Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Ocho Rios Dunn's River Falls Excursion Reviews

Ocho Rios Dunn's River Falls cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Dunn's River Falls offer 600 feet of climbing pleasure for thousands of visitors and locals every year. It is arguably Jamaica's most popular and famous attraction.
Member Image t0641mc
May 2015
We were directed immediately to our tour operator on debarktation. We left port with an nice air conditioned van to dunns river falls. Our driver was extremely personable. He told us about Jamaica and gave us tips on what to do and see. Very professional. He dropped us off at margaritaville we had a great time there and it was a short walk back to the ship. Jamaica was the best mon
Read t0641mc's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Provider: Karandas
Member Image Natasha1030
Apr 2015
This climb was not what I was expecting. It was much larger than I originally thought, but the tour guides made it so interesting, fun and kept us all optimistic! We bought a video of the climb and all of us had the best time!
Read Natasha1030's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Member Image lidomiddeck
Apr 2015
met all expectations, our guide was on point to provide a safe journey to the top of the falls with no injuries. this was a fun excursion that provided a new experience.
Read lidomiddeck's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Member Image gingmar
Apr 2015
be there early, be ready to be ask to buy video and tip everyone in a 1 mile radius. The beach at the fall is beautiful, you can take nice picture of the last fall that drop on the beach
Read gingmar's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image mama2003
Apr 2015
The hike itself and the river were lovely E.Hall our guide was very helpful. I had issues. LOL However leaving the falls some vendors were extremely aggressive haggling price with me for things I don't even want or look at.
Read mama2003's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image doglover1212
Apr 2015
Very beautiful and went smoothly. Had a great time and would do this again. Had an amazing tour guide named Tiffani who was informative and very friendly. Good food and a beautiful beach day after the falls. LOVED!
Read doglover1212's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image ngamark
Apr 2015
It's very crowded and a little harder than advertised. Beautiful area and scenery. Guides were very helpful and encouraging. If you don't like holding hands with a stranger, don't do this one..LOL
Read ngamark's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image cjmerta
Apr 2015
3rd time and is always a fun experience. Went with three families. The guides were very helpful. The marketplace afterwards can be trying with the locals bothering you.
Read cjmerta's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image vacationlover1
Mar 2015
After hearing amazing things from everyone who had visited Jamaica, we knew we had to try climbing the falls. I feel like we made a great decision. The falls were beautiful and a once in a lifetime experience. It was also fun to do together with my husband. If you are not able to climb, no worries. You can go to the falls just to observe the beauty of the nature.
Read vacationlover1's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image Jzuniga026
Mar 2015
Even though it was really crowded; what a wonderful experience. I recommend this tour to everyone, specially families with kids, they will have lots of fun. The scenery is spectacular the water refreshing and the climb is not that hard. Take it easy and enjoy the nature of this Jamaica's landmark. Baboo beach club was alright, food is nothing out of this world for us, but the whole package was worth it.
Read Jzuniga026's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image bhorv67
Mar 2015
WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!! From what I could tell, there was one other ship in port, but it felt like everyone from both ships went here at the same time. It took forever to get to the top because we had to wait for everyone ahead of us to move. Still, it was fun.
Read bhorv67's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Cheddarhead Cruiser
Mar 2015
Had a great time except for the fact that it rained (no poured). But we were wet so it didn't matter. Tour Guides were very helpful getting us up the falls.
Read Cheddarhead Cruiser's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image joevancil
Mar 2015
I've done this twice now, and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience both times. You need to have water shoes to do this. You also need the ability to kick back and relax and you need to feel comfortable working with others.
Read joevancil's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image ksakow
Mar 2015
The Dunn's River Falls was not what we expected do not take anything with you its a very wet and when you first begin it looks a bit dangerous...my wife lost her balance and her sunglasses fell off and were never to be seen again..one couple got there Iphone wet and never worked again cause they could not get the battery out maybe they should have shut it off......overall it was a great!!!
Read ksakow's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image mag2184
Mar 2015
amazing experience, very fun and unique! you must wear water shoes, there are guides that help you go up all along the river falls. definitely something to add on your bucket list.
Read mag2184's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image bphawk64
Mar 2015
This is pretty much a must do while in Ocho Rios although it's a huge tourist trap. We went here as part of bigger tour with Courtney Taylor Tours and our guide really pushed at how much more we would pay for souvenirs, etc. The biggest downfall is how crowded it gets so try to be there early if possible.
Read bphawk64's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Provider: Courtney Taylor Tours
Member Image Loungemike
Mar 2015
The staff that works there is alright. They say you can't bring a camera because they want you to buy their video for $40. It turned out a lot of people ended up bringing their camera anyway and nobody said anything. The waterfall itself is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. They help you climb the whole way and seemed pretty safe. There is a dry part with steps if you do not want to get wet. They rented lockers for $8 and you get $3 back when you turn in the key. You have to exit through a market and it is filled with pushy salespeople but that to me is to be expected there.
Read Loungemike's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image shwoogie23
Mar 2015
Dunns River falls was gorgeous! They give you shoes to walk up the falls and you all hold hands and walk up the falls. The tour guides lead you up the falls with ease. They do tape you as you go up the falls.
Read shwoogie23's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image beachipichi
Mar 2015
Jamaica. An “interesting” place. The ship pulls into port and you are shielded from the locals behind a barbed-wire fence. We opted to do the two-hour excursion to Dunns River Falls to climb the falls. I would like to make note of a few important things: you MUST wear water shoes to climb the falls; if you show up without them you will have to buy a pair for $10, or rent a pair for $8; you may NOT bring anything with you when climbing the falls. Your hands must be free when climbing, and believe me, this is important. So, don’t bother bringing your camera, unless it’s waterproof and it hangs around your neck. Since you can’t bring anything with you, you will need to store your belongings in a locker which you will rent for either $8 or $10 (do you see a pattern), $3 of which will be refunded to you when you return the key. The entire time you are climbing, your “guides” will be taking pictures and video-taping, which, of course, you will have the pleasure of purchasing at the end for $40. We bought the picture for $8 (there’s that number again!). Now that your hands are free, you join your guide at the bottom of the falls and the group holds hands to form the human chain that will pull you up the falls. This is both good and bad. It’s good because you have help; it’s bad because 1, the rocks are coated in algae and it is very slippery, and 2, since you are being pulled along, you’re not as inclined to notice the rocks that are hidden under rushing water. Consequently, you smash your shins on the rocks (this happened to me), or, it starts a chain reaction of falling tourists. If you plan to go to Dunns River Falls, I recommend going early. We arrived at 10 a.m. and it wasn’t crowded. When we left at noon there were hundreds of people on line waiting to get in. I can only imagine how crazy (and dangerous) it would have been to try to climb with so many people, especially with the guides rushing you up the falls. A few suggestions: I wouldn’t bring young children. We met a family with a 3-year old child who were told it was perfectly fine to bring the child, who couldn’t have been 3 ft tall. When they got to the starting point and saw the falls, they realized it was a bad idea and the grandfather stayed with the child. That group was having a hard enough time climbing, and they couldn’t imagine doing it with the child. As Americans, we’re used to oversight regarding safety, etc., with plenty of warnings, but in the islands, you’re on your own. It’s better to be prudent to avoid injury than have an injury ruin your vacation. Another suggestion, leave everything on the ship. Most of the time, you’ll be told that you can’t bring your items with you, and then, as I mentioned, you’ll end up having to pay for a locker. Or, you lose the item along the way, and then you have to pay for its return. On a different cruise, my friend lost her only set of prescription glasses when she climbed the falls. When she reached the top, she was told that she should check at the bottom of the falls because items usually ended up where the water pooled at the bottom. When she checked, she found a "helpful" local who had retrieved her glasses from the water and requested a $100 payment before he would hand them over.
Read beachipichi's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image AzStyle
Mar 2015
Our favorite excursion, it was beautiful! Had a blast, our guide was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this to anyone. The video at the end was worth purchasing.
Read AzStyle's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image stephphillips34
Mar 2015
Employees at Dunns River were squabbling and so very confusing at fIrst as for as where to go. We never got a tour guide or were within a group Although we're still able to see the beautiful Falls.
Read stephphillips34's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Linzd123
Mar 2015

