Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Cozumel Salsa & Salsa Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Salsa & Salsa cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Become completely immersed in Latino culture as you learn the fiery dance, Salsa, in Cozumel!
Member Image TARRA
May 2015
A beautiful hotel, fantastic views of the clear blue water. Learning how to make margaritas, salsa, and then learning the salsa dance....great fun! Highly recommended tour....especially if you like margaritas!!!
Read TARRA's full Carnival Splendor cruise review
Member Image lupy49
Apr 2015
Outstanding! Had a great time. Would do this one again. Instructors were friendly and entertaining. We had such a good time. Husband had mobility issues so this wad perfect. We didn't have to stay for the Salsa dancing so we had extra time to shop!
Read lupy49's full Disney Magic cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image 7960Ken
Apr 2015
For one thing, this tour should not be given as an early morning option. They start with margaritas at 9:15! Being from Texas, I felt like I knew as much about salsas as the instructors. The dance part of the tour was not very helpful either. I had hoped to get a real dance lesson, but the local YMCA has better dance classes. We were scheduled for a 4 hour tour, but ended up back at the port in less than 2.5 hours.
Read 7960Ken's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image mykcrealtor
Apr 2015
While at Cozumel during a cruise we had the opportunity to experience Salsa and Salsa. I was traveling with my husband, our 10 year old daughter, and my 65 year old mother. We normally do more adventure-oriented activities, but I'm so thankful we opted for a more laid back day! We were in stitches all day! We made several salsas, which you could tailor to your heat (spice) preference, a guacamole dip, and a couple margarita variations. All were excellent in taste, and I'm anxious to try the recipes at home. Then, we learned a few salsa dance combinations. The facilitators were very lively, and kept the day's activities upbeat and light-hearted. It was very hot during the dancing portion- more than just my dance moves- as the facility is not air-conditioned (rather, it has partially open sides with an amazing beach view). I wouldn't say I specifically recommend this attraction for children, but as the only child traveling with adults, my daughter fit-in and really enjoyed herself. The staff was very attentive to her, keeping her glass of non-alcoholic margaritas and fruit juice full all day and giving her some special "tasks" such as judging a fun little dance competition. My daughter loves cooking and is a dancer, so her experience might not be typical of all children.
Read mykcrealtor's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image bam613
Mar 2015
Salsa, Salsa, Margarita....need one say more? :) A wonderful time, made better by the great ladies (Laurie & Lisa) who were our instructors! A very warm and inviting atmosphere, learn to make about 8 difference salsas and 2/3 different margaritas' then...eat along with fresh chips, taquitos, quesidillas. Don't worry, the waiters are strolling around filling up your glass while you are 'cooking'. Salsa instruction afterwards to funny :)
Read bam613's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image sumismom
Mar 2015
Cooking and mixing were wonderful, with non-alcoholic options for the kids and non-drinkers. Pool time at the resort across the street was terrific. Shuttle service to and from the port took awhile for our tour coordinator to organize, but worked fine and was safe.
Read sumismom's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image CCRCC
Mar 2015
Groups of 8 went by taxi to a hotel/resort. There were 150 of us from 3 different ship. Sat at tables for 8 and got instructions on making 5 salsas and 1 guacamole with ingredients already cut, etc. for us. Made two, plain and strawberry, margaritas. They refilled all you wanted. Really made it fun and interesting and tasted great. Tried to teach us to Salsa dance, but after all that, not many did very well. But lots of fun! Very well organized. Had the option to stay at the resort for the pool or beach, but we elected to taxi to town and went to Las Cinco Soles and Pancho's Backyard for tequila, shopping and eating. Very nice place. Took taxi back to pier.
Read CCRCC's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Grey Bearded Boy
Feb 2015
This was our third visit to Salsa & Salsa at our third location. We have now done the Salsa & Salsa experience in Mazatlan, Cobo, and Cozumel. We will be doing it again in Mazatlan this spring.
Read Grey Bearded Boy's full Grandeur of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Summerwind54
Jan 2015

The description on board ship was accurate. There were 4 in our party and we all enjoyed the event. There was hands on salsa making with fresh ingredients and excellent instruction. We made 6 types of salsa including a fruit dessert salsa. We ate this over vanilla ice cream. Yum! Margaritas were served frozen and on the rocks. There were non- alcoholic versions for those unable to imbibe. We learned how to make strawberry and traditional margaritas. After partaking of the drinks, salsas, chips, and other Mexican foods, there was dancing. The chefs taught the class how to salsa dance! What a great trip! Would highly recommend.

Read Summerwind54's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image meganh2496
Dec 2014

Definitely a good time and a good way to spend your time in Mexico! All you can eat chips and salsa and all you can drink margaritas; you didn't have to pay for lunch after the tour because you were already full! Very friendly staff; the vanilla bean ice cream was the best I've ever eaten! Probably our favorite tour on the trip.

