Cozumel Amazing River & Cavern Explore Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Amazing River & Cavern Explore cruise excursion
Overall Rating
These remarkable caverns connected by underground waterways are sure to astonish you. Enjoy breath-taking stalagmites and other incredible forms that will bring a new appreciation to Cozumel's subterranean world.
Member Image Chee West
Sep 2016
5 star excursion, Mexico in general has a lot of unique places to see!
Read Chee West's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Lewies Parents
Sep 2016
The best excursion ever taken on a trip. This is a must do if you are fit enough to handle the walking and swimming.
Read Lewies Parents's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image RCLcruiser2012
Jul 2016
Wonderful experience.
Read RCLcruiser2012's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image shmeeveydr
Jun 2016
The Amazing Secret River was like nothing we had ever done before! Ladies, just know you will have to shower in front of others in your bathing suit, so be sure to wear one you are comfortable in and getting in and out of a wet suit in! Nico is who you want as your tour guide! Also, do something else either before or after unless you want to browse in the hot sun for about an hour and half after (not fun to us). Be sure to purchase (with cash) a cd for pictures. They are an amazing keepsake. They allowed us to have 2 for the price of 1, so be sure to ask!
Read shmeeveydr's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image juliaosborn
Jun 2016
Wonderful eco-tour and experience! Explored the natural underground river and enjoyed a light lunch before being taken back to the ferry.
Read juliaosborn's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image sean4776@hotmail.com
May 2016
Very neat swimming in the caves
Read sean4776@hotmail.com's full MSC Divina cruise review
Provider: MSC Cruises
Member Image mo the magnificent
May 2016
cavern was cool. Danielle was a great tour guide. Didn't like the fact that we wore wet suits that other people wore, not sure if they sanitized it at all. 8 hours is too long for an excursion. missed out on all of cozumel. boat to travel to playa del carmen then a van ride to the location. then another van ride to the next location. fun though. wouldn't do it again.
Read mo the magnificent's full Carnival Sensation cruise review
Member Image raleprice
May 2016
Underwater Caving and Snorkeling in Playa del Carmen!!!
Read raleprice's full MSC Divina cruise review
Provider: MSC Cruises
Member Image SnowbirdWannaB
Mar 2016
This should be on everyone's bucket list. The river and cave exploration is indescribable and unique. Just do it!
Read SnowbirdWannaB's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image AliciaRM
Feb 2016
If you only have money for ONE excursion, do this! It is the Amazing Secret River and it is the only NATURAL cavern in Playa del Carmen. It was an amazing experience. I would just say be cautious about booking with anyone but Carnival because you have to take a boat from Cozumel to the mainland and we were cutting it very close to the ship leaving us, but we had peace of mind because we booked with Carnival. Also, be aware that you should be comfortable in dark areas with stairs.
Read AliciaRM's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image Misty5757
Dec 2015
2nd time on this shore excursion. Incredible, Exciting, Beautiful--the best shore excursion we have ever taken. Do not do if you have balance issues or are claustrophobic. First a 30 minute crossing by boat to the mainland--then 20 minutes by minibus to the Rio Secreto area. You are suited up with wetsuits and water shoes and walk/swim in the cave--seeing wonderful cave formations. Will do it a 3rd time when we are back in the area.
Read Misty5757's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image theBrosher
Nov 2015
We booked this excursion with the cruise company because of the travel and time involved. Definitely not chancing missing our boat! We disembarked and immediately gone on the Mexico ferry to head over to Playa Del Carmen. There we walked a few blocks (not extensive at all) where we had a brief talk with our guides about what we could expect and complete our waivers. We then walked another couple blocks to board our air conditioned vans and head out to Amazing River. It was maybe only 20 minutes total in the van, and the bumpy jungle road they warned us about wasn't all that bad. The excursion into the cave and our guide were amazing. It was truly a sight to see. A meal was served after which was delicious. The only part we didn't enjoy was the $80 price tag if we wanted the pictures. Even $25 for 1 was not worth it to us. Instead, we tipped our guide. We will have those memories forever.
Read theBrosher's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image Stacy K.
Nov 2015
The boat ride over was very rocky but once we got off and met with the guides I felt fine. Pedro & Ruben were great!!!! Very informative about caves and the environment in the area. Lunch was great & the shopping could have been longer but was still good.
Read Stacy K.'s full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image jaguiarfl
Oct 2015
LOVED this excursion. One of my all time favorites. Being inside the cave was amazing. It was beautiful. The guide was patient and knowledgeable. It was more physically demanding that I anticipated, which was fine for us, but I'm not sure our kids (ages 7 and 11) would be able to do it. The lunch was very nice and tasty. Pictures are a bit pricey ($79) but just know that ahead of time. And there is no pressure to purchase them.
Read jaguiarfl's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image Hotlady2015
Jun 2015
The caves and underground river was amazing. It was cold at the beginning but we got adjusted quickly. We had great tour guides (Roberto and his colleague) were amazingly funny and understanding. We felt safe and amazed with the food as well.
Read Hotlady2015's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image csullivan55
Mar 2015
The experience over all was excellent. I am older so climbing through the caverns was at some points difficult for me to get my footing. My 14 year old grandson helped me a great deal. We had to wear wet suits and helmets so I would suggest to the people who wear glasses, leave them behind if you can. The helmet pushed down on my bi-focal and made it very hard for me to walk and they steamed over all the time. I could have seen well enough with out them and I wish they would have advised me not to wear them. The tour guide was very good and it is a very interesting and quite amazing experience. the lunch served after is just ok but I didn't book the excursion for the lunch so I would highly recommend this excursion.
Read csullivan55's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image love2ryd
Mar 2015
read reviews on this before leaving for the cruise. This was by far one of our favorite excursions we have done. Husband and 10 year old daughter loved it as well.
Read love2ryd's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image BigBendHiker
Mar 2015
Very good, uneven footing in cave, children under 10 may have trouble keeping up/falling. Highly recommended. Mandatory shopping time at end before return ferry.
Read BigBendHiker's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image academytim
Mar 2015