At Dunns River Falls, there was another locker situation, however this was $8 and you got $3 back. We got into our groups and headed to the bottom of the Falls. It was not what I expected at all. It was scary! You couldn't see where you were putting your feet and water was rushing over them so it was hard to balance and then at the same time everybody has to hold hands which just makes it ten times harder. We all made it to the top without any problems but everyone was shocked at how dangerous it was. You have to have river shoes/surf shoes to go or they won't let you up there. The guides were really really helpful and I was truly grateful to them. I was glad when it was over though.

Read Linzd123's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image jpbalser
Mar 2015

Pickup late twice. Dunn's river overrun with cruisers but still nice,

Read jpbalser's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Keranda
Member Image jgshively
Mar 2015

Really enjoyed climb up the falls, but it is difficult. Hard to take your own pictures and not thrilled with the video/pictures we bought from guide but they are OK. Celebrity docks at a very dumpy location. After climbing the falls we tried to walk to a nearby beach and they were dirty and we didn't really feel safe, even at the pay beach. If you want a good beach you'll have to pay for it. And celebrity gouges you for 50-70 per person just to take you to a good beach. Seems like that ought to be includes.

Read jgshively's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image vbpickeral
Mar 2015

I've done this several times before. This one was horrible. The crew was pushy and rude. Got there late so we only had time for the top half. The most unfriendly bunch of ass-holes I've ever had to deal with. I usually tip generously, but I had no problem stiffing the entire crew. Cheap-Cheap-Cheap. RC should be ashamed for recommended them!

Read vbpickeral's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image toakleyguelph
Mar 2015

It was a pleasant surprise that the ship was detoured here from Falmouth. It meant that we were only a short cab ride ($10/pp return) to the falls. Entry to the falls was $20/pp. We did end up buying (required) water shoes ($10/pp). This was a significant savings from the same trip sold by the ship. The only thing I found was that the falls are VERY commercial, we were lead up by a guide, almost like cattle. There were some nice opportunities to stop and take family pictures, but there was a feeling of needing to move the group along. Make sure to take your water camera, but NOT your cell phone (My husband made this mistake!!).

Read toakleyguelph's full MSC Divina cruise review
Member Image akcruze2
Feb 2015

We did the Dunn's River Falls Express. This is a great excursion, worth every penny. Take cash to buy the DVD because you will not have a lot of time to take pictures while you climb and unless it is waterproof your tour guide will be holding it and taking your pictures or handing you the camera. The tour guides are a lot of fun.

Read akcruze2's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image JRoffers2530

Jaital.com !!!!

If you want to see Dunn's River Falls, book thru jaital.com. It's only $35/person. Cruise lines cost more than twice than for the same activities. Don't let the cruise lines use their scare tactics to prevent you from booking an excursion with an independent company!!!!

Jaital has Very safe and reliable guides. Stacey and Orlando took care of us. Very kind and generous people. Stacey took our pictures with our cell phone as we climbed the falls. She stood on the boardwalk, where spectators can look on and stay dry while others climb the falls. She also held onto our stuff so that we didn't have to get a locker!!! She was very kind.

It was also refreshing that neither her nor Orlando (our taxi bus driver) asked for tips. We gave them a very generous tip because they earned it and they never asked for it!!! They were very kind and hospitable people. Stacey gives a lot of historic info on Jamica as you travel on the short taxi ride.

Read JRoffers2530's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image wsx99
Feb 2015

Went to the falls on a tour but did not climb it nor would we ever. This place would definitely not pass in the USA nor would insurances cover it. The people who did do it said they really enjoyed it. This tour also went to a botanical garden but we didn't want to so we left the tour early. If I had done my research better I wouldn't have taken this tour. Also we were not crazy about Jamaica.

Read wsx99's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Momof3boys21
Feb 2015

Excellent time, besides being offered drugs on way out of Dunns

Read Momof3boys21's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image mikedewey
Feb 2015

Unless you have already done it, climbing Dunn's River Falls is undoubtedly THE THING to do on excursion at Ocho Rios. Although not for people with mobility challenges, the Falls are very doable for the majority of cruise passengers. We chose a local tour operator, Mark Morris, who charged significantly less than other excursion companies but still provided excellent service and a very entertaining and welcoming experience. I would recommend Mark to anyone visiting Ocho Rios. We were glad to have taken the self-guided option of climbing the Falls, but I spoke to lots of fellow passengers who enjoyed the entertainment provided by their guide. Your choice, but don't miss it!

Read mikedewey's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Mark Morris Tours
Member Image jack7298
Feb 2015

The actual experience of climbing the falls itself was great. I would recommend this while visiting Ocho Rios. However, the gauntlet of aggressive locals forcing their goods on you that you are forced through upon exit is horrible. We decided not to even bother going into town to avoid a similar experience.

