all over, but we ended up paying for a cabana next to the water park just to have shelter from the rain! The staff was just so friendly - smiley, happy to see you, and would do anything. We LOVED the water park - our kids are 6 & 7 and spent hours in the lazy river during a rain storm. :) It wasn't too crowded. The food was just okay, but everything else (drinks, property, cleanliness, amenities, etc...) were excellent. We are contemplating skipping the cruise and going to this place for a week next year it was that great... even in the rain. :)
Read's full MSC Divina cruise review
Provider: Resort for a Day
Member Image JUST TRIPPIN'
Feb 2015

Our first time visiting Jamaica. We didn't know what to expect as we had heard that this port can be a little intimidating. We personally had a great time here. The weather was overcast and it rained periodically but it was still a port we really enjoyed. We booked with Resort for a Day online and would do so again.
We went to Jewel Runaway Bay. Transportation was included and it was simple finding the shuttle driver. We enjoyed a long day at the resort and were back to the ship in plenty of time. The resort had a great beach area and a nice swim up bar. Unfortunately with the weather we used neither.
We finally got to try jerk chicken. There was a grill setup where you could try jerk chicken, pork, burgers, wraps or even salad. We loved it. Really hot for me, but my wife who loves spicy said she could eat that every night for supper.
Without a shadow of a doubt, Jamaicans are the nicest, friendliest people you could ever meet. Sure you can't understand a word they are saying most of the time, but they are always smiling and saying and asking you if you are having a good time. Loved this place and would like to return for a longer stay.

Read JUST TRIPPIN''s full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Provider: Resort For a Day
Member Image asumatty
Apr 2014

Booked this online, an all-inclusive day in Jamaica. Resort was literally half a mile from the ship dock, and from the resort we could see the ship all day. The resort itself was very nice, plenty of pool space, plenty of space to lay out on beach. By 12noon, chairs were harder to come by, but not impossible like on the ship.

Food was excellent and drinks were ok. Had many draft Red Stripes that hit the spot, as the liquor drinks were not made with quality liquor. In the lobby, there is a bar with TV's, they have a better selection of liquor.

Transportation to and from was included.

Definitely would book this again.

Read asumatty's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Provider: Jamaica Sunset Grande
Member Image Loan Witch
Dec 2012
Jamaica needs to get its garbage cleaned up. We saw a burned out tour bus along the side of the road and were practically ambushed at one stop by bead sellers. This is one island where you need to be very careful.
Read Loan Witch's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image deetravel
Nov 2012
We were a little concerned about Jamaica, as we had read a lot of worrying reviews about Ocho Rios. We booked a day at the Jewell Dunns River Resort. For $65 we got access to the entire resort facilities, including food and beverages all day. We booked through an online agency that specializes in these types of trips. One mistake we made was to not book the optional roundtrip bus transfer from the pier to to the resort; this turned out to be a mistake. The pier in Ocho Rios is very chaotic, and the staff there make it really difficult to get a taxi or arrange your own transportation. They seemed really concerned when they found out we had a resort booking but had not booked the transfer. We could not get a taxi to take us, and the Pier staff ended up radioing the excursion driver to come pick us up, and we were able to pay him cash for the transfer. They really didn't seem to want you wondering around, or negotiating cab fare on your own. The Jewell Dunns River was fantastic, the beach is small but the Sand is lovely and the water warm. We had no trouble finding a shady spot on the beach. The staff were great coming around to offer drinks, and Spa treatments, towels were provided and the food at both the Buffet, and beach grill was really good. The Pools were really nice, and seemed to have a lot of fun activities. We liked it so much we did not want to leave, and are thinking about booking a stay here in the future.
Read deetravel's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review