Great excursion. Very neat. Cozumel was the port we were least excited about going to since we had both been there before, but this was something neither of us had done, and we really enjoyed it. Definitely need to be reasonably mobile/agile. Pictures were on the pricey side, but we knew they would be going in and factored it into the cost of the excursion.

Read academytim's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image misterkevin
Nov 2014

Arriving in Cozumel was a different world from the previous destinations. From the last time I docked here 8 years ago, this place has really been built up! The areas immediately available to tourists are very much like the United States with business after business beckoning your patronage. I booked ‘The Amazing Secret River’ tour through my Carnival cruise and found it to be very well organized. We were escorted to a blue and yellow jet boat that loaded and embarked on the ten mile journey to Playa Del Carmen. This was the only time I felt queasy at sea. Playa Del Carmen, visited 23 years ago by me was shockingly modern. There’s a new outdoor mall with many upscale shops just like in the United States being built. I stopped into Starbucks for an iced espresso and my app worked on my phone in Mexico. It’s that seamless.

We took a van ride from Playa Del Carmen with 6 others from our ship and about 4 more people to the recently discovered Rio Secreto complex between Xel-ha and Xcaret on the multi-lane divided highway 407 running from Cancun to Tulum in the Mayan Riviera. Once on the property, there we rode another 35 minutes on a rough road to the coordination areas. Our group of 12 was led by a very gracious English-speaking guide who helped us with the whole experience. This is a natural wonder that is run by a very savvy management group. Between 300 and 400 people tour the 18 mile underground caves daily, generally in groups of 8-12. Admission on the Rio Secreto website is $109 per person with transportation, so Carnival isn’t marking this one up at all with the extra boat transfers from Cozumel.