Read jack7298's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image Cruisin'Chills
Feb 2015

We did the NCL excursion that went to Bobsled Jamaica and then Dunn’s River Falls. It was a great excursion and I would definitely recommend it. The most unexpected and pleasant part of the excursion was the chair-lift (Sky Explorer?) ride to the top of the mountain for the bobsled experience. It was about a 20 minute ride, so peaceful, amazing views – I loved it! (My sister-in-law, who is terrified of heights yet somehow wound up on this excursion with us, did not. So if you have a paralyzing fear of heights, probably best to skip it.) The bobsled ride had a bit of a line so we had to wait maybe 20-30 minutes before getting a “sled”. There was a beautiful infinity pool right next to where you load into the bobsleds, and it had a water slide as well, but no one ever suggested we could use the pool or the slide (although the NCL literature does speak about these features as though they are included). In any case the bobsled ride was much more fun than I expected – I thought I would be pushing the handbrake (you can control your own speed) the entire ride, but it turned out it was fun to let it go a little bit. It was like a make-your-own roller coaster. At the bottom the track pulls you onto a cable and then all the way back up the mountain again (picture the long uphill climb on a roller coaster). At the top of the mountain, you leave your sled and there is (of course) a gift shop and some artisans there, as well as some barbecue. You board the chairlift again to descend the mountain, and while it’s much less scenic than the climb (it’s a lot lower and sort of shaded by trees), it’s a lot cooler because of the shade! Next we were sent to buses that took us up the street (less than a few minutes) to Dunn’s River Falls. We were assigned a woman who took us into the site, got our wristbands, gave some instructions about lockers and such, and then turned us over to the line where we waited to be put together with our guide. The guide is the one who leads a large group of people (15-20, I’d say) up the falls. Typically they want everyone to hold hands. Side note, the sign by the lockers says NO personal effects, including cameras, on the falls, but when we got down to the bottom, everyone had their waterproof cameras with them, so I guess that should be noted as a SUGGESTION (I was very disappointed to have followed the “rules” only to find I could have brought it along). The lockers cost $8, $3 of which they give back when you return the key. I don’t recommend carrying anything else as it’s a fairly strenuous activity! Oh, and BRING WATER SHOES or you will have to buy them there. You can’t climb without them. I wasn’t sure I’d make it all the way up – I’m not in anything resembling good physical shape. The guide was very helpful and after the initial part of the climb, which was somewhat grueling, I inquired about departing and walking up the stairs that go alongside the falls. He assured me that the hardest part was over and that he would get me up! And he did. It took about an hour to climb the falls. All told this excursion is listed at like 3.5 hours but I think it took a bit longer, and could take longer still if you did much in the way of shopping in the markets. (Yes, the vendors at the artisans market after the falls are “pushy”, in the sense that they want you to buy stuff, but most were perfectly fine with a “no thank you” as you kept walking by. The sad thing is they all sell the same stuff.)

Read Cruisin'Chills's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image dalmatainlvr9
Jan 2015

our first time in Jamaica. we booked this tour for 2 adults and 5 kids. ages 14-19
it was a lot of fun. we were able to leave our things on the boat to do the falls. did not have to worry about renting a locker. the people on the party boat were a lot of fun. they did take photos and I bought a disc for $10.00 that had 3 photos on it. the falls are very pretty. 2 of my boys did not go up. one has a disability and the other said the water was too cold! I did the dry walk and hopped in to the falls half way up. I had a water camera on my wrist and was able to take photos. The guides take many people up like a human train. they get you up as fast as they can so they can get another group up. they video and want you to pay $40.00 for it when you are done. we said no thanks. they were very pushy!! we stuck to our guns and said no. party on boat after was a lot of fun. lots of rum punch. we were back to the ship by noon. still in a party mood. we got a cab (through one of the workers on the excursion) and he took the 7 of us to a beach for $70.00 it was clean, food was good and we had a good time, his original price was $20 per person, to take us to Montego bay, we didn't have enough cash on us so he took us to another place. it had a restaurant and bathrooms. we had a good time. we called him when we were ready to go back to the ship.

Read dalmatainlvr9's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Wanderer2014
Jan 2015

The falls were beautiful. We had the option of walking the boardwalk instead of the Falls and it was still way more exertion than I expected for a Level 1 excursion. Also, we got rained on (lightly) in a rain forest, which was kind of cool in some way. Good guide. Great driver.

Read Wanderer2014's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image Sharonfire
Jan 2015

We have been to the falls before and knew what to expect. I feel the shops afterwards are very pushy and they all sell the same thing. And you cant exit without going through the market. So you have to actually be rude because they are so pushy. Don't linger to look at anything or they pounce on you. I would have spent money there if they would just leave me alone and let me browse!
The falls themselves are beautiful.

Read Sharonfire's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image n4ut1c4l
Jan 2015

We did a Dolphin SeaTrek in Jamaica and it was amazing. We went to Dunn's River Falls afterward as part of the tour, but I could have done without that and spent more time at Dolphin Cove instead. The falls were not as large as I expected from the advertisements, however, they were beautiful!

Read n4ut1c4l's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image PandaFan

Dunn's River is a must.

Read PandaFan's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image jillc83
Dec 2014

Jamaica was beautiful, but I was turned off by how aggressive the locals were trying to get us to buy things. I understand that tourism is their main source of revenue, and I was prepared to spend some money, but being harassed by people every time I took a step was not enjoyable. The Dunn's River Falls were pretty cool.

Read jillc83's full Westerdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image Tracey/Thom
Nov 2014

The 4 wheel drive tour was interesting - to a coffee plantation, up a mountain, through the jungle The climb up the waterfall was fun - but extremely crowded! The locals were very bold about asking for tips, which may be a difference in culture (you are in a foreign country, so expect things to be different!) from where we're from. It didn't feel comfortable, but it felt even more awkward to just walk away. On the drive around the countryside, it was very obvious this is a very poor country. We were with tour guides and other people the whole time, but we like to wander around a bit by ourselves and didn't really feel comfortable doing that this time. Jamaica is lush and gorgeous to behold, but I'm not sure we would return.

Read Tracey/Thom's full Caribbean Princess cruise review
Member Image BostonGal35
Nov 2014

Excellent excursion! Knowledgeable tour guide "Mr T" took us everywhere and showed us up close about plants and fruits. Tour ended with Dunn's River Falls and my other half climbed the river. Bring water shoes if you have them or you can rent for $8 or buy for $10.

Read BostonGal35's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image SJK120
Jul 2014

Dunn's Falls was pretty cool. My husband got tired of it about half way through. $40 for a video seems too high for what was. And BEWARE, do not touch anything that you do not want to buy (especially on the way out). They will make you pay for anything you touch or sign up for! We will skip this tour next time.

