Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Freeport Banana Boat Excursion Reviews

Freeport Banana Boat cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Banana boats—a great way to enjoy the water while having a blast. Just don't be afraid of getting wet!
Member Image lizzo4477
Jun 2015
We took a Banana Boat cruise located near the Grand Lucayan Resort. The cruise was $30 pp and lasted about an hour. The guide gave a tour of the area and threw everyone off the boat in front of Oprah's house. This was the highlight of the tour for my two boys!
Read lizzo4477's full Carnival Fascination cruise review
Member Image Cruiserforlife39
Not Rated
Feb 2015

We decided to visit the Grand Lucayan resort and purchase a day pass for everyone in my family. We saw the prices for beach break excursions and decided to do our own thing on our own time. We got a taxi for $10 round trip which was a short trip to the resort. DO NOT let the taxis dicate where you want to go, tell them exactly where you want to go. They get kickbacks for taking you to other beaches so that you can pay to visit those beaches. When you arrive at the Grand Lucayan, go to the security gate where you can purchase the day passes. We paid $15 per person to use their private beach and swimming pools. Absolute beautiful property. Crysal clear water and plenty of beach chairs to lounge. They have a bar onsite but it only takes credit cards. We took a stroll down the beach to Billy Joels, a local bar right on the beach which has good prices for drinks. They make a very strong Bahama Mama for a decent price.They also have food, but we did not try. They have some people asking if you want to do a banana boat ride, parasailing, etc... We were hesitant at first but finally did the banana boat. Boy, was it worth it! We paid $25 per person for a 30 minute tour. They will flip you over 3-4 times but will also take you sight-seeing to a lagoon near some beautiful multi million dollar houses. You will also get to sneak peek at some dolphins. This was the best $25 ive ever spent, pure entertainment. After we left the resort, we ate lunch at the Grand Lucayan marketplace which offers a chance to eat lunch and shop. We ate at The After Deck bar and grille.Let me start off by telling you that this place is very expensive while offering average food.They really overcharge tourists for things as simple as fish and chips and BLT sandwiches.I would say to take snacks or just wait to eat on the ship. The marketplace itself is very nice with nice shops and plenty of bars around to quench your thirst. If you want to hang out near the ship, there is a Senor Frogs and Fat Tuesdays right outside the ship. Senor Frogs seems like the hot spot to be, plenty of party goers.There are also some locals selling cheap beer and drinks too. Altogether, Freeport was a great, fun port.

Read Cruiserforlife39's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image rapunzel18
Jan 2013
Awesome. There were 2 captains onboard. One named all the interesting birds and nests we saw, and seeing the pelican island was amazing. Also, watching dolphins in their natural habitat was great, as well as the manatees. We really enjoyed this tour.
Read rapunzel18's full Carnival Miracle cruise review
Member Image TriKnight
Dec 2012
5 for the boat crew (thanks, guys!), 1 for Carnival of an inaccurate description of the excursion.
Read TriKnight's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image scarlabrown@gmail.com
Oct 2012
This was a last minute descision. As we left out in a group of about 12 thinking we would go discover the island. But you can't discover something you no nothing about or really where to start. We were approached on the beach and were charged $25 a person for the 50 minute banana boat ride, along with sight seeing of homes and dolphin watching.
Read scarlabrown@gmail.com's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image W1nniethepooh
Sep 2012
My husband took the banana boat tour, although he rode in the regular boat. He loved seeing the sharks and dophins.
Read W1nniethepooh's full Carnival Pride cruise review
Member Image blondie11776
Aug 2012
Following a shopping trip to Port Lucaya, it was recommended to us by our taxi driver to go to Lucaya beach. The shopping was great, the beach (a walk from shopping behind the Police station) was not so great. The beach was narrow, crowded, and "dirty" with seaweed. The seaweed would wrap around my legs in the water. Some of the locals were a little obnoxious, however, was approached by a very nice young man from Ocean Motion Water Sports regarding a banana boat ride for $25 pp. My mom, disappointed w/ the beach and lack of shade, went back to the boat while my 8 yr old and I signed up for the banana boat. The boat driver took us and 5 others out to sea and then through millionaire row, the dolphin training center, and a pirate ship from Pirates of the Caribbean. We saw nurse sharks swimming below us in the crystal clear waters!! Then, it was a "crazy" ride back to the beach out in the open ocean!! Bouncing on the wake, going at least 15mph, we were flying!!! My son was laughing, I was screaming, it was exhilarating! Then....we flipped and were all bobbing out in the ocean, laughing. I was a little nervous, but we all made it back onto the banana somehow (if you are a really heavy person, this might be hard to do) and back to shore! I chose to bring my valuables on the boat rather than leave them on shore under a picnic table (manned by ocean motion staff) in a laundry basket- was not risking something being stolen. I was pleasantly surprised that my belongings stayed dry. The boat driver was constantly looking over his shoulder to make sure we were all okay and was very informative on the little tour we went on- giving us tips on how to balance the banana!! Overall, great experience for the $$!!!
Read blondie11776's full Carnival Fantasy cruise review