Cozumel Amazing River & Cavern Explore Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Amazing River & Cavern Explore cruise excursion
Overall Rating
These remarkable caverns connected by underground waterways are sure to astonish you. Enjoy breath-taking stalagmites and other incredible forms that will bring a new appreciation to Cozumel's subterranean world.
Member Image Wendy O
Feb 2017
This was an amazing excursion! Listed as the Underground Mayan River excursion. It is a very long day, with a 45 minute ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa de Carmen and then a van ride to the area in which we'd be snorkeling. Bring towels and bathing suits and water shoes. Skip the sunscreen (bad for the environment and we were mostly in the shade or in caves) and swim fins aren't allowed due to the delicate formations in the caves. Snorkel, mask, waterproof flashlight and PFD provided or bring your own. Not a bad place to have a waterproof camera, either. Large lockers are available to rent for $3 as you won't bring anything with you into the caves except the aforementioned equipment. The underground river is truly amazing with many, many formations of stalactites, stalagmites, and columns, slowly developed over thousands of years. Our guide, Reuben, was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor; an excellent leader for our excursion. Plenty of photo ops in the caves or you can buy photos from the onsite photographer ($20 each, printed on a souvenir 8x10 sheet.) we had plenty of time to explore two different caves before returning to the main area for a lunch of tacos, rice, beans, fruit, and soft drinks. Plenty of food, all you could eat, delicious. Finally, there was a tequila tasting of organic tequilas from a family manufacturer - fun, but they really wanted to sell you the (fairly expensive but good) tequila. If you bring kids on this excursion, this is where the boredom sets in for them. Once back on the van, we returned to the Playa de Carmen area for an hour or two of shopping time. Quite frankly, we were so tired that shopping was the last thing we wanted to do, but there was only one ferry back to the ship that we could take; the shopping time is obviously forced on you to help out the merchants. We got back to the ship right before the all aboard time, after a pretty choppy ferry ride back. Bring plenty of tip money for your guide, van driver, lunch staff, etc. We were incredibly happy with Reuben and Roberto, our two guides on the trip and thought this was one of the best excursions we've ever taken.
Read Wendy O's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image DaveC2
Feb 2017
Interesting snorkeling and saw a medical emergency. The crew did well.
Read DaveC2's full Harmony of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Carmenjacobson
Feb 2017
This was the best! Nadia, our tout guide was so awesome. It was amazing. I never felt claustrophobic or scared. Just beautiful.
Read Carmenjacobson's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image rbazor
Feb 2017
This is a must do if you can handle it. It is a little physically challenging, but totally amazing. We will do this again.
Read rbazor's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image Vacapone
Feb 2017
This was truly amazing and a really neat adventure, I rated it a 4 only because in is physically demanding for older less limber guests. It is a must do if you understand those demands and you don't mind a few scraps and cuts.
Read Vacapone's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image iamscottie
Jan 2017
Well, the experience with the shore excursion staff on the ship was appalling as always.. but the people running the Rio Secreto were a pleasure! They were informative and made you feel safe as you swam through the bowels of these deep dark caves. We saw bats, spiders, and all sorts of stalactites/stalagmites. The water is a bit "refreshing" and there is a 100% humidity. It was one of the most interesting excursions I've taken.
Read iamscottie's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image ladydi123
Jan 2017
Awesome,,,,, would do it again in a heartbeat. We were disappointed we couldn't take our camera, but they took pictures for you and sold you one for 25.00 or a zip drive for 99.00.. 131 pictures on the drive. Awesome.
Read ladydi123's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image agibbs
Jan 2017
Really enjoyed this, our guide Joshua was excellent and we got a nice lunch afterwards. Would recommend.
Read agibbs's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image acornsaretasty
Jan 2017
We took a ferry to the mainland (very rocky, and getting off the ferry took a while due to the rough seas, but we were told this was unusual), then drove to Rio Secreto. The tour took about an hour or so, followed by lunch. It was a wonderful experience and everyone in our tour group had a great time.