Read SJK120's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Peat Taylor Tours
Member Image dambyrds
Jun 2014

Ocho Rios was a great port. The Dunn's River Falls was perfectly beautiful. Warm waters, and a soft sandy beach. The trek up the waterfall was safe and we had a very nice guide. (They do beg and push donations a lot for the guides). When leaving the falls, beware they will walk you thru tent city which does have some awesome gifts but they are extremely pushy, and will grab you. Stay on path and walk quickly.

Read dambyrds's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image DontFeedTheBirds
Apr 2014

The Dunn River fall was a lot of fun but plan on getting wet. You will get a wrist band for the falls at the entrance and you will also need water shoes.You can rent them there but they cost $7 to rent, I think, and $9 to buy. Make sure that whatever you have on you can get wet. They do have lockers but and they cost a few dollars to rent, I wouldn't leave much of value There was a bit of confusion as to groups but the leaders tour guides were pretty good. We had a lot of fun. Word of warning. The falls are slippery and it is quite easy to twist an ankle if you aren't careful. Take your time!At the end they will do a hard sell on the video, which is $40. I don't think it's worth it but to each his own. They will take pictures with your camera as well. We got some good shots going up the falls this way. They will also try to sell you still shots as well as you come out of the falls area. These were $8 or so (cheaper than the cruise pix) so we actually bought one. You have to endure some very aggressive souvenir vendors at the falls but just walk through them and it's just an annoyance.
The town Ocho Rios is to be avoided. We bought some cards in the "Taj Mahal" shopping area and had to walk about a quarter of a mile into town to mail them. It was literally like stepping into a third world country. We had one who pestered us from Taj to the post office and back, wanting us to visit his stand. I basically had to say we weren't interested about 20 times before he left me alone. Jamaica has a laid back facade with a strong undercurrent of violence (it has one of the highest murder rates in the world) so stay in the main tourist areas. The Island Village area has fallen on hard times, many of the shops have closed.

Read DontFeedTheBirds's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image ingreece
Jan 2014

Dunn's River Falls was amazing! Bring water shoes or you'll have to pay $7 to rent them. It was a great experience. Went on a small tour of part of the island. Very poor, lots of desperate people wanting to make a buck. Will do anything for your money including begging, back flips or selling you junk. Bob Marley was around every corner.

Read ingreece's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Grand Cayman LTD
Member Image marcogilbert
Jan 2014

We were a party of 16 so we booked a complete minivan to get to Dunn's River Falls but the taxi prices are fixed to 10$/person (kid or adult) and we were not able to bring this price down even just a little. But we had a lot of fun in the falls and you have to do it at least once in your life.

Read marcogilbert's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image Nascar21n8
Dec 2013

In Jamaica we did Duns River falls cool running’s catamaran was nice and we could leave our stuff on the boat and it was safe that was nice while we climbed the falls. Note to all of you wear glasses you need sport glasses they suggest you do not wear your glasses to climb the falls well that makes it hard to see if you need them. Also if you have a camera it must be waterproof and you need a strap you can get the strap on Amazon. If you just say no thank you and keep walking they leave you alone the vendors

The falls are tough if your older or not in shape there is steps on the side but its 900 feet of climbing and you get wet from head to toe

Read Nascar21n8's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image samstar
Dec 2013

Jamaica was typical Jamaica. Creepy aggressive people. Polite in speak, but relentless. Another tourist near me actually screamed at someone to just shut up. Not really necessary, but I can see why he lost his temper. Climbing the falls was fun, but so crowded. I've done it before and wanted to try to climb without a guide this time. Should have been easy but it was so crowded there was nowhere to go.

Read samstar's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image tjfamolare
Dec 2013

If you're adventurous, skip the long line of people waiting for a tour guide and climb the falls by yourself. you won't be linked up to anyone so you can see much more of the falls and go at your own pace. plus, you don't have to wait in the endless crowds of people.

Read tjfamolare's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image corinnalv
Dec 2013

Fantastic once in a life time experience. The water was chilly at first, but so worth it. The guides that took us up this trek were nice and fun. They made us stop and sit in the waterfall. They we all got to slide down a real rock slide. Our group all got to fall into the water backwards. These are things I would never do on my own, but they encouraged us all to do it and I'm so glad they did. It was a lot of fun.

Read corinnalv's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image travelinmm
Dec 2013

Falls were awesome; however, getting there was ridiculous. The Jamaican tour group members were not communicating with each other, grabbing cruise guest to put them on the excursion buses (irregardless of whether or not they were traveling w/ another group). The buses did not all have a/c and 1/2 of the time was spent waiting. Once we walked the falls, we had to go through this market gauntlet - constantly harassed for the same stuff. We were then taken to a "private" beach were we were served rum and juice drinks (really bad rum and weak juice) and food (again more waiting for bad food).

If you are interested in Dunns River - get a cab and do it yourself! be prepared to hide your cash as you leave the falls through their market.

Read travelinmm's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image pickypete
Nov 2013

Took Kayak adventure to Fall's. About 100 metre paddle. Have seen the Fall's before. Was hoping for Kayaking. Didn't deliver. Jamaica is a sketchy joint with too many beggars and dope dealers

Read pickypete's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image Ottawaclown
Nov 2013

The excursion was Dunn's River Falls with shopping and beach break at Bamboo Beach Club. We started off on a bus ride to Dunn's River Falls with our wonderful tour guides Deandra and Kemone who I believe work with the Bamboo Beach Club. Our guides gave us some directions and information about Jamaica on our way to the falls. Once we got there they organized us and off we went. The falls were amazing and a must see even if you just walk along side of them. My wife completed the walk up even though she was terrified. A good tip when they take through the market after the falls on your way to your bus listen to what your guides tell you and there won't be any problem. I had read a lot of bad reviews about how aggressive they were but I actually didn't find it bad at all. I simply didn't take anything that was offered to me, didn't get into any conversation and tried to avoid eye contact if possible. A couple of time I gave them a firm NO as we were instructed since if you give them a firm NO they will not bother you.
After the falls we were off to do some shopping which was right outside of the port. There is only a few shops which are your typical port shops. Nothing exciting but I didn't care I wanted to get to the beach. The stop was for only 20 minutes which was more then enough and didn't hear any complaints from anyone.
We were then off to Bamboo Beach Club. At first glance not what I was expecting but after a few rum punches and beers everything was good. Things to remember here the put you with your group if you want to wander off let your guides know where you are so they can find you for drinks and food. If you wander off and don't tell them don't complain they didn't server you anything. We received plenty to drink and eat. The Jamaica food was amazing. We then got treated to some dancing by all the tour guides from each groups as well as some authenticate Jamaican style dancing with dancers that are part of the club. As we were leaving we were greeted with another big tray of drinks for the road. This tour was worth every penny. The only thing I can say is the down fall is there are so many people to tip. (Tour guides, bus driver (although I think we were the only ones to tip him), the people helping you up the falls, the guy taking the video tape as you are going up the falls) Tip bring extra money for all the tipping.

