Ketchikan Kayaking Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Ketchikan Shore Excursions > Kayaking

Kayaking through Ketchikan's icy waters is an active way to experience Alaska's gorgeous scenery.

Jim Henry

Very friendly an knowledge tour guides. Unfortunately did not see whales, but did see unique sea creatures clinging to rocks.

WEGL81

Viewed eagles and other wildlife. Guides were passionate and informative.

dischic89

1 review

Had a great time in our kayak. We were in small group of ten. We saw a few eagles, starfish, and deer. It was so relaxing to be out on the water in Alaska.

ntvsdgrl

1 review

There were only 4 of us that went on this excursion but it was perfect. Our guide was knowledgeable and patient with us first timers. They were always friendly and polite.

S_S

In general I wanted to get away from the touristy areas with our time in port, so for this port I booked a kayaking excursion with http://www.kayakketchikan.com/ We took the Orca Cove trip which was a short trip by water taxi to the cove, and about 2.5 hours of paddling. The trip was nice - our group was only 5 and the guide - in two person kayaks - and we were all alone in the area - very quiet and peaceful. We saw a bald eagle, mink and some seals. After all the paddling, we headed back to the water taxi and a smoked salmon snack before going back to town.

deeis50

1 review

Howard is awesome!!!!! This is a wonderful excursion

Rootiekazootie37

1 review

This was by far our best excursion. We were greeted at the rain gauge by our guide, Brandon, who was incredibly personable and knowledgeable. We suited up and boarded a boat to Orca's Cove. Here we got on our kayaks, and a novices we found it quite easy to do (except against the currents at times) I would recommend the 4 hour tour rather than the shorter one, as we left the cruise ship area to the quieter coves and the shorter excision just kayaks around the busy port. We saw sea stars right through the gorgeous clear waters. We saw eagles, and beautiful scenery all around. When we fished we were fed a snack of some of the BEST smoked salmon we've ever had. This is a must do excursion in my book!

GoKingBee

1 review

Standard cruise ship port town (starting to see a pattern?). We booked a kayaking tour with Southeast Alaska Kayak - which was one of the highlights of the trip. Maria our tour guide was awesome!

RJY

1 review

My wife and I choose to not do an excursion and instead walked through the port of Ketchikan, which has many more shopping opportunities than Sitka and Juneau, and is likely offers the best deals. Our daughter wanted to be active and so we booked her the Orca Kayak Tour online through South East Kayak Tours. They met her at the dock and walked the group down to docks next to the bow of the Oosterdam where they got dressed in their gear and were boated out for their kayak tour. Our daughter came back chilled, but enjoyed the tour.

jeannes1

1 review

Not exactly like the videos. Maybe we were their first tour or something but the staff felt like they were out for a lark on their own. Being a couple of 50 somethings, we played catchup the whole excursion. Never stopped long enough for us to get out the cameras. Kept trying to get everyone to race! Went around the ocean side of the island right out of the protected cove I expected my first kayaking trip to be in. We made it but I was hopping mad by the end all the same. Nobody at the gift shop at the end of the tour to dole out the free cocoa or make a pot of coffee. Then rushed onto the bus for the ride back to town. $220 for two hour kayak rental and a round trip bus ride. Not shiny.

SFSLECTOR

1 review

The family went on the Kayaking as I wasn't up to it. They said they had an absolutely wonderful experience. They came very close to whales and had the thrill of a lifetime. I shopped in the town and found some very nice things. Still too many jewelry stores but this port had other stores for some very nice items to take back from the trip.

oiler_fan11

1 review

We enjoyed our day kayaking in "Orcas Cove" in a tandem kayak. It was a great way to see interesting sea life including jelly fish and sea stars. We were also fortunate enough to see a bear, a seal and eagles. We had a delicious snack of smoked salmon on crackers after our paddle.