Nassau Dolphin Encounter Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Nassau Shore Excursions > Dolphin Encounter

Get up close and personal with the world's smartest marine mammals with an amazing dolphin encounter.

rrrrall

1 review

We had an excursion but not until 1:30 so we decided to walk out in Nassau. It was raining but I had an umbrella TIP: PACK AN UMBRELLA!! I don't care what you think the weather will be like, just do it! We had people envious of us lol. Within 20 minutes the rain was over. Nassau was not very fun. It had a lot of shopping but it had a lot of people shoving flyers in your face, reaching out to grab you, and telling you why you should do this or that tour. We didn't like it at all.

We did the Atlantis Deep Water Dolphin Swim. WOW!!! At first I was not impressed as they stood underneath a shaded building and made us line up for 15 minutes or so in the blazing hot sun. I believe the real feel was something like 103 or 106 that day our guide said. He told some people "Well, you picked coming to the Bahamas ya know" It seemed a little rude to me, as we were left in the sun. When we got to Atlantis is took us a very very long walk to get to the dolphins. I honestly have to say that it took us about an hour or more total to get to them. Then we had to wait on the first group to get done. At this point, I was feeling disappointed. IT DID NOT LAST LONG! WOW! I would do it again in a HEART BEAT! We got to hug and kiss the dolphin, free swim with the dolphin, get a foot push, and then feed it and watch it do all kinds of tricks. Our time in the water was PLENTY and it was so worth the cost. They sold pictures by packages not individuals, so for 5 pics you paid $70 then you received one free pic. We ended up getting pictures, that is how amazing it was! I can't even put it into words. We were done with the dolphins around 4:30... If I could do it over again I would want to swim in the pools and do the water slides at Atlantis also

jeepck

1 review

Stay away from the straw market. You can get the same stuff from the shops for less $$$ without getting constantly harassed.

Atlantis was Paradise. Will go back. Dolphin Shallow Water Photo's started at $70 for 5. Wish we had more time (only 30 mins).

Cruisin'Chills

1 review

They're dolphins, and we got touch and hug them and have our pictures taken with them. How could I give this anything other than a top rating? OK, I would have liked it to last a big longer perhaps, but I paid for the lower-level "interaction" as opposed to the "dolphin swim" and I guess you get what you pay for. I wasn't surprised and therefore wasn't disappointed. Loved the dolphins. :-)

adcc

1 review

Water is chilly this time of year but you do get used to it. The only complaint I have is they made families with small children walk all the way to the last dolphin and on the rocky bottom this was really tough holding little ones. Would have made more sense for families to be closer to where you have to get in and out of the water.

CornishPiskyVal

1 review

we paid for the Dolphin encounter at Atlantis. The organisation was complete chaos and we were made to sign disclaimers stating that as we would be with wild animals, they could not be held responsible if our death occurred! Just how dangerous could this be?! Anyway it was a long walk to the coach from the ship – no problem for us but there were others in our group where walking was an issue. When we reached Atlantis, we were led by a guide who took us about a mile through the resort, making sure we went through the casino and shops, before pointing out the short route we could take on our return! He had absolutely no concern for those in our group who could not keep up. The briefing was terrible and took place after everyone had got into wetsuits so it was boiling!. Why this wasn’t done before? The actual dolphin experience was lovely and in a group of 10 but less than two minutes each with the dolphin. The 5 hour trip included free soft drinks – this turned out to be a tiny bottle of water each and water infused with lemon slices. We had paid $169 dollars each for this and to be honest, nice as meeting the dolphin was, it was not worth the money.

R Gibson

1 review

Exceptional. Staff was very friendly & knowledgeable. Lots of one on one time with the dolphins. Definitely worth the money.

elperl4

Worth doing once, if you've never hugged a dolphin before. The first half of this excursion, however, involves photographing everyone in the group with the dolphin (approx. 15 minutes of photos). Then the dolphins make some noises, do some fun and whimsical tricks, and you go back on land, where you remove your wet suit and walk over to the gift shop, where you have the opportunity to purchase your photos in packages (not individually) starting at a mere $70 and going all the way up to $350. Suggestion: break your group up into two tours, so that you can take pictures of each other from the beach.