Read Ottawaclown's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image Homeagain
Oct 2013

Michelle from Mark Morris tours picked us up at the cruiseport and took us to the River Tubing portion of our tour first. This was a great decision since we were able to get there before the crowds. We enjoyed a leisurely trip down the river with a nice young (19 yrs old) guide. Michelle got our tickets, made sure we got off and then met us at the end. We were able to lock our belongings in her van and just take our waterproof camera with us. After the river tubing, we were off to Dunn's River Falls. Again, Michelle got our entrance tickets and guided us into the park. We decided to go without a guide which was a great decision. We were able to walk past hundreds of people waiting for a guide and go straight to the bottom of the Falls. Michelle watched while we got started then went back to the vehicle. We were able to make our way up the falls without having to wait very often. With the groups, they were waiting at many sections for pictures to be taken. Since it was just the 4 of us we could get our pictures and keep moving. It was a challenging climb - we are all in our mid 50's - but the guys were able to help us out when we needed a boost! After we got to the top we were able to make our way quickly through the vendors without much of a hassle - a simple "no thanks" seemed to go a long way. We stopped for a beer before leaving the park. Michelle met us right at the exit and took us back to the van. At this point we were able to go shopping or for lunch or wherever or whatever we wanted to do. We opted to return to the ship since we are not shoppers. Back at the ship we settled up with Michelle - $65 each plus our tip. A very reasonable price for a great private tour (just the 4 of us). I would highly recommend Mark Morris tours for an excursion in Jamaica.

Read Homeagain's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Mark Morris Tours
Member Image Jervan2010
Aug 2013

I enjoyed the boat ride to the falls. I did not enjoy the falls so much because our guide insisted upon taking up the middle of the falls away from the wall. I felt that was more dangerous because there was nothing to hold onto but each other.

Read Jervan2010's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image galian84
Jul 2013

We did the Dunn's River Falls and exclusive snorkeling excursion here. The snorkeling was a little cheesy...not what we expected. Don't think we'll be doing it again.

The Falls was most definitely a unique experience. Everyone in the tour group had to hold hands and make the trek up the falls. We got a workout from it and got some nice pictures. Overall, a very fun experience.

The only thing we were wary about were the locals. They can be a bit intimidating and pushy, but then again, that's how they make their money. We wanted to go River Tubing afterward, but since we didn't have any cash on us, we couldn't do a whole lot else. Ended up going back to the cruise ship an hour early.

Read galian84's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image sixl
Jun 2013

Great time. Pestered to death for tips at every turn.

Read sixl's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Member Image travelsalot52
Jun 2013

walk off the ship got into a taxi with 20 others-was $25 each instead of the 60 the ship wanted

