Ketchikan Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Ketchikan Shore Excursions > Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise

Journey into the heart of Misty Fjords National Monument, a nearly 2.3 million-acre tract of wilderness east of Ketchikan, and experience the raw power of the great Alaskan north. Known as "The Yosemite of the North," the terrain in Misty Fjords has been sculpted over the millennia by creeping glaciers to create a drastic but beautiful landscape.

osuffan

1 review

As this was our first port we were excited. However my wife due to rough seas had gotten sick and had to back out of the Mist Fjords excursion. Cha-ching$$$. I canceled my fishing trip to stay with her. My mom went on the excursion. She said it was just okay. No wildlife was seen. When my wife felt better we went walking around town. Not a real big town. See my comments about the prices on souvenirs. We had lunch at Burger Queen. A local joint that I would highly recommend.

guyinjax

1 review

Great excursion. Weather was fantastic which really helped. Would highly recommend this tour.

dataminn

Long, long uninteresting boat ride to a brief look at the fjord. Skip this tour! Walk the historic district of Ketchikan for free or see the totem museum instead.

HappyTravelFan

1 review

The tour itself is okay, with interesting narration and unexpected, delicious free food and coffee/hot chocolate. However, it is expensive and not close to being as spectacular as the Tracy Arm Fjord, which we saw from the Solstice the next day.

Alaska_addict

1 review

Another great Allen marine trip, saw 3 whales and 5/6 bald eagles one came over the boat low with a fresh caught salmon.
Scenery is stunning.

TravelerRobMD

1 review

It's maybe a 4.5 - loved it, view is great, naturalist provides good information, and the boat is very comfortable. By this point in the trip, I think maybe I was a little numb to all the beauty. Still enjoyed it, but very little wildlife.

bandrich

Absolutely beautiful area. Friendly, experienced crew that made the trip fun and educational. I was upstairs taking in the view and so many pictures that my ears began to hurt from the cold. Guess that is a sign of someone not accustom to the cold. The ride can be a little bumpy, damp and cloudy, but that is part of being in Alaska. My only wish would be some more individual space, as being smaller made it difficult for me to get the pictures I wanted when others stood in front of me or walked over me.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

BerkCruiser

Cruised on a comfortable well-equipped jet boat, with knowledgeable narrator and other helpful crew. The scenery was not as impressive as Tracy Arm Fjord a few days earlier, and it's a long ride (1.5 hours each way) to get to Misty Fjords. Snacks were provided and lots of information on the culture and geology of the area.

Provider: Oceania Cruises

hyker1

Travel to/from this excursion is just really long... 60 miles to get to the Fjords. We enjoyed seeing the wildlife once we got there, but the boat ride was way too long. We only got to view the actual fjords for about 25 minutes!I just hate it when people on the shore-excursion boats try and sell you stuff!

reader8855

We took a float plane trip with Carlin Air over the Misty Fjords area. Pilot Jeff was informative and friendly and I got to ride in the co-pilot's seat and that was incredible. We saw lots of beatiful waterfalls, thick forests and rugged mountains.

Provider: Independent Operator

jimagray@flash.net

1 review

Awesome scenery & a great pilot.
Booked on the dock & a lot cheaper than the ship.

Provider: Independent Operator

mhays

1 review

We thought the Misty Fjords Wilderness cruise was a lot of fun. The sights were amazing and the narration was great. They helped identify wildlife and provided snacks and complimentary coffee and hot chocolate.

JudyA_TX

1 review

Due to being the only cruise ship in port that day, we had only 7 people on our trip. The weather was spectacular, the boat's crew was friendly and knowledgeable. There was absolutely nothing that could have made the excursion any better.

dutchboy2

1 review

Enjoyable and informative despite the mist and the rain

jwally99

1 review

We flew out to the Misty Fjords on a float plane. We came back to Ketchikan on a jet catamaran. I was disappointed in our trip back. I was expecting to travel through more of the narrow fjords than we did. The light lunch we had on board the boat was good. The history of the native culture shared with us was interesting, but if I had to do it over again, I would have taken the float plane round trip.

RNCAROL

1 review

Great tour guides, nice trip except too pricey!

jkingusa

1 review

Ketchikan was beautiful. Excursion was great seeing the Misty Fjords in which we were also able to see whales and other wildlife.

Provider: Silversea Cruises

sunlou25

Really boring cruise - really long for a 1/2 hr of semi-interesting scenery. Might be more interesting at the beginning of the cruise, but it felt like the same scenery we had seen for the last 4 days.

Swissie

1 review

We booked the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer excursion through Princess Cruises which was by Allen Marine Tours. The boat has a heated enclosed area but you are free to go to the observation deck at any time. The staff was very friendly and informative.\ We had a naturalist on board who told us the local history of the Fjords and about the wildlife. There were hot drinks included and a small pastry served. Later we had a choice of Seafood Chowder or Vegetarian Chili and as a final snack we were offered crackers with salmon. The waterfalls were spectacular and we saw lots of eagles and harbour seals. It gets cold up on the top deck, so dress warmly and bring gloves and a rain jacket.

vvacation

An alternative for the two of us that didn't want to go salmon fishing, Misty fjords was beautiful. It's not as spectacular as some of the other sights in Alaska, but a nice excursion for non-adventurous people.

travellover3868

1 review

Fantastic with wonderful wildlife and scenery. Got incredible photos.

Hoiiip

Nature's magnificence at its finest.