Read acornsaretasty's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image MLevin
Jan 2017
Book through the cruise line. This is an ALL day excursion. Don't risk running late and being left at port. There were so many choices for excursions but we really wanted to see a cave. We therefore selected the Amazing Secret River excursion. KUDOS to the tour operator for a well-organized excursion. Again, we were on the first ferry to the main land to meet our tour. Once on Cozumel we were met by Vero and Miguel. They broke us into 4 groups for the duration of the tour. We were escorted to nice air-conditioned vans to travel to Rio Secreto. This is an AMAZING place. The cave and Secret River is one of the largest aquifers in the world. Our tour leader was Jorge. To be honest, I was terrified about this excursion. I am claustrophobic and have asthma. I was worried that I would get freaked out or have an asthma attack when we were down in the cave. I mentioned this to Jorge. He comforted me and let me know he was a certified cave diver as well as a paramedic. He encouraged that I bring my inhaler just in case. As we started the tour in the cave he kept me close by and checked on my frequently. After about 10 minutes I assured him I was ok and thanked him. He also kept another participant who did not know how to swim close by too. We all had life vests on but he wanted to ensure she felt safe. Safety is their number one priority. From ensuring we had the proper gear on (life vests and helmets with lights), they checked our equipment before we headed down to the cave. Once in the cave we traversed through looking at all the stalagmites and formations. We waded and floated through the water. The entire time a photographer followed us, snapping photos. While I would have loved to have my gopro with us, it is not allowed. Focus on where we are walking, making sure we are safe is the priority. The rock formations are sharp; there are rocks and some odd drops…that is why no cameras are allowed. Made sense to me. This is an outstanding excursion. I HIGHLY recommend it. One note: wear a bathing suit. Once family on the excursions for some reason did not wear or bring swimsuits. Not sure what they were thinking knowing we were going into water in a cave. Fortunately there was an option to wear a wet suit. (we chose not to wear a wet suit). Because it is a natural aquifer, you are required to “shower” before you go into the cave. So don’t even bother putting on sunscreen or bug spray. You will need to wash it off. After the cave exploration, they serve lunch. YUMMY. We have rice, beans, soup, pork, juice, fruit and salad. You also have an option to purchase the photos that were taken. We bought them and I am happy we did. Sure, some will complain about he cost…but……I wanted to capture the excursion. After lunch we were transported back to the shopping area of Cozumel. We had about 2 hours of free time before the scheduled ferry back to the island and our ship. The shopping time created some “issues” and anger from some. It was mentioned in the tour description that this tour included shopping in Play Del Carmen. For free time, you could shop, hang out at bar/restaurant or the beach. The ferry was a chartered ferry for LOS and was part of the cost of the excursion. The good news is the ferry held 300+ passengers and even though we were on the last one and it was 45 minutes late to the ship….the ship waited for ALL of us to get back. The bad news, it was the only option unless you wanted to take a public ferry and pay the difference. So just make sure you read the full description of the excursions you book rather than waste time/energy complaining.
Read MLevin's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Jsenter
Dec 2016
Second favorite shore excursion. The caves were breath taking. The water was cold so you wear a wetsuit. The caves were dark but you have a light on top of your helmet. I would highly recommend this tour!
Read Jsenter's full Eurodam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image lggsz
Dec 2016
Great experience, but I would not recommend this for someone who is overweight or out of shape.
Read lggsz's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image RandaRoo
Dec 2016
I especially like this tour because we were split into Spanish and English groups to keeps things moving. This is a long tour after a long jet boat ride (45 min) from the ship in Cozumel to the main land of La Playa del Carmen. Great value though, cave swimming, eating a delicious provided lunch in a cave, a very informative Tequila tasting (bring at least $50 to buy the cheapest bottle. Totally worth it, we got two), and shopping on 5th ave. Don't expect to visit Cozumel though if you are doing this excursion, we had to get right back on the ship when we got back.