Read travelsalot52's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image alanschiff
Apr 2013
I rarely book excusions from the cruise line, but this was a fair deal and I was really glad I did it. Not only was our local guide wonderful, but one of the cruise staff came along to insure everything went smoothly. Although the cruise agent had a clipboard with tons of info to report back to the cruise line, she also took part in all the activities and was really 'one of us' during the whole experience. It was nice to know that MSC cares so much about the quality of excursions that they send agents along to insure the product delivered is exceptional. Well done.
Read alanschiff's full MSC Poesia cruise review
Member Image da_p-potts
Apr 2013
Physically, a bit demanding, but well-worth the money. Highly recommended.
Read da_p-potts's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image Jarnocan
Mar 2013
I LOVE that we got there VERY early!!!! This place gets crazy but the workers are quite good at supporting you. Sometimes I felt the hand holding made it a bit more difficult but overall can see why it is necessary to keep people on the right track. A man in our group did injure his ankle and have to exit. It is overall a fun place to see and climb once. If you are not fairly coordinated and have good stamina,don't bother. Also if you are not comfortable with crowds and able to be very cooperative skip it.
Read Jarnocan's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Provider: Peat Taylor
Member Image CruiseFanatic0304
Mar 2013
This was a great excursion; if you love adrenaline and high speed boat rides, getting soken wet, along with tropical paradise surroundings then you will love this excursion! These people are great tour guides since they are a couple from America i believe, but they own this excursion which makes this experience more personal from my opinion! I wish we did have mroe time on the boat doing tricks and seeing the beauty, but overall this was a great shore excursion off the boat!
Read CruiseFanatic0304's full Carnival Victory cruise review
Member Image bizfun
Mar 2013
If you plan on doing the Dunn's River Falls, you need to know a few things: 1. It's not for small children and it truly requires physical ability. 2. Even though you pay to actually climb up the falls, when you get there you have the option to just watch others - was a total bummer because we paid a pretty penny to sit and watch others. If you do not plan on climbing and just want to watch people, see if there is a way to pay a lesser fee. 3. BUY/BRING WATER SOCKS/SHOES!! YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS IN SNEAKERS OR SANDALS!
Read bizfun's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Nikki Lisette
Mar 2013
I felt like we were rushed on the Dunn's River Falls tour which in essence may have led to me fracturing my toe on an underwater rock. While the climb up the falls is leisurely and refreshing, the constant drive to "have fun" and "shake your booty" was a little bit over the top. The tour guide and photogs are interested in only one thing: Money! So the quicker you get up the falls and act a fool, the better. They capture all moments on a DVD and hustle you heavily for it at the end of the tour. Holding hands for a rock climb is wrong and dangerous and yet they kept insisting we hold each other's hands, forming a chain of slip, sliding tourists. After the first level, I stopped holding anyone's hands so that I could keep my balance and enjoy myself. Staying in a group was unnecessary as well. The only purpose of the group was so that the photogs knew where to find your video at the end. You can climb the Falls without a group, at your own pace. There were so many groups that the scene was a madhouse on the falls. Anyhow, I slammed my toe into an underwater rock when our tour guide kept insisting that we move quickly up the rocks and into the next photo op area. After leaving the falls midway, I limped to the First Aid station where I was splinted and reminded that Dunn's River takes no responsibility for my injury. No problem mon, not much you can do for a hairline fracture anyway. Anyway, I rested under the trees near the tour guides and photogs while waiting for my group to finish. Interesting the conversations they had. Cruise ship tourists are called Movie Stars. They complained amongst themselves the lack of revenue the Movie Stars were providing that day and joked about charging the "heavies" more to climb the falls because they required more assistance. Whatever. I laughed along with them! When in Rome... right?
Read Nikki Lisette's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image NewEngland900
Mar 2013
Not a fan but it may have been because we had a bad guide. I am in shape and typically up for just about anything, but this guide ran us up the waterfalls with little time to enjoy the view and he did not take into consideration the other 20 people in the group. He picked the hardest route up the falls, right up the middle, and we passed other groups along the way! Not too mention, splashing right in the eyes whenever he had the chance trying to get us to 'have fun and laugh' who can laugh when we are all trying to keep from slipping on the rocks? The water was flowing very hard and the current was pushing some people off balance as well. Wear good water shoes and try to get a good guide. Also note; this place has lockers for rent as you do not want to carry anything up the falls, nothing,(one family was not told and paid for everyone to climb while one person got stuck behind watching the valuables and they would not return her money). You will need both hands available to hold onto your partners and you will get soaked along the way.
Read NewEngland900's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image quercus alba
Mar 2013
Pushy vendors... falls are nice, even though I managed to injure myself.
Read quercus alba's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Provider: Courtney Taylor
Member Image Reldan
Mar 2013
I'm giving this a 4 instead of a 5 simply because I don't like it when tours make an unannounced stop at a shopping area and try to cajole you into buying from a specific shop. Otherwise the operators were very friendly and prompt and the Falls themselves were magnificent. The lunch was served at a local restaurant and was a simple buffet of jerk chicken and pork and rice and still managed to be much better than anything we ate on the ship all week.
Read Reldan's full MSC Poesia cruise review
Provider: Moby Dick
Member Image Forever Autumn
Mar 2013
we just drove there to drop others off
Read Forever Autumn's full MSC Poesia cruise review
Member Image lgbill
Feb 2013
Did the climb. Amazed at how dangerous it seemed to be. Peddlers on way to bus were very aggressive. Just go straight to bus and avoid the tourist trap walkway.
Read lgbill's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image katefur
Feb 2013
Dunn's River Falls is a beautiful place. We did not hike the falls but went to the beach instead. There are about 75-100 steps to get down to the base of the falls and the beach. Although we left bags, etc. in lockers I didn't feel 100% safe leaving our camera, and clothing on a table while we swam. To exit the falls area, you are required to go through a market of locals selling things. This was very unpleasant because the sellers were in your face, putting beads around your neck, saying they are free and then asking for money. Prices were exorbitantly high and the value of items poor. If there was a way not to go through this area, I would certainly recommend doing so.
Read katefur's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image Mahtomedi
Feb 2013
Great fun to climb the falls. The water was cold, but when climbing it felt good. It was pretty strenuous. The guide we had was pushy, kept trying to go in front of other groups. There is also a natural water slide you can slide, was fun. Also they have you do a backward plunge. There was someone taking a movie of our group which we bought. It was fun to see the movie when we returned. The CD was $40
Read Mahtomedi's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image LLA68
Feb 2013
TOO many people for me to enjoy myself, but Dunns' River Falls is the most popular attraction in Jamaica ... won't have to do it again.
Read LLA68's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image Airbubble
Jan 2013
Was ok, tough going for kids or older people, you need to be reasonably fit to walk them. Pestered at the end and followed by the tour guide to the bus to receive a tip.
Read Airbubble's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image Love2Dance4Me!
Jan 2013
Cool Runnings Catamaran Sail and Dunn's River Falls climb: This included a catamaran sail to the Dunn's River Falls, a climb of the falls and sail back. I was very apprehensive about climbing the falls but my guide assured me I would be fine" and he made sure he had a hold of my hand every step of the way! It was definitely worth doing! The sail back to the ship had the rum punch flowing freely.
Read Love2Dance4Me!'s full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image Emilip
Dec 2012
AMAZING everyone should do it.
Read Emilip's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image RovinBee
Dec 2012
Our taxi driver informed us we didn't need a pre booking to get into the Falls and it was only $20. per person. He walked us right in and we experienced the Falls in about an hour, not the onboard approximation of 4+ hrs that made us think we'd have to pass it up.
Read RovinBee's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: in person
Member Image toybiz4u
Dec 2012
The falls were great and really thrilling for the kids and us. Definitely a highlight of this port. If we get back to this port again we will do the falls again for sure. The bus staff was great in that they took us to specific shopping spots and accommodated requests for a jerk chicken stop.
Read toybiz4u's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image nkslewis
Dec 2012
It wasn't a "tour" but really just pick up/drop off service. We've done Dunn's River Falls before and DH wanted to do it again. The vampire-like vendors at the craft market must be avoided at all costs. They ruined the experience for us.
Read nkslewis's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Know Jamaica
Member Image buffy6037
Dec 2012