Cruiser@55

1 review

We went to the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter, not the one on Atlantis. We didn't want to walk all across a giant resort, and we wanted to avoid the crowds. Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter was perfect. We boarded a boat right there by the ship, and took a 40 minute ride out to the Blue Lagoon. It was pouring rain when we started, but it completely stopped before we got there. Even if the rain hadn't stopped, the area we were in was covered, so it wouldn't have mattered. I did the encounter, and we paid for my husband to come and observe. I have wanted to play with a dolphin ever since I was a kid and watched the show Flipper. It was worth the wait. I don't remember being this happy and excited since I got married. They put us in groups of about 8 - 10 people, we had a family of 6 and two singles. Our dolphin, Sean was so fun and he seemed as excited as we did. He loved what he did. He showed off for us and then each of us got to have our own special encounters with him. We got to pet him, we danced with him, hugged him, he kissed us, clapped for us and i loved every minute of it. We were in the water about 15 minutes, and the entire time Sean was playing with one of us. It was great. To me it was worth every penny. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. They took pictures, and a 5x7 was $16.95, of course I bought one, it is a memory I want to have forever!

Pink35

We got there at 8:00 AM. However, most of the rides at Aquaventure were not open until 10 AM--including 2 popular water slides and the lazy river. We had to be back on the Cruise ship at 12:30 PM. So, we only had about 2 hours for rides. I felt that Atlantis allows the cruise ship passengers to come in the morning, so it does not distract there hotel guests. They want the cruise ship business, so that it encourages future hotel guest visitor bookings. However, I feel that if Atlantis has cruise ship visitors arriving at 8:00 AM in the morning, then ALL rides at AquaAdventure should be open at 8:00 AM--no exceptions. Especially, since we are paying $138.00 per person to come and use there water slides. The dolphin experience was okay. They could have had less talking introduction in a hot room, and more interactive education outside in the water with the dolphins. The picture package prices were ridiculously expensive. They would not allow you to use your own camera. I have no picture with the dolphins, because I refused to pay $70.00 for the smallest package. The Dig and some of the aquariums need more cleaning and maintenance. Also, just to highlight, the town around Atlantis is really run down. I felt that even if I came back to Atlantis as a hotel guest, that it would not be a safe area. Some of the locals mentioned there is a lot of theft and break ins. The cruise line had sent a special message letting them know of recent security issues in the town of Nassau, and urged passengers to take cruise line organized excursions only--for safety. I strongly felt the cruise line was correct. I would strongly advise future travelers in this area to not organize any excursions outside of the cruise line!!!

W1nniethepooh

Loved it. Our instructor was very knowledgeable about the dolphins. We got to pet, kiss and hold the dolphins. We were not allowed to take pictures. One of their staff took professional pics which we given the option to buy. This made sense since we were in the water the whole time. We got to concentrate on the experience and not concentrate on taking pictures. The encounter lasted about an hour and was the highlight of my time in Nassau.

Irene7

Fun and worth the money.

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

CruisingAg01

We booked the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon directly online. This was another wonderful day in the Bahamas. The Blue Lagoon is gorgeous, well laid out and not too touristy considering it really is just a tourist attraction. We enjoyed our time with the dolphin and there was plenty of beach area afterwards. Lunch & drinks were good too. Highly recommend the Blue Lagoon & the Dolphin Encounter. We did have a scheduling issue getting to the island. Our cruise documentation indicated we would be in port starting at 7am. We were in port ahead of this, but were unable to get off the ship until 7:30. We missed the first ferry over to the island and had to wait and check availability of the next ferry. The Blue Lagoon staff were very helpful, but there was some concern that we would miss our entire day because of this ship delay.

childner

1 review

Horrible. we booked our excursion through Disney. My son is two and too young for the excursion so we had to pay for him to be an observer with my grandmother. When we get there my son starts to cry when he sees me by the dolphins, so I had to not have my encounter because they told me he was too young for him to come with me. well, when I look over to the families partaking in the excursion I see a husband, son, and wife who was holding a baby no more than one years old and is not wearing a wrist band which indicates that the baby was not paid for for the excursion. When I asked how she could have a baby down there yet my son who is two can not, I was told the woman refused to get up. But that doesn't matter because the employees still could obviously tell the child was younger than three and it did not have a wrist band and yet they still allowed it. So because I fallowed the rules and did the right thing, and I refused to let my son scream and cry I was not able to enjoy my excursion I paid for. But, this woman was able to enjoy her excursion plus have her infant child in the water as well while mine had to sit on the deck and cry.

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

LuLu1316

1 review

Absolutely amazing once you get in the water with the dolphins, but a ton of sit and wait. Misleading in the respect that you think yo are with them the entire time. However, I think it is really worth it because we were still with them a little over an hour and half.

bizfun

1 review

In one word, WOW! Truly an experience. We loved this excursion very much. One tip is to wear your swimming attire and bring a change of normal clothes with you. It's much easier (and sanitary) to change into the wet suit they provide if you already have your swimming clothes on. Once you are done, you can use their restrooms to change into the dry clothes. This is definitely a "do not miss" experience.

