Juneau Helicopter Tour Excursion Reviews

Juneau Helicopter Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Helicopter tours are a must-do in Alaska and it's easy to understand why. Nothing beats the view of Juneau's glaciers and icy waters from above.
Member Image cjvagabond
Sep 2014

This was the thrill of a lifetime. Two hours flying over the Juneau Icefields. Sat in front with the pilot and had an exceptional view of everything. Landed twice on different glaciers and spent a bit of time walking around. Was worth every cent and if given the opportunity, would do it again.

Read cjvagabond's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image Foodie at Large
Sep 2014

Best trip ever.
Took us up to the Mendenhall Glacier and dropped us off. We hiked the glacier until he came back for us.

Read Foodie at Large's full Celebrity Century cruise review
Member Image bobndiatsea
Aug 2014

Here we scheduled the helicopter flight to the glacier and let me tell you…WELL WORTH THE PRICE…one of our best planned excursions ever!!!!!!!

Read bobndiatsea's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image Sojournersolstice
Jul 2014

A week before departing for the cruise, I purchased a helicopter icefield excursion from Coastal Helicopter. A company representative very conveniently picked me up where the ship docked. The glacial views from the helicopter were breathtaking. That particular day the helicopter landed on Herbert glacier and we then walked as far as the terrain permitted with the pilot accompanying us. The glacier was exceptionally slippery since it had rained the previous day. The glacier looked just like advertisement, emanating the azure blue light. The $275 price was a bargain compared to the Norwegian excursion price. On the return I asked a coastal representative to recommend a whale excursion tour. They dropped me off in town rather than the ship where I could purchase a whale watching excursion. Because of time factors I ended up purchasing a Dolphin boat excursion. Based on cruise critic comments, I felt it was a reputable company although I preferred a smaller boat. The whale boat ended being fabulous with seeing approximately 14 different whales up close with many basically engaging in a feeding frenzy. (I had an hour before the Dolphin boat left and I spent most of the time at the Red Dog Saloon. I only purchased a hot chocolate for $4.00 with tip. I sat next to a lady from France sipping a class of hot tea. She was very friendly and a good conversationalist.) My only regret is that I did not have enough time to see Mendenhall glacier other than via the helicopter.

Read Sojournersolstice's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image LilMsFoodie
Jun 2014

Era Helicopter tour with dog sledding on the Juneau Ice field was the highlight of our trip. A 20 minute ride over glaciers and valleys is awe inspiring. We loved learning about the dogs and each were able to mush the team for a short distance.

Read LilMsFoodie's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Member Image Travelgoer
Jun 2014

See my notes under whale watching. Oh, Harv and Marv also take you to Mendenhall Glacier where you can stay long enough to take pictures of the glacier and H & M then take you back OR you can stay out at the glacier and ride the city bus back for a few dollars.

Read Travelgoer's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Coastal Helicopter
Member Image nazarene-lady
May 2014

We booked with Coastal Helicopters -- went over Glaciers and landed to do dog sledding.
Once in a lifetime experience.

Read nazarene-lady's full Grand Princess cruise review
Member Image James M
Sep 2013

The helicopter flight to Mendenhall Glacier has always been a highlight for me whether it was my first one in 1985 or the most recent one this September. Mother Nature is just incredible and the trip makes all those college geology courses come to life immediately upon setting down on the glacier and walking around for about 30 minutes. This time we had 3 young people who helped explain some things and help people from wandering too far away.

It is an expensive tour but I would save up and even do it a 3rd time should I return to Juneau.

Read James M's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image LarBear
Aug 2013

4 glacier helicopter tour with 20-30 minutes on a glacier. If you can afford this, do it! Awesome views of several glaciers from the air, then land on glacier for a 20 minute or so tour. Our guide was excellent, and landing on the glacier was other-worldly, and extremely cool (and cold!, bring a something warm, even if it is warm in Juneau!).

Read LarBear's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image WEGL81
Aug 2013

Experience of a lifetime. Flying over a ridge into the valley with the glacier and other snow-capped mountains was stunning.

Read WEGL81's full Sapphire Princess cruise review
Member Image capecod14
Aug 2013

We did the "Pilot's Choice" tour which meant we did 2 landings on the glacier. Our pilot, George, was very good. Our stops and walks on the glaciers gave us an opportunity to walk around see some amazing sights, actually have an opportunity to drink water that had melted in small pools from the glacier and witness some of the "activity" that takes place in the overall texture of the glacier.

My best recommendation for this trip is to bring walking sticks as it is very uneven surface and can be slippery.

The views during the chopper ride were magnificent and will remain in the "mind's eye" forever.

Read capecod14's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image sailingfinn
Jul 2013

A true highlight. Flying through canyons, valleys and then landing on an isolated glacier ( pilot thought Mendenhall was too crowded). Hard to describe the sensations. Wished I had booked 2 trips back to back.