Dunns River was amazing. However, we had thought there would be more areas where the children and family who weren't climbing could play in the water while we climbed the falls. This was not the case. You either climbed or you sat on benches next to the falls. Still had a great time, and our tour guide Lopez was great. Main complaint is that it is very confusing figuring out what tour bus to get on at the end of the trip.
Read buffy6037's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Gojirart
Dec 2012
We had originally planned to walk up the falls. As we walked down to the area and saw the amount of water and the distance of the walk, we decided to just enjoy the view instead! The falls is very beautiful. There are steps that follow alongside that are wide and easy to walk, with small viewing and rest areas along the way. There are lockers you can rent if you are planning to walk to falls. You really can't carry a backpack or anything of substance. You WILL get wet. In some areas, the water was at least adult waist high. People had to hold hands as they climbed, so it was difficult to take photos if you were climbing. Don't even think about using a non-waterproof camera! Of course, they had people taking photos and videos the whole time that they were more than happy to sell you. Leaving the park, you must walk through an area of vendors. They are very pushy. If there is anything you might be interested in buying, offer about a third of their asking price and walk away if they don't take it. There will be another vendor more than willing to have your business. When we left, we took a shuttle bus according to our wrist band color and could choose our next stop.
Read Gojirart's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image Trixie1965
Dec 2012
Dunn's River was fun, but the crafters were annoying!!! If the Jamaicans just let us browse, we would shop and buy things.... We had so many warnings about Jamaica. I will never return.
Read Trixie1965's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Provider: Courtney
Member Image mttenn
Dec 2012
very commercialised, v busy, had booked the bobsled in the pm but it was closed due to voting day, if p@o had told us , we could have done the bobsleigh in the am and the falls in the pm!!! shops nr the port were tacky, and the people 'in your face'. hated it!
Read mttenn's full Azura cruise review
Provider: P&O Cruises
Member Image megan}i{
Read megan}i{'s full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image NurseLovesVacation
Dec 2012
Ocho Rios We loved it here. We were in a group of 6 in our late 20s and loved the feel of this place. Yes, everybody bugs you to buy their junk. Yes, they all openly offer you weed. We found it hilarious. We got off the ship, and hired a guide to drive us around for $15 each. He took us all around the city for about 3 hrs and had a great time. We went to the Dunn's River Falls (MUST do AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE-we were probably the first 30 or so people in this place and walked the falls basically alone. By the time we were done there were thousand of people doing the walk and that would have been terrible). The falls was just amazing! We also went to a lookout point looking over the bay, and then shopping in a remote outdoor market up on the hill and away from the HUGE market down below in the tourist zone. Then the driver took us to the Jerk chicken center-yum! Overall we had a great day in Jamaica. Definitely has a third world feel, but it felt very authentic.
Read NurseLovesVacation's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image kamomilt
Nov 2012
We climbed the falls, and it was amazing!!! It was difficult, but with the great help of the Falls guides, we made it up the entire falls. This was a once in a lifetime kind of day!
Read kamomilt's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image GoonPlatoon
Nov 2012
Real nice. TIP: Buy a cheap water proof camera! You will love the results. Don't forget water shoes, or they will make you but a pair right before. $10 or so, I think renting a pair was an option, but avoid that hassle.
Read GoonPlatoon's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image JoAnn&Mike
Nov 2012
My husband is 64 and I am 60 and we made it up the Dunn's River Falls!!! Now we came home with a few reminders of our climb...lol. Scrapes, bruises, one small cut, and sore the next day... Lol. We had a blast!!!! Took us a little over an hour but we did it!!! They should give you a little button to wear...something like. "I DID IT!!" If you've not climbed the falls I strongly suggest you at least try!! There are many "exits" along the way. You can get out at any time you feel you can't continue or just don't want to continue. Now the only thing I actually wished we had as we climbed was a guide. Mark Morris will take you to the falls and your tour $ includes the cost of the falls...but not with a guide. Having a guide to tell you the best rocks to step on, or if its better to go to the left or right side would have made it a little easier. But, not having one, we can actually say .... We climbed the falls!!! It was a lot of fun!!
Read JoAnn&Mike's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image charmyworld
Nov 2012
The excursion was in the afternoon (we docked at 2 p.m.) and we reached the beach when the sun was already down. We enojoyed the falls although it was quite a "strong" experience, but we recommend to do this excursion only if you have all day and not only one afternoon!
Read charmyworld's full Costa Mediterranea cruise review
Member Image old bert
Nov 2012
We never got to the falls! After being told by a ticket "tout" at the ship that entrance to the falls was included in the $20 fee, the bus crew said it was not (the falls are about 2 kms from the ship) Following a major scene, most had their money refunded. We opted to stay with the bus which after negociation took us on a tour of Ocho Rios area instead, including a beach stop. The port itself was the worst we have ever seen, it turned out that it was a bauxite-loading pier. The corrugated metal sheeting which formed the abandoned buildings waved gently in the breeze! In the run-down and dirty town we were constantly accosted by beggars, drug sellers and street vendors.
Read old bert's full Costa Mediterranea cruise review
Member Image Crew News
Nov 2012
The port appeared to be a very dilapidated warehouse. Very aggressive vendors at Dunn's Falls that cannot be avoided as all visitors must funnel through their area.
Read Crew News's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image Thoc123
Sep 2012
We didnt book this through the ship because we didnt think we would have time to do it with our other excursions. Once we were finished with the Mystic Mountain excursion, we paid $10 p/person and was taken by bus to Dunn's River Falss (which was literally around a corner and we could have walked, but it was very hot)The extrance fee was $20 p/p. the waterfalls were very pretty and they ran onto the beach which was unique for us. You have to watch out for the locals though. They attached themselves to you as soon asyou walked through the gates and they expected a tip for anything. I went to the ladies room and when I walked out, there was a lady sitting in a chair probably about 30 feet away and she said "my tip jar is over here" I asked her what I was supposed to tip her for and she said "I'm the bathroom attendant". I laughed and informed her that maybe she should attend to the bathroom then because someone had vomitted in it and there was no toilet paper in most of the stalls.Beware of the "free beads for your beautiful wife" they are NOT FREE! and when you exit the park, you have to walk through the "craft village" which is a bunch of huts with very aggressive people attempting to get your attention so you can buy their wares. The waterfalls are worth it though, just practice saying "no thank you" about 1000 times.
Read Thoc123's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image CruzRelaxer
Aug 2012
Way too crowded for such a dangerous activity. If one person fell, there would be an avalanche of people falling. And falling in this activity means broken bones. There are too many people trying to hawk you their goods upon exit.
Read CruzRelaxer's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image MrChocoholic
Aug 2012
Everything we expected and more, especially the price of the DVDs we bought from the tour operators to back up our own photos and video. Nevertheless, most of the passengers unfamiliar with Jamaica were warned about the aggressive salespeople everywhere, especially at the end of the Dunn's River Falls climb, and appreciated Carnival for being honest. Guide Wilana was knowledgeable and sweet to my kid. Made the Falls climb from bottom to top, only fell twice (not far) and was grateful there were sufficient tour guides around to catch me.
Read MrChocoholic's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image radtechmom
Jul 2012
Our combination tour began with boarding a bus with our guide, Camille and bus driver Joe. The bus ride from Falmouth to the falls was almost an hour. But Camille made the ride fun and enjoyable. We have been to the falls before and know that it can be difficult for people as it can be a bit strenuous. Don't forget your water shoes! They try to sell you an expensive dvd with pictures they take as you climb or a video - but they ask 40.00- which is a bit much. Take your own water camera - much cheaper!
Read radtechmom's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image love the sea1
Jun 2012
Decided on Dunn Falls. Hired a private taxi that cost us $10 each and $20 for the Falls. Had a great time, although it is obvious the Falls have been 'man' enhanced. As for the shopping in Ocho Rios, not very good. You can get it done in an hour. Nothing unusual, just the typical tourist merchandise. And yes, you will be offered 'pot' on the street.
Read love the sea1's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image 1st_anniversary
Jun 2012
Great experience. Guides are great and the water is refreshing. Don't be afraid of the fact that its a little physical - its very doable for all activity levels. Bring your own water shoes or come prepared to buy. Be very weary of the vendors outside the falls - they are very aggressive!
Read 1st_anniversary's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image LadyLion_AP
Jun 2012