After putting all of our belongings into lockers, we donned the optional half wet suits with aqua socks and lighted helmets, showered and then trekked through the jungle to the cenote opening of the cave system. The guide recommended walking sticks for the caves because they help with stability and give you a sense of the underwater cave floor beneath you. We stopped along the way for pictures by our photographer who accompanied our guide. Before entering the caves, a separate, optional stop included a blessing by a man acting as a Mayan priest with incense. We spent about 90 minutes in the cave itself, which was spectacular and definitely a highlight of my trip. It’s unbelievably cool and otherworldy there with all of the stalactites and stalagmites. You'll duck and swim a little along the way. It’s also potentially very dangerous, but we were in good hands. We ended the trip with a shot of a local cinnamon-anise liqueur and a pitch for the photos and packages. Since you can’t bring any cameras into the caves, these are your only options. They have a modern pavilion showing you pictures from your tour on little iPads and iMacs, (surprisingly sophisticated!) and the packages were available with pictures available singly for $25 a piece, an entire personalized CD of pictures of your group and 50 additional shots of the cave for $89, or for $119, the CD with 2 T-shirts and 2 bottles of liqueur. Ka-ching. The liqueur is delicious!

We finished with an all you can eat Mayan buffet of soup, vegetables, mini tacos and fruit. Drinks are extra, but the meal was adequate and filling. It gave us an opportunity to get to know our tour mates just a little better and fill out their feedback forms on how to make the experience better. I couldn't think of anything. They're doing pretty much everything right with this tour.

Read misterkevin's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image ejmmc17
Jul 2014

We took an excursion while we were in Cozumel. We picked the Secret River/Cave Diving excursion and it was AMAZING. This excursion is on the pricier side but i wholeheartedly recommend you take this trip if you can. You're put in a small group (under 10) and your guide takes you underground to explore an 18 mile cave system that was discovered just 7 years ago. You only explore a mile or so of the cave but that is still plenty. The cave is almost entirely natural and untouched. At the cave openings there are stairways but otherwise the cave is natural and lit only by the flashlight on your helmet. Our guide Carlos was great, friendly, knowledgable, funny. This was probably the best part of our trip. Really the only downside is that the was is a bit cold but you get a wetsuit which helps quite a bit. If you are unsure about which excursion to take please take this one, you won't regret it. Also the port is pleasant.

Bottom Line: Take this excursion!

Read ejmmc17's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image Sneeserfleeser
Jan 2014

Very fun and interesting trip exploring a cave. They fit you with wetsuits as the water is cold. You wade and swim through this cave. Lunch afterward was good.

Read Sneeserfleeser's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image mattie10
Oct 2013

We were going to do the cave tubing in Belize, but decided on this instead. This is a great tour. It is very natural, not commercialized. We were so close to all the formations, There were places to walk through, almost crawl through, and swim through. We really enjoyed the beauty. The only negative was the travel time to and from. It took approximately 1 3/4 hours each way. Make sure to do this through the cruise ship and not privately. We were an hour late getting back. Do not do this tour if you have any health issues or have trouble walking. There was and older lady with us that was in a wheel chair the rest of the cruise because she hurt her foot.

Read mattie10's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image Chappy3
Jun 2013

Great trip although the photos at $70 were quite expensive. Several pics that were taken were missing from the disk.

Read Chappy3's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image boxman75
Feb 2013
This was one of the coolest experiences of my life! If you are afraid of tight spaces or the dark, I would not recommend this tour for you, otherwise, get out and see what the underworld has to offer! I have toured caves in the past (Carlsbad, NM, some in TN, etc.) and none compared to this experience! The caves in Playa Del Carmen at the Amazing Secret River were only discovered in 2007 and opened to the public in 2008. The guides and the government take great pain to ensure that guests respect the natural habitat and go out of the way to ensure your safety. The sheer beauty of what you will see on this tour is beyond words (in my opinion). You cannot take your personal cameras into the cave (waterproof or not) because they do not want you leaving ANYTHING behind in the caves. This is to keep the place safe and prevent it from becoming like some of the pools in Yellowstone, clogged with trash! The photos that their professional photographers take are incredible and very well done. UNFORTUNATELY, the prices charged for these photos are VERY excessive and will likely turn many off. Our guide was brilliant, spoke perfect English, and was very patient and helpful. Overall, the best tour of the cruise by far! I would DEFINITELY do this one again!
Read boxman75's full Carnival Magic cruise review