Read sailingfinn's full Oosterdam cruise review
Provider: Coastal Helicopter
Member Image cuckoo32
Jun 2013

Part of the dog sled tour to get to base camp

Read cuckoo32's full Coral Princess cruise review
Member Image bkghosh
Jun 2013

The helicopter tour and the dog sledding experience was great, but very expensive.

Read bkghosh's full Westerdam cruise review
Member Image FunGranny
Aug 2012
This was a great tour that included dog sledding. Only wish we had more time on the glacier.
Read FunGranny's full Oosterdam cruise review
Member Image CruisingAg01
Jul 2012
I booked a Coastal Helicopters and Dog Sledding tour independent of Carnival. We had one person in our party right on the 250 lb. weight limit and I didn't want to pay an extra half seat for Carnival. Coastal allowed up to 280 lbs. This was an incredible experience and the absolute highlight of our entire trip. My first helicopter ride and it was so smooth and exciting despite my normal apprehension about flying. A driver picked us up right out of the ship and their staff helped us get suited up with protective footwear and rain gear. None of this was necessary due to our perfect weather, but they are prepared.
Read CruisingAg01's full Carnival Spirit cruise review
Member Image PiperNY
Jul 2012
Well organized and had a great time dog sledding on the glaciers.
Read PiperNY's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Member Image rosie1019
Jun 2012
I went on the Tracy Arm Cruise and loved getting up closed with the glaciers, then in the afternoon I went on the Helicopter/ Dog Sledding - Loved the helicopter, but the snow on the glacier was getting soft and trying to walk in 18-20"s of snow was really hard. The dog sledding was fun. My husband went on the fly fishing trip and had a wonderful time- done very well and he caught a lot of the Dolly Varden trout.
Read rosie1019's full Seven Seas Navigator cruise review
Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Member Image dandman14
Jun 2012
Pilots Choice. The price is high for a reason, you get the best experience. As a helicopter pilot myself, I can say this pilot was safe and smooth on the controls.
Read dandman14's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image LOU
Jun 2012
SAME COMPANY DEALING WITH CRUISE LINE BUT OFFERED A DISCOUNT IF BOOKED INDEPENDENTLY. BEST EXPERIENCE OF THE CRUISE.
Read LOU's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Provider: ERA
Member Image lmfan9
Jun 2012
I booked a helicopter ride to the glacier with Coastal Helicopter ($267/person). It was a wonderful experience. They provided a car ride to their helicopter airport. The people were nice and professional. The ride was smooth and calm. We went to Herbert Glacier. It was just incredible. We landed on the glacier and hanged out for about 30 minutes. What a life time experience!!!!!
Read lmfan9's full Golden Princess cruise review
Member Image Pink35
Jun 2012
Left by way of helicopter up to a summit on a glacier and landed. There was a musher dog camp on the glacier where guides took us dog sledding for approximately 1 hour. The guides were very friendly and helped take many pictures with the dogs. We then took a helicopter ride back down to Juneau.
Read Pink35's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Port Promotions
Member Image Watson's aunt
Jun 2012
wonderful. I was lucky to get a front seat. I would be very unhappy if I was seated in the middle in the back seats. I say by the door on way out and said to lady next to me she could sit by the door on way back. Its a wonderful trip. I walked around town and did some shopping. I got a free ulu at some store I was in and when I went in to the federal building I was stopped. I was told to go to the Information center across the street and leave it there.So I did. I remembered it at dinner. I called the next day and they sent it to me I received it this week. Juneau is a beautiful city. I also took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier the weather was getting bad and it started to rain. Its a wonderful place to spend a day here
Read Watson's aunt's full Amsterdam cruise review
Member Image Youbetterbelizeit
Jun 2012

Juneau- we booked through the ship the helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier This is not to be missed ! expensive but worth every penny! The Pilots make you feels so at ease it was a smooth ride there and back. 6 people in each helicopter plus the pilot. They give you boot covers with spikes to put over your shoes. Dress warm.

Read Youbetterbelizeit's full Celebrity Millennium cruise review
Member Image CanWeGoYet?
May 2012
I got the 2 for 1 deal through tour saver coupon book. They picked us up by the tram in Juneau, but unfortunately they must have overbooked & we ended up having to wait nearly 2 hours for our scheduled flight. By this time my stomach was empty, & I get motion sickness really easy if my stomach is empty. Wish I had thought to bring motion sickness meds with me or at least some crackers. We were packed in to the heli like sardines. 4 in the backseat, none of us are what I'd call fat but I could hardly move or breathe we were in so tight. I got awful the whole way, but at least didn't get sick in the helicopter. I felt bad for myself & the other people. Taku glacier was beautiful but I couldn't enjoy the flight, I was glad when it was over.
Read CanWeGoYet?'s full Carnival Spirit cruise review
Provider: ERA
Member Image tbeemer2
May 2012
Awesome Awesome Awesome. Once in a life time oppurtunity to be helicoptered up to a glacier and then play around on it for awhile.
Read tbeemer2's full Carnival Spirit cruise review