Ketchikan Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Excursion Reviews

Ketchikan Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Journey into the heart of Misty Fjords National Monument, a nearly 2.3 million-acre tract of wilderness east of Ketchikan, and experience the raw power of the great Alaskan north. Known as "The Yosemite of the North," the terrain in Misty Fjords has been sculpted over the millennia by creeping glaciers to create a drastic but beautiful landscape.
Member Image osuffan
Jul 2014

As this was our first port we were excited. However my wife due to rough seas had gotten sick and had to back out of the Mist Fjords excursion. Cha-ching$$$. I canceled my fishing trip to stay with her. My mom went on the excursion. She said it was just okay. No wildlife was seen. When my wife felt better we went walking around town. Not a real big town. See my comments about the prices on souvenirs. We had lunch at Burger Queen. A local joint that I would highly recommend.

Read osuffan's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image guyinjax
Jun 2014

Great excursion. Weather was fantastic which really helped. Would highly recommend this tour.

Read guyinjax's full Coral Princess cruise review
Member Image dataminn
Aug 2013

Long, long uninteresting boat ride to a brief look at the fjord. Skip this tour! Walk the historic district of Ketchikan for free or see the totem museum instead.

Read dataminn's full Zaandam cruise review
Member Image HappyTravelFan
Aug 2013

The tour itself is okay, with interesting narration and unexpected, delicious free food and coffee/hot chocolate. However, it is expensive and not close to being as spectacular as the Tracy Arm Fjord, which we saw from the Solstice the next day.

Read HappyTravelFan's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image Alaska_addict
Aug 2013

Another great Allen marine trip, saw 3 whales and 5/6 bald eagles one came over the boat low with a fresh caught salmon.
Scenery is stunning.

Read Alaska_addict's full Zuiderdam cruise review
Member Image TravelerRobMD
Aug 2013

It's maybe a 4.5 - loved it, view is great, naturalist provides good information, and the boat is very comfortable. By this point in the trip, I think maybe I was a little numb to all the beauty. Still enjoyed it, but very little wildlife.

Read TravelerRobMD's full Sapphire Princess cruise review
Member Image bandrich
Aug 2013

Absolutely beautiful area. Friendly, experienced crew that made the trip fun and educational. I was upstairs taking in the view and so many pictures that my ears began to hurt from the cold. Guess that is a sign of someone not accustom to the cold. The ride can be a little bumpy, damp and cloudy, but that is part of being in Alaska. My only wish would be some more individual space, as being smaller made it difficult for me to get the pictures I wanted when others stood in front of me or walked over me.

Read bandrich's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image BerkCruiser
Jul 2013

Cruised on a comfortable well-equipped jet boat, with knowledgeable narrator and other helpful crew. The scenery was not as impressive as Tracy Arm Fjord a few days earlier, and it's a long ride (1.5 hours each way) to get to Misty Fjords. Snacks were provided and lots of information on the culture and geology of the area.

Read BerkCruiser's full Regatta cruise review
Provider: Oceania Cruises
Member Image hyker1
Jul 2013

Travel to/from this excursion is just really long... 60 miles to get to the Fjords. We enjoyed seeing the wildlife once we got there, but the boat ride was way too long. We only got to view the actual fjords for about 25 minutes!I just hate it when people on the shore-excursion boats try and sell you stuff!

Read hyker1's full Celebrity Millennium cruise review
Member Image reader8855
Jun 2013

We took a float plane trip with Carlin Air over the Misty Fjords area. Pilot Jeff was informative and friendly and I got to ride in the co-pilot's seat and that was incredible. We saw lots of beatiful waterfalls, thick forests and rugged mountains.

Read reader8855's full Coral Princess cruise review
Provider: Carlin Air
Member Image jimagray@flash.net
Jun 2013

Awesome scenery & a great pilot.
Booked on the dock & a lot cheaper than the ship.

Read jimagray@flash.net's full Golden Princess cruise review
Member Image mhays
Jun 2013

We thought the Misty Fjords Wilderness cruise was a lot of fun. The sights were amazing and the narration was great. They helped identify wildlife and provided snacks and complimentary coffee and hot chocolate.

Read mhays's full Statendam cruise review
Member Image JudyA_TX
Sep 2012
Due to being the only cruise ship in port that day, we had only 7 people on our trip. The weather was spectacular, the boat's crew was friendly and knowledgeable. There was absolutely nothing that could have made the excursion any better.
Read JudyA_TX's full Star Princess cruise review
Member Image dutchboy2
Jul 2012
Enjoyable and informative despite the mist and the rain
Read dutchboy2's full Statendam cruise review
Member Image jwally99
Jul 2012
We flew out to the Misty Fjords on a float plane. We came back to Ketchikan on a jet catamaran. I was disappointed in our trip back. I was expecting to travel through more of the narrow fjords than we did. The light lunch we had on board the boat was good. The history of the native culture shared with us was interesting, but if I had to do it over again, I would have taken the float plane round trip.
Read jwally99's full Diamond Princess cruise review
Member Image RNCAROL
Jun 2012
Great tour guides, nice trip except too pricey!
Read RNCAROL's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image jkingusa
Jun 2012
Ketchikan was beautiful. Excursion was great seeing the Misty Fjords in which we were also able to see whales and other wildlife.
Read jkingusa's full Silver Shadow cruise review
Provider: Silversea Cruises
Member Image sunlou25
Jun 2012
Really boring cruise - really long for a 1/2 hr of semi-interesting scenery. Might be more interesting at the beginning of the cruise, but it felt like the same scenery we had seen for the last 4 days.
Read sunlou25's full Diamond Princess cruise review
Member Image Swissie
Jun 2012
We booked the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer excursion through Princess Cruises which was by Allen Marine Tours. The boat has a heated enclosed area but you are free to go to the observation deck at any time. The staff was very friendly and informative.\ We had a naturalist on board who told us the local history of the Fjords and about the wildlife. There were hot drinks included and a small pastry served. Later we had a choice of Seafood Chowder or Vegetarian Chili and as a final snack we were offered crackers with salmon. The waterfalls were spectacular and we saw lots of eagles and harbour seals. It gets cold up on the top deck, so dress warmly and bring gloves and a rain jacket.
Read Swissie's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image vvacation
Jun 2012
An alternative for the two of us that didn't want to go salmon fishing, Misty fjords was beautiful. It's not as spectacular as some of the other sights in Alaska, but a nice excursion for non-adventurous people.
Read vvacation's full Sapphire Princess cruise review
Member Image travellover3868
May 2012
Fantastic with wonderful wildlife and scenery. Got incredible photos.
Read travellover3868's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Member Image Hoiiip
May 2012
Nature's magnificence at its finest.
Read Hoiiip's full Sapphire Princess cruise review