Read meganh2496's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image CABandSLB
Nov 2014

Great excursion for the price! Easy on and off the ship at the pier allowed for shopping time before the start of the excursion. Tour organizers are easily located in the main square by well marked signs. Transport was easy, comfortable and very short in 8-passenger vans. Salsa/drink making was fun and very well organized including lots of tasty treats to enjoy with gracious amounts of beverages including margaritas (both alcoholic & non-alcoholic), hibiscus tea (very tasty), and bottled water. The chefs were vivacious and fun and the table servers were attentive and very pleasant. The dance lessons were somewhat limited but still fun. Would have been nice to have had a bit more time to enjoy exploring the beautiful resort and pool area a bit. Also would be nice if they allowed you to keep the chef hat or apron as a memento of the experience. All in all a great excursion that includes lunch for under $50 and still allows a bit of time for exploring the port area before the ship sails.

Read CABandSLB's full Carnival Pride cruise review
Member Image creativegenius
Nov 2014

This was a bit of a weird one and really upset some of the passengers I met with as we sailed away. In all our cruises we’ve never had a situation where the captain decided to leave a port 2 1/2 hours EARLY. The original itinerary had us arriving around 10am and leaving at 7pm. Because we missed Grand Cayman, the ship was brought into Cozumel at 7am and the departure time was changed to 4:30pm. The early departure would have no effect on the ship based excursions but really messed up some privately booked excursions that were due to arrive back to the ship after 5pm. In particular I had been hearing a lot about what sounds like a really fun beer crawl on the other side of the island, but the passengers had to cancel out of the 11am departure time as they would have arrived back after 5pm. The excuse for the early departure the passengers I spoke to were given was that the “captain wanted to give the passengers extra time in Cozumel.” This actually makes no sense because it was about the same amount of time. But do you have any idea what is OPEN in Cozumel between 7am and 9am? Not a whole lot. So the first part of the morning was just a wasted time of the ship sitting at the pier with not a whole lot to do. In our case we had an 11am excursion booked and I had planned to just walk about Cozumel and do a little shopping afterwards. Since our excursion ended at 3:30 and got back to the ship at 3:45, we didn’t have any time. So first we missed Grand Cayman and then we got shortchanged by leaving a port 2 1/2 hour EARLY. You would think since we missed Grand Cayman, the ship would have stayed the extra time in Cozumel. I felt bad for my fellow passengers who lost out on their excursions by the move, but I guess the Captain felt as long as their own excursions were taken care of, they really didn’t care much about the private ones.

In our case, we did the Salsa and Salsa cooking excursion. It was quite fun, the margaritas started flowing the moment we walked into the door. Each table is set up for 8 folks and you do get a chance to have some fun and interact with your table mates. I was selected as one of the Table Captains.

First off, they showed us how to make two different Margaritas. All of the ingredients for the first one are on the table so you can make them along with the hosts. That one is a pretty strong margarita on the rocks. The second one is a blended strawberry margarita which two volunteers make and then they bring more to the tables. Then with the salsas, again, all of the ingredients are on the table and we learned how to make 6 different salsas. If you like drinking and eating salsa, this is definitely the place for you. They did a really good job entertaining and then at the end you learn a little salsa dancing. Towards the end of the dancing it did start to get a little warm inside the room so we just moved outside and enjoyed the breeze for the final 15 minutes of the event.

I will say it might have been nice if we at least made one salsa and had chips on the table before making the margaritas. We literally had 3 and 4 margaritas before any food was served so it got a little fun and interesting. :)

Read creativegenius's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Wargobaby
Oct 2014

For this port we booked the Salsa and Salsa through RCCL. We woke that morning with a slight bump as the boat docked. By the time the boat was cleared we were walking off and had plenty of time to browse the shops prior to our scheduled 10 am excursion time. Our group met at the designated place and we were ushered off two by two to awaiting van for a quick trip to the resort. Once all the seats around all the tables were full, we met our two cute and funny hosts. We were taught how to make two different types of Margaritas, after which our glasses were never empty; 6 different types of salsa (do not touch the pepper, use the fork) and then a workout learning to Salsa dance (where did everyone go??) There was plenty of food, drink, and dance to enjoy!

Read Wargobaby's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Jalatti
Sep 2014

I'm not sure why this excursion gets such good reviews - maybe it's the free flowing margaritas and the fact that they instruct you to rate them a ten before you leave!? A short taxi drive from the ship to a rather rickety resort with an open verandah - no air conditioning. One lady went to the restroom during the 10 minute break and fell down the stairs -we didn't see her, or her group after this. The margaritas were good the instructions were a bit hard to hear since we were in the far corner and the salsa was good as well. The desert salsa was the best.