Ocho Rios...It is true what they say...you will be harassed by the natives, but this did not stop us from having fun. We learned to say, "No thanks Man!"
We booked "Dunn's River Falls and the Dolphin Cove". Climbing the falls was so much fun. It seemed never-ending in the moment, but ended up being a blast! The Dolphin Cove wasn't that great, as the show was somewhat boring. I'd suggest booking another excursion which includes the falls. Some people swam with the dolphins. That looked like more fun.

Read LadyLion_AP's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image Caitinmountain
Jun 2012
We were met at Margaritaville by our driver and taken to Dunns River Falls. We bought cheap water shoes and they really came in handy on this excursion! We left all our bags on the mini-bus and they were safe because the driver locked the van, so we did not have to buy a locker for our stuff. They do take pictures that you can buy at the exit area, shops are also on the way towards the exit--some vendors are very persistent. Be brave and tell them NO.
Read Caitinmountain's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image Joyful100
Apr 2012
I thought this was a great way to see and find out a bit about Jamaica. We first went to Dunn River Falls where the adventurous climbed the 600 ft falls, while the less adventurous took pictures and sat on the beach. We were shown some local points of interest and taken to a beautiful botantical garden. We ended the tour with an opportunity to shop for some souvenirs.
Read Joyful100's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image Aloha Girl 1
Apr 2012
A once in a lifetime experience! Only downside was the tour guide taking us up the water fall who basically bullied us into tipping him--we were already going to tip him but he was just rude!
Read Aloha Girl 1's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image coppicekids
Apr 2012
This was manic and I had never seen or expected to see so many people in one place claibing a waterfall. Our guide was great and really looked after us as at some points I did not think I would get the children up it but it was a great experience.
Read coppicekids's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image cookie_cutie
Apr 2012
If you've never climbed a water fall - it was so cool! Bring good water shoes or you can rent or buy them on site (not sure on cost). it will cost you 5 bucks for a locker (8 up front)
Read cookie_cutie's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image cjlgd9603
Apr 2012
Okay. Beautiful! Crazy climbing the falls! I am very atheltic and fit and I bit the dust once. It was the most amazing family event we have done. This is the TO DO if your port is Ocho Rios
Read cjlgd9603's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image tappyZ
Mar 2012
This was a very good excursion. I am not normally the excursion with the ship type person but in Jamaica - yes, I am. We met our guide at the end of the long pier and she took us to the bus introduced herself and we were off. Told us many facts about the town and island. Angelica was great. Took care of us the whole day, went to the falls where Peter and Maurice were our guides. Maurice carried my camera and took some great shots for us. Very crowded and water was freezing but fun! (lockers are available for small fee and you really don't want to carry anything!!) Commercialized too much but a must do. Angelica was waiting on our exit of the falls and we went back to the bus where (walked thru the shopping village which she got us thru very quickly - pushy vendors) we rode thru town and then to a private beach for unlimited food and rum punch/red stripe beer..Red Stripe is my new favorite. The beach wasn't as beautiful as I had hoped and there were no lounge chairs, just sitting chairs. But, Angelica served us all the food/drink we could have wanted without ever having to get up at all. Music/entertainment was so,so... We had about 1 hour at the falls and about 3.5 hours at the beach. We were dropped off back at the port and there were a few vendors set up right there to grab t-shirts, etc.. without having to walk back into town...Also, a bar for one more Red Stripe! Recommend!!
Read tappyZ's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image SPFisnew2cruising
Mar 2012
Once in a life time kind of excursion for us. It was something we have never done and we all enjoyed it. Our Falls guide, Phillip was awesome. He made sure everyone was safe. However my complaint is that the little shacks that you have to walk through in order to get to the parking lot.. be prepared to spend money. NOTHING IS FREE, however they make it seem like they are being nice and offering you a gift. They are good scammers!
Read SPFisnew2cruising's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Provider: Peat Taylor Tours
Member Image gearshift
Mar 2012
We were very happy with this due to the fact that my wife and i were the only ones on this tour climbing the falls. We had our own personal guide. We saw the crows from the princess excursion holding hands trying to get up the falls. They must have had a line of 80 people!
Read gearshift's full Island Princess cruise review
Provider: Yarde Tours
Member Image afpugh
Mar 2012
We climbed the falls with help from a wonderful guide! Would recommend this tour.We were tendered in at this port, never our favourite to get ashore
Read afpugh's full Costa Atlantica cruise review
Member Image tfmd
Feb 2012
Dunn's fall was merely OK. I expected this long exciting waterfall with a big drop. Actually it was steep in some spots but overall nothing much to it.
Read tfmd's full Costa Atlantica cruise review
Member Image tjbear010
Feb 2012
MONEY WELL SPENT. THE FALLS WERE ALOT OF FUN AND SEEMED TO BE ENDLESS.
Read tjbear010's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image PGHenry
Feb 2012
Cool Running's catamaran and falls tour. The cat was a great way to get there. it would be nice if they did not hound you to buy their pictures and their "cool runnings" clothes, but a good time. The falls were crowded, but still a good time.
Read PGHenry's full Carnival Destiny cruise review
Member Image DeliaPug
Feb 2012
This excursion was very misleading. I was under the impression that you go on a hike, see the falls, then came back. You actually are required to join a human chain and hike up the waterfall. We did not feel that this was safe. We were also forced to spend $8 on a locker to hold our things so that they wouldn't get drenched. We did not have the right shoes and I almost didn't bring a swimming suit because the description was so hazy. We opted not to go on the hike and we had to wait for two hours for the rest of our group to complete the hike.
Read DeliaPug's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image golfingfool
Feb 2012
Great experience except for the EXIT where you are hawked and harrassed by all the vendors.
Read golfingfool's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image hannah_cruise
Feb 2012
There were about 300 people trying to climb Dunn's Falls at the same time which was disappointing. Very crowded and actually a mostly man-made water fall so the experience was not as interesting as I thought. The people in Jamaica were VERY pushy trying to get us to buy souvenirs, etc. A lot of passengers complained about how uncomfortable it was.
Read hannah_cruise's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image Mr and Mrs C
Jan 2012
Our group agreed this was the best port of all! At first we were going to stay on the boat after reading many scary reviews, but then we found Mark Morris tours and after reading several great reviews on CC we booked him. He was great in answering questions about the tour, and I would recommended him fully. We got in a newer styled van with his assistant and went to Dunn's River Falls. Mark was there with another group, and helped get us all organized once we got there. Yes the falls were extremly busy, but soooo worth it. I would go back and do it again if I could! After the falls we drove up Fern Gully, that was an amazing trip up the mountain, very beautiful. We then went shopping in a strip mall type of place, and shopping was enjoyable, not pushy at all. Apparently the market was very pushy. Last stop was jerk chicken for lunch, it was very good, not sure the kitchen would pass health inspections, but we lived to tell the tale!
Read Mr and Mrs C's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Provider: mark morris
Member Image Redcab
Dec 2011
Our guide asked us if we wanted to go up the easy way or the hard way. We took the hard way which wasn't really that hard (kids and middle age parents) and had a great wet time!
Read Redcab's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image Redcab
Dec 2011
A lot of fun! Just remember to bring money for tips... you will be hit up many times...
Read Redcab's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review