Read RandaRoo's full Empress of the Seas cruise review
Member Image derekburgan
Dec 2016
Everything about the caves is impossible to describe and something everyone should experience. The negative was that my girlfriend developed a rash on the parts of the body where she was wearing a wetsuit. We've read some reviews before going in where people experienced the same. That said, I didn't get a rash nor did two others in our group we talked to afterwards.
Read derekburgan's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image drbriney
Nov 2016
This is a tough one to explain my rating. As for the cave, guide and experience itself....it was one of the best that our family has ever done. The problem.....our whole family developed "foliculitis" (skin infections that look like hundreds of pimples on our skin) from the poorly sanitized wetsuits and helmets. We figured this out because our son brought his own wetsuit and only developed these lesions on his face where the straps of the helmet touched. The rest of us had it on our thighs shoulders and faces. $400 later from the dermatology visits and a week of embarrassing unsightly lesions on our skin definitely didn't make this excursion worth it. I would recommend only if you bring your own wetsuits and helmets.
Read drbriney's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Cruise.Hound
Oct 2016
This was one of the best tours I ever took. Our tour guide Danielle was passionate about is job and it showed.
Read Cruise.Hound's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Mom of 6
Sep 2016
We loved this tour! The cave is so untouched and beautiful! We were given wet suits, life jackets, lighted helmets, and walking sticks, and led down a jungle path to the entrance of the cave where we waded through an underground river of gorgeous blue water past incredible cave formations. Our guide was knowledgeable and helpful, and although we had to swim through some deep areas, it was not difficult or frightening. We saw fish and bats in the cave. On our way out of the cave hiking along the jungle path I saw a blue morphos butterfly in the wild. That was a highlight for me. The luncheon after was delicious. We loved our experience. It was our teen boys' favorite excursion of the trip. My only complaint is since cameras are not allowed in the cave, the pictures they took of us were too expensive to buy, so we have none.
Read Mom of 6's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Chee West
Sep 2016
5 star excursion, Mexico in general has a lot of unique places to see!
Read Chee West's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Lewies Parents
Sep 2016
The best excursion ever taken on a trip. This is a must do if you are fit enough to handle the walking and swimming.
Read Lewies Parents's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image RCLcruiser2012
Jul 2016
Wonderful experience.
Read RCLcruiser2012's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image shmeeveydr
Jun 2016
The Amazing Secret River was like nothing we had ever done before! Ladies, just know you will have to shower in front of others in your bathing suit, so be sure to wear one you are comfortable in and getting in and out of a wet suit in! Nico is who you want as your tour guide! Also, do something else either before or after unless you want to browse in the hot sun for about an hour and half after (not fun to us). Be sure to purchase (with cash) a cd for pictures. They are an amazing keepsake. They allowed us to have 2 for the price of 1, so be sure to ask!
Read shmeeveydr's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image juliaosborn
Jun 2016
Wonderful eco-tour and experience! Explored the natural underground river and enjoyed a light lunch before being taken back to the ferry.
Read juliaosborn's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image sean4776@hotmail.com
May 2016
Very neat swimming in the caves
Read sean4776@hotmail.com's full MSC Divina cruise review
Provider: MSC Cruises
Member Image mo the magnificent
May 2016
cavern was cool. Danielle was a great tour guide. Didn't like the fact that we wore wet suits that other people wore, not sure if they sanitized it at all. 8 hours is too long for an excursion. missed out on all of cozumel. boat to travel to playa del carmen then a van ride to the location. then another van ride to the next location. fun though. wouldn't do it again.
Read mo the magnificent's full Carnival Sensation cruise review
Member Image raleprice
May 2016
Underwater Caving and Snorkeling in Playa del Carmen!!!
Read raleprice's full MSC Divina cruise review