Read Jalatti's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Razerbkfan
Sep 2014

Ok I know it sounds stupid but we hade a blast. We had about 130 in our group so they had it in a banquet room which actually we liked because it was cool. Got handed a marguerite when we walked in and the glass was never allowed to be empty. In addition to salsa they have plenty of finger foods so this will be your lunch for the day. Organizers were a lot of fun and kept things lively. Held at a nice resort and you can stay and use their pool/beach if you want to. I know everyone thinks they can save by booking outside but we really enjoyed that we were met at the dock taxi was arranged and included. They even arrange for taxi back to the ship so you are taken care of. Last piece of advice I stop in a bar at the dock area to catch up on wifi. If you order a beer it will cost you $3 but you get unlimited wifi. If you ask to just use wifi they charge $5

Read Razerbkfan's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image 50 State Traveler
Aug 2014

Our excursion was Salsa, Salsa, and Margaritas. There are 2 main downsides to this excursion. First, the ride to/from is in taxis. If you want to leave early, you have to have a taxi full of people (normally 8) before they will leave. Secondly, the room isn't air conditioned. They have fans blowing but in late August, it was still hot. Be prepared and ask for water, first thing. Otherwise, we really enjoyed the excursion. They provide chef hats and aprons. You divide into pairs and one person chops and the other mashes. 6 different salsas are prepared including guacamole, red,
green, pico de gallo, mango/melon, pineapple, and dessert salsa. They also serve small servings of cheese quesadillas and chicken taquitos. The margaritas aren't very strong so don't worry about getting drunk unless you drink a lot of them. All the food and drinks were good including the hibiscus tea. The host chefs were very entertaining and kept everything moving. It was fun.

Read 50 State Traveler's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image MikeMSD
Jul 2014

We did the Salsa & Salsa and Margaritas excursion in Cozumel. That was a great time. The tour operator arranged for taxis for us to the hotel bar that hosts the excursion. They did a good job of making sure groups rode together. First order of business upon arriving was to hand us margaritas. We were then topped off with fresh margaritas any time we ran low. Making the salsa was fun and I had a great time.

Read MikeMSD's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image krychek67
May 2014

All of it was good and you can definitely get enough Margaritas to have a good time...And making the Salsa was interesting as well as good to eat.

Read krychek67's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image donjocko
Apr 2014

We loved the Dancing Chefs. I love to cook so making the salsas was a lot of fun and oh so good. The Margaritas kept flowing which sort of helped when it came to trying to dance salsa. My hips just don't move like that!

Read donjocko's full Carnival Legend cruise review
Member Image 1happyhoney
Mar 2014

This was the best excursion! We had a fantastic time making salsa and a guacamole, drinking margaritas, learning how to salsa dance followed by an ocean swim on one of the most beautiful beaches ever.

Read 1happyhoney's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image skip.brandy
Feb 2014

FUN, FUN and more fun. Well worth it. The dancing chefs, couldn't have been any better, funny and witty. Made 7 salsas and 2 margaritas, salsa dancing after, and two hours in their pool.

Read skip.brandy's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image gsdfan
Jan 2014

What fun! We learned to make several types of salsa, several types of margaritas (with and without alcohol), and dance some salsa steps. The salsa was delicious (if I do say so myself), and the margaritas were highly drinkable [yes, I tasted everything I made :-)], and while I can't say I am now proficient at dancing the salsa, I do have a much better idea of where to begin when the opportunity presents itself! The additional feature I did not expect at all, is that we were able to have an incredible view of the ocean from the top balcony floor of the restaurant, so while we were "hard at work" it was in an incredible caribbean island open-air environment. The staff doing all the "training" were very entertaining as well as being good instructors, and they clearly enjoy conducting this type of "tour". The entire "tour" is about three hours; afterwards we had time to enjoy the town a bit before heading back to the ship. I must admit that we didn't linger in the town very long - I was ready for a nap after enjoying a couple of margaritas!!

Read gsdfan's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image JHappel
Dec 2013

Excellent fun 3 1/2 hours, gals and waiters were superb, highly recommend this!

Read JHappel's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image KFMCruiser
Jul 2013

Our favorite ! Amanda, Alex and Haley were three of the most exuberant fun Chefs/Dance Instructors. The salsa's we made and then got to eat along with the never empty Margarita drinks were fantastic. Everyone of the people on this excursion had the time of their lives. This was fun, educational and refreshing. We can't say enough about our fun filled 4 hours. It was just like Dancing with the Stars! After we even got some beach and water time. I wish that Carnival would advertise this better. It was a diamond excursion.

Read KFMCruiser's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image Eveie
Apr 2013

Friendly cooks and lots of drinks, if you like that. Mexico is Mexico, hot and stinky, what else can I say?

Read Eveie's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Auburn84
Mar 2013
A fun day from start to finish. Bottomles margaritas and some fun making our own salsas at the table.
Read Auburn84's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image SAFloresLyon
Mar 2013

Great fun. Plentiful margaritas and great variety of salsas were made. Our entire table had a blast even before the tequila was flowing.

Read SAFloresLyon's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image samiampsu
Feb 2013
Wonderful.
Read samiampsu's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image Islands7
Jan 2013
Without our young gal MC, this could have turned into a salsa mess getting drunk, then frustration with the dance lesson. She made it happen on the second floor with nice vistas. Staff all intense on good service. Very nice resort if you want to stay longer. Shopping at port so-so.
Read Islands7's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image travelergwen
Dec 2012
Probably one of the best ship-purchased shore tours we have ever done. The pace and timing were completely spot on and the two girls who were our instructors were fantastic. They were informative, fun and enthusiastic. This was one of our highlights on shore.
Read travelergwen's full Carnival Legend cruise review