Cjnerin424

1 review

This was by far my favorite part of the whole trip. We booked a deep water dolphin swim and it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. We docked in Nassau and drove over to Atlantis, which was too beautiful for words. We walked about 15 mins over to dolphin cove, but the sights were just amazing! When we reached dolphin cove, we had a group orientation and were split into small groups of 5 people so we had more one on one time with the dolphin. After a short, yet fun, orientation, we were right out in the water. We each got to pet, kiss and take pictures with these gentle giants. We were also provided complimentary snorkeling gear. Once everyone had their gear and got their pictures done, we swam to the deep part of the cove where the trainers handed us underwater scooters that did all the swimming for us. I dove underwater just to look to my left and see the dolphin swimming just inches from me. Another dolphin even came over to join us. We spent about 20 mins or so doing this. It was great. Lastly, we had the famous foot push, where the dolphin came up behind us and pushed us from one end of the lagoon to the other. The trainers educated us a little more about the dolphins and they even showed us a few tricks. It was such a fun time!! I would recommend this to anyone at least once. I would do this again with no hesitation!!

Phlyn

Swimming with dolphins. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!

Provider: Celebrity Cruises

geogal95

1 review

In Nassau, I did the dolphin encounter. This was the highlight of my trip. I got to give her (her name was Bimmeny) a kiss and a hug and rub her belly and feed her and even got to dance with her! Plus, the wetsuit looked really good on me.. bonus! We go out in groups of 10. Total time in the water was about 45 mins I'd say. We got to see her do jumps and flips and she splashed me while playing around. I was so at home with them and the whole process was so smooth. It was at Atlantis at dolphin cay. It was a very long walk back to the bus stop though! I would also recommend this to anyone!

metravelling

1 review

First a boat ride to the Dolphin Encounter island, where we found Clean bathrooms and lockers for our belongings. We attended a safety talk giving the history of working with dolphins and Ecological concerns and efforts in which we could articipate. Our Regent group had our own TrainerAnd a smal enclosed pool area in which 10 at a time lined up. We each got to hug, kiss, rub feed andPlay with and watch him flip and dance. They allowed you to use your own camera as well as them taking pictures for sale. There are showers and a dressing area afterwards...a shop...a short Ride back to the ship in time for lunch.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

trigger305

1 review

We did the dolphin encounter at blue lagoon and really enjoyed ourselves. We did it ourselves instead of using the cruise package to save about 35.00 per person. We took a taxi to the ferry port and bought our tickets from the blue lagoon ticket office. This was a little risky as we had not prepaid and when we got off the ship at 7 am there was no one else getting a taxi and they like to fill the taxis up before leaving. We turned down a 25 dollar ride for 2 of us and after awhile someone offered us a 15 dollar ride and we took that. Once at the ferry terminal we bought our tickets and rode the ferry to blue lagoon. It was a beautiful ride. When they did the intro to the dolphin encounter they offer folks the option to upgrade to the dolphin swim and a lot of people did that. We did the encounter and they put us in a pool with a dolphin and we go to pet the dolphin, "dance" with the dolphin, hug the dolphin and get a kiss from the dolphin.

marrriedwithkid

1 review

Wonderful experience! You can upgrade to swim for kids if you sign a waiver. We didn't find out until program started that it was possible. Also don't fall for upgrade to beach day. We could have stayed and just paid for lunch. Inflatable park covered with algae and lots of handles missing making it hard to get up.

MSEnterprise

1 review

Dolphin Encounter was great! We did the Dolphin Swim. Small group, we got to be in the water with the dolphins. One was from the movie Flipper. Staff really friendly. They let you bring your cameras, so get a water proof pouch for your smart phone. The foot push is fun. The dolphins let you rub their underside, and you get to kiss and dance with them. They also take photos and video, the DVD is really short (about 10-15 minutes) and the quality is not very good. It was also pricey at $58. We ended up picking the pictures up and the DVD because it was just too cool of an experience.

blondie11776

1 review

The first stop in Nassau was great. We booked the Blue Lagoon/Dolphin Encounter excursion through an online site directly w/ Blue Lagoon and felt that this was a better choice than booking through Carnival- saved money and felt secure. The staff at Blue Lagoon was wonderful. From port, we took a taxi to Paradise Island Ferry Terminal and took a great Ferry/Catamaran ride to the secluded island which in itself was breathtaking, all the while island music playing to get you in the mood! This excursion was well worth it, we ALL enjoyed ourselves. The dolphin encounter was very educational and well-run. They were organized, and staff took great pictures that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The dolphins were happy to see us and really interacted with us- we touched them, rubbed bellies, danced, kissed and fed them. They seem very happy and well taken care of which made me very happy!

sam280

The Dolphin Swim was awesome. Photo's were expensive but made nice Christmas gifts. The Atlantis as a whole needs to decide if it will cater to high priced hotel guests or cruise day trippers. They are pricing themselves out of the day market.