Ketchikan Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Ketchikan Shore Excursions > Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

Board a real life crab-fishing vessel in Ketchikan. Popularized by the television show Deadliest Catch, fishing for king crab is notorious for being one of the world's most dangerous professions.

YVR2dreams

We really enjoyed this excursion. The crab fishermen are extremely engaging, humorous and educational. You really felt like you had a good understanding of what life is like for these men and their industry. It was fast paced, interactive and very interesting. Being out on the sea seeing bald eagles and other wild life on a sunny day was a total "Alaskan" experience.

Cindy

We had a fantastic time on the “Bering Sea Crab Fishing Tour!” I have had this tour bookmarked on my computer for several years just waiting until I got back to Alaska. It didn’t disappoint. Yes, parts of it are “staged,” but the fishermen and the gear they use are authentic, and I may never have another opportunity to see eagles that close again. I thought the tour was very well done, appropriate for all ages, and well worth the money. Interestingly enough, we had booked this tour on the internet, but most of the people booked through the ship…for $25 more per person.

LarBear

Super well done! Guides are all actual Bering sea fishermen, with great stories to tell. Lots of "hands-on" with the sea creatures, nice tour.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

MaiCruise

1 review

My husband and our 2 teenage girls went on the Bering Sea crab Fishermen's tour which I booked directly with. He said it was ok and cost should be more like $40 instead of the $159/adult $99/kid that I paid. He was disappointed that for the price, they didn't get to taste any of what was caught! Our kids said they enjoyed the hands on experience where they get to touch all the animals that were caught.

grinthock

1 review

What an amazing time - this tour is legit, this isn't acting or BS, these are real fishermen, on a real boat showing you the real deal. Totally worth it.

AT9

Fantastic experience!

shofer

We booked this independently not knowing it was also available through Princess. This is the best tour I have seen in 11 cruises. You don't have to be a fan of the show Deadliest Catch to enjoy this excursion. Not only educational but entertaining as well. Don't miss it.

Gigi1977

1 review

This was A M A Z I N G! Everybody should do this tour. We saw crab- got to hold them. Sunflower starfish. Beautiful Octopus! Whales - up close! And EAGLES, 25 to 30 bald eagles swooping out of the trees to eat fish that they had chummed in the water. The crew was wonderful. Best tour ever. We enjoyed it so much we would do it again in a heartbeat.

jmbest78

The best shore excursion I have ever been on. Board a former crab boat and find a seat on the covered and heated deck. Learn about crab and other fishing.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

Kate's Daughter

1 review

The crew of the Aleutian Ballad were wonderful! They provided much information and made the true world (as opposed to the created televised version) of crab fishing in Alaska come alive. We learned much about the ecological systems and the management of the fishing industry in Alaska. The crew were truly committed to providing a full and complete experience to each guest. The Aleutian Ballad is very comfortable and well tended. Be ready for the eagles! They are fabulous to see!

kickboxrca

1 review

This was the highlight of our trip. We watch The Deadliest Catch, and were not disappointed. The Aleutian Ballad was a short 10 minute walk from where we were docked (one of the ships in town was right beside), and we were greeted by the friendly crew as we boarded. We were offered stadium coats, and the stadium seating was covered and had overhead heaters. The 3.5h excursion took us out to an island area where the crew fed bald eagles so we could get some amazing pictures, covered how they fish, and catch various types of crab. All of the fish and crabs that were caught were shown to the guests - we could hold all but the Dungeness (they are vicious!), and allowed us to take pictures. We were shown how crabbing is done, the different types of pots, what life is like on the Bering Sea, and anything else we wanted to ask. The crew are REAL crab fisherman - not scripted - and can talk knowledgeably about what they are doing. It was obvious that they LOVE what they do, and love sharing it with us. They offered us complimentary coffee and hot chocolate, and there were small snacks to purchase, as well as t-shirts, etc. It was a GREAT day - but DRESS WARM - it is cold out there! At the end of the tour, they posed with us for pictures - taken on our cameras. Would do this one again tomorrow!

cruzlover64

1 review

As I am borderline obsessed with the show the Deadliest Catch - taking this excursion was a no brainer. The crew was terrific and I learned even more about crab fishing. I have a lot of respect for these guys and the challenges they face.

