Ketchikan Fishing Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Ketchikan Shore Excursions > Fishing

Opt for a salmon fishing adventure or go bottom fishing for rockfish and halibut -- two popular fishing excursions enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.

Zach's Mom

rented a small boat on our own for $80, poles for $10 each. Perfect day

marthabro

1 review

Because our captain was a native we caught the limit. Very informative.

happygocampy

1 review

Our Ketchikan port time was very short, like 8 hours total or something like that. We had about 2 hours to kill before a fishing Excursion, not nearly enough time to explore. But whatever, the Fishing Excursion was awesome. We got to go on Captain AL's boat, quite possibly the greatest fishing boat captain in Ketchikan. I went with my father and 4 of my nephews. AL was so great with the kids, he had this perfect blend of firmness, fairness, and yet kept the jokes cracking the whole time out at sea. We ended up pulling in 10 fish, everyone got to reel in at least one. We kept 3 to bring on the boat and have for dinner the next night, these were pretty big fish, there was enough for all 31 of my group at dinner (the ones that wanted fresh salmon anyway) that night. It was exceptional, I had the waiter wrap the little bit leftover in tinfoil for me, and threw it my Cabin fridge for Lunch the next day. Awesome. This was the best Excursion for me. I wish I had more time to walk around Ketchikan but ah well.

I want to point out, some of our group did the Adventure Cart expedition and most were disappointed. The cart's can get up to 30mph but your in a formation line, and people in front of you are constantly stopping and slowing down. My cousin setup a cam on his car, I watched the film and it made me sick, looked boring. Just a heads up to anyone thinking about that expedition here.

gatorent1@aol.com

1 review

Another waste of time catching a single fish over the course of 4 hours in an area supposedly teaming with salmon.

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

cat2610

1 review

We arrived at Ketchikan at 7am. We had booked a salmon fishing excursion independently. We paid $150 pp for a 3 hour trip. The captain was a bit salty, but extremely helpful. There were 6 of us on the boat. We only went out about 4 miles from the cruise ship, but that was all we needed. We caught 3 silver salmon and countless pinks. We shipped home 23 lbs. of salmon. I was reminded of the Master Card commercial: $150 for the trip, $20 for the license, $15 for the tip, $180 for processing and shipping, the experience? Priceless. We got back to the dock around 11:30 and still had time to look around Ketchikan as all aboard time was 1pm. Ketchikan is a very walkable town. We walked over to Creek Street and looked at all the salmon swimming up stream. You could see them jumping in the water, but they weren't as dense as I expected. Creek St. is full of quaint little shops, and we enjoyed window shopping. There are also several souvenier shops along the street right by the dock.

huskers29

1 review

Knudson Cove salmon fishing. We just got the wrong guide. Other boats each person got at least one fish. Our boat we caught 2 fish amongst 6 people.

Provider: Celebrity Cruises

jgreenwo17

Went for halibut and rockfish. Caught a little flounder. Had lunch at wilderness camp. Very good.
(Kind of spendy though)

Murfee2012

1 review

This was actually called "Fishing and Wilderness Cooking" We went fishing in a small boat and caught Yellow Eye Rock Fish, then went to a wilderness camp and they cleaned and cook the fish into a delicious stew. Wow it was great.

Dianem24

1 review

The guys got some fish and the camp was all set up on shore to cook the fish that they caught. They had a great time.

FunGranny

EXcellent tour. Everyone enjoyed it.

mlmalone3

1 review

Ken picked us up at the dock. We boarded his boat, filled out the paperwork for licensing and headed out in search of King Salmon. He put us in an excellent spot and DH and I got 6 King Salmon total. He handled the processing for us, and we are looking forward to salmon dinners in Texas.

cnote2254

1 review

We chose to independently book through Baranoff on their "Fish and Dine" excursion. This was really a great time for the short period we were in Ketchikan. It is a small skiff that accommodated three of us privately in our skiff, but had several of them for everyone. We went fishing for Rock Fish 200 feet down after a 30 minute or so skiff ride, caught two large ones and a small one, as well as a two-foot shark that we humanely threw back. Then we went to their very well constructed base camp, in a pristine location, where they filleted and cooked our catch... making sure that we ate just our catch if that is important to you. On the way back, we saw a harbor seal sunning on a rock, as well as three Eagles. We threw our fish carcasses and watched the Eagles swoop in. All in all this one is highly recommended... we were treated very well and really enjoyed ourselves in the perfect weather.

Waxer

1 review

We had a good skipper; 5 anglers hooked 4 King salmon and brought home 2; fish was filleted, frozen, shipped home, and arrived in excellent condition.

Provider: Holland America Line

yodasensei

1 review

For me a bad day of fishing is better that almost any day. We didn't catch anything on our boat. We hooked one king salmon but the boat captain missed netting him. We did catch a couple of rock cod. When we through one of them back into the water, an eagle came swooping down to grab it out of the water. The eagle dropped it but it was definitely a sight to see.