CruisingAg01

Booked the Bering Sea Crab Tour through Carnival. As fans of the Deadliest Catch, we enjoyed this. The boat is revamped and in fact offers 3 of the nicest restrooms I saw on the entire trip. They provided complimentary hot beverages and a snack and had a small gift shop on board. We saw and handled three types of crab and saw an octopus. The men all told their stories and were good in front of the crowd. Plenty of photo ops. One unexpected bonus -- a short stop where they fed bald eagles and we got to see quite a few of them in action. A bit pricey and something I'd probably only do once, but still very much worth it. I had about an hour in port after the excursion and just wandered a bit on Creek Street. Didn't even look at half of the port and would have appreciated more time.

Provider: Carnival Cruise Lines

MirandaM in CA

1 review

We are big fans of the cable TV show that inspired this excursion. We loved the experience. It was like being on the show, but warmer and we had a galley with cocoa. The staff was friendly and full of interesting tales. The visit to the waterway owned by local Indians took us outside of US federal regulations and we were treated to a close up view of eagles. WOW. The live critters that came up in the crab pots were fascinating and we got some great pictures. This is one of the best excursions I have enjoyed out of all my 11 cruises.

eagles2010

Excellent tour for anyone who is interested in the crab fishing industry. The eagle portion of the tour isn't bad either!!! You will see long-line fishing, king crab pots, rock and other types of crab pots, and octopus traps. The tour is family owned and run and they treat you like family. Can't say enough about this tour - it was cold and a little rainy but they had lined coats you could borrow. In our 3 trips to Alaska (2 cruising) this was probably the best tour we have been on.

12rudy0169

1 review

Very professional. Get to know the life of these fishermen. Very personal stories - could have heard a pin drop. They threw fish in the water for an extended Bald Eagle Show that was absolutely amazing. They also showed crab and shrimp traps and other sea creatures. Highly recommend.

CoZach Cruiser

1 review

KETCHIKAN - Bering Sea Crab Boat Excursion aboard the Aleutian Ballad. This ship was on the 2nd season of the Deadliest Catch. Check out Trip Advisor for reviews. We almost did not do this excursion due to a few reviews about it being cheesy and too touristy. I'm glad I ignored those few reviews. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The crew are so down to earth and just want to share with you "the life of a crab boat fisherman". Again, more great scenery! They feed eagles from the boat and you get to hear and feel them fly by you. It's amazing and beautiful. Kids would love this excursion. Dress warm and in layers. You have a bit of time to shop in Ketchikan, but not much. Shop fast!

neptune14

1 review

Awesome! Saw whales, tons of eagles (within 5 feet of boat) & of course the crabs, starfish, jelly fish. Crew was entertaining & very professional-you could tell they really enjoy giving people the opportunity to see the wildlife.

Provider: Princess Cruises

JD in MD

Although it rained for most of the day and it was cold, the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour was one of the best. We sat under a roof with heaters on the crab boat and got to examine and hold many of the creatures that live in the water. The crew pulled baskets and pots filled with live crabs, shrimp, fish, and even an octopus. We were also taken to a place with lots of eagles. The crew told funny stories and entertained us the whole time. It was a terrific excursion. (www.56degreesnorth.com)

jaf24

1 review

Wonderful crew sharing their experiences and a glimpse into the life of a fisherman on a crab boat. Actual equipment that is used as well as a chance to see and touch many things that are fished for in the sea. Also a spectacular view of eagles in flight very close to the boat.

peacey

1 review

Had a wonderful time. Loved the stories told by the crew and seeing and handling the crabs. But the most spectacular part was being so close to bald eagles as they snatched bait fish out of the ocean right next to the boat. You will want to take video of this.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

nwcruzertoo

1 review

Great trip with a very friendly crew. I was able to get outstanding photos of eagles fishing, soaring, and sitting in nearby trees. This a must-do if you like wildlife!

Provider: Princess Cruises